Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mayveena posted:

I definitely disagree with that. You play to win the game. And games that are interactive and thoughtful are much better than multi player solitaire games in my opinion.

I was just joshing, I think it’s unrealistic to say that Root (and other good conflict heavy games) are just “everyone plays perfectly and then the game is just arbitrary whack a mole at the end.” Maybe in a tournament setting, but you just have to look at tournament Catan where no one trades to realize that means nothing to a regular player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well if you thwart me in some way (or I think you have, or did, or are about to, or did in a prior possibly unrelated game) then my turns get much simpler I just throw my stuff against you in the most offhandedly wasteful way I can then stalk off to get more chips whose residue I carelessly get on the cards bing bong strategy so simple :smug:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm having trouble picturing a board state in Root that would keep more than one player a turn away from victory for more than a single round.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

I'm having trouble picturing a board state in Root that would keep more than one player a turn away from victory for more than a single round.

Well, now it’s time to discuss the king making problem. Or maybe not, because

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

It's almost impossible. Like, I guess if you planned your entire turn around somehow making sure the birds go into turmoil, and also the cats had all their buildings out and no one was attacking them (even though they'd get points for it), and the birds were just jerking off in the corner without making any roosts to earn them points (because if there were any roosts they could be attacked and earn some points too), and the alliance had all their forts out and where just sitting around, and also absolutely no one was crafting.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Everyone played dominance cards.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Glazius posted:

Everyone played dominance cards.

Dominance cards never feel worth it to me. I won my last game of Root with one, but I feel like I could have won faster by sticking to points.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Megasabin posted:

From what I've read about An Infamous Traffic, it has pretty similar decision making. It seems to be Cole Wehrle's main area of interest as a designer. I think he's gotten better with it over time, and Pax Pamir solves some of the issues with Root for my group. I'm interested to see him keep evolving the concept over time.

AIT is like that except you're all walking a tightrope at the same time and the second someone pushes too hard everyone collapses

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

Any game with a bash the leader mechanic is inherently bad

I have really enjoyed games where bashing the leader is expensive.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Going to have to say that being a fan of historical wargames/consims with bash the leader is much more enjoyable. The various reasons and mechanics and limitations of how you can bash the leader in successors, for example, is very nice. Or the shared resources among token allies in ADP.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The answer is obviously that GMT needs to release their own woodland critter COIN game, R.O.O.T. (Resistence of Outdoors Terrorism)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The answer is obviously that GMT needs to release their own woodland critter COIN game, R.O.O.T. (Resistence of Outdoors Terrorism)

playing as the bears and laying down terror markers at every picnic site on the board

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay, the first Hunting Season card came out. Time to do the complicated scoring steps.

Bears receive resources for each terrorized campsite.

Park Rangers receive resources for each un-terrorized campsite + 1 per Hunter in the hunting grounds.

Hunters receive resources equal to each Woodland Critter in the hunting grounds. Adjust the overpopulation marker down per token.

Woodland Critters receive resources equal to the positive difference between the "herd" and "overpopulation" marker.

The Park Rangers may spend any number of resources to restore order to terrorized campsites and advertise, flipping support for Park Rangers.

All Bear tokens return to their starting cave and hibernate.

Woodland Critters flip their tokens upside down and redistribute as uniformly as possible.

Park Rangers must be above Government Funding threshold. For each point below the threshold one Park Ranger is furloughed.

Hunters may assign Poaching tokens to each No Hunting location.

The game ends if it's the third Friday in August. Spin around three times.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Wait gently caress guys, how many picnic hampers are left on the map? Oh gently caress, we'll need to recount them all again, sorry about this, it affects my decision.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

wait are the light blue cubes rangers or are those hunters

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Look mitch I'm not sure how many times I told you but the park rangers are winning and if your bears don't loving raid that campsite and get some picnic hampers, there is NOTHING I can do to stop them getting the government funding they need to win, so loving do it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

holy poo poo let's just play azul again I don't know how you keep talking me into this stuff

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Look mitch I'm not sure how many times I told you but the park rangers are winning and if your bears don't loving raid that campsite and get some picnic hampers, there is NOTHING I can do to stop them getting the government funding they need to win, so loving do it

this just sounds like root still

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

al-azad posted:

Okay, the first Hunting Season card came out. Time to do the complicated scoring steps.

Park Rangers receive resources for each un-terrorized campsite + 1 per Hunter in the hunting grounds.

Hunters receive resources equal to each Woodland Critter in the hunting grounds. Adjust the overpopulation marker down per token.

