Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bofast posted:

I would only do that if it was Disney in Tokyo. At least then I could have a marginally more exotic variant of food poisoning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz0EjPogxVE

This, but for food poisoning.

peter gabriel posted:

I'm the lone wolf dropping mines in space

As part of a team.

trucutru posted:

And the have much better dinner events

Well, except for the ones in February.

Beet Wagon posted:

I cant loving believe THIS is the thing that's got legs with the press lol

Wait until they get a load of Kayak.

Taxxe:

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Holy poo poo all this bad press about the minelayer ship is pretty amazing, CR has got to be steaming mad.

He'll console himself with the $700k+ new cash the ship has brought in :shepspends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzS5T7oM-Gw&t=33s

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Incoming comms:

"Hey you there, I see you have something valuable, give it to me or I will rip it from your cold dead hands - lust is on my mind"

Is it:
1) The never before seen AI acting like a human
2) A real life commando mistaking cargo for a potato
3) CI¬G's marketing team

the answer is YES

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

MedicineHut posted:

I really really hope the "Star Citizen is the Fyre Festival of videogames" slogan catches on among the games community. Everyone knows what a disaster Fyre was.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oSrbQFkJWs

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sadly this question was brought up earlier. A goon pontificated in this thread to just set them up around Port Olisar. Then a whale asked at the "dinner" if this was possible and a dev (who obviously never thought of this possible griefing scenario) said they require fuel to stay in orbit.

I'm sure there will be some mine refueling ship in response.

geosynchronous orbits what the hell are those?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

biglads posted:

Store Citizer : Mines and Citizens, not getting laid since 2012

Well I laughed!

Tough crowd.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I was just having a casual browse of the Cryengine source, and had a disturbing memory of when citizens were saying that CI would make millions just licensing their super enhanced 64 bit positioned MMO version of Cryen... Lumberyard? Is that still a thing? Was I just imagining it?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

cynic posted:

I was just having a casual browse of the Cryengine source, and had a disturbing memory of when citizens were saying that CI would make millions just licensing their super enhanced 64 bit positioned MMO version of Cryen... Lumberyard? Is that still a thing? Was I just imagining it?

No, that's a thing that happened. In fact CIG is reinventing all kinds of never-seen-before technology and once the games industry gets wind, they'll bow and scrape for the rights to license all this technology. That extra income, along with the tech itself, will really start to turn Star Citizen around.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I hope the mine fuel also costs real-life dollars. I hope EVERYTHING costs real-life dollars.* **

*game not included
**game not designed

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

cynic posted:

I'm pretty sure they just changed some floats to doubles so CPU and GPU software could convert them back to floats and called it a day.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I cant loving believe THIS is the thing that's got legs with the press lol

I'd love to know how much money this cynical act of theft on CIG's part wound up costing them on the back end. Sure you got a bit of cash today, but you lost even more backers who were on the fence, or at least leaning against it, and an unknown number of potential backers now have even more access to press releases that, bit by bit, are beginning to reflect the actual state of the project. They either didn't care because they were desperate for immediate cash at any cost, or they're deluded enough to be surprised by the backlash.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Baxta posted:

I'm pretty sure they just changed some floats to doubles so CPU and GPU software could convert them back to floats and called it a day.

I'm pretty sure YOU don't understand game engine development. It's revolutionary; Chris Roberts says so.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So my understanding with the game as it sits is that you log into an instance at random and hope it doesn't have more than a few players. In theory it would then allow you to add more geometry to a level that tends to lag on geometry as it is.

Also anything you may leave in the instance may stay there when you log off, but you'll never know because you don't log onto the same instance every time.

I think what CIG has done here is create a ship where it "doesn't make sense" in this context to include it in the game. So they don't really have to produce anything for the money they've been given until a time which seems to be much later than the timeframe envisioned for this game by it's current braintrust.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
All I can hear
I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.
Even those tears
I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.
No-one's frightened of playing it
Ev'ryone's saying it,
Flowing more freely than wine,
All through' the day I me mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seqaTuXkqFI

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I was thinking about it today and SC basically sells rubes on the concept of a gamified space larp.

