Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Othin posted:

Like what will you do with 90% of the rooms in there?
Why would crew (real players) eat in some lovely kitchen while ??? eat in the fancy dining room? If food is a thing why wouldn't you just gobble snack bar #53 from your inventory and then continue doing something fun?
What the gently caress is a massage room for in a space game?
If it gets blown up do you lose all of your space fish and space silk pajamas?

If this ship was the centerpiece of a single player PVE game where it's like a rich rear end in a top hat version of Voyager I would be pretty pumped, but it's just so so stupid in an "MMO".

The rooms, empty corridors, and massage tables are meant to be filled with: ~buyers dreams~. No gameplay will occur in those spaces outside of what a couple more players improv once a month.

Star Citizen is in fact a model viewer which is why the average Star Citizen fan does not care if it is showcased in client or 3DSMax

https://twitter.com/AwwwwCats/status/1166425492959965185

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

colonelwest posted:

It only exists so that neckbeards can pretend that they are wealthy and successful space men, by spending $900 on a nonfunctional art asset in a failed 7 year old pre-alpha.

Nothing on the ship has any gameplay function at all, nor have any gameplay mechanics been designed for it.

You're going to stand there and tell me that they haven't coded a full music playing and creation system? To my face you're going to say that the Space Turtle NPC I hire can't sit in the atrium and create never before heard music that I could then record and distribute throughout the galaxy? Are you really loving implying that I can't be Space Suge Knight smoking a cigar and wearing nothing but my Squadron 42 towel while I get a massage??

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Agony Aunt posted:

Just returned from vacation and wanted to share this wonderful little exchange i had on reddit a few days ago.

So, either this is complete and utter bull, or the CEO of a 500+ person company is spending lots of time not doing CEO stuff, but instead the Code Whisperer himself is working on the core tech of the game engine, which would really explain a lot about why things are so hosed up.

Think of it this way:

-The CEO of a 500-man company is writing code to allow people to walk inside of a moving object. This is something so banal these days that they get script kiddies straight outta college doing this for 1/10th of the CEOs wage, if not less.

Think of it, he wrote parts of the code to get people to move inside a moving object! NOT SINCE DUKE NUKEM 3D HAVE WE HAD MOVING OBJECTS ON MOVING OBJECTS!!!!!!!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
THIS PHYSICS GRID WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!!!!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grubby Hobo posted:

If it is true, as some thought, that Erin showed to the concierge event already drunk, you gotta wonder why.

It could be that he was having a few rounds with friends beforehand, sure, that happens.

It could also be that his conscience needed a protective layer before facing the marks.

He could also be turning into an alcoholic from trying to drink away the stress of working on a trainwreck and lying to backers :shrug:
Hard to say at this point.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Oh yeah, Erin Roberts has also gained at least 300lbs since I last followed this mess and it was literally shocking to see him. The cultists also have some new acronym that I see them pinning all of their hopes and dreams on, what's up with that? It's like SOCS or SSOCS?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Chris, the man who was utterly dumbfounded by the prospect of cutting a cake is coding the physics, I ache for that to be true,

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Othin posted:

Oh yeah, Erin Roberts has also gained at least 300lbs since I last followed this mess and it was literally shocking to see him. The cultists also have some new acronym that I see them pinning all of their hopes and dreams on, what's up with that? It's like SOCS or SSOCS?

it stands for 'poo poo poo poo Oh Crap, poo poo!' and it comes from Chris's own mouth as he was coding the physics late one night

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Remember one of Roberts' biggest lies? That the whole universe would be an in-depth simulation where everything actually happens and nothing is faked and NPCs actually do supply runs and get pirated by pirate NPCs etc?

Obviously I never believed that for a moment, but if I did, I'd be curious to find out just how that is supposed to work with SSOCS. They have to turn off all parts of the universe where players aren't currently, so the servers don't keep crashing every 12 hours and have a maximum player count of 50, yet at the same time the whole universe will be meticulously modeled and simulated?

I mean I know the answer but it would still be interesting to hear how shitizens are able to take these contradictory statements and somehow have them both be true at the same time.

Othin posted:

Server-side Object Container Streaming. Basically server-side occlusion. The theory is that the servers will only simulate the areas near players, which is of course sane and it's what pretty much all games already do, but it isn't some kind of magic bullet solution.

Cultists believe that once SSOCS is implemented, their 50 player max cap servers will magically turn into MMO servers capable of serving thousands of players, which is of course bullshit. Even if it did somehow work, you'd quickly reach a point where players had spread out so wide across the server that you'd again be simulating huge areas of it.