Woodland Critters receive resources equal to the positive difference between the "herd" and "overpopulation" marker.

The Park Rangers may spend any number of resources to restore order to terrorized campsites and advertise, flipping support for Park Rangers.

Woodland Critters flip their tokens upside down and redistribute as uniformly as possible.

Park Rangers must be above Government Funding threshold. For each point below the threshold one Park Ranger is furloughed.

Remember though, if the Endangered Species Act of 1973 Momentum card is out, Eagle Troops can stay in Pakistan for the winter.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 26, 2019

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Hey-Ey-Ey Boo Boo - Place one deactivated bear column or up to three terror markers on picnic sites of your choice

OR

We Were Just Up To A Dee-lightful Stroll Mr. Ranger Smith Sir - Activate up to two deactivated bear columns or place one ranger cube from your supply at any campsite

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

*moves 20 ranger cubes across 5 camp sites*

Oh wait, I dont have enough resources to pay for all those moves, let me try and move em back, I think I remember...

Buck Wildman posted:

wait are the light blue cubes rangers or are those hunters
Rangers. Remember, rangers only provide 1 battle stength in federal reserve areas ONLY (indicated by the vague yellow border), otherwise its 1/2 battle strength. Hunters provide 2 battle strength in good season and terrain (check the "Conditions" chart).

Little triangles are the Viet Cong I think

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 26, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

al-azad posted:

When's the kickstarter launch?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The fifth faction are hippies who are trying to protect the critters, avoid being eaten by bears, undermine the hunters, and grow pot without getting caught by the rangers.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

It's a pretty good game, just know going in Volko's major bias against the Lizard Cult with how they are potrayed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Fistful of Bucks: Coin series volume whatever

designer notes

"Let's get one thing straight: it's disgusting that the onus of preserving the earth has always been in the hands of proletariat despite the exploitation of both human and natural resources being the primary tactic of bourgeoise control. The factions of AFB are not inherently enemies: the true enemy is Consumerism, a looming shadow always on the periphery that keeps the hunter ever hungry, the rangers ill funded, and the woodland critters necessity to encroach in unfamiliar territory against their safety."

BGG thread: 500 posts, most of it admin red text

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Black Bear Down: A Game of Second Amendment Might & Right

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

“A Right to Bear Arms”

Place 1 hunter or 2 Bears in a clearing of your choice.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

u brexit ukip it posted:

Is this with normal rules or using the robots expansion? I want to give this a try after really always playing with 3-5 players.

(Power Grid 2p)

For 2-player games, I don't like the robots. They don't change the fundamental predictability of the 2p game (not a complaint, but most people who don't like 2p find it too predictable so robots won't help), they just make it take a little longer to plan. They can be fun in specifically 3p for variety.

I am recommending the original rules, not the Trust rules added in Deluxe (and put into the Recharged edition). 3 regions, 4 plants each, 8 plants removed, 10 cities to Step 2, all 21 cities to end.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

Well if you thwart me in some way (or I think you have, or did, or are about to, or did in a prior possibly unrelated game) then my turns get much simpler I just throw my stuff against you in the most offhandedly wasteful way I can then stalk off to get more chips whose residue I carelessly get on the cards bing bong strategy so simple :smug:
The first post since Rubitex left that needs a trigger warning.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The one time I've played An Infamous Traffic we destabilized China so much they kicked us out before we sold a single packet of opium. This was down entirely to my dog in the manger attitude after being kicked out of the supply chain. In fairness to me, my bad attitude is well known, and they should have factored that in.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
e: nevermind

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Played Quacks of Quedlighberg the other night for the first time. Found it cute but frustrating at times. The catch-up mechanic seems a litle generous too but I think without overhauling the rest of the game it's required.

Unsure how it won the SDJ but for a beer and pretzels game you could do worse I guess.

Also it's a slight nitpick but I think it's a game that would have benefited more from having wooden discs with stickered symbols on them than the cardboard bits.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

FulsomFrank posted:

Also it's a slight nitpick but I think it's a game that would have benefited more from having wooden discs with stickered symbols on them than the cardboard bits.