Has any game that promised those kinds of tools ever succeeded outside of some of the earliest MUDs? Second life, I guess?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

cynic posted:

I'm pretty sure YOU don't understand game engine development. It's revolutionary; Chris Roberts says so.

You are correct. Because it is CR they didnt actually change the definitions, they just cast floats as doubles.

gently caress i'm pissing myself off with my idiotic code ideas today. Sorry everyone.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Baxta posted:

You are correct. Because it is CR they didnt actually change the definitions, they just cast floats as doubles.

gently caress i'm pissing myself off with my idiotic code ideas today. Sorry everyone.

Actually CIG casts all variables as the money type.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sickens me how Beet is monetizing his popularity.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sickens me how Beet is monetizing his popularity.

Completely blew off my signature request.

He's *changed*.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Bofast posted:

"Some people had no dishes", "there wasn't enough potatoes for all", "not enough bread for the starters", "portions were really small sized".
How are these people ok with paying several hundred dollars and being treated so poorly? :psyduck:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

So, Sam's only ever worked at places with enough employees that you can get around a table. Good to know.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hav posted:

So, Sam's only ever worked at places with enough employees that you can get around a table. Good to know.

I like his "high-end" qualifier, immediately contradicted by his description. I've probably not attended proper "high-end" events, but I've attended countless "medium-end" events which did things like reserve entire venues just for the company. Hotels, parks, restaurants, etc. where you set aside x number of hours outside normal operating hours so your company gets exclusive access. I'd assume high-end events would be lavish and ridiculous. You certainly wouldn't be crammed elbow to elbow with anyone.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Yep, that's exactly how they all look mate, I'm sure your boss has been telling you that, instead of a pay rise he'll take you on a high end dinner, and I'm sure it looked just like this - fifteen years running of shuffling up on a bench and trying to get to the spuds before your greedy nerd neighbour does.

Keep on living high on the hog there feller.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Someone sat him in a litter tray and told him it was the ritz.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
When I go fine dining I like to be crammed on a bench with no room to eat my potato

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
9 upvotes, a minimum of 9 reditors agree.
This is comforting and funny

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

When I go fine dining I like to be crammed on a bench with no room to eat my potato

you got a whole potato? look at mr highend here

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

9 upvotes, a minimum of 9 reditors agree.
This is comforting and funny

Well they're crammed onto that bench next to somebody.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

I like his "high-end" qualifier, immediately contradicted by his description. I've probably not attended proper "high-end" events, but I've attended countless "medium-end" events which did things like reserve entire venues just for the company. Hotels, parks, restaurants, etc. where you set aside x number of hours outside normal operating hours so your company gets exclusive access. I'd assume high-end events would be lavish and ridiculous. You certainly wouldn't be crammed elbow to elbow with anyone.

I have attended (and hosted) events like this where we were kind of crammed together, but in all those cases the company was paying for it. Either we were being paid to be there or our clients were getting a free meal. They certainly weren't paying premium prices for their plates.

Oh, and they certainly weren't high-end. I haven't seen any "high-end" restaurants that have group capacity rooms like this, even in Vegas. Those tend to me, like you said, medium-end.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder: no one gives a poo poo about Squadron 42

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
upvoting everyone today who's with me?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
http://depot1899.de/pdf/karte_aktuell.pdf

Fine dining indeed, be it 14 Euro Fish and Chips, or Mushroom Schnitzel for 15.5 Euros.

These guys flew across the Atlantic to eat at Olive Garden!

Edit: Not even that good, doesn't Olive Garden have unlimited breadsticks?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Aw poo poo boys here we go, it's time to RP that we are hardcore military dudes boarding a big spaceship. We will do this by parking the spaceship and leaving the doors open, then constantly forming into loose lines while one guy struts around in front of us. Then we'll kind of half-heartedly shoot at each other until we have 5 minutes of footage, and leave.

