Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been farting almost nonstop for two hours.

Tell my family I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

New high point for my HOA. I've had 2 wheels of the Escalade off the driveway and in the grass to give my wife more room to back out while the Juke is still in the garage. I got this little nugget of joy this morning:

quote:

During a recent community inspection on 08/13/19, it was observed that there was a Cadillac SUV with the license plate of xxxx parked in your front yard. If you have not done so already, please remove vehicle from your front yard, per your Association guidelines.

I can't :fuckoff: hard enough. I called so that we can review the pictures they took. Assholes. There's a house across the street that put a loving arbor vidae spite fence in its front yard without repercussions, yet I park with a couple wheels off the grass and it's "parking in the front yard."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

New high point for my HOA. I've had 2 wheels of the Escalade off the driveway and in the grass to give my wife more room to back out while the Juke is still in the garage. I got this little nugget of joy this morning:

I can't :fuckoff: hard enough. I called so that we can review the pictures they took. Assholes. There's a house across the street that put a loving arbor vidae spite fence in its front yard without repercussions, yet I park with a couple wheels off the grass and it's "parking in the front yard."

That sounds like fun to deal with. Our neighbor bordering our backyard tried to tell my wife that our backyard is part of a protected wetland and that I can't legally tear down all the trees and plant grass. Funny how only my backyard was a part of this so called wetland.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

meatpimp posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with people?
i had a neighbouring shop who had a drag car who used to do runs up and down my street and i just went in there and asked them to move it a street over (where there arent any residential buildings) because the cattes kept getting out and i didnt want them smooshed. why wouldnt you just go up to someone and ask them nicely to do whatever?
that said if its not impacting you at all why would you give a poo poo? its not like an escalade slightly on a lawn affects anything

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

big dong wanter posted:

why wouldnt you just go up to someone and ask them nicely to do whatever?

There have been many stories from bad neighbors threads to know this can backfire extremely bad as a reason people may be hesitant to do this.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

Land of the freeeeeeeee :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Lol my mates spare car has been out the front of my house and not moved for two months and no one has said a peep about it! The council just drives the street sweeper around it.

I’m still rocking a 2600k with 16gb of Ram as my main PC... had that thing since the 2600k was first released and all I’ve done to it is throw some SSD’s at it and upgraded the graphics cards. Just picked up a cheap EVGA 1070 superclocked and popped that in and it’s woken the thing rift the hell up- had a 4gb 770 in there before

Laptop is a 2012 MacBook Pro. I ripped out the optical drive and moved the original mechanical drive into that spot and put in an SSD as a boot. The screen has a few funny colour splotches in it from... impacts... but it still keeps trucking along.

Tho if I start getting a bit more serious in my videography stuff with the drone and cameras, I might have to consider upgrading something... I’ve got an old Mac Pro 1,1 that’s now running dual quad cores, but they aren’t hyperthreading and it’s too old to run the modern versions of OS X. Maybe look at picking up a cheap Mac Pro 3,1 or 5,1 and build it into a video rig. Would very much prefer to use Final Cut Pro rather than adobe...

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Travel insurance suggests that I attempt self-sodomy since “police report no signs of forced entry”, i.e. they’re blaming us for the situation. AirBnb obviously gives zero fucks. The only things stolen that nobody’s dicking us about on is my wife’s headphones (Shure SE215s with BT2 cables - like $350 or so), and that’s through the credit card’s purchase protection... :sigh:

Last ditch is to call home insurance provider today. Fingers crossed we’re not actually out the $14k I put on our Visa card last night :suicide:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Jebus gently caress

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

angryrobots posted:

Jebus gently caress

I see what you did there :D

We normally wouldn’t travel with so much $ in electronics but my wife was working on her grad school, I was using music-making to help decompress, and we brought our good camera gear to shoot our friend’s wedding. Perfect storm for getting really taken to the cleaners. Thankfully everything we need on the notebooks is stored in Dropbox / backed up at home, and I’d already pulled the photos so they’re in iCloud. It’s literally just money. It could have been 1,000,000x worse. Neither of us were hurt, had our passports with us, gently caress it. I hope whoever took the poo poo really needed the gear itself or the cash. Make some beautiful art with it or something. We’ll survive. Thanks for the kind words though, thread. :glomp:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You got a police report? gently caress, man, did you suck off the chief inspector? The rest of us just get a "crime number" and that's about it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

HandlingByJebus posted:

Travel insurance suggests that I attempt self-sodomy since “police report no signs of forced entry”, i.e. they’re blaming us for the situation. AirBnb obviously gives zero fucks. The only things stolen that nobody’s dicking us about on is my wife’s headphones (Shure SE215s with BT2 cables - like $350 or so), and that’s through the credit card’s purchase protection... :sigh:

Last ditch is to call home insurance provider today. Fingers crossed we’re not actually out the $14k I put on our Visa card last night :suicide:
drat man. That sucks. Really, really sucks.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Goddamnit, I’m now traveling to an Airbnb tonight and was thinking of bringing my laptop along to write up a few emails and look up some stuff while I’m there. Maybe not, now.

