Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ebola Roulette posted:

Yup. Poor old people live off pudding, mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs because they can't afford dentures and have their tv turned up at full volume. It's hosed that Medicare doesn't cover dentures or hearing aids.

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to cover glasses and hearing aids so old people can avoid getting into accidents or falling? Wouldn't allowing old people to be able to loving chew food so they can have a good diet be more cost effective than covering all the loving health conditions caused by a poor diet? Ugh.

The cruelty is the point. Combine that with the short-sightedness of the average business parasite and you end up with an industry whose entire purpose is to keep your body functioning deciding that, no, only some parts of the body should be maintained. You can live without teeth and sight and sound, right?

We should be glad they let us keep our limbs. Mostly. For now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Here's a good democrat 2020 candidate test: does your M4A cover dental and vision care? If no, suck my dick. If yes, please define what would and would not be covered.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Screaming Idiot posted:

The cruelty is the point. Combine that with the short-sightedness of the average business parasite and you end up with an industry whose entire purpose is to keep your body functioning deciding that, no, only some parts of the body should be maintained. You can live without teeth and sight and sound, right?

We should be glad they let us keep our limbs. Mostly. For now.

This. Never underestimate a CEOs willingness to give up long term gains for short term profits, especially when their quarterly bonuses are on the line.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Eat This Glob posted:

I asked my employer nicely for a raise because I dont accept any bennies from them. it's been 3 months since I've asked and 4 months when my review was due lol

We actually pay employees to opt out, so I get $10,000 a year for declining my mediocre health insurance and using my wife’s slightly crappier health insurance.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Nastier Nate posted:

We actually pay employees to opt out, so I get $10,000 a year for declining my mediocre health insurance and using my wife’s slightly crappier health insurance.

drat, that sounds american as hell. my company wont even let my wife sign up for insurance if she is offered ANY TYPE of health insurance through her employer or whatever. when my company got bought out this spring, people who had family coverage had to pay something like $500/month more, assuming they were able to keep their spouse+kids on their plan.

I actually asked for $10k more. We'll see about that lol

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1166080803568279553

$572 million sounds like a lot! Surely that'll make a dent!

quote:

Janssen, one of the largest manufacturers of brand-name drugs in the country [and a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson], reported 2018 sales of $23.3 billion in the United States.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doggles posted:

$572 million sounds like a lot! Surely that'll make a dent!

Yes but this case was Oklahoma specific, while that sales figure is national. Let's do some lovely napkin math.

Oklahoma only contains about 1.2% of the US population. 1.2% of those $23.3 billion in sales is about $0.28 billion, or 280 million dollars. If we assume sales are spread equally per capita across the country (almost certainly not, but good enough for this), then the fine equals just over twice the value of a year's sales in Oklahoma.

Now yes, the fine is singular while sales occur every year. But also, only a portion of sales are actual profit. I think no matter how you slice it, this is a hefty gosh dang fine considering it only applies to Oklahoma, where it must completely counter several years of profit. If a similar judgement was made in every state, scaled per capita, they would all total at 47,666 million, or about $47.7 billion dollars.

Courts, you know what to do.

Meme Poker Party has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Aug 26, 2019

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
No chance in hell Johnson & Johnson pays more than a fraction of that amount, if it doesn't just get reversed on appeal.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Aug 26, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

No chance in hell Johnson & Johnson pays more than a fraction of that amount, if it doesn't get dropped completely on appeal.

"We're saddened by this verdict," a spokesperson for J&J reported when reach for comment, "we think it's unfair and it will hurt the good working people of Oklahoma."

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

"We're saddened by this verdict," a spokesperson for J&J reported when reach for comment, "we think it's unfair and it will hurt the good working people of Oklahoma."

:killing:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mechafunkzilla posted:

No chance in hell Johnson & Johnson pays more than a fraction of that amount, if it doesn't just get reversed on appeal.

Yeah, I'd say the judgement is sound, but we know who the system really works for.

The lesson here is that courts are worthless, either start murdering executives or give up on fixing it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I mean, there's a big glut of people who went into law after seeing Law & Order and Phoenix Wright who are now getting hosed by capitalism looking for years-long unpaid internships. If we can radicalize them even to soc-dem levels and get local support behind e'm we can steal the justice system back in a few years. Then we can either do more stuff unhindered (as much) by the state and/or start composting the rich depending on how hosed we all are at that point.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes but this case was Oklahoma specific, while that sales figure is national. Let's do some lovely napkin math.

Oklahoma only contains about 1.2% of the US population. 1.2% of those $23.3 billion in sales is about $0.28 billion, or 280 million dollars. If we assume sales are spread equally per capita across the country (almost certainly not, but good enough for this), then the fine equals just over twice the value of a year's sales in Oklahoma.

Now yes, the fine is singular while sales occur every year. But also, only a portion of sales are actual profit. I think no matter how you slice it, this is a hefty gosh dang fine considering it only applies to Oklahoma, where it must completely counter several years of profit. If a similar judgement was made in every state, scaled per capita, they would all total at 47,666 million, or about $47.7 billion dollars.

