Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
ace of baes has always been a class reductionist, but I gotta say that “the rich are all rapist pedophile cannibals” is a marked improvement from getting mad at blue haired non-binary people like he used to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Woozy posted:

that doesn't make any sense though

it actually makes perfect sense, being rich literally makes your brain sick, very rarely people don't have it happen but the vast majority turn into literal sadistic sociopaths, much like the guards in the Stanford prison experiement turned into an psychos super quickly in a fake jail in a school with no actual real power

Ace of Baes has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Aug 28, 2019

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I thought they debunked the Stanford prison experiment

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
we got another narrative believer here :rolleyes:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Rated PG-34 posted:

I thought they debunked the Stanford prison experiment

it was an unethical experiment and the data was deemed useless because the observers/scientist interfered, but what happened was very well recorded and you can read all about it as a bunch of ppl have written about it, there's also a few movies about it

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Dr. Killjoy posted:

ace of baes has always been a class reductionist, but I gotta say that “the rich are all rapist pedophile cannibals” is a marked improvement from getting mad at blue haired non-binary people like he used to

Knives out... another fave implicated. this time its especially personal

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Stanford prison experiment terminated prematurely after one of the mock guards bonked a mock prisoner with a foam baton, shattering their skull and pulping their brain

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Ace of Baes posted:

it was an unethical experiment and the data was deemed useless because the observers/scientist interfered, but what happened was very well recorded and you can read all about it as a bunch of ppl have written about it, there's also a few movies about it

the initial study was flawed but replications and similar experiments largely matched the findings

also real life prisons

Calibanibal posted:

Knives out... another fave implicated. this time its especially personal

buddy you try sharing a podcast thread with AoB

and then have dickeye mixed in for good measure

bad forums time

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Aug 28, 2019

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
even granting, insanely, that its a totally valid experiment that tells us something true about human nature, the only thing it does actually purport to tell us is that people go to great lengths to acquiesce to authority figures--a problem the rich obviously do not have.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Woozy posted:

even granting, insanely, that its a totally valid experiment that tells us something true about human nature, the only thing it does actually purport to tell us is that people go to great lengths to acquiesce to authority figures--a problem the rich obviously do not have.

Sure you're not mixing it up with the Milgram electroshock experiment?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

StashAugustine posted:

they are, the prisoners in Stanford actively rebelled/protested

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

Stanford prison experiment terminated prematurely after one of the mock guards bonked a mock prisoner with a foam baton, shattering their skull and pulping their brain

Ah drat, if only they had more supervision and mental health training to recognize the prisoner was suicidal.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

both experiments investigate the same thing, which has nothing at all to do with the completely beyond batshit idea that wealth induces psycopathy, or at least moreso than just poverty--a way, way better predictor of every kind of violence remotely comparable to epsteins crimes

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Woozy posted:

both experiments investigate the same thing, which has nothing at all to do with the completely beyond batshit idea that wealth induces psycopathy, or at least moreso than just poverty--a way, way better predictor of every kind of violence remotely comparable to epsteins crimes

yikes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's actually a little creepy how hard information about the Franklin scandal is to gather through Google.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The relevant quantum theory is Loop Quantum Gravity. Parallel dimensions are not a consequence of LQG though I believe they exist in a weak form. Imagine the universe as a single probability field (quantized spacetime) in which the "trajectory" of your personal probabilities determine the universe you experience; i.e., you will always experience a consistent universe but anything outside the scope of your own probability "trajectory" (deviations from probability as determined by free will) cannot be readily observed. In this way reality is also functionally a consensus reality where all determined things are only set as a conjunction of probability (from our collective probability trajectory); i.e., what is most probable for you is in all likelihood most probable for me as well, and we will experience reality in the same way.

The weak form of parallel dimensions that can arise as a consequence of this model is that sets of probabilities occur concurrently but independent of your own. In other words, they exist as sets of improbabilities - for you (as determined by choices you've made). In this model, parallel dimensions are really occurring but unobservable up until the point you have shifted your probability trajectory sufficiently that you can observe that already occurring set of probabilities (for the parallel you) or improbabilities (for you). Additionally if you cannot readily observe improbable (for you) phenomena fully this model doesn't preclude the possibility that their effects can be felt by some but not all of your senses and even possibly measured (dark energy?).

You can see how this serves as a ready catch-all for all manner of unexplained phenomena, which is convenient but also possibly too convenient.

so you're saying aliens have an improbability drive from hitchhiker's guide?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
No, I think UFOs are human aircraft from parallel dimensions (wherever (if ever) they're not human aircraft from this dimension).

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Calibanibal posted:

that subject was richard ngo, andy's father

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Woozy posted:

lmao literally the same logic people use to argue that black people are more violent

Wealthy people just have their particular type of evil normalized or ignored by law enforcement.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I do wonder how perverted the inner-narrative gets for an extremely rich or powerful person. I mean, just common self-centeredness tends to also get pretty superstitious on an ontological level (God hates/loves me, the universe is against me, etc). Like, the story of who you are, your relationship to the world around you, and the meaning you build from your experiences would seemingly get pretty deformed if all evidence points to the universe/deity favoring you over everyone else.

