Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mike N Eich posted:

I have to say that I can't help but believe there was some big shifts that occurred in what they think they were doing with the universe from TFA to TLJ - by the end of TFA it doesn't at all feel like the First Order has dominated the galaxy and the New Republic is basically completely dead. It feels like, at worst, there is some element of parity. The seat of the New Republic is destroyed but the First Order's main base is also destroyed and they're on the run. But then we smashcut to TLJ and the Resistance is already dead and on a desperate escape mission.

There's a heap of shifts like this between TFA and TLJ. Off the top of my head...

1. Poe's astonishment at seeing a fully armed and operational Star Destroyer, to Poe talking about how he's seen First Order dreadnaughts in action before.

2. The conflict between the 'factions' of the First Order, where the mystic Snoke is in charge, Ren is his prized attack hound, but the 'secular' bulk of the Order, as represented by Hux, thinks the mystical poo poo is a bit of a joke.

3. Snoke being nonplussed (in the informal sense of the word, DAD) by Ren losing to Rey and merely stating that he'll just need to finish his training to apoplectic rage at Ren being beaten by a girl who had never handled a lightsaber before.

4. Similar to the above, Ren going from someone who probably had never actually engaged in serious combat with a lightsaber before, to someone who can take on Snoke's guards practically by himself.

5. Ren going from someone who got kicked out of Luke's Jedi school and came back with the Knights of Ren and a red lightsaber to someone defending himself from Luke's insanity.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nonplussed means confused btw. I know that’s weird but it’s so

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
So according to the Battlefront 2 DLC the first order has enough ships to conquer every system in the known galaxies. WTF?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

So according to the Battlefront 2 DLC the first order has enough ships to conquer every system in the known galaxies. WTF?

Yes. Nobody gives a poo poo about scale or scope of conflict or what anything means or what repercussions are or literally anything except slavish devotion to the past.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Perhaps the scheme is to deliberately ratchet things up to transformers level stupidity to weed out out all the brain havers now. That way the confirmed rubes who remain can be exploited still more ruthlessly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

So did the New Republic just not do any espionage in the 35 years since Endor or what

Kind of hard to hide a bunch of ships like that

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If they had slipped a line in about how the New Republic was some highly limited "Articles of Confederation" type government that barely had any authority or resources it would have explained so much.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No Mods No Masters posted:

Perhaps the scheme is to deliberately ratchet things up to transformers level stupidity to weed out out all the brain havers now. That way the confirmed rubes who remain can be exploited still more ruthlessly

That started in 1999.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Disney and co were actually precient about their politics but they chose not to explain any of it in the movies.

they have the new republic facing the threat of rising fascism which is actively ignored due to a combination of complicit senators and desire to maintain galactic "decorum" even as the enemy exploits that weakness to build business ties and fuckin entire planets up in the ungoverned space beyond the Republic. they should have explained that more in the movies instead of leaving it to the comics and books and tv shows

meanwhile the only ones standing up to them are the resistance fighters.

its the age of antifa

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The prequels were way too boring to achieve transformers level stupidity. Only JJ is fit to deliver us to a final brain death

edit: With an assist from the screenwriter of batman v superman and justice league, just to seal the deal

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 28, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I wish we could live in a timeline where Luke stabbed Kylo Ren in the head with his own lightsaber and then ripped Snoke's face off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jerkface posted:

Disney and co were actually precient about their politics but they chose not to explain any of it in the movies.

they have the new republic facing the threat of rising fascism which is actively ignored due to a combination of complicit senators and desire to maintain galactic "decorum" even as the enemy exploits that weakness to build business ties and fuckin entire planets up in the ungoverned space beyond the Republic. they should have explained that more in the movies instead of leaving it to the comics and books and tv shows

meanwhile the only ones standing up to them are the resistance fighters.

its the age of antifa
Yeah, when you read the Wookiepedia article for 'Resistance' that is basically what it is

It's just incredibly strange that you have a group already called the 'Resistance' when at their founding they are basically a paramilitary arm of the ruling galactic government

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Are they going to come up with a reason for this conflict in the third and final movie in the trilogy?

The FO's motivation seems to be "We are the Empire, just not as competent" and the Republic/Resistance/Rebels are "We don't like the FO".

It's all so hollow. The good guys are only "good" in that they oppose the bad guys, who are "bad" because they have jacked the aesthetic of the previous bad guys in the series. Any reasons that do exist for this conflict rely on the audience remembering the OT and the conflict there, the ST adds nothing, just coasting on past glories.

I have never seen a story not even bother to give a reason for why the sides are opposing each other, even basic fairy stories for children manage it, but they didn't even try here.

Imagine the events of the movies were exactly the same but the FO had a different look and equipment, so no stormtroopers, star destroyers, tie fighters etc. The audience would be totally lost. 100% of their character comes from their appearance, so you know they're just the empire again, there is nothing else there. So baffling and lazy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The bad guys do lots of bad stuff on the screen. They are pretty bad.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
But why are they doing it? The bads guys do bad things because they are bad is not an answer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kylo has his reasons that are explained and Snoke is pretty straight forward. What are you confused about. They want to rule the universe as evil Sith Lords.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
That's just the empire again. I have seen those movies. If you're saying the answer is that it's the bad guys from last time back again, well, that's really boring isn't it? That's why they have the empires look, it's doing all the work. If they had new designs people would be bound to ask questions about where they are coming from.