Courts, you know what to do.
the damages included a 20 year programme but were only costed for year 1, always detail the damages

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

loling at 1.02 billion reduced to a 250k settlement

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Let's not forget that a lot of these settlements are like the Equifax settlement, where they're not being paid in cash, but services. Equifax is giving out "free credit monitoring," that they get to set the price for when determining the value (even though the marginal cost to them is almost certainly pennies). It's some loving bullshit.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/HalfAtlanta/status/1166374160290983937

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Has something specific changed recently at Popeye's to make their jobs worse?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

they released a chicken sandwich and there's a lot of hype about it being really good

as far as policy, I don't think so

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

popeyes introduced a new sandwich

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The chicken wars started

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Fast food places have new promo items all the time though. What makes this one so different?

I understand that working there probably sucks in general. But the context seems to be that this sandwich in particular has made everything worse and I don't get why that it is. Is it just because they are really busy?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chomp8645 posted:

Fast food places have new promo items all the time though. What makes this one so different?

I understand that working there probably sucks in general. But the context seems to be that this sandwich in particular has made everything worse and I don't get why that it is. Is it just because they are really busy?

It's the sandwich that is destined to finally bring about the end of the old world

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
mY sZeCHuaN sAuCE!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I only ate at Popeyes one time, and it was pretty bad.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Chomp8645 posted:

probably hired a new marketing team that is trying and failing at getting a viral sensation going

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

I only ate at Popeyes one time, and it was pretty bad.

They're generally the best of the major fried chicken chains, but that may be a low bar depending on your views

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I thought it was because of dumbass popeyes/chic-fil-a memes

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

duz posted:

probably hired a new marketing team that is trying and failing at getting a viral sensation going

it succeeded. thats why it sucks.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

They're generally the best of the major fried chicken chains, but that may be a low bar depending on your views

Yeah they're real good by bad things standards :shrug:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Fast food is some of the most demeaning soul-crushing poo poo, then all the abuse and stress is magnified x100 because there's lines around the block for impatient people who want some publicity stunt sandwich, gently caress all of that. Poor guy, I want to give that dude a hug.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

I thought it was because of dumbass popeyes/chic-fil-a memes

people live out those memes every day in the south

how is that breaking character, popeyes is the one fast food chain where i'd expect the staff to tell a problematic customer to gently caress off

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Aug 27, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the honest truth is that Hardee’s has the best chicken sandwich in the chicken biscuit sandwich.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ive had to tell both of my bosses to gently caress off with me being "nice" to people at my job

im a god drat bouncer at a bar next to 8 other bars/restaurants

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my absolute favorite part of being a manager at my dominos is telling people we blacklisted their rear end for calling a driver a spic, not paying, etc and having them beg me to let them get a delivery. maybe it sounds weird but I finally have the power to say no at a job and it feels good

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Siljmonster posted:

ive had to tell both of my bosses to gently caress off with me being "nice" to people at my job

im a god drat bouncer at a bar next to 8 other bars/restaurants

How much do people slip you to get in usually?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

my absolute favorite part of being a manager at my dominos is telling people we blacklisted their rear end for calling a driver a spic, not paying, etc and having them beg me to let them get a delivery. maybe it sounds weird but I finally have the power to say no at a job and it feels good

Do they ever just go above you though? I've known shift leads and store level managers that still walk on eggshells around lovely customers because some petty dickhead who can't take a loss will go right to district/regional/corporate and give them an earful, which naturally makes poo poo roll downhill.

Either way good for you for sticking up for your employees, I never got the chance to tell a rude customer to eat poo poo.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spankmeister posted:

what the gently caress

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

spankmeister posted:

he doesnt work at club 54

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

T-man posted:

Back when I did care coordination for trans patients my job was 99% telling insurance that they're breaking the law on coverage and the rest was begging surgeons to take medicaid. Single payer would be so god drat easier and faster and cheaper and we're never going to have it.

Wait, you did care coordination for trans people and you still couldn't get your grs covered??? WTF is this horseshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I work for an insurance company -- or rather, the contractor to a contractor to a contractor of an insurance company -- and they literally sent a company-wide email threatening to fire anybody who suggests to our customers to contact their doctors to send in a referral for treatment they already had. Bear in mind, our systems are borked so at least twenty-five percent of the referrals that get sent to us disappear or get held up as "needing more information" for Very Important Reasons.

Insurance is nothing more than an impediment to healthcare. My job is to tell people no. I had to tell a hospice nurse and the woman she's caring for whose body is so riddled with cancer that her breast is ruptured and leaking pus that, no, we can't cover her because she's 65, and if she doesn't have Medicare A and B then we can't cover the procedure she has scheduled for tomorrow. I had to tell her no. She told me that I was taking away what little time she had left.

I nearly walked out after that call.

My uncle died yesterday, too. I can't go to his funeral without incurring an attendance violation. My supervisor's a nice lady, but she's just a straw boss with virtually no more power than me.