That really blows. Did the flat have a door with a keypad? If they’re not seeing “forced entry” I’m starting to wonder if this is something the host and a particularly dirty friend of theirs worked out in advance.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Oh hai I own a fire truck now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

This is the best thing to ever happen in AI.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

everdave posted:

OMG how much?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

Oh hiace I own a fire truck now

One of these days I need to drive over and see your growing collection. That firetruck is so cool

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

therobit posted:

OMG how much?

Look at this, does it even matter how much?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No, except that we all want one too. How much?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does it have a working siren?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
They usually go for $6-8k. I bid 6 and won for $3500 but I got lucky. Has 3800 (yes 3,800) actual KM

Edit: yes Siren and flashy light still hooked up

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

everdave posted:

They usually go for $6-8k. I bid 6 and won for $3500 but I got lucky. Has 3800 (yes 3,800) actual KM

Goddamn. Nice find.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

everdave posted:

Do you have a thread somewhere on importing Japanese vehicles? I had never even considered the possibility of importing a firetruck and now I feel like I have to have one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

therobit posted:

Do you have a thread somewhere on importing Japanese vehicles? I had never even considered the possibility of importing a firetruck and now I feel like I have to have one.

All everdave and I do these days is import JDM

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829078&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Please post video of siren and lights.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Re: Dremel 3d printer, there's been one on display at KMS since they came out and it's basically always too broken to demo fuckall.

It is unbelievably poo poo, only prints in PLA, and is outrageously expensive for what it is. If you want a 3d printer for home use, jump on Ali Express and get an Ender 3. It does everything the dremel does, plus prints ABS, and PETG. And it's only $250.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 27, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I told my friend and he desperately wants to know how much you'll let it go for.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Please post video of siren and lights.

When it gets here I will do just that

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

big dong wanter posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with people?
i had a neighbouring shop who had a drag car who used to do runs up and down my street and i just went in there and asked them to move it a street over (where there arent any residential buildings) because the cattes kept getting out and i didnt want them smooshed. why wouldnt you just go up to someone and ask them nicely to do whatever?
that said if its not impacting you at all why would you give a poo poo? its not like an escalade slightly on a lawn affects anything

Because it's a HOA; the board members have nothing better to do than to order people around. They're all bored retirees who were bullied their entire lives, or bullied others.

Source: my 91 year old step grandfather is the HOA president in his neighborhood (my dad and stepmother live across the street from him)... when I was visiting, he told my dad "<Dad>, why don't I get that piece of poo poo Saturn towed from in front of your house? It's old as hell and ugly", with me standing there. I replied "Joe, for your information, that piece of poo poo is 4 years newer than the Lexus in your garage, doesn't have a single dent, unlike your Lexus with all of its unrepaired damage from you hitting your garage, house, and multiple parked cars... has perfect paint, less miles, and just got me here from Dallas. And if you'll look on the windshield, it has a brand new registration and inspection."

His answer was "uhh, I meant... a different Saturn. Certainly not your Saturn STR! There was a different one parked there yesterday!" while dad was turning bright purple trying not to laugh his rear end off. His FIL is a retired Army officer of some kind. Dad later told me nobody has ever had the balls to stand up to him within the HOA, because his ex Army officer persona comes out. There's less than 2 dozen houses on the street, and I was definitely the only pauper in a Saturn. (this was the old Saturd, definitely not the piece of poo poo Negative Ions I drive now)

Rhyno posted:

I've been farting almost nonstop for two hours.

I kept crop dusting a coworker (technically one of my boss's now) alllllll night last night.

TBF I warned him "dude, stay upwind of me if you want to keep your dinner in your stomach" more than once. He didn't take my advice seriously until after I heard him dry heaving.

Ripoff posted:

Goddamnit, I’m now traveling to an Airbnb tonight and was thinking of bringing my laptop along to write up a few emails and look up some stuff while I’m there. Maybe not, now.

Keep an old beater laptop for that kind of stuff. Mine's an old Core2 of some kind... I think (same era, anyway). I don't even know. I just know it's painful to use with Windows (even with a SSD), but reasonable with Linux. I remote into my desktop at home if I need actual processing power. The CPU fan on it goes into hairdryer mode if I even stream Hulu.

