Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

One of the few finished areas being run on a supercomputer because framerate is near zero otherwise

Why would performance be so bad? Are they using a bunch of hacky scripts to make spears stab properly or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

Why would performance be so bad? Are they using a bunch of hacky scripts to make spears stab properly or something?

They dont prioritize performance in asset creation or exterior design. Seeing as how it's basically just a screenshot hype machine more high res models + densely packed scenes = great!!

Orv
May 4, 2011

One of the few finished areas being run on a supercomputer because framerate is near zero otherwise

I want to know more.

E: Ah, RIP.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

They dont prioritize performance in asset creation or exterior design. Seeing as how it's basically just a screenshot hype machine more high res models + densely packed scenes = great!!

Ah yes, gotta love that good old open source ethos of punting "actually being usable by human beings in a practical situation" to the bottom of the feature list.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just saw this in the Tamriel rebuilt discord:

Is it for real?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Entropy238 posted:

Is it for real?

If anything it seems a bit optimistic, depending on the degree of detail.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I hope I don't die old and gay by at least 2030.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

raminasi posted:

I just saw this Skywind gameplay video, I think it’s new: https://youtu.be/O85xF9lzgTg Looks pretty slick.

That spear combat was looking pretty good. Not like reskinned axes or swords like they usually are.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

Is it for real?

Yeah. With some more motivated leadership subtract a year from some

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah. With some more motivated leadership subtract a year from some

Why aren't they focusing on connecting Almalexia to the rest of Morrowind? Seems like that should be a priority.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Thirty years. Someone will have been working on this for thirty dang years

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
That’s pretty cool. I like that they’re being realistic with the timescales and have just accepted it’s going to take a decade to finish.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Are there any good town expansion mods? Please no one say Rebirth.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dreamsicle posted:

Are there any good town expansion mods? Please no one say Rebirth.

https://sites.google.com/view/kyromods/guides/guides-town-expansions

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I also asked some time ago if I could add watercolor textures to TR, which I still want to do. If I can get help with that it would be really appreciated as I really want it all to be consistent if possible. All things considered. I guess after I fix that issue I will get over my modding anxiety and give the actual game a go.

Midig fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 26, 2019

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Midig posted:

I also asked some time ago if I could add watercolor textures to TR, which I still want to do. If I can get help with that it would be really appreciated as I really want it all to be consistent if possible. All things considered. I guess after I fix that issue I will get over my modding anxiety and give the actual game a go.

is it possible yes but no ones done it iirc and it would be an absolute pain in the rear end

e: read the watercolored mod's posts and you'll see someone who tells you how to replicate it

you would have to:
-extract the textures from the bsas
-set up your GIMP/photoshop with the correct settings
-find a decent batch plugin
-run it for the 10000000 textures
-hand curate the ones that didn't run properly

peterbitt is a wizard and managed to do this in a reasonably small amount of time. doing this for a project like TR is masochism, dont try

mbt fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 26, 2019

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Entropy238 posted:

Is it for real?

The guy who made it is a Lead Developer who gave his idea of a timetable, so it's as real as that makes it. Probably too optimistic, imo. Our major timesink is quests, which Andothren, Kartur, Verarchen, and the like, will amply eat into. Tackling Narsis will mean we will have to implement the all-encompassing Hlaalu faction questline. It's going to take longer, I fear.

Elman posted:

Why aren't they focusing on connecting Almalexia to the rest of Morrowind? Seems like that should be a priority.
Almalexia is a giant mess and https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/about/frequently-asked-questions/almalexia scratches the surface of it.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 26, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is all still in the Morrowind code base, right? How?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

so it turns out that, because we live in hell and the only outlandish thing about Buffalo Bill is that there was no ending twist where it was revealed that he's nothing out of the ordinary and every other artist is like that too, Jeremy Soule gets his inspiration by raping women

https://twitter.com/alienmelon/status/1166106560809992192?s=19

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

a TR dev made an updated map with more realistic dates

Orv posted:

This is all still in the Morrowind code base, right? How?

why not? morrowinds code base, for all its flaws, holds up remarkably well. the workflow is so much easier to grasp than later games due to its limitations. I tried changing a race in a skyrim mod and the skin went jet black because of mismatched lip animations and i came crawling back to mw instantly