I bought the BoardGameGeek store's GeekUp bits for my copy. They're expensive, but sooooo nice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Self quoting for an amazon sale.

canyoneer posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/promotion/A1PK55SYS4YCFT

Amazon has a broad category Save $10 when you spend $50 for games and toys. Most of the prices are pretty normal, but the $10 off with bundling makes it a good deal.
Some notables include:
Azul for $23.49
Codenames for $12.99
Codenames Pictures for $13.99
7 Wonders for $41.88
7 Wonders: Duel for $26.99
Hive for $24.95
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong for $29.99
Arkham Horror Card Game for $35.95
Onitama for $17.99
A bunch of the Exit one-shot escape room games for $10-12/ea
Race for the Galaxy for $23.99
Galaxy Trucker $45.48

Also some Mansions of Madness 2e expansions, Mysterium expansion, Cosmic Encounters,

edit:
I recall that Hive and Race for the Galaxy are well regarded here. Think I might get those

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

canyoneer posted:

Azul for $23.49
Codenames for $12.99
7 Wonders: Duel for $26.99
Hive for $24.95
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong for $29.99
Onitama for $17.99
Race for the Galaxy for $23.99
Galaxy Trucker $45.48

all of those are pretty highly recommended here and yeah it's a good deal with the $10 off

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Carnival of Monsters is getting popular at my local board gaming club, and I got roped into a game yesterday. If you don't know, it's Richard Garfield's latest game, this time an excuse to collaborate with some classic Magic artists. It borrows the mana mechanic from Magic and puts it into a very basic points drafting game. You pass around hands of cards containing monsters that will score points, Lands necessary to play those monsters, and then an assortment of other not very important cards. There are endgame scoring cards, but most of those will score at most 7 points if you meet a specific condition, when most monsters will score between 6 and 15. Because you keep lands from round to round, monsters effectively get cheaper and cheaper to play, while those endgame scoring cards will require playing about 7 cards across the whole game to get their full point value.

The obvious best way of winning the game, then, is by playing lands to collect bigger and bigger monsters, so that means that each time you draft a hand your only worthwhile choices are taking a land or taking a monster that you have the lands to play. For some reason, none of the other people I played with did that, because I ended up winning by a country mile on my first play against people that had played several times before. I wouldn't call it a bad game, but I have no idea why people in the club like it so much. It's definitely inferior to Sushi Go, a drafting game of less complexity and greater depth.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hello boardgaming thread! I apologize I have not posted for a while, I have been playing a lot of Warhammer 40k and D&D recently and I don't think those count as a board games. But I still play a game whenever I can, and I keep an eye out for new boardgames. Like yesterday for example! I was at Value Village the other day and I scoped out the board games first (as I always do). Its pretty rare to find anything good, its mostly just Monopolies, Trivial Pursuit, Candyland, Backgammon, etc. But at least once a month I find a real gem. I found Ticket to Ride for $5 once, and a couple really nerdy Avalon Hill games for a similar price. This time I scanned through the shelves and didn't see much. I was half thinking about picking up a copy of Mastermind or Triominos (these are pretty common), but once I get to the bottom shelf I spy this :haw:

Star Fleet Battles! This is the nerdiest of nerd games. Its a very detailed simulation of ship vs ship combat in the OG Star Trek universe (the game is from 1985). I checked the box before buying it, and all of the chits are present and accounted for (not that it would have stopped me from buying it). The previous owner even went to the trouble of making special labeled baggies for them! And Value Village priced it at $3.99, like the most rubbish of puzzles :psyduck: For context a busted up Monopoly set goes for $5.99. After looking into it I found this was an expansion for a much larger game, and requires Star Fleet Battles Volume 1&2 to be playable. Lucky for me they are available for print&play at $15!
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/151031/Star-Fleet-Battles-Commanders-Edition-Volume-I-Revision-1?cPath=20527
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/152661/Star-Fleet-Battles-Commanders-Edition-Volume-II?cPath=20527

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 28, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SFB is a pretty ridiculous game, but fun once you get going. Not quite sure how the p&p works for the base game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

Not quite sure how the p&p works for the base game.

There is a scan of the chit board included with the DrivethroughRPG PDF. To make the chits I plan on printing it out and gluing it to some cardboard, then cutting them out with an xacto knife. Shouldn't be too hard, the Volume 3 box is pretty roomy I could likely fit all three sets in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

rchandra posted:

(Power Grid 2p)

For 2-player games, I don't like the robots. They don't change the fundamental predictability of the 2p game (not a complaint, but most people who don't like 2p find it too predictable so robots won't help), they just make it take a little longer to plan. They can be fun in specifically 3p for variety.

I am recommending the original rules, not the Trust rules added in Deluxe (and put into the Recharged edition). 3 regions, 4 plants each, 8 plants removed, 10 cities to Step 2, all 21 cities to end.

Thanks for this, will give it a go sometime. Got the original game and all expansion boards. There is a new one being released for Spiel as well, Middle east and South Africa.