Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Internet Kraken posted:

Because of spiked blocks.

Part of me is glad ON/OFF blocks aren't in 3D world. Cuts down on the uncreative speedrun levels.

Spike blocks are worthless trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Macaluso posted:

They don't even look good! You put a few together and they're just awkwardly hanging out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Macaluso posted:

I mean, they do what they're meant to do. It is a case though where the lack of a simple part (spikes and munchers) isn't really compensated for by the 3D world equivalent since its bigger.

ON/OFF switches also affect conveyor belts when you toggle em. Combined with skipsqueaks and their anti-conveyor movement you could make a pretty interesting 3D world stage focused around that.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Deleted, stage broke bad, doesn't exist now

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 27, 2019

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Spike blocks are perfectly fine,

in water levels. They have cute faces

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh youre talking about the other, worse spike blocks. My bad

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean, they do what they're meant to do. It is a case though where the lack of a simple part (spikes and munchers) isn't really compensated for by the 3D world equivalent since its bigger.

ON/OFF switches also affect conveyor belts when you toggle em. Combined with skipsqueaks and their anti-conveyor movement you could make a pretty interesting 3D world stage focused around that.

The on/off switches also affect the rail blocks (or whatever they're called) in 3D World. That's one I didn't know about until a few days ago.

It's still not much, mind you.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hi! Ok! Let's try this again.

BoB: Wiggler Swamp Riders. 8BT-HD2-FPF

Made this intentionally simple, kind of intended to be the first level of say, world 4 or something. I plan on making a more involved level with the same concepts later to show the progression. Had to take it down at first because I made so you couldn't get into a secret area which that kinda sucks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OneMoreTime posted:

They don't even look good! You put a few together and they're just awkwardly hanging out.

This is how I feel about the entire SM3DW tileset. It just all looks... off and empty, devoid of character.

Goddamn the moveset is fun, though.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Horizontal ropes and vertical poles to climb is what they need to add. That's a big part of 3D Mario is the ability to do flips off ropes and tightrope across them

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Nuclear fire from the Great Mushroom War has irradiated this once peaceful river. Now that the dust has settled and Bowser's forces lay dead, go and reclaim nature by cleansing this:

Toxic Tributary
DJW-3LX-6LG

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hey everyone, I'll be playing (most of) the latest levels posted in the thread tonight at 6 pm PDT/9 pm EDT. There were a ton of levels this time around, I couldn't include them all even if I tried so good job on that! It'll leave a few for my Thursday night stream.

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Levels to be played:

1. 30-50 Feral Hogs
By: Crass Casualty XD9-HKK-5LF

2. The Destroyed World
By: Gnome Enthusiast 8B1-3V5-TGG

3. Race to the Bottom
By: Colonel Whitey 0RW-8R9-9PG

4. My Friend, Yoshi
By: TransatlanticFoe JBK-44J-PQG

5. Hammer Valley
By: Phantasium NB6-97W-32H

6. POW Block Panic
By: Macaluso QM8-LNQ-GRG

7. Blastblock Mine
By: Last Visible Dog BFS-LQK-1YG

8. Valley of Koopa-Chompem
By: Too Shy Guy BMH-N2C-WTG

9. 1-1 Air Raid
By: Control Volume 2WY-LF6-WGG

10. Sweatin' it in the Swamp
By: Unhappy Meal V16-S7Y-SVF

11. 1-2 Cloud Cover Fire
By: Control Volume B9X-773-D1H

12. The Phantom Express
By: Internet Kraken N2X-J05-YYF

13. 1-3 Aerial Pursuit
By: Control Volume SV5-TPM-JNF

14. A Moderate SMB3 Stage
By: Tonberi BTV-6MV-MWF

15. 1-4 Dreadnought Koopa
By: Control Volume S6P-XJP-33G

16. Bowser's Submarine Lava Castle?!
By: Tonberi XN6-CHD-TMF

17. I'll come back for you!
By: May Contain Nuts X0K-JSN-G5G

18. The Descent?
By: Phantasium V3W-G5C-GSF

19: Shuddershade Shack
By: ThisIsACoolGuy D4C-8P1-MRG

20. Thwomp's Fortress
By: SilverSupernova WXK-T1D-N0G

21. The Flyin' King
By: Too Shy Guy S86-2KX-KRG

22. Cavern Climb PT1-H03-KQG
By: SilverSupernova

23. Muddy Mountain
By: Gnome Enthusiast NDK-4J0-KSF

24. Kicker
By: SilverSupernova 4GG-2TQ-76G

25. Lost in the Forest of Illusion
By: Dog nougat 0L9-LW6-14G

26. Kong '88 W3
By: Spellman GFW-QM5-L1G

27. BoB: Goombrat Grotto
By: yrmr 888-RVK-XQF

28. Toefur Speedrun: 30sec Ice Dash
By: Udenpah JLK-BQ5-L1G

29. Toefur Speedruns Dos: Lava Lake
By: Udenpah NVX-QQM-SCG

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My submission for the Goon world.