And I know that just because Nazis lost once it doesn't mean they are gone for all time. Look at the resurgence in fascism in our world, but that just didn't spring from nowhere. There are reasons why dipshits think being Nazis again is cool and good, they didn't just pop up from out of nowhere, there are causes.

This is what I'm asking the ST to do, but all it's done is say "Remember the empire? Its those guys again." and I just don't give a poo poo.

I'm asking for the characters in the movies I watch to have actual character, that's all.

I wouldn't be satisfied with a story where a guy shows up dressed in black, kicks a puppy and then they never bother doing anything else to explain why he is the bad guy. It's barely even one dimensional and that's just one of the problems with these movies.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
well we have to remember we're about to 'find out' snoke was a Palpatine puppet so it's not surprised his org aped the empires equipment and aesthetic entirely

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think they did a decent job with Ren as the audience goes back and forth on him and then he ends up Sithing it up in the end of TLJ

Let’s see what happens in the next one ha. It may be terrible.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

euphronius posted:

Kylo has his reasons that are explained and Snoke is pretty straight forward. What are you confused about. They want to rule the universe as evil Sith Lords.

Snoke is straight forward but Kylo, like, I don't know. He wants to...be as powerful as Darth Vader going by Force Awakens? His main goal is to find Luke Skywalker. By the end of Last Jedi Luke is dead, the resistance is basically crushed, why does he even give a poo poo about staying with the First Order or what they do or wiping out the rest of the resistance? Like I know after he kills Snoke they talk a little bit about what to do afterwards but still, it's like he just is the bad guy because he's the bad guy and I know it's Star Wars light side/dark side/whatever but I do think his motivations now are kind of vague.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

The prequels were way too boring to achieve transformers level stupidity.

Michael Bay trilogy when

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Michael Bay podrace movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would unironically watch Days of Thunder or equivalent film remade entirely about pod racing.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

by the end of TLJ kylo has declared that his goal is that he wants an end to the endless cycle of jedis and sith causing more star wars

coincidentally that's also the point where he's labeled as unambiguously the villain, for wanting to take away your right to buy newer star wars toys from now until eternity

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
'i want an end to all violence, by becoming the supreme ruler of the entire galaxy forever' is the same thing the sith wanted, so kylo ren saying that is just reinforcing that he's a sith in all but name (it's also exactly what his grandfather wanted for padme back when he was a dipshit human instead of a cool robot)

tlj seemingly accidentally falls backwards into proving a point about how saying you believe in something has absolutely nothing to do with the validity of your actions, between that and the good guys calling themselves a resistance but not actually doing any resisting, just symbolic, ultimately harmful gestures

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

well yes they have to make him Evil And Crazy And Hypocritical because otherwise the audience would go 'oh, he kinda has a point doesn't he'

same dealio with killmonger in black panther except less offensive because it's not bringing in real life poo poo, just defending the eternal status quo from any who would want anything new or different than 'blue guys good, red guys bad'

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FlamingLiberal posted:

So did the New Republic just not do any espionage in the 35 years since Endor or what

Kind of hard to hide a bunch of ships like that

They relied primarily on the Bothans, who sadly never recovered from their losses after acquiring the intel on the second Death Star

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
JJ snapped his fingers, and Councilor Fey'lya and his people diminished and disappeared like dust in the wind, or some Infinity War-like poo poo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kreia was right

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Uncle Wemus posted:

Michael Bay trilogy when

I'm trying to think of a downside of bringing in Michael Bay...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

euphronius posted:

Kylo has his reasons that are explained and Snoke is pretty straight forward.

So what are their reasons?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did you stop reading after that exact line.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

they're not Sith, though

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
At this point what does Sith even mean?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

they're not Sith, though

I really wonder what movie people watch sometimes. Kylo Ren literally worships on front of Sith relics, refers to himself as Sith. Etc etc. snoke even uses lightening. The movie is telling you these dudes are Sith. They act 100% like Sith.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

There's an interiority to Anakin which is developed over the course of the prequels - he loves Padme and his mother, fears losing them, is frustrated by the laws and rules of the Republic and Jedi, etc. etc. Even Darth Maul gets a line about revenge.

Kylo starts off being tempted by Snoke - how? by what? - and Snoke starts off wanting to destroy the Republic and restore the Empire - why? for what benefit? The Rashomon stuff with Luke comes after that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

when does kylo ren call himself a sith? when does snoke? i mean if both abrams and wookieepedia are saying he's not a sith then maybe one shouldn't start with 'i really wonder what movie people watch sometimes.' there are two sith: sidious and vader. they both die. the sith are just one type of dark side force people. the issue with the sequels is that snoke and ren are a different sect entirely, yet also are just sith 2.0.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 28, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kylo refers to himself and Snoke as Sith in tlj

Unless you think he means Rey and Luke are Sith and he and Snoke are Jedi which ... is probably not what he meant.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they're poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s not the only evidence they were Sith of course. There is also the fact that they were evil space force wizards obsessed with taking over the universe.