Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

According to my coworker here, trump is actually not all bad because he has personally decided to preemptively send 500 fema people to PR in advance of Dorian. I haven't bothered to check whether the basic FEMA thing is even true.

He also had his power restored more quickly after Maria because he happens to live right by the church where teump infamously threw the paper towels, and I guess they prepped that area in advance of the visit

So in conclusion, Puerto Rico is a land of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

soy posted:

pretty amazing “inland hurricane” as described by the local news channel tonight in oklahoma city. widespread 70-80mph sustained wind over most of the city for 20+ minutes. basically a 10 mile wide ef0/1 tornado.

fuckin apocalypse owns hail satan

It's a cacodeamon.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hello god, please flood austin

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

latest NHC advisory lookin spicy

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/1166469427073814529

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The latest advisory has Dorian strengthening into a hurricane before it hits Florida. The discussion for the 8am advisory is just a big lol it'll hit Florida but we don't know where.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

At first it was going to pass just south of PR, and now it's coming in for a direct hit. Hopefully it keeps shifting East and passes us north of the island. School and work is off for the day so we're just chilling in the AC and waiting for the power to inevitably go out later today.

Thinking of driving up to see the beach in Old San Juan while things are still fairly calm before we're stuck inside.

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.
Good luck fam!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PR is gonna get some tropical storm force winds for sure, but while annoying, those max out at 73mph... Enough to take down power lines and trees and stuff, but not apocalyptic. Oklahoma city had similar windspeeds (albeit for a shorter duration) the other day and they seem fine. Then again their cities have enforced building codes and stuff.

On the other hand, this thing looks like it'll intensify later once it gets over open ocean.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

soy posted:

PR is gonna get some tropical storm force winds for sure, but while annoying, those max out at 73mph... Enough to take down power lines and trees and stuff, but not apocalyptic. Oklahoma city had similar windspeeds (albeit for a shorter duration) the other day and they seem fine. Then again their cities have enforced building codes and stuff.

lol "i have no idea how wind damage works but that's not gonna stop me from handwaving it away and also criticizing that brown people Island"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also reposting this because big lols about oklahoma's so-called building codes which i'm sure are completely up to date and have been strengthened to handle this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc2warZXnFM

btw the usgs mysteriously took this down from their twitter account in early 2017 and have not updated it to include data more recent that 2016

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol "i have no idea how wind damage works but that's not gonna stop me from handwaving it away and also criticizing that brown people Island"

you can interpret it however you want but the fact is they barely had building codes before 2019 which is a big reason why the rich bitcoin millionaire condo areas were barely damaged in Maria and the poor areas got leveled.

https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2019/01/02/new-building-codes-support-puerto-rico-building-back-stronger

https://www.wsj.com/articles/weak-building-code-enforcement-exacerbates-destruction-in-puerto-rico-1512475200

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

drat poors if only you had money and laws

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the "sustained" part of "sustained hurricane-strength winds" is an important qualifier when you read it

just fyi

oklahoma had a severe storm roll through their metro areas for part of yesterday that approached catergory 1 winds for a few hours and that was enough time to take down power and tear the roofs off of tons of structures (and annihilate trailer parks but that never gets reported on much)

i can't see if there were any fatalities but even that bit of wind was enough to do plenty of damage - a hurricane of the same strength brings a lot more energy to the table as well as other things like its storm surge and a shitload more rain

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

According to my coworker here, trump is actually not all bad because he has personally decided to preemptively send 500 fema people to PR in advance of Dorian. I haven't bothered to check whether the basic FEMA thing is even true.

He also had his power restored more quickly after Maria because he happens to live right by the church where teump infamously threw the paper towels, and I guess they prepped that area in advance of the visit

So in conclusion, Puerto Rico is a land of contrasts

lol there were fema guys near our unit for Maria before the hurricane came in and didnt even know they were there till like a week after it hit. They were sitting on their asses basically doing jack poo poo. It wasn't till our operations major took the initiative to create a joint logistics operation center that things started to actually come in through the airport and transported to people in the area.

No joke we asked them what they've been doing and they said they were in the hotel waiting for instructions.

e- also even the poor peoples houses in PR tend to have cement structures, the problem is that they combine it with corrugated iron ceilings to save money. The increased surface area of the sheets and how they bind them together makes it something extremely easy to rip off with high intensity storms.

