Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The point of the original Blade Runner is "it doesnt matter if Deckard is a replicant or not as there is fundamentally no difference". That's why its ambiguous. Ridley Scott coming out and saying "YES" years and years later just kind of goes down to the dementia.

Croatoan posted:

This is the correct answer. That was the entire point of the movie. God it was a good movie too. Too bad it expectedly failed. I would have enjoyed a follow up.

It was probably the best movie I have seen in a number of years (I dont watch enough honestly but still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The thing I loved most about BR2049 was the sound design. I don't have the words to describe how good it was.

Dunkirk was also good in this regard, but the difference was like holding a candle up to the noonday sun. They got robbed for the Oscar there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd say the point of Blade Runner is more it doesn't matter if anybody is a replicant. Deckard himself isn't even that central to this idea. I was so afraid 2049 would gently caress it all up by coming down on one side of it decisively for big short term internet reaction payoff, but they really handled it extremely well.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Please join us in the Jurassic Park thread for interesting content like point-by-point comparisons of book Hammond and movie Hammond, which characters are based on which real-life paleontologists, and pages and pages of thirsting for Jeff Goldblum

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895938

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd say the point of Blade Runner is more it doesn't matter if anybody is a replicant. Deckard himself isn't even that central to this idea. I was so afraid 2049 would gently caress it all up by coming down on one side of it decisively for big short term internet reaction payoff, but they really handled it extremely well.

I remember thinking that some stuff Wallace says implies that Deckard was an experimental replicant (some line about how he and Rachel were "made for each other" or something), but then, I did already think that he was one. I was glad that 2049 didn't try to make any grand statements to confirm/deny the theory--since thematically, the answer shouldn't matter--and continued to be ambiguous about it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Personally I believe the first Blade Runner was originally supposed to make it ambiguous as well (for Deckard I mean), just studio forced cuts and Ridley Scott making contradictory statements years later muddied the idea.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Regardless of what Scott says, there's no version of Blade Runner where the film just comes right out and clearly states HE'S A REPLICANT FOLKS, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?!?!

Deckard himself doesn't know, or at least can't be certain, and as others have said that's the point, he doesn't have to know. Because it doesn't matter. The movie doesn't act like it matters, or if it does it's saying that to be human would be the less preferable option because we've lost whatever that thing is that gives us our humanity and now the Replicants are the ones who have it. "More human than human"

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Basebf555 posted:

Regardless of what Scott says, there's no version of Blade Runner where the film just comes right out and clearly states HE'S A REPLICANT FOLKS, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?!?!

Deckard himself doesn't know, or at least can't be certain, and as others have said that's the point, he doesn't have to know. Because it doesn't matter. The movie doesn't act like it matters, or if it does it's saying that to be human would be the less preferable option because we've lost whatever that thing is that gives us our humanity and now the Replicants are the ones who have it. "More human than human"

I really can't remember the differences between the theatrical cut/directors cut/official directs cut, but; Is the unicorn dream only in one of those versions? Even as a kid it seems pretty coincidental for Deckard to be dreaming of something that Gaff was aware of if he's just a human...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DandyLion posted:

I really can't remember the differences between the theatrical cut/directors cut/official directs cut, but; Is the unicorn dream only in one of those versions? Even as a kid it seems pretty coincidental for Deckard to be dreaming of something that Gaff was aware of if he's just a human...

Oh absolutely, the unicorn scene heavily implies that he's a Replicant, if you think about it. But that's a long way from the kind of BIG REVEAL you'd expect from a modern sci-fi movie about a guy discovering that he's actually a robot. It's subtle, which absolutely works for the themes of the movie and isn't effected by some comments Scott made years later.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

There should have been a scene where Deckard dreams about a guy with his dick out.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

There should have been a scene where Deckard dreams about a guy with his dick out.

Blade Cummer: The Final Uncut.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MichiganCubbie posted:

Blade Cummer: The Final Uncut.

Blade Runner 2.049"

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

DandyLion posted:

It’s in the Director’s Cut and the Final Cut, but not the original theatrical release.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I think the forums might be having a stroke.

hahaha what the hell

Escobarbarian has a new favorite as of 07:41 on Aug 28, 2019

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I want to toss out there that 5E may not be the best game to play for anything competitive, it's absolutely fantastic for cooperative storytelling. I DM one group and play in another, and everything is motivated by the players being their characters and telling their stories, and the DM facilitating that, and it works out super well.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Escobarbarian posted:

Small Days Gone update: I made it to Lost Lake and am having a cool time!

Silly Newbie posted:

I want to toss out there that 5E may not be the best game to play for anything competitive, it's absolutely fantastic for cooperative storytelling. I DM one group and play in another, and everything is motivated by the players being their characters and telling their stories, and the DM facilitating that, and it works out super well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

You see it too?

