Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

By popular demand posted:

Israel really loves Iranian pistachios though, love'em so much we get Turkey to buy and than rebrand them so we don't feel like we're doing business with iran.

lol where can i read about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

2009https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3691251,00.html
2016 https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-04-01/israelis-still-cant-get-iranian-pistachios-or-can-they

I'll have to remember to ask Yaron Hamami (second artical) how things have changed since 2016 next time I'm at the market.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 5, 2019

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Ehud Barak returns with a new party.
Because what we need is to split the "just not Bibi" votes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh goddamn it, some people just can't take a hint.
Not a single person is calling for another Barak government.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm not sure if people here are following this, but tension among the Ethiopian community has been simmering for a while, especially after widespread demonstrations a few months back, and a recent killing of a teenager by a police officer has resulted in outright rioting. Major roads were blocked off. This is just the latest where a few of them are turning over a parked police car:

https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/1146203570187972608

Others flipping over a police car with cops in it:

https://twitter.com/newsisrael13/status/1146156301543706626

Burning cars in many locations, including Tel Aviv:

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1146143155554803713

Media is overall sympathetic to them, although some right-wingers are blaming a left-wing plot.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

There is a strong undercurrent of racial tension that usually goes unnoticed and unacknowledged among the non-black majority in israeli society, Just in case you thought discrimination is limited to israeli-arab relations.

It was only a matter of time.
If the Rodney King riots and the societal response since are any indication things are not going to get fixed anytime soon.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

There is a strong undercurrent of racial tension that usually goes unnoticed and unacknowledged among the non-black majority in israeli society, Just in case you thought discrimination is limited to israeli-arab relations.

It was only a matter of time.
If the Rodney King riots and the societal response since are any indication things are not going to get fixed anytime soon.

I don't know, last time there was widespread protest among the Arab population, in October 2000, police responded with live ammunition and 13 civilians were killed, 3 on the first day. Reporting and official government response were also way less sympathetic.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

that's loving bad rear end right there :aaa:

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

'cept this is not America, even if Israeli society likes them.
If you ask me*, the only thing that will solve this is time - when the current generation was born in Israel, and their parents were either born here or immigrated when they were young, . We are still in the latter gen, so I think it'll be done around when my kids will enlist.
Until then, we will have problems, and we will need to adress them. This is to be expected, sadly.

...What isn't to be expected, however, is Bibi using them as a bargaining chip.

*I'm not Beta Israel, or educated on the matter -so don't ask me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No. Time wont fix this. Like every other time in all of history, people fighting for acceptance and their rights will. No oppressed group of people have ever gained much without organization and direct action.
But, Since Ethiopian Jews/Beta Israel are full citizens of Israel with full rights rather than an imprisoned underclass of others the state has carte blanche to oppress, this will go better for them.

I would have posted some allegory about if Palestinians did the same and flipped and torched a police car but most would only have military APCs to try and flip.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gun Jam posted:

I think it'll be done around when my kids will enlist.

Don't let your kids enlist.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

MonsieurChoc posted:

Don't let your kids enlist.

:agreed:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
good news everyone, our moon launch may have ended in disaster but they think the tardigrades may have survived

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
tardigrades from the holy land are living on the moon

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Please tell me that tardigrades at least can share the land peacefully between them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Whether the tardigrades survived is unknown—but Spivack said if they did, there is no risk of the creatures taking over the Moon as they would need to be revived by future humans that may find them.

aww man

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

That's just what Mission Control tells the astronauts in the first act, by the end of the movie everyone gets eaten by ultra intelligent space-water-bears.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/Ilhan/status/1162059109132374017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The thugs who are running Israel are heavy handed and pretty ignorant about how this is going to make them look and just how their fellating Trump makes them look. We can only hope they see consequences from it down the line.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mcmagic posted:

The thugs who are running Israel are heavy handed and pretty ignorant about how this is going to make them look and just how their fellating Trump makes them look. We can only hope they see consequences from it down the line.
Nothing will happen to them, let’s be honest here. Even when Obama was in office his administration refused to take any concrete action against Israel violating international law, except at the very last minute when Obama was a lame duck

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nothing will happen to them, let’s be honest here. Even when Obama was in office his administration refused to take any concrete action against Israel violating international law, except at the very last minute when Obama was a lame duck

I think their Trump worship won't rub off any time soon and the next D administration will remember.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mcmagic posted:

I think their Trump worship won't rub off any time soon and the next D administration will remember.

why do you think Joe Biden is suddenly going to get hard on israel

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mcmagic posted:

It’s possible, but then I look how the DNC has handled Ilhan Omar and I’m not confident

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Is this better or worse than the way we treat Arab members of the Knesset (ie repeatedly trying to get them jailed)?

