Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Eat This Glob posted:

also, I learned we have a $150 ER co-pay. That was an expensive carrot.

Sorry about your thumb, glad it was only a flesh wound. On my ER trip (unrelated to kitchen things) I had a $150 ER co-pay too. And then two months later billing caught up and I had a $2000 deductible that hadn't been touched because apparently it's a different deductible than office visits or meds or anything else. So that was a nice surprise.

Basically gently caress US healthcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

bartolimu posted:

Basically gently caress US healthcare.

I had a $1000 bill for physical therapy (also unrelated) that didn’t get processed until 14 months after my last treatment. So :same:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Y'all are happy it's only $150? Last time I checked mine is $300. Agreed, gently caress US healthcare.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I don't know how anyone looks at our current dumpster fire of a healthcare system and says, "Oh well, there is no way we could possibly do better." :shrug:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My "insurance" has a $3,000 deductible that must be met before it does poo poo.

So a visit to the ER will cost at minimum $1500 out of pocket, more if they actually do anything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My dental insurance (best I can get through my employer) has a $250 deductible, then a $3500 coverage max. Meaning that my emergency crown and root canal which cost ~$4500 actually cost me $750. However, this was in February of 2019. If I have any other dental procedure done before Dec. 31 it's 100% out of pocket. :cool:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I dont know what the deductible situation is. I know we selected my wife's insurance over mine because it was better, I just dont recall how much better. On the bright side, we went to the er where she is a nurse, so they can just garnish her goddamn wages or whatever if it is too steep and we cant pay. And yeah, gently caress the american system. A surprise $150 bill on a Sunday night could have blown a family's food budget for a couple weeks. Our DINK asses will be fine, but ER expenses can add a whole lot of stress to literal injury.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My employer pays 100% of my insurance costs andonly have a $15 co-pay for any medical procedure.
Dental it varies but I had a bunch of work done this year multiple root canals, extractions, etc... to a total of $6000-$7000 I still only paid about $300 out of pocket.

Join a union ya'll

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I don't know how you all haven't guillotined your ruling classes yet

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I have one of the cheaper plans in my area that is also subsidized by the state and so I have the privilege of merely paying >$300/mo for no dental, no vision, a minimum $60 copay for virtually anything at all and like a $7500 deductible.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

tarbrush posted:

Too weak due to lingering health issues.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
https://www.wasserstrom.com/restaur...:&catalogMode:&

Seriously yall, just pick up one of these for playing with your mandolin or robocoup, it's a lot cheaper than an urgent care/ER visit when you slip because somebody startles you.

Also stitches in your finger loving suck.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Who's got recommendations for Cleveland? Going for the long weekend. we're not into hipster small plate places. we like dive bars with great burgers, diners, regional dishes we can't get elsewhere, really great "ethnic" restaurants, maybe an old school steakhouse, that kind of stuff.

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 26, 2019

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

tarbrush posted:

We have an extremely mentally unstable, heavily armed police force who will shoot to kill.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Who's got recommendations for Cleveland? Going for the long weekend. we're not into hipster small plate places. we like dive bars with great burgers, diners, regional dishes we can't get elsewhere, really great "ethnic" restaurants, maybe an old school steakhouse, that kind of stuff.

Slyman's - They have corned beef sandwiches the size of your head. I'm not exaggerating this, google a picture.
Great Lakes Brewing Company - If you're interested in beer, take a tour of their brewery. They have a nice restaurant here too. It's pub food.
A Michael Symon restaurant - There's a few Michael Symon restaurants in Cleveland. I'll recommend B Spot since you mentioned burgers. Lola is probably the most famous one though.
Melt - This used to be a hipster place. It's now more of a local chain. Giant, grilled cheese sandwiches but you'll want to eat lightly afterwards.
Mitchell's - If you're feeling ice cream, check out a Mitchell's. It's a local ice cream shop.
Sokolowski's - Cafeteria style, European/Polish restaurant. Get the pierogi's.
Bearden's - Local family friendly burger joint.
West Side Market - It's an open air market. Great place to get fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat. There's a few stands that sell food too. There's a gyro place that is pretty good. Again, they can be the size of your head.
Malley's - Local chocolate company. They have a few locations that serve ice cream in the suburbs. I highly recommend.
Rowley Inn - Haven't been here myself but I've heard good things. It's pub food.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

mariooncrack posted:

Slyman's - They have corned beef sandwiches the size of your head. I'm not exaggerating this, google a picture.
Great Lakes Brewing Company - If you're interested in beer, take a tour of their brewery. They have a nice restaurant here too. It's pub food.
A Michael Symon restaurant - There's a few Michael Symon restaurants in Cleveland. I'll recommend B Spot since you mentioned burgers. Lola is probably the most famous one though.
Melt - This used to be a hipster place. It's now more of a local chain. Giant, grilled cheese sandwiches but you'll want to eat lightly afterwards.
Mitchell's - If you're feeling ice cream, check out a Mitchell's. It's a local ice cream shop.
Sokolowski's - Cafeteria style, European/Polish restaurant. Get the pierogi's.
Bearden's - Local family friendly burger joint.
West Side Market - It's an open air market. Great place to get fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat. There's a few stands that sell food too. There's a gyro place that is pretty good. Again, they can be the size of your head.
Malley's - Local chocolate company. They have a few locations that serve ice cream in the suburbs. I highly recommend.
Rowley Inn - Haven't been here myself but I've heard good things. It's pub food.

thank you! this is fantastic and I'm adding it all to my possibilities list <3

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Edit: nvm

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 27, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Eat This Glob posted:

Thank you for the well wishes, I'll be fine. Got the thumb on an angle. I was using the mandolin vertically to cut carrots into same thickness medallions for a large pot of soup and didnt want to do the knife work. First time I've ever used a mandolin without the hand guard and it'll likely be the last. I honestly had no idea cut resistant cloves were a thing. I'll have to look into that.

It was very bloody and we couldn't tell if it lopped off bone or not. Luckily it was just clean and dress it. I got to meet my wife's co-workers at least lol. She just dropped me off and went back to the hospital to work her shift at the ER lol.

also, I learned we have a $150 ER co-pay. That was an expensive carrot.

https://www.amazon.com/KITCHEN-GLOVES-CUT-RESISTANT-Performance/dp/B00SF6S03A

They're about $10, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than the co-pay. Hope your fingat is okay!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So related to the Cleveland talk, does anyone have recommendations for Louisville Kentucky? My parents are going (they like space and bourbon). Part of a wider American trip, also going to New York, New Orleans and a few other places but food and restaurants there are kinda less of an issue to find.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 27, 2019

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Las dos Fronteras is a good Mexican place in a still badish part of town, clark-fulton
Brewnuts for doughnuts, they tend to sell out of their runs.
Mason's as well for ice cream, and sweet Moses.
I'm partial to pho thang cafe for Vietnamese but it's not something that'll knock your socks off.
Taphouse has good pub food and good beer selection.
We finally have a shake shack :V
The Cleveland regional hot dog is called a po boy but imho you can skip it. Happy dog for hot dogs

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 27, 2019

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Las dos Fronteras is a good Mexican place in a still badish part of town, clark-fulton
I'm partial to pho thang cafe for Vietnamese but it's not something that'll knock your socks off.
The Cleveland regional hot dog is called a po boy but imho you can skip it

Detroit has a Wahlburgers, I was surprised by that.

EDIT: I'm a moron, Whalburgers is in 20 states now.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 27, 2019

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

A Sometimes Food posted:

So related to the Cleveland talk, does anyone have recommendations for Louisville Kentucky? My parents are going (they like space and bourbon). Part of a wider American trip, also going to New York, New Orleans and a few other places but food and restaurants there are kinda less of an issue to find.

I was there a few months ago for a week of whiskey drinking and ate at a bunch of places.

The Silver Dollar- has to be opened by a Texan. Pretty decent Texas/southern food. Better for dinner then breakfast.

Proof on main- American food, pricey, nothing really amazing but solid food. Cocktails were pretty good.

Doc Crows- probably the best food we had in Louisville. Really well done southern food. Large whiskey selection. Fantastic cocktails.

Milkwood- experimental southern/asian fusion. Very well constructed dishes. Fun flavors but we weren’t blown away by it. The cocktails are good but the “Milkwood cocktail” is truly bizarre and everyone needs to try it. It tastes like that salted yogurt drink you get at middle eastern places but alcoholic and a bit more complex.

Jacks Fry’s- old school white table cloth place but the food was executed brilliantly. Classic American dishes, very nice wine and whiskey selection.

Those are the places I went to worth mentioning. I would push people towards Doc Crow and Jack Frys but Milkwood is solid as well.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm not sure if these are the kind of places your parents would dig, but we really like a place called Falafel House. It's only got a few tables because it's mostly takeout, but the owner/employees are great, the falafel and hummus is fantastic, and you get free little cups of lentil soup and sage tea when you eat there. The Frankfort Avenue Beer Depot has good barbecue and it's a fun, casual spot with a bar that pours strong drinks. They have the usual pulled pork, brisket, etc, but the smoked salmon is unusual and excellent.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The Cleveland regional hot dog is called a po boy but imho you can skip it. Happy dog for hot dogs

Thank you! these are great. and thanks for the note on badish parts of town, because we don't know anything about the neighborhoods. We're staying in Independence, which looks ok on google maps, but seems kind of industrial/commercial. It was cheap.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I was there a few months ago for a week of whiskey drinking and ate at a bunch of places.