The Awful App looks so weird right now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Captain Monkey posted:

My favorite story about this is a bunch of scientists put up bird nets to catch and count small birds, like you do, but they'd come back and the nets would be empty. So they set up cameras, and sure enough they were catching little birds, but then deer would walk by and just start chomping down on the helpless birds when they figured out that they couldn't get away.

Deer loving suck

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Memento posted:

The thing I loved most about BR2049 was the sound design. I don't have the words to describe how good it was.

Dunkirk was also good in this regard, but the difference was like holding a candle up to the noonday sun. They got robbed for the Oscar there.

I saw both at the Cinesphere months ago. You're not kidding, especially with BR2049. You could hear every single bone crunch in the opening fight.

They're also playing Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol this weekend, and I'm tempted to take the hour-long train ride to see it again.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I watched Zodiac for the second time last night and one thing I didn’t catch the first time is that three different actors were cast as the Zodiac that we see on screen (none of them play suspects). This adds to the mystery of both the killer’s identity and the question of how many murders were actually his doing.

Edit: just learned that one of the Zodiacs is part of the selection of faces that Mike Mageau picks from. Specifically the one he identifies as similar to Arthur Leigh Allen's.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Aug 29, 2019

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

/\/\/\ Neat!

In the original Incredibles, the bad guy's island lair is only referred to by name ('Nomanis') one time by a fast-talking robot autopilot voice that kinda mumbles right past it. I didn't notice it until watching with subtitles. Reinforces the whole theme of the movie and I thought it was cute. I'm sure it's common knowledge but whatever

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
In Preacher season 4 episode 3 there is a fight in a sex club. Right before the guy in the gimp suit pulls a gun the music switches to Dick Dale, ala Tarantino.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

In Preacher season 4 episode 3 there is a fight in a sex club. Right before the guy in the gimp suit pulls a gun the music switches to Dick Dale, ala Tarantino.

Preacher is in its fourth season? I've never heard or seen a person in real life reference it at all, wow.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Preacher isn't a direct 1:1 adaptation, but it is very faithful in tone.

Would any of the people you regularly interact with talk about a Garth Ennis comic in public?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's a TV show. People talk about TV. Quit being weird.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Olaf The Stout posted:

Preacher is in its fourth season? I've never heard or seen a person in real life reference it at all, wow.

I like the cast. Not really sure where they're going with it anymore. Maybe it is jumping the same set of sharks that people say Supernatural* has been for years?

*never seen

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I like the cast. Not really sure where they're going with it anymore. Maybe it is jumping the same set of sharks that people say Supernatural* has been for years?

*never seen

Preacher season 4 is labeled as the final season. Whereas Wikipedia says "[Supernatural] has been renewed for a fifteenth and final season to consist of 20 episodes,[7] which is set to premiere on October 10, 2019." That is a lot of seasons.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Aug 30, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I’m a little surprised Preacher made it to the end. I’ve watched all but the last season and I’ve liked it, but it’s modest ratings were never going to justify the amount of poo poo AMC must get for making the holy scion whip out his dick and piss at every opportunity.

It’s impossible to describe the plot line with a straight face though. “And then in season 2 the supernatural preacher and his vampire buddy went on a road trip and the guy with an rear end in a top hat for a mouth meets Hitler.”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RandomFerret posted:

Preacher isn't a direct 1:1 adaptation, but it is very faithful in tone.

Would any of the people you regularly interact with talk about a Garth Ennis comic in public?

The Boys?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m a little surprised Preacher made it to the end. I’ve watched all but the last season and I’ve liked it, but it’s modest ratings were never going to justify the amount of poo poo AMC must get for making the holy scion whip out his dick and piss at every opportunity.

It’s impossible to describe the plot line with a straight face though. “And then in season 2 the supernatural preacher and his vampire buddy went on a road trip and the guy with an rear end in a top hat for a mouth meets Hitler.”

They have chill regular Jesus now as well as the incestual scion Humperdoo the dancing idiot so clearly they were trying to be sensitive to the oppressed Christian minority.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Mierenneuker posted:

Preacher season 4 is labeled as the final season. Whereas Wikipedia says "[Supernatural] has been renewed for a fifteenth and final season to consist of 20 episodes,[7] which is set to premiere on October 10, 2019." That is a lot of seasons.