But yeah, both are terrible and I can only hope that this current emboldening will have some comeuppance, rather than Bibi getting 10 extra mandates in the coming elections because we just love racism here so much.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

kidkissinger posted:

why do you think Joe Biden is suddenly going to get hard on israel

Well yeah, if it's Biden you can throw everything I said previously out the window.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The only candidate who would even try to take on Israel would be Sanders

Warren has been clear in the past that she is mostly A-OK with Israeli policy

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

FlamingLiberal posted:

Warren has been clear in the past that she is mostly A-OK with Israeli policy

I mean, Israel is in a dangerous area - it makes strategic sense to bomb schools and hospitals - Warren, approximately

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s possible, but then I look how the DNC has handled Ilhan Omar and I’m not confident

they also applauded netanyahu a week ago.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Every other democrat presidential candidate acts like every single Jewish person is a rabid nationalist eager to do genocide meanwhile the only Jewish person running for the office is sticking up for Omar and Tlaib

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1162045636121911296

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

420 Gank Mid posted:

Every other democrat presidential candidate acts like every single Jewish person is a rabid nationalist eager to do genocide meanwhile the only Jewish person running for the office is sticking up for Omar and Tlaib

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1162045636121911296

as a pro-palestinian jew, yeah this pretty much how it is for all of us (not that bernie has a good track record on israel lol)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did he take any concrete action beyond abstaining on a UN vote to mildly admonish Israel for their war crimes and human rights violation instead of the US policy of auto-blocking it? Powerful stuff, for which he still got painted as a literal nazi.

If Bernie or another actual leftist with the guts to remotely criticize Israel starts showing a shot at winning the nomination, they're gonna get the Corbyn treatment lickety split.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

FlamingLiberal posted:

And don't forget that they royally hosed Obama on his way in with Cast Lead. And still he didn't do poo poo.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/status/1162077716172201989

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cryogrades

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Obama does this with Israel's security. Look how many times "security" is mentioned in this White House press release.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2016/09/14/us-making-historic-investment-protect-security-israel

quote:

The U.S. Is Making a Historic Investment to Protect the Security of Israel

quote:

This commitment to Israel’s security has been unwavering and is based on a genuine and abiding concern for the welfare of the Israeli people and the future of the State of Israel

quote:

We are proud that no other American administration in history has done more for Israel’s security.

quote:

Today, we’re making another unprecedented commitment to the security of Israel and the Israeli people

quote:

It’s a reminder of the United States’ unshakeable commitment to Israel’s security.

quote:

And greater certainty for Israel will breed greater security for Israel.

quote:

As we strengthen Israel’s security for the coming decade, we also remain committed to Israel’s security over the long-term.

quote:

Our security is linked—when allies and partners like Israel are more secure, the United States is more secure.

Here's my theory. Obama wants to play it both ways. He can appease the pro-Israel crowd by saying he is committed to Israel's security.

When the flip switches and the future becomes anti-Israel, Obama will come out and say "Well, I said I was only committed to the security of Israel. This is an alienable right attributed to all nations."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Nah, they focus on "security" because that's a key part of the Israeli narrative: that no matter how aggressive or expansionist or criminal Israel's actions may seem, it's all absolutely necessary for self-defense, and therefore anyone who criticizes them is actually seeking to destroy Israel by preventing it from defending itself.

It's not at all unique to Obama; Israel itself commonly uses "security" as their justification for illegal or immoral activities.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

Nah, they focus on "security" because that's a key part of the Israeli narrative: that no matter how aggressive or expansionist or criminal Israel's actions may seem, it's all absolutely necessary for self-defense, and therefore anyone who criticizes them is actually seeking to destroy Israel by preventing it from defending itself.

It's not at all unique to Obama; Israel itself commonly uses "security" as their justification for illegal or immoral activities.

Yeah, and we should keep in mind this is a habit of the Israeli left just as much as the reactionaries. Rabin favored the settlements because he thought they were necessary for "security".

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1171445999136460803?s=20
https://twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1171450034962845699

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

‘Love to do an apartheid’ -Bibi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU