Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In other rewatching news, I rewatched Shazam with my wife on the weekend. She really liked it (which is funny as she hard noped going to see it in the cinema at the time.)

Holds up well, pretty funny. But I only then realized on the second watch through that Billy is supposed to fill the Seven Thrones of Wizards. But even with his family all super, that's only six Thrones.

So Black Adam for the seventh throne?
Or get one of the actors from Game of Thrones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Something I've just realised. With all of the Batman adaptations/movies/TV shows, we're yet to get a definitive, great Batman. Each one brings something to the table, but when I watch Superman I can look at Christopher Reeve and say 'thats the guy from the comics, that's perfect'. Same with Tom Holland's Spider-man, or Downey's Iron Man. I can't think of a single Batman performance that captures the character in the same way (outside of animation anyway). It's such a weird oversight, but probably comes from him having such interesting villains. Half the adaptations about Batman don't really give a poo poo about Batman himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Something I've just realised. With all of the Batman adaptations/movies/TV shows, we're yet to get a definitive, great Batman. Each one brings something to the table, but when I watch Superman I can look at Christopher Reeve and say 'thats the guy from the comics, that's perfect'. Same with Tom Holland's Spider-man, or Downey's Iron Man. I can't think of a single Batman performance that captures the character in the same way (outside of animation anyway). It's such a weird oversight, but probably comes from him having such interesting villains. Half the adaptations about Batman don't really give a poo poo about Batman himself.

Definitive is hard for Batman because he has so much variety. That said I would argue hard for Adam West

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

BTAS is my definitive Batman, even if I think fans go too far in saying he’s the only GOOD Batman.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
BTAS is the definitive version of both Batman and Bruce Wayne for me, and though I didn't love the LEGO Batman movie, I do think that both Arnett Batman/Bruce Wayne are quite good as well.

I don't think any of the live action versions have managed captured the subtle differences between the two characters. I do like the Adam West and Val Kilmer Batman (Batmens?). Kilmer was a medicore Bruce Wayne, though. Conversely, I remember really liking Cooney's interpretation of Wayne, but found his Bat-presence lacking.

Of all people, I do think that Keanu would do a really good job playing both Bruce and Bats.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When it comes to live action I agree, and would also put Spider-Man in there. The Batmans/men that we've seen, if they were all mashed together, could be the Batman but none of them do it individually.

Although, at the time, Adam West Batman was pretty drat awesome. Obviously he doesn't represent Batman as we know it since that series but back then I don't know what he would really be missing.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I actually think that Bale in Begins feels pretty definitive. A big part of that is that the structure of the film and Bruce's development within it is about finding purposeful character based reasons for all the bits of characterization that we associate with the post-seventies primary continuity comic Batman.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This is a fun making of interview for the final Endgame battle https://youtu.be/G61QhQjsvpw

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
New JOKER trailer.

https://twitter.com/jokermovie/status/1166742248949551104?s=21

(Strong Carson Tonight Show curtains energy.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That (outside of animation) caveat you threw in is doing a lot of work in this post.

I'd argue Batman, of all superheroes, is one of the hardest to pin down. There might be no other superhero who's had so many different versions. Superman comes close simply due to his age, but he's never really had a grim period that anyone takes as canon like Batman has.

Like, I look at modern DC Batman comics, and I can tell it's Batman, but in my mind that modern 5-times rebooted take on the character is less authentically Batman than BTAS or Brave and the Bold Batman is, even though that's "comic book Batman". Fans of Snyder's run might strongly disagree with me.

So for movie Batmans I never think of it in terms of how close to the "real" batman they got it, just how interesting the take is, and if they got the core right.

Lobok posted:

When it comes to live action I agree, and would also put Spider-Man in there. The Batmans/men that we've seen, if they were all mashed together, could be the Batman but none of them do it individually.

Although, at the time, Adam West Batman was pretty drat awesome. Obviously he doesn't represent Batman as we know it since that series but back then I don't know what he would really be missing.

Even though there are striking differences (he doesn't quip!!!!!!!!), Tobey remains the closest to comic book Spider-man. Despite those movies being campy as heck, they got the melodrama right.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 28, 2019

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mister Mind posted:

New JOKER trailer.

https://twitter.com/jokermovie/status/1166742248949551104?s=21

(Strong Carson Tonight Show curtains energy.)

