Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

French Canadian posted:

That thing is awesome. What are you going to do with it?

Also, a question for those of you who have imported and resold a Japanese import: What are the odds of at least breaking even?

I am still unable to let go of the notion of importing an RV. I saw one with about 25,000km, for and the price is maybe a tad high, but just looking around at various import RV resellers, they seem to charge 50% above what I speculate they imported it for. This isn't from the auction section of JCD but rather their wholesale listings, hence how I know what the price is.

So, again, is breaking even a thing?

Hey man, I'd be glad to help or give advice but you are not ready to bid or buy from Japan yet. I am here to have fun and make money. There is absolutely no way any of us or anyone else on earth can tell you if you are going to break even, make money or lose your rear end. I could buy 100 cars right now for too much that would bankrupt me. I have also made over $10k on one car profit. There are 1,000 variables and it is certainly not a simple proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
1984 Honda Acty 4WD port pics

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well French Canadien if you ever wanted a camper and with little downside to losing money here you go. You will need an inspection as I have no clue what the back is like.

2.4 Toyota Diesel 4WD manual. I would be buying this tonight if I could. Expect to pay a million. But its worth it.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-2LB8ZHcO9cuO7Pj.htm

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

French Canadian posted:

That thing is awesome. What are you going to do with it?

Also, a question for those of you who have imported and resold a Japanese import: What are the odds of at least breaking even?

I am still unable to let go of the notion of importing an RV. I saw one with about 25,000km, for and the price is maybe a tad high. This isn't from the auction section of JCD but rather their wholesale listings, hence how I know what the price is. But just looking around at various import RV resellers, they seem to charge 50% above what I speculate they imported it for.

So, without setting my expectations too high, is breaking even a thing?

As I do this for business, yes breaking even is a thing. If you are going RV route though diesel 4x4 camper vans are what sells. Now that we are settled in a pattern we always make money on whatever we import. Part of that though is knowing when to buy and when to walk.

Buying off a lot means you are paying more up front but it doesn't mean you won't sell it for more either. One of our best buys was the black Delica we bought off a dealer lot. What made it sellable though was low mileage and the 5 speed manual along with it being the top trim Super Exceed. It totally depends and you might have to wait for a while to sell whatever it is you get, just how it is.

IN other news turns out that they DON'T have those rad OEM decals available, I was just the first person to ask in a long while so now it shows them as unavailable :v:
This might mean now that I'm going to instead just clean it up and sell it as-is rather than repainting it and doing up the decals.

everdave posted:

Well French Canadien if you ever wanted a camper and with little downside to losing money here you go. You will need an inspection as I have no clue what the back is like.

2.4 Toyota Diesel 4WD manual. I would be buying this tonight if I could. Expect to pay a million. But its worth it.

This thing is going to be glacially slow and I mean that without any irony what so ever. The same 2.4 liter deisel engine that's in our Prado, but non turbo and hauling far more weight. Suppose this ties into the other thing about camper van reselling, the engine choices to matter to a lot of people. The 2.4 diesels are fine in Prados and Hiluxes but less so the heavier the truck gets, and I wouldn't even bother with a non-turbo. The 2.8 3L (aka 3 point slow and yeah it is named 3L but is 2.8 liter) that is in Hilux pickups and HiAces is extremely slow as they are non-turbo. I'm curious what your firetruck is like everdave as that has a y series gasoline engine which wasn't the fastest thing in the LiteAce van of ours, now it's in a body on frame large quad cab truck.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 27, 2019

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

everdave posted:

Hey man, I'd be glad to help or give advice but you are not ready to bid or buy from Japan yet. I am here to have fun and make money. There is absolutely no way any of us or anyone else on earth can tell you if you are going to break even, make money or lose your rear end. I could buy 100 cars right now for too much that would bankrupt me. I have also made over $10k on one car profit. There are 1,000 variables and it is certainly not a simple proposition.

I am totally okay with this answer. It is honestly very helpful!

everdave posted:

drat, I had been furiously browsing the auction lists over the past few days and never saw this. I'll heavily consider it...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

French Canadian posted:

drat, I had been furiously browsing the auction lists over the past few days and never saw this. I'll heavily consider it...

That is because it just came up. Low miles diesel 4wd manual. Get an inspection if possible. Be prepared to pay. Looks killer to me.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

everdave posted:

That is because it just came up. Low miles diesel 4wd manual. Get an inspection if possible. Be prepared to pay. Looks killer to me.

There are no interior photos...so as you said a paid inspection is necessary, right? I couldn't expect to get additional interior/exterior photos some other way?