In this case, the actual worship of Moloch or whatever seems like a pretty sensical end point for that type of thinking. The rich have far less reason to doubt their inner narcissist. To most of us it's pretty drat clear that we aren't the center of the universe of the apple of some God's eye. To a rich person I can imagine their seemingly natural specialness would be a seduction hard to resist. That also would explain why they're all such gigantic babies.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

I think the real problem with being rich is that once you have all of your urges catered to then ennui sets in, and you have to seek out more transgressive experiences just to maintain the thrill of living. For most rich people that just means having a few mistresses or big game hunting a polar bear staked down to a zoo exhibit, but it takes a particular network and ideology to really get into kid loving. Again, I don't think the involvement of old world aristocracy in the Epstein ring is a trivial matter of rich people doing rich people things. It's a cultural institution.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

lmao literally the same logic people use to argue that black people are more violent

Wealthy people just have their particular type of evil normalized or ignored by law enforcement.

its exactly the opposite logic. its your logic, i.e., that circumstances have something to do with outcomes

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think the real problem with being rich is that once you have all of your urges catered to then ennui sets in, and you have to seek out more transgressive experiences just to maintain the thrill of living. For most rich people that just means having a few mistresses or big game hunting a polar bear staked down to a zoo exhibit, but it takes a particular network and ideology to really get into kid loving. Again, I don't think the involvement of old world aristocracy in the Epstein ring is a trivial matter of rich people doing rich people things. It's a cultural institution.

Salo was a documentary.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I do wonder how perverted the inner-narrative gets for an extremely rich or powerful person. I mean, just common self-centeredness tends to also get pretty superstitious on an ontological level (God hates/loves me, the universe is against me, etc). Like, the story of who you are, your relationship to the world around you, and the meaning you build from your experiences would seemingly get pretty deformed if all evidence points to the universe/deity favoring you over everyone else.

In this case, the actual worship of Moloch or whatever seems like a pretty sensical end point for that type of thinking. The rich have far less reason to doubt their inner narcissist. To most of us it's pretty drat clear that we aren't the center of the universe of the apple of some God's eye. To a rich person I can imagine their seemingly natural specialness would be a seduction hard to resist. That also would explain why they're all such gigantic babies.

This is based on Georges Bataille's actually existing secret society, the Acéphale

quote:

Because of its very nature, it is difficult to describe the society's acts. Bataille referred several times to Marcel Mauss who had studied secret societies in Africa, describing them as a "total social phenomenon". On this model, he organized several nocturnal meetings in the woods, near an oak which had been struck by lightning. Members of the Acéphale society were required to adopt several rituals, such as refusing to shake hands with anti-semites and celebrating the decapitation of Louis XVI, an event which prefigured the "chiefless crowd" targeted by "acéphalité". Members of the society were also invited to meditation, on texts of Nietzsche, Freud, Sade and Mauss read during the assemblies. There was discussion amongst members about the possibility of carrying out a human sacrifice, but these discussions were never put into action

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Salo was a documentary.

small brain: Kubrick was killed by the cabal for Eyes Wide Shut
big brain: Pasolini was killed by P2 for Salo

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
There’s not nearly enough cracking and pinging in whatever the gently caress has been going on over the past six pages of this thread. Legitimate implications of an international sex trafficking ring that may or may not be facilitated directly by intelligence agencies and indirectly by a pliant centrist media landscape are being run roughshod over by UFOs and Bigfoot, for chrissake.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Woozy posted:

could you really imagine yourself as a person who can have whatever he wants on a whim while internalizing that almost nobody else has that power? we define ourselves as humans by our limits--the uber rich have none. everyone has appetites that they don't indulge because they can't pay for the consequences. read that last sentence as darkly as you can afford to.

poverty is the other side of the coin. you can't escape the knowledge that there is another world adjacent to your world of constant numbing hustle, that other people don't live with the struggles you do, so gently caress it, take that stereo out of that assholes garage, he can replace it nothing matters anyway.

mental conditions are deeply affected by your material conditions. affluenza is a real thing.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

perhaps we need a dedicated UFO/Bigfoot/American Mexican Association thread. It’s heartwarming to see so many folks’ ties to the consensus reality of Enlightenment Materialist Rationalism imposed on us by The Conspiracy fraying and the realization that everything is true, but it’s getting in the way of cracking and pinging about the topic at hand.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

pshhh
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890230

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

circumstances having an effect on outcomes is the entire basis of sociology

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

could you really imagine yourself as a person who can have whatever he wants on a whim while internalizing that almost nobody else has that power? we define ourselves as humans by our limits--the uber rich have none. everyone has appetites that they don't indulge because they can't pay for the consequences. read that last sentence as darkly as you can afford to.

poverty is the other side of the coin. you can't escape the knowledge that there is another world adjacent to your world of constant numbing hustle, that other people don't live with the struggles you do, so gently caress it, take that stereo out of that assholes garage, he can replace it nothing matters anyway.