Orv
May 4, 2011

why not? morrowinds code base, for all its flaws, holds up remarkably well. the workflow is so much easier to grasp than later games due to its limitations. I tried changing a race in a skyrim mod and the skin went jet black because of mismatched lip animations and i came crawling back to mw instantly

I was just imagining an eventual limitation on cells or something popping up and ruining everything but I suppose as long as the game is unloading everything properly and it's all set up well that wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

a TR dev made an updated map with more realistic dates

Based on that picture, TR is expected to be complete by next year? Am I reading that weird picture correctly?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Based on that picture, TR is expected to be complete by next year? Am I reading that weird picture correctly?

JEB! is going to win next year's Morrowind elections in a landslide.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

JIUB!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Orv posted:

I was just imagining an eventual limitation on cells or something popping up and ruining everything but I suppose as long as the game is unloading everything properly and it's all set up well that wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

there's two issues for other province mods (that aren't TR)
-map
-origin jitter

the map doesn't go very far, even with the MCP patch you can't see skyrim/cyrodiil worldmap due to how fuckin far out they are.
-openmw fixes this

origin jitter is due to everyones favorite friend floating point math rearing its ugly head. if you go skyrim or cyrodiil in the vanilla engine you might notice npcs shaking a bit. they are so far from the origin that calculating their coordinates starts to round incorrectly. instead of coordinates being like (1500,45000,300) like youd see in tr or morrowind its like (-100000000,30000000, 300) lol. theres only so many digits to go around!!
-openmw makes this less noticeable but it's still there to a degree. I only play/mod TR so its all fine to me

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'll be honest I totally forgot OpenMW was a thing so yeah I imagine that goes a long way. Cool explanation, thanks.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

How is OpenMW going? I though I might check it out in a year or two and see if the multiplayer features are running smoothly and OpenMW itself offering features as good or better than code patch + MGE XE.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Midig posted:

How is OpenMW going? I though I might check it out in a year or two and see if the multiplayer features are running smoothly and OpenMW itself offering features as good or better than code patch + MGE XE.

Multiplayer good, features just about the same as it's been for a while. Has support for the mwse sheathing and mwse graphic herbalism now though.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Any word on fast casting?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

please do not deface the name of a saint in this manner

there's two issues for other province mods (that aren't TR)
-map
-origin jitter

the map doesn't go very far, even with the MCP patch you can't see skyrim/cyrodiil worldmap due to how fuckin far out they are.
-openmw fixes this

origin jitter is due to everyones favorite friend floating point math rearing its ugly head. if you go skyrim or cyrodiil in the vanilla engine you might notice npcs shaking a bit. they are so far from the origin that calculating their coordinates starts to round incorrectly. instead of coordinates being like (1500,45000,300) like youd see in tr or morrowind its like (-100000000,30000000, 300) lol. theres only so many digits to go around!!
-openmw makes this less noticeable but it's still there to a degree. I only play/mod TR so its all fine to me

is it possible to have the game reload a new map with a sane origin? Like you get off a boat, pass thru a census/excise, get a load screen and whitegold tower is (0, 0, 0) now? I assume the game only loads the map right when you start it but idunno

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

so it turns out that, because we live in hell and the only outlandish thing about Buffalo Bill is that there was no ending twist where it was revealed that he's nothing out of the ordinary and every other artist is like that too, Jeremy Soule gets his inspiration by raping women

https://twitter.com/alienmelon/status/1166106560809992192?s=19

loving hell. I gleaned something was off about the dude when his kickstarter imploded the way it did, but, just, holy crap.