Ultimately what we come back to is that maybe it's a bad idea to make a massive twitch combat space MMO in a game engine intended for small FPS maps.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 28, 2019

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
SSOCS is ultimately pointless as :lol: if you think 1000s of people are playing this poo poo, it's a ghost town

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

https://starcitizen.center/ has been down since August 20th or perhaps earlier. rip rip ripems :rip:

He had the route planner and some other useless tools.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

Cultists believe that once SSOCS is implemented, their 50 player max cap servers will magically turn into MMO servers capable of serving thousands of players, which is of course bullshit. Even if it did somehow work, you'd quickly reach a point where players had spread out so wide across the server that you'd again be simulating huge areas of it.

No no no, EssySocks is so your latency doesn't go to poo poo when people decide to do the same thing at the same time.

It's your server-meshing that's going to magically make AWS into the largest computing supercluster on the planet. Ignore for a moment that Eve Online kinda already does this with one of the largest in-memory persistance stores and fabric networking; it's Amazon COTs that's going to blow the lid off large scale gaming. Because if there's anything that Amazon is know for, it's the speed of their deliveries, not the cost or robustness.

Slightly more seriously; the 1600 people per instance was based on simulated agents on a local machine and a misreading of Moore's law in terms of networking. They actually seemed to believe that there would be more advances in gaming networking in the past half decade when the networking money is all in enterprise architecture, automation and stopping people from accidentally losing metaphorical limbs by using bad IAM or S3 configurations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Think of it this way:

-The CEO of a 500-man company is writing code to allow people to walk inside of a moving object. This is something so banal these days that they get script kiddies straight outta college doing this for 1/10th of the CEOs wage, if not less.

Think of it, he wrote parts of the code to get people to move inside a moving object! NOT SINCE DUKE NUKEM 3D HAVE WE HAD MOVING OBJECTS ON MOVING OBJECTS!!!!!!!

Or, the horrifying reality:

- The CEO is that manager. The one who wrote code once, 20 years ago. Who still considers himself a coder. Who thinks he's helping when he butts into every loving technical meeting and slaps his dick on the table with stuff like "This would be so much easier in COBOL" and "I don't see why you're spending half your time on integration tests, that stuff is what QA is for" and other extremely useful technical advice. The one who hasn't learned a loving thing about modern standards and thinks most of it is consultant bullshit. The one who thinks agile methodology is a threat and stamps it out at every turn.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I played a bit of Just Cause 3 last night and it constantly surprises me that pretty much any and all games absolutely poo poo all over Star Citizen and do things without fuss or fanfare that the citizens would be high fiving each other over for months.
I stood on top of a moving tank while tethering helicopters together, that alone would set redit alight for weeks, CI¬G would call it 'Object Interactivity Meshing gently caress Yeah' or some such poo poo

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

I played a bit of Just Cause 3 last night and it constantly surprises me that pretty much any and all games absolutely poo poo all over Star Citizen and do things without fuss or fanfare that the citizens would be high fiving each other over for months.
I stood on top of a moving tank while tethering helicopters together, that alone would set redit alight for weeks, CI¬G would call it 'Object Interactivity Meshing gently caress Yeah' or some such poo poo

CIG should hire you to name every basic thing they release

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hav posted:

It's your server-meshing that's going to magically make AWS into the largest computing supercluster on the planet.

Oh yes right. The computer visionary Chris Roberts has designed a way to seamlessly mesh countless servers together, so that if a commando from one ship fires a bullet through his ship's window, it will travel across space and server boundaries to seamlessly hit another commando in his ship's Holodeck.

I'm not being sarcastic either, this is what they've been promising.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Der Shovel posted:

Oh yes right. The computer visionary Chris Roberts has designed a way to seamlessly mesh countless servers together, so that if a commando from one ship fires a bullet through his ship's window, it will travel across space and server boundaries to seamlessly hit another commando in his ship's Holodeck.

Not if I watch you via my huge telescope from bazillion kilometers away and sidestep that bullet, you goon griefer!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I just want a peaceful life and space farm.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Virtual Captain posted:

https://starcitizen.center/ has been down since August 20th or perhaps earlier. rip rip ripems :rip:

He had the route planner and some other useless tools.

Looks like scqa.info died earlier this year too

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Just Cause 4 is not that great, BTW. In fact;

Just Cause 2 -> Just Cause 3 -> Just Cause 4 -> Just Cause.

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, I know. But they're keeping almost all engagement ranges below 2km and speeds below 300 m/s because they're working with an engine designed around foot/vehicle engagements in a 4km square. Changing the addressing space to 64 bit is fun, but that's still two 32-bit fields they're mashing around, and it has the knock-on effects of making uncertainly a bigger player in terms of the collision between a 64 bit addressing space and arbitrary precision.

Even better, they appear to be wedded to the engine itself and have doubled down on Lumberyard, meaning that they get nothing from the last two major updates for CryEngine, which include new interest management (the whole 'culling' thing) and support for graphics cards released in the past seven years.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Colostomy Bag posted:

I just want a peaceful life and space farm.