mental conditions are deeply affected by your material conditions. affluenza is a real thing.

this veers extroardinarily close to protesting too much, which in the pedophile thread is not probably to be unexpected. try to understand that this is the view of an actual rapist/psycopath/whatever: "he has no practical limits to his whims, so it's no surprise he does awful things the rest of us cannot". okay, buffalo bill, if you say so.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
also "affluenza" is not real wtf

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

woozy with the doozies

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
idk i guess invoking the term coined by the attorney of a rich person just flirts a little too closely with actually defending a rich person but that's just me

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Dr. Killjoy posted:

ace of baes has always been a class reductionist,

so, correct?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Woozy posted:

this veers extroardinarily close to protesting too much, which in the pedophile thread is not probably to be unexpected. try to understand that this is the view of an actual rapist/psycopath/whatever: "he has no practical limits to his whims, so it's no surprise he does awful things the rest of us cannot". okay, buffalo bill, if you say so.

I'm not making excuses for them I'm saying we need to make them less rich! I thought that was clear with the bit about how bad poverty can be.
this isn't some hypothetical either. check out programmed to kill. I'm not saying that wealth always leads to mental illness or socially maladaptive behavior (wealth accumulation is socially maladaptive in and of itself) in the same way that not everyone in chernobyl died of radiation poisoning.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
Ames and taibbi write good poo poo, who gives a gently caress what they're like in real life

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Programmed to Kill is really good but I've also noticed that some of the most terrifying revelations have like no citations and no practical way to follow up on. For some of you who are new to cracking and pinging you need to balance this stuff out with a healthy dose of agnosticism or else you will literally go insane. The more horrifying the material the easier it can be to accept without any verification, especially when there is already so much horrifying and verifiable stuff that's built into Epstein-Brain-Consciousness.

I recommend focusing mainly on a grounded study in historical materialism or the more down-to-earth "conspiracy theory" Chomsky stuff. Otherwise, you need to understand that you can actually make yourself crazy and you won't be able to control how far it goes (you'll wake up in what Robert Anton Wilson called Chapel Perilous and you'll never escape). It's important to be conscious of how you're relating to this info and the affect it's having on you. Irony legit helps. Meditative practice helps too. Anything that helps you stay out of a total binary system of thought and allows you to continue being a functional person that can enjoy and experience love and things with the people around you.

They don't sell it for kindle?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

When you boil it down to the base, Satanism is just a libertarian cult so it has a natural in to rich financing for millionaires and billionaires who want to get their jollies off under the cover of an edgelord religion. When the Thelema is the root of your moral philosophy then child abuse is just another option to indulge in. Other esoteric religions come to similar conclusions albeit in a much more roundabout way, which basically serve as an excuse to allow rich people to indulge in reactionary power fantasies.

There's a distinction with Thelema from other esoteric societies that I feel like you're overlooking -- whereas the inner secret of most esoteric societies usually boils down to "nothing is true everything is permitted" -- Thelema as an initiatory system in the structure of the OTO or the AA is a total reversal of that theosophical magic trick. The vulgar and exoteric teaching of Thelema is the Man is God, the individual reigns supreme usual nonsense that's typically the endgoal of traditional enlightenment cults or whatever. The esoteric teaching tends to be moreso like eastern mysticism (zen buddhism, tantra) with like a western gnostic dress. The Satanic aspects of Thelema pretty much just boil down to classic gnosticism, and the whole spiritual process is supposed to culminate with a destruction of the individual ego (crossing the abyss) your usual mystical realization of the unity of all things. This is why Qabala is central to Thelema, because it's the schizophrenic process of connecting all of existence and non-existence together into one consciousness. It's a cataloging system that is intended to eventually break your brain because of how everything begins to "fit'. The final goal of Thelema has always been the stated goal of all religions, which is to connect the individual into a whole and instill humility, love, and service to humanity. Pretty classical morality, the idea is just to get there indirectly and thus avoid the pitfalls of other cults. Hence the motto "The method of science, the aim of religion."

This is also why Crowley's real successor, Frater Achad, eventually just abandoned Thelema and became a catholic bishop after completing the initiation system.

But, since the vulgar teaching of Thelema is the "Do what thou wilt" commandment and all the connotations that that phrase invokes, it has tended to attract not-so-great people. Mainly a bunchof horny nerds that are looking for a way to feel superior to everyone else and also get laid. Crowley is a dangerous role model for these types since he did feel that "excess" (extreme devotion and practice to anything) lead to wisdom. I also think he got way too much of a kick out of convincing people to eat their own cum because magick.

Anyways, my point is just that there's a pretty big misunderstanding about what Thelema/OTO is and I think it can be misleading to think that its an ideology invented to allow unbridled indulgence in the worst aspects of humanity (which is the role of LaVeyan Satanism, imo). Thelema is a red herring within this larger structure of exploitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Killjoy posted:

the initial study was flawed but replications and similar experiments largely matched the findings

No they haven't, and no real scientist would attempt to replicate it because the experiment violates ethical standards