BUT, if you would take the same storm and dump at full strength into florida or any other gulf state you would see a whole lot of completely leveled homes instead of just ones without roofs. The vast majority of houses in the states are not built to withstand that sort of extreme weather and thank god its going to become a more common occurrence. Youve had it too good for too long

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Aug 28, 2019

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

soy posted:

On the other hand, this thing looks like it'll intensify later once it gets over open ocean.

maybe it'll destroy the space coast, that would be cool

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If the storm misses PR entirely and that upper level low scoots out of the way fast enough then Dorian could get really strong pretty fast since it's going to be hanging out in really favorable conditions in the Bahamas. It also could still go out to sea since it looks like recent runs are less bullshit on the ridge building into the mid Atlantic.

e: The NHC forecast from an hour ago bumped it up to a Cat 3 around landfall time so yeah

GOOD TIMES ON METH has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Aug 28, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Bop Miami on the nose.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the bitcoin of weed posted:

maybe it'll destroy the space coast, that would be cool

Maybe/probably, but my favorite is the TABS model that has it pwning florida, then floating back around and pwning it again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

soy posted:

Maybe/probably, but my favorite is the TABS model that has it pwning florida, then floating back around and pwning it again.

Wow, that storm's really got it out for Tampa.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

soy posted:

Been a while since the Georgia coast has had a direct hit from something big, Sea island could use a good scouring

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
hurricane season and jeff piotrowski is my favorite part about climate change :munch:

although lol if we start getting hurricanes here in california then i'll just double lmao and die lmaoing all the way to the great nirvana

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

hurricane season and jeff piotrowski is my favorite part about climate change :munch:

although lol if we start getting hurricanes here in california colorado then i'll just double lmao and die lmaoing all the way to the great nirvana

:same:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:munch:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

soy posted:

i don't even see the model names anymore

it's just trmo, tormp, turmp, ptmpo...

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

Been a while since the Georgia coast has had a direct hit from something big, Sea island could use a good scouring

Does Tybee still have that nuclear bomb buried offshore

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Does Tybee still have that nuclear bomb buried offshore

it's somewhere offshore afaik

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

meanwhile https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1166723478776684544?s=20

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

BUT, if you would take the same storm and dump at full strength into florida or any other gulf state you would see a whole lot of completely leveled homes instead of just ones without roofs. The vast majority of houses in the states are not built to withstand that sort of extreme weather and thank god its going to become a more common occurrence. Youve had it too good for too long

Miami, Florida houses built before the 1970's are for sure built for that kind of weather. Unfortunately builders conveniently forgot (became cheapskates) in the 70's-90's until Hurricane Andrew hit in 92'. My parents house was built in 1942 and is concrete block with a crawl space beneath elevating it two feet above the ground and has a wooden roof with multiple points of reinforcement.

By comparison my old townhouse built in 1981 was wood-on-wood-on concrete pad. The roof had no type of reinforcement until I added it myself. The building codes improved after Andrew, but there is still so much real estate out there that was constructed under lax codes during our lull in severe storms.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

No work today in PR, yet I'm toughing it out somehow..........

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thoughts and prayers....

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also governor gollum loosened those codes back up again a few years ago

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

pancake rabbit posted:

latest NHC advisory lookin spicy

I'm the Untied States

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

fuckingtest posted:

Miami, Florida houses built before the 1970's are for sure built for that kind of weather. Unfortunately builders conveniently forgot (became cheapskates) in the 70's-90's until Hurricane Andrew hit in 92'. My parents house was built in 1942 and is concrete block with a crawl space beneath elevating it two feet above the ground and has a wooden roof with multiple points of reinforcement.
Some of this is because old houses that were built terribly have all been destroyed, so any remaining ones have at least survived a few hurricanes.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Xaris posted:

although lol if we start getting hurricanes here in california then i'll just double lmao and die lmaoing all the way to the great nirvana

coincidentally enough there was an article in the la times recently about LA's history with tropical storms and discussing what would have to happen for it to happen again with my favorite California climate scientist Daniel Swain

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-08-21/hurricanes-here-the-cordonazo-that-lashed-los-angeles

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Aug 28, 2019

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/NWSSanJuan/status/1166773295632539649?s=20

It's powering up now. Hopefully keeps skirting the island

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

NWS just reported 80+ mph winds on St Thomas

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

euro model has this fucker heading right to mar-a-lago, lmaoooo

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Euro track would also allow it to go back out into the Gulf and presumably power back up to wipe another panhandle city off the map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

It's beginning to look like I just got the day off from work to drink rum and lay around poo poo posting