I just want a working toilet

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

You should make quick videos of doing fun things in cool and good games, with Crobbears-like feature names

"This is new Star Citizen never seen before tech called Grabby Tickly Hands 3.0. It allows Commandos to attach rockets to a cow's anus, grapple said cow to this car and civilian, then launch them all at that police helicopter. Ground-breaking. Tickly Hands sold separately, pledge now"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Quavers posted:

Looks like scqa.info died earlier this year too

omg that was the wiki that was actually half decent. :lol: It had enough control mechanisms to keep the haters out.

They're gonna have to fallback on that unmaintained one that I should have been trolling this entire time :negative:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

And this in the tech demo where, as I recall, if someone tried to snipe you but you were too far away, your client would not register the hits unless you zoomed in on the shooter with a sniper scope.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

omg that was the wiki that was actually half decent. :lol: It had enough control mechanisms to keep the haters out.

They're gonna have to fallback on that unmaintained one that I should have been trolling this entire time :negative:

See if you can take over the old site, for comedy effect http://reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4cn0lk/i_created_a_webpage_to_catalog_every_question_and/

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Hav posted:

Yeah, I know. But they're keeping almost all engagement ranges below 2km and speeds below 300 m/s because they're working with an engine designed around foot/vehicle engagements in a 4km square. Changing the addressing space to 64 bit is fun, but that's still two 32-bit fields they're mashing around, and it has the knock-on effects of making uncertainly a bigger player in terms of the collision between a 64 bit addressing space and arbitrary precision.

Even better, they appear to be wedded to the engine itself and have doubled down on Lumberyard, meaning that they get nothing from the last two major updates for CryEngine, which include new interest management (the whole 'culling' thing) and support for graphics cards released in the past seven years.

Ah this is where you are wrong. CR himself is coding it so you can actually send packets faster than the speed of light and this game is in space so data transmitted should be in a vacuum and CryEngine stole the improvements from StarEngine.

So as you can see, we will definitely be able to have 1000 people in an instance firing at each other from space and the ground with mines and every ship and all of the data points from all of the pledges will be able to be sent instantly to servers and clients because cloud.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Der Shovel posted:

At the same time, if you go play the PU right now and have another player shoot you from a long distance their bullets won't reach... unless you zoom on them with your binoculars or whatever, then the bullets will hit you.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Not if I watch you via my huge telescope from bazillion kilometers away and sidestep that bullet, you goon griefer!

Nooo you idiot! This how you get hit! If you don't watch it doesn't happen, that is SC logic.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hav posted:

That is just absolutely perfect. Cultists are creaming their pants over the REVOLUTIONARY tech Roberts is personally coding and which will alone make CIG millions in licensing fees (in 2-3 years when it's done)... and then a newer version of the engine they're using, a newer version which they'd already HAVE in use if they hadn't hosed over Crytek, already has it built in :bravo:

trucutru posted:

At the same time, if you go play the PU right now and have another player shoot you from a long distance their bullets won't reach... unless you zoom on them with your binoculars or whatever, then the bullets will hit you.

That's just how good their culling tech is, it's LITERALLY bulletproof!

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Baxta posted:

Ah this is where you are wrong. CR himself is coding it so you can actually send packets faster than the speed of light.

Quantum Entanglement Networking, the next great backer hope.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So how starved for game content are SC fans? Well...

:stare:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So how starved for game content are SC fans?(...)

Yes.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Has anyone said parpetual development yet?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Der Shovel posted:

That is just absolutely perfect. Cultists are creaming their pants over the REVOLUTIONARY tech Roberts is personally coding and which will alone make CIG millions in licensing fees (in 2-3 years when it's done)... and then a newer version of the engine they're using, a newer version which they'd already HAVE in use if they hadn't hosed over Crytek, already has it built in :bravo:

That's just how good their culling tech is, it's LITERALLY bulletproof!

Huh, like MoMA´s ToS. Makes you think.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ugh yeah 7 vs 16 is pretty close to double the HOLD THE loving PHONE

Its more than double!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ugh yeah 7 vs 16 is pretty close to double the HOLD THE loving PHONE

Its more than double!

If you went from the old show to the new show you drop 56% of your content!

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Totally not a cult:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Fans of other games make extensive comparisons of the weapons/locations/enemies/etc. Fans of SC analyze the poo poo out of the only content that is truly available to them : the publicity.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beexoffel posted:

Has anyone said parpetual development yet?

:gary: :yarg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm not a programmer, but this strikes me as either total bullshit or incredible inefficiency if true. Can anyone with more experience give their take?

Like, if you need a client-side server to spawn things, wouldn't Cryengine/Lumberyard already have this functionality, being a game engine made for SP and MP games? Why do you need this new system to do something it can already do?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 28, 2019