I couldn't give 2 shits if someone curbstomps it to dust. There's nothing actually stored on it outside of the OS; it's basically used as a thin client. It's not quite as painful as the PowerPC-era Mac I have as a footrest, but it's slow.

I need to get a new battery for it, it runs for about 10 minutes now. Or maybe just a newer laptop. If that happens some unfortunate goon will wind up with it for AI:SS.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 27, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Ripoff posted:

That really blows. Did the flat have a door with a keypad? If they’re not seeing “forced entry” I’m starting to wonder if this is something the host and a particularly dirty friend of theirs worked out in advance.

I had the same idea, or else someone in the same building who knows how to break in easily.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Or it's just a house and residential locksets are insanely easy to bump / rake which wouldn't show a goddamn sign of anything. I lost my keys once and had a locksmith bump me into my house and it was almost disturbing how quickly he got through three locks. I've spent more time fumbling with my keys than that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We should just skip to January 2020 before somebody gets killed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You mean the date of the apocalypse?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

No, that's still 31st October.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

You're thinking November 5th 2024

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It was Jan 20 2027. We're all dead.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tremek posted:

You may be able to install it but FreeNAS has two peculiar but important requirements around RAM:

1) I think 8GB is the minimum, and

2) They highly suggest you use ECC RAM so that in conjunction with ZFS, you can prevent bit rot and not write a bad bit back to the disk array. While the reasons for this aren’t quite as dire as the freenas nerds would have you believe, it’s still not a bad idea.

So far I continue to be happy with it chooching along without having to do much after initial config. 16-32GB ECC RAM is probably the second largest expense following disks but I think it’s worth it.

Geoj posted:

ECC DDR3 is dirt cheap right now, especially if you're willing/able to use 4GB modules.

Thanks, will have to research. Minis use laptop RAM, and not sure if they support ECC.
Might just punt and grab a cheap-ish HP or Lenovo SFF desktop to use. I would grab an USFF (or "micro PC") but my Lacie drives have USB (2.0), FireWire 400/800, and eSATA, so I'd really like to get a FireWire or eSATA card to use in the PC, if possible.
Ugh, this is getting complex.

Raluek posted:

...but if you're planning on slamming an HFS+ drive into freenas, it's not going to be the most frictionless experience. You can probably get it to work, but that's not a supported configuration.

Hang on. FreeNAS can read HFS+? That might make moving the files a bit easier. I'd prefer to use ZFS for "production", but if I can move from one drive array to another on the same machine, that would be smoother. Though, I guess if it's too much trouble I'll find another way.

Ferremit posted:

Laptop is a 2012 MacBook Pro. I ripped out the optical drive and moved the original mechanical drive into that spot and put in an SSD as a boot. The screen has a few funny colour splotches in it from... impacts... but it still keeps trucking along.

I did the same thing to my MBP 2012 when the optical drive poo poo itself. And I realized that I didn't notice for, like months. That SSD boot drive really woke it up.

quote:

Tho if I start getting a bit more serious in my videography stuff with the drone and cameras, I might have to consider upgrading something... I’ve got an old Mac Pro 1,1 that’s now running dual quad cores, but they aren’t hyperthreading and it’s too old to run the modern versions of OS X. Maybe look at picking up a cheap Mac Pro 3,1 or 5,1 and build it into a video rig. Would very much prefer to use Final Cut Pro rather than adobe...

Mine Pro is a 5,1, if I recall correctly. I have no issue with it other than they are power pigs, and I leave mine on all the time.

STR posted:

It's not quite as painful as the PowerPC-era Mac I have as a footrest, but it's slow.

Holy poo poo, even I won't go there, even Mac idiot aficionado that I am.
Now, my Mac SE running System 7, or my LCIII running OS9? Heck, yeah - real retro-gaming! I've got *so many* floppies and CDs of '90s Mac games and software.
What? Of course they are perfectly legal backups.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

InitialDave posted:

No, that's still 31st October.
The US: "We're the stupidest place on the planet"
The UK: "Hold my gin & tonic"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Give us until the next election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

T-Square posted:

Guess who pulled a stainless pan out of a 450F oven on Sunday night, and then promptly grabbed it again without an oven mitt? :downs:

At least I got good drugs and a day off work out of it.

I did that last year; I was making steak and ale pie and I had just pulled the dutch oven out of the oven and I set it on the stovetop for a moment while I finished preparing the pastry. I went back and grabbed the dutch oven without my oven mitts on, like, full-on grabbed the handles and held on tight for about a fraction of a second before I dropped it back to the stovetop. At least it didn't spill or do damage to the glass cooktop when I dropped it.