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 27, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You aren't getting any more pics, if inspector goes they can say hey looks like all the switches work and their isn't poop smeared all over the walls but that is about it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
There might be more pictures available, it's a USS auction. Ask Yoshi and see.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

KakerMix posted:

There might be more pictures available, it's a USS auction. Ask Yoshi and see.

Thanks, I might ask. I am trying to avoid bothering Yoshi too much until I actually intend to make a bid.

With all the talk about non-turbo diesels like that Hiace, is anyone up to speed on whether or not all Mitsu Canters (Fusos) came with turbos?

There's a sweet list here...but I am trying to pinpoint which diesel the Canter in the link has. It's 2800cc at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mitsubishi_Fuso_engines#Diesel_engines

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 27, 2019

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I will have to come back to this thread in 4 years when we can import the Mitsuoka Orochi into Canada:

or even better would be the Mitsuoka ROCK STAR :megadeath: :rock:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

Thanks, I might ask. I am trying to avoid bothering Yoshi too much until I actually intend to make a bid.

With all the talk about non-turbo diesels like that Hiace, is anyone up to speed on whether or not all Mitsu Canters (Fusos) came with turbos?

There's a sweet list here...but I am trying to pinpoint which diesel the Canter in the link has. It's 2800cc at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mitsubishi_Fuso_engines#Diesel_engines

I just punch in the chassis ID shown on the sheet into that and see if I can work out what engine is in whatever specific vehicle.

This is on that HiAce camper we're talking about, Toyota is cool because they are always upfront about the engine. Then I'll go see what that engine is, usually wikipedia is a good place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_L_engine

Since this one is a 2L that means it's the normal non-turbo one, otherwise it would be the 2L-T.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That troop transport type setup in that fire truck is pretty cool. Is it set up to be an ambulance you think?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tyro posted:

That troop transport type setup in that fire truck is pretty cool. Is it set up to be an ambulance you think?

I don’t think so, probably just transport for firefighters. I’ve seen them with sliders in the middle And this isn’t Seth up like that, I assume just a troop carrier.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I don’t think so, probably just transport for firefighters. I’ve seen them with sliders in the middle And this isn’t Seth up like that, I assume just a troop carrier.

Looks like people are meant to sit on the left there, looking at the back. That square tray thing in the floor would be where the huge pump would be mounted, the pumps are almost always removed from these trucks and installed on whatever new truck the department gets. Even the tiny kei fire trucks have pumps in the back, can't imagine this one wouldn't as well. There would normally be that basket-ended tube thing and all the other hoses hanging on the right, what with the hooks and things. It's rad you have the lights and sirens though since those are pretty often taken off too. If I were to get any firetruck it would be like yours, a normal bed that could actually be used in a real way. The ones with the weird flat rear end and half-cut left rear fenders are just too modified, like the fire truck Land Cruisers.

Received the Rugger today

Runs like a champ, AC works (though is weak), drives straight and true, accelerates cleanly, etc etc. Need a new top, or really have a new top made for it, front seats taken care of, new steering wheel. Otherwise it's just dirty, really. There is a stack of maintenance history in the glove box, though no owner's manuals.
Gotta see if I can find a front 'DAIHATSU' badge too.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That’s the “old” Rugger right? Sweet. Does windshield fold down?

Yeah when I was looking at fire trucks I wanted one with a pickup truck like bed, not one loaded with gear. Harder to find one like this, I’m super stoked about the one I got.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

everdave posted:

That's awesome. Good find, I'm interested in seeing more photos eventually!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

KakerMix posted:

I just punch in the chassis ID shown on the sheet into that and see if I can work out what engine is in whatever specific vehicle.

This is on that HiAce camper we're talking about, Toyota is cool because they are always upfront about the engine. Then I'll go see what that engine is, usually wikipedia is a good place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_L_engine

Since this one is a 2L that means it's the normal non-turbo one, otherwise it would be the 2L-T.

Well, I've learned a lot about 2Ls, and they do sound gutless. I see there are turbo kits for it but it's a $$$ endeavor.

I did bid, quite a bit on the low side, but didn't win. That camper wound up going for around $8500. I presume that person got a pretty stellar deal.

Edit: Further question on chassis ID lookups. I am trying to do just that with this vehicle (more as practice...) but it's not working out.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-2LukAbsd9RW7RIe.htm

I attribute it to the illegible handwritten text. But I might be missing something.

Also, Yoshi was super helpful to predict what engine was in another RV (that Mitsu Canter) because he knows the predicted power output of those sorts of engines when they are turbo or non-turbo, and he could better search for its likely engine than I could (given they aren't written about on the internet in english text too much I think).

