Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Does this cement a hard/no deal brexit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

They would be dumb to, because there's no bilateral trade deal in place with the UK, and if they crash out of the EU then they revert to standard WTO trade rules. So even from a MAGAnomics perspective, it's not a good thing for the US, especially when it's compounded by a weak GBP, which would further discourage the UK from buying American goods.

That's to speak nothing of the political and economic instability that would plague the US' biggest military and geopolitical ally. But the MAGA wing of the Republican party doesn't really care about that.

They would be dumb to, but as you said the MAGA wing is dumb and what they care about is culture wars.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's Boris's goal, but I suspect this is just going to harden people against him, since its basically overriding parliament.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The Atlantic has a good writeup on it here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/08/boris-johnson-suspends-parliament-what-now-brexit/596944/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not quite fully but it's pretty close. The deadline for crash-out is 10/31 so they basically have 2 months to figure everything out, and Boris is burning a lot of that clock time.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Seems like the only way brexit isn't happening is if a lot of things get set on fire and a lot of people show up in the streets and not at their jobs, very quickly. Under the current dynamics, the center left and more moderate Tories absolutely prefer a Johnson hard brexit over a Corbyn remain or softer brexit.

Liberals prefer fascism to leftism meme here

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1166721452193792001?s=19

Special Election in 2020, a presidential year, and Stacey Abrams isn't doing anything.

Sounds like Stacey Abrams needs to do a thing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ASAPI posted:

drat.

Why couldn't we have had that guy under any other President? It's funny how he insults Trump like a Brit, all polite yet scathing.

Are we talking about the guy who was involved with the whole Theranos mess and pretty much immediately went to work for a military contractor after resigning as SecDef?

I think he was also responsible for the military stopping (the admittedly sanitized) civilian casualty assessments on drone strikes.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 28, 2019

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Am I the only one who is stuck on the 'reverse the experiment of american democracy' bit?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Remember when obama was president and asked for spicy mustard for a burger and it was the most outrageous thing ever somehow? I miss those days of a semi functional world

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1166721452193792001?s=19

Special Election in 2020, a presidential year, and Stacey Abrams isn't doing anything.

Sounds like Stacey Abrams needs to do a thing.

Doubt it, Georgia is already hosting a Senate election and she declined to run for that, she's not going to change her mind to run for a different Senate seat.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stravag posted:

Remember when obama was president and asked for spicy mustard for a burger and it was the most outrageous thing ever somehow? I miss those days of a semi functional world

Latte salute was my favorite manufactured crisis.

I've been not saluted to by people that were SUPPOSED to salute.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Dubya saluting while carrying his dogs is still the best one.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Wasabi the J posted:

Marine color guard holding a umbrella and Hannity having a on-air embolism over it was the most surreal one I remember.

Now it seems quaint.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
THE TAN SUIT

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Arugula!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1166687317853126656?s=19

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

THE TAN SUIT

Obama wearing a tan suit while having a Marine hold a umbrella over him while saluting another Marine with a hot dog in his hand that has both Dijon mustard and arugula.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

generals do what you tell them to. You could have swapped all the nazi generals with US generals and the outcome would have been the same.

That's overly simplistic. Generals do coups, generals poo poo talk their civilian leadership and get fired, generals disagree with overall strategy and drag their feet implementing policies they've been told to do, generals go and testify in front of Congress that if they let people outside their command structure prosecute rape within their command structure the entire edifice of military discipline will collapse, generals influence procurement when wooed by former colleagues, generals quit. A lot of them blindly follow orders, yes, but generals (especially higher up) are inherently political creatures.

And of course, all that aside Mattis was SecDef, not a general anymore. His career as a general definitely shaped his worldview and reaction to being told to do something by the president, but he was a civilian when voluntarily working for Trump.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I saw that headline mentioned in some sidebar and thought "fox is going to be hooting and hollering about that poo poo"

sure nuff lol

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bulletsponge13 posted:

Am I the only one who is stuck on the 'reverse the experiment of american democracy' bit?

This is always so weird in anti-Trump statements. On the one hand, they're making GBS threads all over his philosophy and calling him a particular danger to democracy. On the other, they literally never even use the word Trump.

It's really loving stupid. Either he's a danger to democracy and you should say so, or you're just bleating for establishment approval. The Mattis statement is no different than a ton of others who always seem to leave out the drat problem - Trump.

Edit: basically this

https://twitter.com/johngansjr/status/1166731422339457027?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 28, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Doubt it, Georgia is already hosting a Senate election and she declined to run for that, she's not going to change her mind to run for a different Senate seat.

Called it

https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/status/1166732743562137603?s=19

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My favorite manufacture non-scandal was, "Who is that uppity....woman to tell MY kids to drink more water!?"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/1166735195153846273?s=19

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrTf6CaTTc0

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

This but for all the GWB administration people responsible for the Iraq War.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so that guy is a veteran?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

My favorite manufacture non-scandal was, "Who is that uppity....woman to tell MY kids to drink more water!?"
*Palin takes big swig from Big Gulp
"AHAHAHAAHA MICHELLE CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, also my white trash family is a loving mess..."

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BigDave posted:

Marine color guard holding a umbrella and Hannity having a on-air embolism over it was the most surreal one I remember.

Now it seems quaint.

Trump can't even close an umbrella, and Hannity gargles his balls nightly.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

You forgot the best part.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1166723477879087104

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hey, gently caress you, puto.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

my dream is that on 12:01 pm inauguration day he's blindfolded and dropped naked in the center of san juan

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Or NYS indicts him as he’s walking back into Trump Tower after the inauguration.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Flying_Crab posted:

Or NYS indicts him as he’s walking back into Trump Tower after the inauguration.

I like N4B's version better.

If he makes it out he can be indicted.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
He shoots a man on 5th Avenue, fulfilling the prophecy.

the man, of course, is himself

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Possible test balloon for a Primary challenge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The President will need to make an emergency trip to Moscow at the last minute and gosh darn shame he had to miss the inauguration.