That is nuts for a show that was canceled or 99% likely to be canceled around, I wanna say, season 5? And I think they said season 9 or 10 was gonna be their final season too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm still kinda oddly pissed that they are ending the show at season 15. I mean, I love it, but the big drama of "This season is going to be a short season BUT THE REASON FOR THAT IS TO GIVE J2 AND EVERYONE A CHANCE TO SPEND TIME WITH THEIR FAMILY! If they are happy, we can continue the show! DON'T WORRY" was a few weeks before they went "Oh, yea, well, turns out the short season reasoning is kinda dumb now, because we are closing it down now."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's only 2 fewer episodes though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

Yeah lots of them actually, I hang out with comics nerds

Preacher completely lost me during season 2 where nothing happened for half the season. And even before then I thought, much like The Boys, even more so, the comic would need serious editing to curb the worst Ennisisms and make it into a show with interesting themes, but for the show they threw out a lot of the Preacher essence along with the should-stay-in-comics stuff and replaced it with... nothing much really. Like I wanted to see Pop Superstar Arseface updated to a social media influencer but essentially the same B-plot, maybe throw in some internet guest stars, the whole Hitler thing left me cold from the start and slowly filling with dread as I realized they were turning it into an actual plot.

A lot of it also felt like making changes just for the sake of making changes, like American Gods, or actually really any adaptation these days. At some point you gotta acknowledge that if you're changing all the details just to surprise people who know the story, you're no longer telling that story. And at that point... just tell your own story.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I can't tell if you are like me, unable to remember which of warren ellis and garth ennis wrote preacher, or if I'm misreading an aside.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Aug 31, 2019

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Since this thread isn't exclusively about subtle moments but has become a place to talk about smallish stuff we appreciate in movies I'm going to post it here.

I was watching Downsizing last night. It's an okay, but not great, movie starring Matt Damon. The premise is that some Norwegian scientist invents a method to downsize living things, making people 5 or so inches tall. Great for the environment given the way climate change is going, and presented by the companies wanting to make money off of it as a great way to live because you can basically live in you dream house for the price of a fairly expensive doll house and your living expenses become negligible. It also explores some of the negative aspects to it, like an underclass of downsized people to support idyllic communities of the rich and white, forced downsizing by brutal regimes, etc. Christopher Waltz is in it too, which was fun.

It was the perfect movie to zone out to after a particularly frustrating day. Not great but kind of charming, and it did have one moment that made me laugh out loud.

You see, at a certain point there's fairly little interaction with anything regular sized, everything is scaled down, so you kind of forget in a way. It becomes part of the setting and you just accept it. There's still hints here and there, certain propotions being a bit off, something big in the background, etc. Until they get to Norway and are out in nature. You're reminded again that you're watching tiny people in a big world.

A lot of drama happens, there's a big will he won't he moment, romantic stuff and they have to run and hide behind a building because the entrance to a cave is going to be blown up. You expect a big explosion to move all that rock and mud.

Except everything is tiny, and while you know it's all scaled down, up until that point you didn't think about the physics of it all.

It's just a tiny loving firecracker or whatever, a small pop. And the mud just kind of flops down over the entrance.

God it was funny.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I can't tell if you are like me, unable to remember which of warren ellis and garth ennis wrote preacher, or if I'm misreading an aside.
You can always tell: if it's got World War II, Ireland, and lol you guys gays do it in the butt, it's Ennis, if it's got cyborgs, fringe info technology, and misanthropic witticisms it's Ellis.

(Drugs, magic, fourth wall breaking, obscure character from 1957, Morrison. Goths, mythology, books and storytelling, Gaiman. Rape and musical numbers, Moore.)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm still kinda oddly pissed that they are ending the show at season 15. I mean, I love it, but the big drama of "This season is going to be a short season BUT THE REASON FOR THAT IS TO GIVE J2 AND EVERYONE A CHANCE TO SPEND TIME WITH THEIR FAMILY! If they are happy, we can continue the show! DON'T WORRY" was a few weeks before they went "Oh, yea, well, turns out the short season reasoning is kinda dumb now, because we are closing it down now."

This sort of thing has actually become a big problem, at least in my opinion, when a television series ends. There was plenty wrong with the last season or two of Game of Thrones, but it can be argued that it would seem less terrible if they hadn't shortened both seasons, the seventh by three and the eighth by four. For some reason, there's a trend of ending a series with a shortened season, but then cramming in at least a season's worth of material or more. Boardwalk Empire also suffered from this.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Pope Corky the IX posted:

For some reason, there's a trend of ending a series with a shortened season, but then cramming in at least a season's worth of material or more. Boardwalk Empire also suffered from this.

I couldn't watch BWE after Darmody died. It lost all appeal to me quickly because it was so staunchly about the struggle between the two of them. There just didnt seem to be anyone else strong enough to carry the show after that. Same thing happened with a certain anime that I wouldnt want to double spoil here but if you know what I'm talking about you know what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gejimayu posted:

I couldn't watch BWE after Darmody died. It lost all appeal to me quickly because it was so staunchly about the struggle between the two of them. There just didnt seem to be anyone else strong enough to carry the show after that. Same thing happened with a certain anime that I wouldnt want to double spoil here but if you know what I'm talking about you know what I mean.

I'm just in S1 of BWE and uh, agreed.

I lost it with Dexter when they killed Doakes ffs.