Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Serephina posted:

For a relevant post - Is there a Cogmind thread on SA?
If there isn't, there should be. Cogmind is a Good Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Cardiovorax posted:

If there isn't, there should be. Cogmind is a Good Game.

I wish I could feel this way. Kyzrati is a cool guy and very generous with his time for people making their own roguelikes. I just can't seem to ever actually get into the game. It feels almost soulless to me and every time I start thinking I'm about to have fun I die.

Yeah, git gud I know but I'm terrible at playing roguelikes and don't mind dying a bunch in DCSS or Qud or w/e. Not for me I guess but I wish it was. :shrug:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's hard for me to get invested in my robot dude when any cool gun or part I might find is absolutely guaranteed to get blown to smithereens within a few fights and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not making a cool build with synergy or theme, I'm just wearing whatever trash I've most recently stumbled across. If said trash happens to randomly be good, I'd better enjoy it 'cause it won't last.

Like I once found this cool module that massively improved my melee abilities, and a cool sword to use it with. Whoa! They both broke within half a floor. :geno:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I mean, there isn't necessarily a contradiction there. Cogmind is really likely to gently caress you up, but at the same time, it isn't more cruel about it than that giant robutt roguelike that I forgot the name of.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Cardiovorax posted:

I mean, there isn't necessarily a contradiction there. Cogmind is really likely to gently caress you up, but at the same time, it isn't more cruel about it than that giant robutt roguelike that I forgot the name of.

Do you mean Gearhead/Gearhead 2, the game(s) that has the concept of both crits and multiplicative damage rollover, meaning a lucky hit that overflows the health of one of your weapons can cascade and destroy your whole mech? The game where it is not especially unusual for endgame enemies to carry weapons that do full damage to-hit rolls against every part of your mech? Where cockpit destruction is a valid tactic for both the player and enemies?

The Gearhead games are interesting, but are not worth playing like a traditional roguelike (which they aren't, really, anyways). Savescum the hell out of them, without mercy, says I. Any game that will happily spawn you in a fight with your back to an enemy who can one-shot you while it takes you three actions to turn around isn't worth that degree of respect. That this largely negates the equipment destruction management aspect is a happy side effect in this case.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The tl;dr version is it's a good game, I've had fun with it, but most of the stuff I said about variance and the costs/drawbacks associated with it are still true and applicable. It's clearly possible to be consistently good at STS, there are several deep skill tests that make up the core of the game, but like most high-variance + high-skill games it mostly comes down to contingency plans and constantly preparing for the worst-case scenario, and in the long term I don't find that as rewarding as having tools you can depend on 100% but also having total responsibility for using them correctly. Reminds me a lot of Firaxis X-Com or Faster Than Light.

My favorite thing about Tux is that they can absolutely list my absolute favorite games (XCOM, FTL, STS) by identifying the core thing they don't like and then perfectly identifying the games that do it best (worst). :tuxfans:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Do you mean Gearhead/Gearhead 2, the game(s) that has the concept of both crits and multiplicative damage rollover, meaning a lucky hit that overflows the health of one of your weapons can cascade and destroy your whole mech? The game where it is not especially unusual for endgame enemies to carry weapons that do full damage to-hit rolls against every part of your mech? Where cockpit destruction is a valid tactic for both the player and enemies?
Yup, definitely not more cruel than that.

Also, feeling really lucky right now that this never happened to me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the writing in rabi-ribi is good because 95% of it is just characters appearing and saying "i'm gay and i love women and my girlfriend"

the first real world segment is kinda weird but it's also like thirty seconds long and mostly just beating up a bunch of trash enemies

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's not a roguelike in any way right? I'm glad it got brought up because it sounds cool but I just got confused seeing it in this thread and then reading the steam description

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
It's a metroidvania with some bullet hell elements and lots of anime. So not really.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Turtlicious posted:

Just lmao if you can still feel shame.
If you wanna play tiddy game, play tiddy game.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 25, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

orphean posted:

I wish I could feel this way. Kyzrati is a cool guy and very generous with his time for people making their own roguelikes. I just can't seem to ever actually get into the game. It feels almost soulless to me and every time I start thinking I'm about to have fun I die.