Enjoy!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

Nuclear fire from the Great Mushroom War has irradiated this once peaceful river. Now that the dust has settled and Bowser's forces lay dead, go and reclaim nature by cleansing this:

Toxic Tributary
DJW-3LX-6LG

Had a lot of fun with this one. Kept dying in really stupid ways, but I finally got it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Suspicious Cook posted:

Toxic Tributary
DJW-3LX-6LG

Fun platforming challenges! I liked how you were able to use the floating platform to provide some unique obstacles. At one point the platform actually split in two though...I assume that's not supposed to happen?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

PantsBandit posted:

At one point the platform actually split in two though...I assume that's not supposed to happen?

No. I'm assuming a switch must have been triggered while the cannons were on either side of a hidden one way door. Was it right after the "miniboss"? That's the only place where I can imagine that happening.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Experience the true power of the P-Switch. The P stands for platforming.

Mostly timed platforming challenges, no weird door mazes. Made this thing forever ago, but I still like it.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live with goon levels in 5 minutes!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Decided to make my first stage in a while for the Goon World, my original idea was too complex to work within the style guide (as it is I still skewed a bit) but i think its a nice little romp that feels like a mostly regular stage

BoB Botanical Brats QHG-6N8-MWG

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
:colbert:

I'll come back for you too! 4B4-23V-T4G

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Unhappy Meal posted:

V16-S7Y-SVF
Sweatin' it in the Swamp

Got convinced to buy a Switch, and here I am with a first course.

Went with making Random Acts of Mario giving me a theme. Ultimately feel like I'm trying to pack too much into too small a space, but it does at least keep the level from overstaying its welcome.

Now that I've had my chance to see OneMoreTime run through it, have an update to Sweatin' it the Swamp: Now Less Sweaty Edition based on thread feedback.

Tried to dial it back a little on the difficulty. Ditched the extraneous gadgets, and focused on expanding the fun platforming and boot/level interplay from the second half into the first half.

Also now there are three 1-ups to find, and all skips and detours are predicted and rewarded.

Sweatin' it in the Swamp
NQ0-FNW-TRF

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

I made another stage, in everyone's favorite night mode: ghost house! Hope you don't like seeing!

NJ9-7J4-DSG The Darkness Wii U
I was aiming for a mid-late game ghost house, and tried to signpost platforms with coins and 'lights'.

Also, some levels I've been working on for my four year old to play because even easy endless is too much for her,
441-40S-QJF SKP 1-1
(SKP stands for Super [daughter's name] Princess) Mario 1 themed level for general platforming basics
GY7-81B-FFG SKP 1-2
Mario 3 themed level to teach her some raccoon tail things
69Y-75X-RRF SKP 1-3
SMW themed level with Yoshis! Save the Yoshis!

And for some levels others have made!
P-Switch Paradise by Party Bug 3YT-GK2-9YF
I died a few times grabbing the p switch right after the checkpoint and then had no way to reset, did you mean for the p switch to be coming out of the pipe instead of just on it? Aside from that it was a really fun level with a nice challenge progression and I was really glad that I only had to do a jump off a P-Switch to live when I was a little late to hitting one, and not jumping from p switch to p switch in a sea of spikes like I thought it might be.

Toxic Tributary by Suspicious Cook DJW-3LX-6LG
I don't really have too much to say about this, except that it was fun and cool and good!

I'll come back for you too! by May Contain Nuts 4B4-23V-T4G
I liked this puzzle before, and I like it now. Interested to see this concept used in a troll or something else >:3

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Here's another level. I'm not sure if it'll be obvious playing through it yourself, but this level was a real pain in the rear end to make. Not gonna spoil the main gimmick, but I definitely felt like I was pushing a square block through a round hole. Had to go through a bunch of revisions just to find the right interactions that didn't fall apart, but I think it ended up decently enough. It could probably stand to be a bit more polished or longer, but people have already left nice comments so I'm not gonna take it down.

