Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Guys if you want to talk about the manga in detail you can make a thread about that. Grouchio was fine, he was just answering a question in spoiler tags. Stop turning this thread into an argument about posting etiquette, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

actually no question was asked, which was my problem. he responded to someone noting something with a straight spoiler instead of letting there be any speculation

Electric Phantasm posted:

I don't know if I hate or love headphones guy speaking gimmick.

Also it's weird now that Tamaki appears in the OP like she is in the 8th.

no question marks here

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:rolleyes:

Let's move on and stop talking about this, okay?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I like how one one of 1st’s power is Doot.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

:rolleyes:

Let's move on and stop talking about this, okay?

Sister Iris is a good girl. So is Maki, of course, but dadgum I loved that scene. :kimchi:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I like that Princess has multiple outfits. It's always neat when characters aren't just stuck in one set of clothes all the time.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I really really liked how casually Burns blocked every single one of Shinra's attacks, it was so low effort while every impact he made against him sounded heavy as hell, same for the one "hit" Burns made in retaliation. Really cool to see animated. :allears:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I like that Princess has multiple outfits. It's always neat when characters aren't just stuck in one set of clothes all the time.

Yeah this. Soul Eater, the mangaka's previous work, was decent about this, especially when the characters weren't on a mission and were chilling in their old-time outside of school.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

burns is literally a one piece captain with the casually wearing his jacket + eyepatch + insane power

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Beasteh posted:

burns is literally a one piece captain with the casually wearing his jacket + eyepatch + insane power

First thing I thought too lol

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's good that the stock 'falls in love with the protagonist' thing that gets bolted onto hibana is just that: bolted. she doesn't actually lose any of her character otherwise and is clearly still a bigshot, she just has this bit now

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Patware posted:

it's good that the stock 'falls in love with the protagonist' thing that gets bolted onto hibana is just that: bolted. she doesn't actually lose any of her character otherwise and is clearly still a bigshot, she just has this bit now

The bad part is it's a dumb bit. Shinra can be important to her development, and seen as such by her, without her having a crush on him, but then, shounen series.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

oh yeah it loving sucks, but at least it doesn't destroy her character like it usually does

at least... there's that...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

The bad part is it's a dumb bit. Shinra can be important to her development, and seen as such by her, without her having a crush on him, but then, shounen series.

To be fair, she's not as bad as some other shounen series with similar characters where they just turn into mindlessly-obsessive fangirls. She might speak fondly of Shinra if someone else brings him up (like when talking with Akitaru) or just be nice to Shinra when she's with him, but that's the end of it.

I fully agree it's an unnecessary cliche tacked on though.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 25, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It def feels like a Luffy and Boa Hancock situation but without the 500+ chapters of establishing other cool women in the setting and also the over the top personalities that let you know the relationship is never even possible

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Maki owns.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
If you look at her like a teenager in arrested development it makes more sense that she goes for Shinra's hero act, once he cracks the persona she's developed as a defense. She acts more childishly with Iris in this episode too, so they're now inside of a perimeter she still maintains for most people.

No, it's not great characterization, but I don't think it's completely out of character either.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Bets on how many of Section 1 is evil?

Captain eyepatch, Burns: Very yes. Because he's large and in charge and they made him suspicious from the getgo when he wouldn't talk at the rookie exam.
Lt headphones, Flam: Betting no. Serious personality and goofy speaking gimmick lowers my suspicions.
Lt starry-eyed, Hoshimiya: Betting yes. He's extremely cheerful but that went into way too excited to see high-powered pyrokinetics territory. And he kept doing those big-brotherly catches of Nekomata girl, obvious future protagonist teammate, which brings up my expectation he's going to pull a dramatic betrayal. Plus we saw a bit of friction between him and headphones, who I expect is an nonvillain, so that would keep them on opposite sides.
Lt with hat, Li: Betting yes. He's got the shifty Ichimaru Gin/Brock eyes. We didn't get to see what his ability is this episode. Meta call saved for a dramatic reveal later in a fight, because this is a shonen anime.

edit: Is this a bad train of conversation? It's kinda like asking 'who do you think's the traitor' in My Hero Academia which has been a tiresome topic in the past, but I feel like this is a natural question demanded by the whole direction of the writing.