Yeah, git gud I know but I'm terrible at playing roguelikes and don't mind dying a bunch in DCSS or Qud or w/e. Not for me I guess but I wish it was. :shrug:

I kinda feel that Cogmind is a roguelike's fan roguelike; it does all the hard nasty things that'd make a fan of the Berlin definition happy, doesn't blend genres nor adds metaprogression like the recent roguelike-likes are doing, while also still being a very modern title.

It will also rob you of your lunch money and makes sure you NEVER feel safe nor have trash mobs, which I agree can get really exhausting especially when your long run comes to a wimpering end.

tldr; play on extra-easy like me, have a lot of fun.

Regarding getting the parts you want, an easy way to get them is to have prior knowledge and use a scroll of wishing schematic() the terminals then fabricate your own stuff. Mother loving POWER ARMOR is a tier4 item and can be found/fabbed at level -7! Other staples such as KE Penetrators are also easy to hack.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's definitely not a lite experience. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't into running into gnomes with a wand of death Nethack-style. No shame in that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ecavalli posted:

My only real issue with SoR is that I wish there was more of it. More classes, more items, more rewards, more everything. I'm holding out hope that it sells well enough to justify DLC or a massive sequel.

how tight are the controls these days

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Tollymain posted:

how tight are the controls these days

Depends on the character. Some of the faster ones feel a bit floaty, but I've never felt like I died because the controls weren't responsive enough.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Echoing, SoR on Switch is very fun. Slowdowns are infrequent and almost functioning like the in game dramatic slowdown, ie happening when dramatic things occur.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Not sure how much folks from this thread check the MMO thread but Dungeons & Dragons Online now has a permadeath server:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896993

Played some this weekend and it's fun-- people usually die from traps!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The Din's Legacy 1.0 patch just dropped. I haven't played it for a good, long while, but plan to give it a shot in the upcoming week.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Checked out UnderMine after seeing a bunch of LP videos on youtube and my hatred for giant sandworm bosses continues to be justified.

I cannot beat the giant sandworm boss :(

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Can somebody talk about Cadence of Hyrule? If I love the crap out of Necrodancer is it a good purchase? Can I play base Necrodancer in it on my Switch?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Funktor posted:

Can somebody talk about Cadence of Hyrule? If I love the crap out of Necrodancer is it a good purchase? Can I play base Necrodancer in it on my Switch?

Definitely a great purchase but know that it's, like, a brand new game that uses some systems from Necrodancer and not just a Zelda-styled sequel. You can buy base Necrodancer separately on Switch and it's often on sale really cheap I think

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
you have to buy necrodancer separately.

it's ok, really different but not as good a game imo. The first playthrough is funny but easy, then the "real" game becomes the permadeath mode which is frustrating to start out because you dont get the tools to learn enemy patterns like you do in necrodancer.

Pleasant overall but I wouldnt expect it to deliver the same over the top value necrodancer does (for the right person).

I think there are a lot of people who might bounce off of curse but like cadence tho.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Cadence is definitely more forgiving in some ways, and has PLAYABLE ZELDA. Necrodancer has some more forgiving easier modes, but a much higher skill ceiling as well. (The last third of the "sane person's 100%" plot has to be done on a character with 1 HP who dies on a single missed beat).

I'd say that Cadence is probably slicker and with a bit more polish, but Necrodancer definitely feels more complete, even before adding in that there's a DLC expansion for Necrodancer. Cadence of Hyrule is an experience, a game you put 10-20 hours into, and then pick up again every so often for a quick run or two.

Necrodancer?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
As far as I’m concerned it’s Danny B and Family Jules covering/remixing all my favorite Zelda tracks with a decent but pared down Zelda game attached to it. That’s why I bought it and it did not disappoint in that regard.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Anyone else played RAD yet?

Its sick as gently caress, I mean its bandai namco and double-fine so when they strike a tone they really strike a tone. I'm enjoying the poo poo out of it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cadence of Hyrule is a Zelda game that uses necrodancer mechanic in place of its traditional systems. It’s fun, looks great, and it’s remixes are dope, but it doesn’t have any of the replay value of necrodancer.

I finished my first play through in 7 hours and am content with never booting up the game again.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I managed to win the new god hunters campaign in Trials of Fire, pretty fun but not that different than the original campaign at all.