Rising Repetitions: Q38-NP7-VHG

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1166535814265753602?s=20

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

OneMoreTime posted:

Going live with goon levels in 5 minutes!

Went back into your VOD and watched my level

1) You completely broke the first part's end bit with the exploding bridge leading to the Thwomp. I can't believe I didn't think about that.
2) I'll have to make a non-3D World autoscrollers specifically for you :v:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

In Training posted:

Shells always bounce to the left off springs if there's a Pow Block or P-Switch loaded below their spawn point. They always go to the right if there's one above, so you can stick one in a wall somewhere to guide the shells where you want them to go.

Ugh I just tested this and it doesn't work for Dry Bones or Spiny shells :( So I'm still stumped at how to make this Dry Bones shell go left without reflecting it off a sideways spring.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Debating on if I should play the BoB levels now or wait till it's all compiled together :v:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Stream complete! Thanks for joining me as always and getting me to my goal of 50 followers. It does mean a lot, and it's a really good crowd with you all coming in and chatting. Thanks for sticking with me every week, I'm happy I can provide you all some good Mario Makin' and playing :).

Link to VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/473315691

Levels played:

1. 30-50 Feral Hogs
By: Crass Casualty XD9-HKK-5LF

2. The Destroyed World
By: Gnome Enthusiast 8B1-3V5-TGG

3. Race to the Bottom
By: Colonel Whitey 0RW-8R9-9PG

4. My Friend, Yoshi
By: TransatlanticFoe JBK-44J-PQG

5. Hammer Valley
By: Phantasium NB6-97W-32H

6. POW Block Panic
By: Macaluso QM8-LNQ-GRG

7. Blastblock Mine
By: Last Visible Dog BFS-LQK-1YG

8. Valley of Koopa-Chompem
By: Too Shy Guy BMH-N2C-WTG

9. 1-1 Air Raid
By: Control Volume 2WY-LF6-WGG

10. Sweatin' it in the Swamp
By: Unhappy Meal V16-S7Y-SVF

11. 1-2 Cloud Cover Fire
By: Control Volume B9X-773-D1H

12. The Phantom Express
By: Internet Kraken N2X-J05-YYF

13. 1-3 Aerial Pursuit
By: Control Volume SV5-TPM-JNF

14. A Moderate SMB3 Stage
By: Tonberi BTV-6MV-MWF

15. 1-4 Dreadnought Koopa
By: Control Volume S6P-XJP-33G

16. Bowser's Submarine Lava Castle?!
By: Tonberi XN6-CHD-TMF

17. I'll come back for you!
By: May Contain Nuts X0K-JSN-G5G

18. The Descent?
By: Phantasium V3W-G5C-GSF

19: Shuddershade Shack
By: ThisIsACoolGuy D4C-8P1-MRG

20. Thwomp's Fortress
By: SilverSupernova WXK-T1D-N0G

21. The Flyin' King
By: Too Shy Guy S86-2KX-KRG

22. Cavern Climb PT1-H03-KQG
By: SilverSupernova

23. Muddy Mountain
By: Gnome Enthusiast NDK-4J0-KSF

24. Kicker
By: SilverSupernova 4GG-2TQ-76G

25. Lost in the Forest of Illusion
By: Dog nougat 0L9-LW6-14G

26. Kong '88 W3
By: Spellman GFW-QM5-L1G

27. BoB: Goombrat Grotto
By: yrmr 888-RVK-XQF

28. Toefur Speedrun: 30sec Ice Dash
By: Udenpah JLK-BQ5-L1G

29. Toefur Speedruns Dos: Lava Lake
By: Udenpah NVX-QQM-SCG

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Macaluso posted:

Went back into your VOD and watched my level

1) You completely broke the first part's end bit with the exploding bridge leading to the Thwomp. I can't believe I didn't think about that.
2) I'll have to make a non-3D World autoscrollers specifically for you :v:

Ha! Yeah I had a feeling that wasn't intended. It worked out just fine in the end.

Also, I wouldn't argue against that :)

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

OneMoreTime posted:

Hey everyone, I'll be playing (most of) the latest levels posted in the thread tonight at 6 pm PDT/9 pm EDT. There were a ton of levels this time around, I couldn't include them all even if I tried so good job on that! It'll leave a few for my Thursday night stream.