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 28, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hot drat Dave that fire hiace is awesome. Truly looks factory new.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

MustardFacial posted:

or even better would be the Mitsuoka ROCK STAR :megadeath: :rock:

This looks like a Miata trying to cosplay as a Stingray.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

This looks like a Miata trying to cosplay as a Stingray.

It is exactly that? I think the Orochi is Mitsuoka's only all-new car. IIRC, they made their name with Super7 replicas. Bunches of other stuff now: a kind of modern Wolseley in the Galue, SSK replicas(?), the aforementioned Orochi lite-supercar, etc.

It's weird to think how many companies have made Super7s. Hell, I even had a buddy in Alabama who worked assembling them from kits and junked RWD Corollas. Even with about 100 horses, they could be terrifying (ly fun).

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros
Look at this pimpin Delcia https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-bubimPdGhi2tmh0.htm too bad its a 1996.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've been lurking this thread for a bit and have been casually browsing auctions. I have a craving for a delica even though I don't own any vehicle at all right now and don't need one. Why do I have this innate desire for a weird van

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PokeJoe posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a bit and have been casually browsing auctions. I have a craving for a delica even though I don't own any vehicle at all right now and don't need one. Why do I have this innate desire for a weird van

Because they are cool as hell and very different from what is normally seen in USA.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PokeJoe posted:

Because you don't choose the van life, the van life chooses you.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

No need for a ship to deliver my Acty :smuggo:

In other news, there is a 2-liter non-turbo non-EFI diesel RV with my name on it, methinks

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-geRYxf8Mxsb0nYj.htm

And here everyone was saying that the Hiace 2L was glacial...

But I guess you can add a turbo if you're not trying to overdo it: https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/t/toyota-2c-diesel-turbo-install/247026/60

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 29, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

French Canadian posted:

And here everyone was saying that the Hiace 2L was glacial...

But I guess you can add a turbo if you're not trying to overdo it: https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/t/toyota-2c-diesel-turbo-install/247026/60

I haven't seen this particular Lite Ace set up, interesting. It's a 4, looks pretty tidy, as you probably see it is a column shift. Worth a look.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

everdave posted:

I haven't seen this particular Lite Ace set up, interesting. It's a 4, looks pretty tidy, as you probably see it is a column shift. Worth a look.

edit: How can you tell it's a column shift?

I'm gonna give it a go, but again, I'm banking on someone not paying attention so that my low offer makes it thru...

What is hard to tell is exactly how the sleeping arrangement works.

I think that even with the over-cab arrangement, it's more likely the dining table below folds into a larger bed. And the over-cab is more for one person or just holding stuff (despite there being windows/curtains).

I may order an inspection, just to see if they can somehow tell me that info. It would help in the long run anyway (even if I don't attempt to win the bid).

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 29, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Under engine equipment where it says 2000cc you see the C5? That means column shift. if it said CA would be column automatic. F5 would be floor shift manual. FA would be floor shift auto.

If you are even considering bidding on this you should get an inspection. Listen I am the king of buying cars without inspections but if you aren't going to bid to win I don't see the point. I could see winning this one for 450-650 on the low end.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

everdave posted:

Under engine equipment where it says 2000cc you see the C5? That means column shift. if it said CA would be column automatic. F5 would be floor shift manual. FA would be floor shift auto.

If you are even considering bidding on this you should get an inspection. Listen I am the king of buying cars without inspections but if you aren't going to bid to win I don't see the point. I could see winning this one for 450-650 on the low end.

Thanks.

Yes, I just emailed Yoshi to ask for preinspection photos of the interior (which is like $40) and also inspection (which is some other cost).

And in the end I did ask for a bid of 400,000 if it pans out inspection-wise.

Edit: As far as import fees go, I am trying to understand if I should expect a 25% or 2.5% import fee. I guess it's a truck? So that means 25%? That's pretty steep :/ I did email Yoshi to ask if he knows what to expect.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 29, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Suzuki Cara? AZ-1 in Suzuki form? This is new to me.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-tB8UuZzYCIQj6Fg.htm

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I could see winning this one for 450-650 on the low end.

This is going to probably be a 8k USD sell if not more. It's a grade 4, manual (all LiteAce trucks of this vintage are column shift), diesel (all ~75 HP and 90~ foot pounds of torque) and 4WD, camper, AND it only has 44,500 km on it. This is the most #vanlife there is and I very much doubt this is going to go unnoticed.

French Canadian posted:

Thanks.

Yes, I just emailed Yoshi to ask for preinspection photos of the interior (which is like $40) and also inspection (which is some other cost).