Also I appreciated the somewhat abrupt lowkey interlude where Tamaki just runs up and kicks Shinra in the butt before dialogue/plot resumes

booksnake fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 26, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Apparently this is going to be the song for the second opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_-EEKSs-J0

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
I'm not a fan of the weird fan-servicey and feitshy bits but the latter is at least explained well so I'm less bothered by it. Overall really digging the world and the story. Really liked hearing more about Iris and Princess's time at the nunnery. Also the action is really fun and I love Shinra's tick/quirk of nervous smiling so it looks like he's evilly plotting when he's likely scared shitless.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The Foley work in this show is so good. I had to go watch it in the other room with better speakers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

Apparently this is going to be the song for the second opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_-EEKSs-J0

I like it, bit too metal for me in the second half though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
You don't often have the hot blooded people turn out to be evil and it not be an act.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Did the budget run out for half of this episode? And why did subs get delayed a few hours? How curious.

Oh, and Shinra's a really smart cookie and that's really refreshing.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 30, 2019

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I expected a lot more intrigue-based scenes like the opening one, but nope, just gonna throw out the reveal already. That's cool.

nice, called it

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

I'm conflicted. I hadn't heard Japanese djent before, but now I really want to hear Japanese vocals and lyricism applied to it.

Grouchio posted:

Did the budget run out for half of this episode? And why did subs get delayed a few hours? How curious.

Oh, and Shinra's a really smart cookie and that's really refreshing.

Yeah, some really obvious static frames and frame-saving cuts. Kinda worth it for the last 45 seconds. Shinra's entrance and the progress of emotion on Tamaki's face were pretty good.

Also:

Background plates still on point.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I wonder if its thematic, Shinra fallaing from the sky looking like a demonic angel crushing the bad guy under his foot. Old fashion biblical iconography has angels trampling down on demons a lot.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

fire force has a lot of god/devil angel/demon kind of stuff running through it, i'd say any time you see it it's probably on purpose

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

They really went all out on Tamaki's face at the end, the manga just had one panel frame with weaping sfx.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

They really went all out on Tamaki's face at the end, the manga just had one panel frame with weaping sfx.
Already giving her way more respect than the manga did (in this scene she was stripped to undies).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grouchio posted:

Already giving her way more respect than the manga did (in this scene she was stripped to undies).

No she was still dressed I am pretty sure.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

can confirm

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Patware posted:

fire force has a lot of god/devil angel/demon kind of stuff running through it, i'd say any time you see it it's probably on purpose

Soul Eater had a bunch of this as well, seems to be the authors jam, and it's cool as heck

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
Yeah, I'm really digging where this is going, and glad they finally got a good lead and/or stopped someone from doing terrible things. The last chunk of this episode was really dark and well done. Also the 'hug' was disturbing and I saw where it was going very quickly. Very reminiscent of a similar scene from Overlord.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bremma posted:

Yeah, I'm really digging where this is going, and glad they finally got a good lead and/or stopped someone from doing terrible things. The last chunk of this episode was really dark and well done. Also the 'hug' was disturbing and I saw where it was going very quickly. Very reminiscent of a similar scene from Overlord.
Same VA voicing the unwilling victim, too! :ohdear:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

my favorite thing is watching them save a shitload of money by barely animating some blobs in front of an incredible background plate, unironically

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

While the animators are obviously doing a lot of work, I will say that the manga itself is really good at making a theoretically very monotonous power-base ("fire") have lots of cool imagery and unique shots like Shinra's descending devil/angel feet wings.

Also that Tamaki crying shot was so expensive they had to use it twice :allears:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Turns out you were both right as this episode is where she does get stripped down, but the anime gives her more tatters to wear compared to the manga which goes straight to the skivvies.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Were the sudden cuts to fanservice in the middle of a fight also less out-of-place, though? (You'd expect that in ecchi action anime not this. Unless this is ecchi action.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I think we know where last week's budget went.