I watched just recently and since you asked when playing through Cavern Climb:
That ledge near the beginning was originally supposed to have a red coin hidden up there, but I moved it later and didn’t bother to close it.
And I didn’t intend to have the player abandon Yoshi at that point. You more or less played that section properly (though there was a hidden star there).

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 28, 2019

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

OneMoreTime posted:

Thanks for playing my levels! I knew the boss-fight was going to be boring but I didnt want to complicate things in world 1, so its there out of a sense of tradition more than anything while I try figuring out bossfights that are a little more novel, but Im glad the platforming carried the rest of the level haha.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

OneMoreTime posted:

Stream complete! Thanks for joining me as always and getting me to my goal of 50 followers. It does mean a lot, and it's a really good crowd with you all coming in and chatting. Thanks for sticking with me every week, I'm happy I can provide you all some good Mario Makin' and playing :).

This was a good-rear end stream and y'all should watch

And I'm not just saying that because he found my levels tolerable

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

OneMoreTime posted:

Thanks for playing as usual, your streams are real chill to watch and I swear I'll catch more live. I really like hopping in you at Cartridge Blowers streams.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Debating on if I should play the BoB levels now or wait till it's all compiled together :v:

Both.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Suspicious Cook posted:

No. I'm assuming a switch must have been triggered while the cannons were on either side of a hidden one way door. Was it right after the "miniboss"? That's the only place where I can imagine that happening.

Sorry, haven't been able to go back to it to get a screenshot. There's one part where you have to jump over a stationary platform that the moving platform travels beneath. Above is one or two switches, hitting one of those switches is what caused the platform to spit in two. I don't know that it's worth worrying about, it seemed like a weird fringe case.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair!

I think I'm almost done with three houses so I can probably get into it before Astral Chain consumes me.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Donut Disaster
LW1-GMH-YHF

Donut Plains, hit by a series of earthquakes is left scarred and changed.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
This thread is good and is making me play Mario Maker again.

tonberi posted:

P-Switch Paradise by Party Bug 3YT-GK2-9YF
I died a few times grabbing the p switch right after the checkpoint and then had no way to reset, did you mean for the p switch to be coming out of the pipe instead of just on it? Aside from that it was a really fun level with a nice challenge progression and I was really glad that I only had to do a jump off a P-Switch to live when I was a little late to hitting one, and not jumping from p switch to p switch in a sea of spikes like I thought it might be.

Oh no! The P's on pipes should all be respawning, I better fix that. Thanks for the feedback! The plan was to escalate in a fair way and leave some room for mistakes, so glad that worked out.

An in reciprocation, for NJ9-7J4-DSG - The Darkness Wii U :
- Thought the hint in the second room about how to get the key was clever. Still took me awhile to realize it, though.
- Spent a lot of time in the second room also getting murdered. Took me a bit to realize how you marked 'safe spaces', I do sort of wish there was a checkpoint there though.
- Third room didn't feel too puzzley, but I liked the little limbo you have to do at the goal line.

Take the above with a grain of salt, since I'm not a big ghost house man.

Some others:
Donut Disaster (LW1-GMH-YHF) by dog nougat
- I played a second time and felt very cool and good about getting through the Yoshi path, but it seems like there wasn't much of a reward for the trouble, aside from it just being a harder route? Maybe I missed it. But I liked it.

BoB: Dynamic Dams (8SQ68C-HFG) by In Training
- Nice Mario. No real criticism, I liked the concept.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Finished my Bayou submission.

BoB: Colossal Creek
Course ID: QYP-0YG-BTG
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

This one should be fairly simple, good for an early placement in the world. It's a traditional left to right platforming stage that will hopefully be good for speedrunning or versus mode with the only real game play gimmick being the big enemies and multi-layered mushroom platforms. Having the big mushroom be a tiered power-up was an interesting wrinkle since you usually only see it for very specific uses so having it fit into a traditional design where it's not essential was fun to play around with. There's a couple of bonuses you can get with it as well as some moments where it can make life harder for you or you can use it to gently caress over multiplayer opponents.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Party Bug posted:

Donut Disaster (LW1-GMH-YHF) by dog nougat
- I played a second time and felt very cool and good about getting through the Yoshi path, but it seems like there wasn't much of a reward for the trouble, aside from it just being a harder route? Maybe I missed it. But I liked it.

It's basically a slightly faster route for those who want to get the world record on completion time.

Edit: I think it is at least. Didn't time it out.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Whats the count of the different BoB level styles? Im finally getting actual free time this weekend so I can fill in the gaps if any particular style doesnt have many entries