And in the end I did ask for a bid of 400,000 if it pans out inspection-wise.

Edit: As far as import fees go, I am trying to understand if I should expect a 25% or 2.5% import fee. I guess it's a truck? So that means 25%? That's pretty steep :/ I did email Yoshi to ask if he knows what to expect.

Wish you luck on your bid but don't be too disheartened if you don't win. Also understand that what you bid when you win is never what you pay, you will always typically pay less, sometimes much, sometimes little. Rarely will you pay what your bid is.
As for the taxes, that is something your import broker takes care of. Yes it is a 'truck' but it is obviously not a commercial vehicle so will be subject to the 2.5%. This isn't set in stone, this is decided when it comes to the USA. If it was an actual LiteAce truck then yes, it would be 25% but it isn't, it's a camper. If it was a single cab Hilux, 25%. Quad cab hilux? 2.5%. Seating for 4 or more is the real deciding factor.

everdave posted:

Suzuki Cara? AZ-1 in Suzuki form? This is new to me.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-tB8UuZzYCIQj6Fg.htm

Suzuki only had something like 500 of them so Caras always go for $Texas. This one has been repainted because its missing it's Suzuki 'S' on the hood, but its also a grade R. Hmm....
They are identical to AZ-1s besides badging and they all came with foglights. This bumper looks aftermarket though.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Wish you luck on your bid but don't be too disheartened if you don't win.

It's understandable. I am happy that there seems to be at least one new #vanlife opportunity every day or so. Plus, as each new year unlocks, there are just more and more options.

Again with the impossible questions, but when all is said and done on the import side, what would I expect to pay on top of the bidding price?

$2000?

$500?

I know there's the JCD fee of $1k. And then maybe $1k in Japan fees? And another $1k on the US side?

Let's not factor in cross-country US shipping nor DMV fees or simple things like that.

I'm learning that my "budget" is not exactly that, in the scheme of things.

KakerMix posted:

Also understand that what you bid when you win is never what you pay, you will always typically pay less, sometimes much, sometimes little.

Why is this? And how much more or less have you seen?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just add $3k in your head to anything you win.

If you bid a million and the high bid is just 500 then you win for 500.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I live in Seattle, how much of a savings do I really get if I don't have to do overland shipping and can pick it up at the Port myself?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

It's understandable. I am happy that there seems to be at least one new #vanlife opportunity every day or so. Plus, as each new year unlocks, there are just more and more options.

Again with the impossible questions, but when all is said and done on the import side, what would I expect to pay on top of the bidding price?

$2000?

$500?

I know there's the JCD fee of $1k. And then maybe $1k in Japan fees? And another $1k on the US side?

Let's not factor in cross-country US shipping nor DMV fees or simple things like that.

I'm learning that my "budget" is not exactly that, in the scheme of things.

Why is this? And how much more or less have you seen?

Like everdave says, add 3k on top of whatever your bid price is for a good idea of what it will actually be. Land shipping in the USA is another factor, though I live 6~ hours away from port.

As for why you pay less than your bid, that's just how it works. If there is a reserve you pay some % over it if you are to only one to bid beyond the reserve. Or if you bid 50,000 and the next highest bids 25,000 and the reserve is only 10,000 then you'd only pay 25,000 plus the %, so 25,xxx rather than your bid of 50,000.

I've paid many thousands less on vehicles, and I've paid my actual bid. Just depends on a bunch of stuff you can't predict since each auction is unique.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

I live in Seattle, how much of a savings do I really get if I don't have to do overland shipping and can pick it up at the Port myself?

Just from a quick generic car shipping quote I did for my own purposes, it looks like $1000-2000.

edit:

More beginner questions. The "grade" of DX in this description has nothing to do with condition I assume?

And then down in the actual auction sheet, the red-circled "C" is the interior grade right? Much like how something 3 or below might be iffy, is something C-level in the iffy zone? I know...it's hard to be specific, but in a general sense?

Also this was in another import thread from a while ago, and I hadn't seen it before...

https://vimeo.com/105157390

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 29, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
On a vehicle rated an overall 4, I wouldn't worry about a C.

I only really worry about it if it's a D or below. Especially if you're getting an inspection, that will be a much more accurate reading of interior condition than the rating on the sheet.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PokeJoe posted:

As far as I can tell you could get it sent to Tacoma, so you'd have to get it up here, but that's much less challenging than across the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Based on the op, if I wanted to fly out to Tacoma and pick up a vehicle and drive home (outside of Washington), that wouldn't be possible because it's not registered/titled/etc? Or is there some grace period, or it can be done remotely by way of mobile inspection?