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
Yeah that was a harsh as gently caress read, thanks for sharing that Lunchmeat Larry. Pretty shocked I hadn't heard of it yet.

gently caress Jeremy Soule.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

not even last night's clapping could wake you

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

please do not deface the name of a saint in this manner

is it possible to have the game reload a new map with a sane origin? Like you get off a boat, pass thru a census/excise, get a load screen and whitegold tower is (0, 0, 0) now? I assume the game only loads the map right when you start it but idunno

no

the engine creates a blanket of ocean extending essentially infinity in every direction. then it loads its esm/esp files which generate terrain

morrowind.esm slaps a bunch of land right on the origin (which is north of balmora iirc)

the only way to "change the origin" would be to manually move all of tamriel to center on cyrodiil. which also doesnt help because now *everything* has that problem instead of just far out provinces lol. And then all of your scripts that reference set coordinates are broken.

the only realistic suggestion I've heard was to essentially give npcs their own internal coordinates for animations to stop their arms bugging the gently caress out.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah so then the only way the idea would work is when you get to areas with the issue you would have to quit the game and restart with new files that regenerate the map

Basically doing a shell game real fast behind the scenes so that things are shuffled fast enough nobody notices. And I assume this would be basically impossible to accomplish outside something like openmw -- I have a feeling there's not a way to have it do something like

Load save game --> woah they're on another map
Stop and redo the files with the correct map, then load.

If you could do that you could possibly have it so that people could walk from vivec to hammerfel, and while it would gradually bug the gently caress out, every time they loaded the save that would be corrected. At the cost of having a shitload of maps, and the save would flip out and offset all objects into somewhere wrong (except maybe internal cells?)

Maybe you could figure out a way to massage the save file and fix that

But then there is certain to be something that fucks up and breaks everything, and I don't really know anything but I have a feeling there's no way to effect things upstream. If you designed it so that traveling between areas about the size of bug radius forced this, like using census offices like airlocks, you could make it seem fairly natural, but you would have to be able to do something like

Enter excise office to cyrodil --> player is at -50000, -50000, 400 -> save game --> somehow shunt all information like what number of pillows you stacked on the roof of balmora's mage guild into a holding area that won't load and leave them floating above the palace or some poo poo

Quit to the main menu & somehow reload the main files --> automatically load the correct save --> player is at 45000, 80000 --> game now remembers you left mentors ring in the middle of the street in bruma.

This would mean time doesn't pass the same if you're not in the same map, I wouldn't be surprised that it broke all scripts, and a ton of poo poo that was built using the assumption that the map is always the same would break, and if the only bug is animations look wrong would be not worth implementing.

Also there is 2% of the needed content for that amount of area. Idk, weird tangent. It's cool as hell when people pull off poo poo that should seem impossible

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Floating point arithmetic is basically the computer version of scientific notation. You know, like 5700000 is represented as 5.7e6 (5 times 10 to the power of 6), and 0.00000137 is represented as 1.37e-6. Gives great ability to represent either very large numbers or very small numbers with a limited number of characters. Same deal with floating point, you split the number in different parts, representing sign, exponent, and mantissa. The problem comes when you want to have very small number precision with very large numbers, like 5700000.00000137, you don't get any concision advantage out of writing it as 5.70000000000137e6. If you don't have enough characters to represent "570000000000137" regardless of exponent, then you'll chop off the least significant (smaller) ones: precision loss.

An idea is to have both grid coordinates, local coordinates, and relative coordinates.
- an actor is within a cell, the cell's coordinates are its grid coordinates. This can be an integer: you can be in cell [3, -3], but not in cell [3.14, -3.5].
- local coordinates are the actor's coordinates in its own cell. Maximum precision, since these coordinates are relative to the cell's center.
- relative coordinates are the local coordinates shifted to be relative to the player's current cell

Use relative coordinates (centered on current cell) for all actor movement and positioning to avoid shaking caused by lack of precision. You should have enough precision for everything in the current cell and its neighbors (after all, Morrowind has enough precision for everything on Vvardenfell). When the current cell changes because the player moved to a new cell, all active things get their relative coordinates recomputed from their own local coordinates and the new relative offset between their grid position and the current cell's grid position.

This dynamic offsetting should keep maximal precision in the local cell, degraded precision for things that are far away they're not being rendered. The drawback would be a performance hit at each cell change because the game's gotta iterate through all active things to update their relative positions, and that's in addition to already having to load the cells that have entered the "active radius", unload those that exited it.

Another solution is to have multiple separate worldspaces. Then put each province in its own worldspace, and they all be centered on themselves. You lose the seamless transition, though.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
nerds

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

You're god damned right.gif

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Seen any elves? Hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The problem is you can't do that in the morrowind engine, not that it's a technically difficult issue to solve.