Imagine if CoD sold a single map for $1,000 dollars, and also most of the basic features of CoD didn't work. That is Star Citizen's machinima scene right now.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

I've gotten my balls tickled by Intel in Portland, and we had a great little chef's menu served on pieces of slate. Cisco took us all out to this one place that had poo poo on the menu that was so loving rich that I literally couldn't get halfway through.

Honestly, that level of food is completely wasted on me, as I neither appreciate it, nor thing that 'gastronomy' is a science I can be involved in.

But if you happen to be in Frankfurt, I will heartily recommend the Block House (Block House Frankfurt Europa-Allee) about two blocks down from the Israeli embassy. Great steaks, no fuss, no pretension. The Depot is slightly more towards the train station, but it's been a while since I was in Europe.

See, the 'high end' thing is subject to interpretation, but very few 'high end' restaurants offer a set menu for a number of covers. All the 'high end' places I've been still give you an a la carte choice despite the number of covers. As mentioned earlier, one of said 'high end' places not only gave me food poisoning, but I got a call from my credit card company a couple of days later over someone attempting to buy plane tickets to Malaysia.

trucutru posted:

Reminder: no one gives a poo poo about Squadron 42

Tell me more about Dragon dildos, though.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 27, 2019

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

peter gabriel posted:

You are assuming that you'd get a potato?

I'd be the guy that didn't get one... Actually I wouldn't be caught dead sitting there.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hav posted:

I've gotten my balls tickled by Intel in Portland, and we had a great little chef's menu served on pieces of slate. Cisco took us all out to this one place that had poo poo on the menu that was so loving rich that I literally couldn't get halfway through.

Honestly, that level of food is completely wasted on me, as I neither appreciate it, nor thing that 'gastronomy' is a science I can be involved in.

But if you happen to be in Frankfurt, I will heartily recommend the Block House (Block House Frankfurt Europa-Allee) about two blocks down from the Israeli embassy. Great steaks, no fuss, no pretension. The Depot is slightly more towards the train station, but it's been a while since I was in Europe.

See, the 'high end' thing is subject to interpretation, but very few 'high end' restaurants offer a set menu for a number of covers. All the 'high end' places I've been still give you an a la carte choice despite the number of covers. As mentioned earlier, one of said 'high end' places not only gave me food poisoning, but I got a call from my credit card company a couple of days later over someone attempting to buy plane tickets to Malaysia.

You should have stuck with the green sauce.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd love to know how much money this cynical act of theft on CIG's part wound up costing them on the back end. Sure you got a bit of cash today, but you lost even more backers who were on the fence, or at least leaning against it, and an unknown number of potential backers now have even more access to press releases that, bit by bit, are beginning to reflect the actual state of the project. They either didn't care because they were desperate for immediate cash at any cost, or they're deluded enough to be surprised by the backlash.

CIG is in whale country and don't give a poo poo about "backers on the fence" and other losers like that. They have had ample opportunities to send a simple message to calm down regular backers about the lack of progress and so on but, instead of doing so, the have dinner events for the whales where they get to meet the CEO and his brother. They do have time for that.

They know who butters their bread and that the whales are of the kind who will double-down when other people "attack" the game. Expect a ridiculously expensive chariot this November for citcon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Contingency posted:

http://depot1899.de/pdf/karte_aktuell.pdf

Fine dining indeed, be it 14 Euro Fish and Chips, or Mushroom Schnitzel for 15.5 Euros.

These guys flew across the Atlantic to eat at Olive Garden!

Edit: Not even that good, doesn't Olive Garden have unlimited breadsticks?

According to Yelp, the food is actually pretty good. It's a REALLY big place that has capacity for a lot of people, as it's a converted historic train station. That's probably the main reason it was chosen.

It's certainly not a swanky high-end place but I don't really see any reason to insult what looks like a pretty good restaurant due to its association with CIG. The restaurant didn't set that price tag on the event.