The Silver Dollar- has to be opened by a Texan. Pretty decent Texas/southern food. Better for dinner then breakfast.

Proof on main- American food, pricey, nothing really amazing but solid food. Cocktails were pretty good.

Doc Crows- probably the best food we had in Louisville. Really well done southern food. Large whiskey selection. Fantastic cocktails.

Milkwood- experimental southern/asian fusion. Very well constructed dishes. Fun flavors but we weren’t blown away by it. The cocktails are good but the “Milkwood cocktail” is truly bizarre and everyone needs to try it. It tastes like that salted yogurt drink you get at middle eastern places but alcoholic and a bit more complex.

Jacks Fry’s- old school white table cloth place but the food was executed brilliantly. Classic American dishes, very nice wine and whiskey selection.

Those are the places I went to worth mentioning. I would push people towards Doc Crow and Jack Frys but Milkwood is solid as well.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I'm not sure if these are the kind of places your parents would dig, but we really like a place called Falafel House. It's only got a few tables because it's mostly takeout, but the owner/employees are great, the falafel and hummus is fantastic, and you get free little cups of lentil soup and sage tea when you eat there. The Frankfort Avenue Beer Depot has good barbecue and it's a fun, casual spot with a bar that pours strong drinks. They have the usual pulled pork, brisket, etc, but the smoked salmon is unusual and excellent.

Thanks for these, Doc Crows and Frankfort Avenue seem like what they'd look for.

They probably would dig Falafel House but like we have a ton of great Turkish and Middle Eastern places here that they go to fairly often so they probably wouldn't go on a holiday.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i have avenged fingat by finally cutting the carrots, celery, and chicken. ugliest knifework of my life but I'm going to eat that drat soup tonight.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Justice for fingat!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

i have avenged fingat by finally cutting the carrots, celery, and chicken. ugliest knifework of my life but I'm going to eat that drat soup tonight.

I used mine the night of you injury in your honor. I used it to thinly slice some frozen ginger for a golden curry i was making.

Speaking of which, favorite add ins for japanese curry? Apparently I'm a newb if I don't add grated apple and honey, but what else?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I used mine the night of you injury in your honor. I used it to thinly slice some frozen ginger for a golden curry i was making.

Speaking of which, favorite add ins for japanese curry? Apparently I'm a newb if I don't add grated apple and honey, but what else?

Japanese people, for an authentic Japanese curry. Careful you don’t cut yourself when slicing them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

therattle posted:

Japanese people, for an authentic Japanese curry. Careful you don’t cut yourself when slicing them.

They wiggle a lot for the first bit of slicing then calm down.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I once sacrificed a large cutting board’s worth of diced onion to my knife because one of the diced onion bits was a chunk of my fingat

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Thankfully I generally catch the knife on my fingernail so I end up with just a only slightly bloody chunk of keratin to fish out of whatever I'm cooking.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
If you eat the fingat does it help it grow back faster?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So update, they wanted me to thank you all for the suggestions and asked if anyone has recommendations for particularly good local food in New Orleans cause they're there for a while.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A Sometimes Food posted:

So update, they wanted me to thank you all for the suggestions and asked if anyone has recommendations for particularly good local food in New Orleans cause they're there for a while.

The Cajun thread OP has a "where should I eat in New Orleans" link in it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811

It's getting a bit dated so I'd suggest asking in that thread and see if people have more updates. It comes up a few times a year in the thread so there should be discussion in there for sure that is easy to find if you don't want to ask itt.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

An old roommates wife (well girlfriend when we lived together) was Japanese, she always added a Hershey's chocolate bar (one bar for each whole pack of bricks), along with a bunch of shredded cheddar cheese near the end of cooking time. That's been my go to.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

biggfoo posted:

If you eat the fingat does it help it grow back faster?

i couldn't find it when I got home. It may have hit the floor and a dog might have gotten it?

I told my wife I may have to cook and eat it on the ride home but she turned green and looked like she was gonna puke and demanded I do no such thing.

it was about an eighth of an inch of skin and pad/nail bed, not exactly a meal :haw:

I had the soup for supper last night - sans finger meat - and it was pretty good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I've read this horror story before, it doesn't end well for the eater

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

All fine choices but omitting 3rd st dive, Rye, and Meta is negligent at best.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It's that time again.

ICSA: The Sex Number has begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I asked my wife if there's anything she'd like for dinner and she said she'd like an onion burger that has very thinly sliced onions smashed into them. They're little 2 oz patties that were made popular in Oklahoma during the depression. They're delicious and I learned of them through this episode of "the burger show"

https://youtu.be/cdvZC91YpMs

anyway, that requires very good knifework, and I really cant do that because of the fingat. I will have to break out the bloodthirsty mandolin. gently caress, I think my wife may want me dead. At least I can use the hand guard for this vegetable.