In my opinion the best setup is a hunter going all ranged damage, elementalist going all aoe and either an alchemist or warlord with rally and other support cards. Obviously who you end up using depends on the loot and changes every battle.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I still haven't played Cogmind for more than like 20 minutes because if I try playing it on my laptop it skips loving up my in-game character and goes straight for loving up my real-world eyes.

I should try it on the desktop with the big monitor one of these days...

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Motherfucker posted:

Anyone else played RAD yet?

Its sick as gently caress, I mean its bandai namco and double-fine so when they strike a tone they really strike a tone. I'm enjoying the poo poo out of it.

I've been enjoying it. It's a Double Fine game so the gameplay is [noncommittal wiggly hand gesture], but you're absolutely right about the tone being great.

I kinda wish the booming keytar cultist would stop yelling every single time I pick up money, though.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Atomicrops is coming out next week!

To epic game store :(

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing Crypt of the Necrodancer again, and I was wondering if seeds from before the DLC was released will still work for seeded runs? If not, is there a place I can find seeds that will still work with the dlc loaded?
Thanks

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What an odd question. I'm sure you can troll some old forum posts you find on google to see some cute seeds (e.g. the green bat achievement) but I'm not sure why you'd want seeds pre-dlc at all, are you trying to do non-dlc runs? In that case you can probably (temporarily) uninstall the DLC on the steam page.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Harminoff posted:

Atomicrops is coming out next week!

To epic game store :(

It's only early access so you have time if you want to wait for the full thing.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh, someone mentioned Trials of Fire in the thread recently and I went ahead and gave it a shot.

It's really good? I wasn't a fan of the idea of miniature-like combat, but it's pretty well done and doesn't take away much from the card based gameplay. Not sure how much depth it has since I've only just unlocked one new card for every class and done one run to the second boss, which destroyed me (but I realized I could've been building my mage a lot better)

I'll be playing it a lot this weekend I believe.

On another topic, I've mentioned Roguebook before since I'm a backer, and another goon asked me about a controversy I wasn't aware. Apparently there was an issue with a contractor that went unpaid, but it's been solved as per their kickstarter update. There's also a new alpha version of the game that changes A Lot, and in fact shows us that the game still is in a state of constant iteration. I'll probably give it a look as well.

Interestingly, they seem to be following the example of Deck of Ashes for their overworld. I still think DoA can improve theirs but I do like the idea so I'm happy to see a bit more of it.

And yet another thing: Legend of Keepers has an open alpha available on their discord! It looks pretty interesting too and the team seems to be very invested in marketing and some social media presence, so that's one to keep an eye on. Again, will give it a try this weekend, anyone played it yet?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

RyokoTK posted:

As far as I’m concerned it’s Danny B and Family Jules covering/remixing all my favorite Zelda tracks with a decent but pared down Zelda game attached to it. That’s why I bought it and it did not disappoint in that regard.
Well poo poo, if you put it like that then what choice do I have?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yesss!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smkdscv6SJs

Yor Fizzlebeef
Nov 7, 2010

Can you feel it?
Are any of the recent Mystery Dungeon games for the Switch and 3DS any good in your opinion? I really quite enjoyed the original Shiren the Wanderer game on the DS and have been looking around for similar titles for a while. What is the general take on the Chocobo and Pokemon roguelikes?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Yor Fizzlebeef posted:

What is the general take on the Chocobo and Pokemon roguelikes?

I dunno about the "general take," but I find them enjoyable. Keep in mind though, they are roguelikes boiled down to the bare essentials and are aimed at an audience that likely wouldn't have the patience for a proper roguelike. If you're looking for infinite depth, you may want to search elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Yor Fizzlebeef posted:

Are any of the recent Mystery Dungeon games for the Switch and 3DS any good in your opinion? I really quite enjoyed the original Shiren the Wanderer game on the DS and have been looking around for similar titles for a while. What is the general take on the Chocobo and Pokemon roguelikes?

the pokedungeons are much easier but have "more" exploring and makes you worry about type matchups. I never got to play the chocobo dungeons...but there have been whisperings of shiren 5 coming to pc.