I'd be so much more interested in this movie if it wasn't a Joker movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

In other rewatching news, I rewatched Shazam with my wife on the weekend. She really liked it (which is funny as she hard noped going to see it in the cinema at the time.)

Holds up well, pretty funny. But I only then realized on the second watch through that Billy is supposed to fill the Seven Thrones of Wizards. But even with his family all super, that's only six Thrones.

It'll be that tiger they used to hang out with in the comics.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wonder how DC will respond if the movie is well received and they just barely made their comic book joker into the we live in a society meme version of the joker

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there are four jokers on the edge of a cliff

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Time Warner works the same way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol goddamn

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jamesman posted:

Well one of the reasons it looks good is because it kind of looks like it isn't really.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

I assume Black Adam gets a face turn if you're casting The Rock

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jamesman posted:

Good news, The King of Comedy exists. If you strip away the DC characters it honestly sounds like an intentional remake.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it.

That Joker trailer looks good.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Good news, The King of Comedy exists. If you strip away the DC characters it honestly sounds like an intentional remake.

It’s a weird turnaround, with DeNiro in the Jerry Lewis sort of role.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

Well one of the reasons it looks good is because it kind of looks like it isn't really.

Yeah, I'm just worried about some kind of tethering to the comics or forcing in some kind of cinematic universe poo poo.

I mean, weren't Batman's parents supposed to be in this movie?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

Set photos I've seen make it clear that some of those trailer shots are carefully framed from chaotic attacks to look like an uplifting success story. Either it's the trailer doing what trailers do, or (and this is my hope) there's going to be a dueling narratives thing going on. It's cliche but if you pull it off well (and I think everyone involved in this is capable of pulling it off well) that's going to make something memorable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, I'm just worried about some kind of tethering to the comics or forcing in some kind of cinematic universe poo poo.

I mean, weren't Batman's parents supposed to be in this movie?

Pretty sure Thomas Wayne is the guy in the suit who decks him in the trailer

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

That's actually a good point. I'd go with Bale as Bruce Wayne and Keaton as Batman. Affleck probably balanced the two the best and I wish we'd gotten him in a solo film if, for nothing else, then making up for Daredevil. Agree with the guy that said Batman Begins nailed most of it but (and dumb complaint) I didn't like the cowl/mask and it took me out of it.

Good point about Spiderman too come to think of it. ASM2 had the best costume hands down but, you're right about roles that haven't been totally nailed like Reeve and Downey. I'd throw Charlie Cox and Jon Bernthal in there too as far as nailing poo poo goes. Also D'Onofrio

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 28, 2019

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Begins is definitely the closest for me. Bale was an absolute beast in that. But man it's hard to give him the crown when he has that loving awful Batman voice in the next two.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Begins is definitely the closest for me. Bale was an absolute beast in that. But man it's hard to give him the crown when he has that loving awful Batman voice in the next two.

He had the same voice in Begins.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If we're going further afield, Evans Captain America is up there imo

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Vince MechMahon posted:

He had the same voice in Begins.

I don't know man, it definitely got worse as the trilogy progresses. By the time we got to 'where's the trigger', if you'd told me Bale was intentionally parodying himself I would have believed you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't know man, it definitely got worse as the trilogy progresses. By the time we got to 'where's the trigger', if you'd told me Bale was intentionally parodying himself I would have believed you.

I remember thinking it sucked even in Begins. "Swear to me!!!!" and such. He just yelled slightly less in it than the others.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I'm not wearing hockey pants!!!!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I remember thinking it sucked even in Begins. "Swear to me!!!!" and such. He just yelled slightly less in it than the others.

It began bad but definitely got worse, which was weird because the feedback and criticisms all focused on it and you'd think at some point Nolan would have dialed it back. It's not overly cartoonish or distracting in Begins.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe nolan was afraid bale would throw one of his infamous tantrums if he told him to quit it

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I liked it in Begins, you gotta do a voice or everyone who has met both personas will connect the dots. Conroy and Keaton were probably better but their dual voices weren't as drastically different. I honestly think his voice getting worse between movies was a concious effort by Bale to show his deterioration over time.

That being said, he sounds like an idiot in Rises so it was definitely a bad choice.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's funny because Batman has all these impossible gadgets but he doesn't use a voice modulator? A technology that actually exists?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Away all Goats posted:

It's funny because Batman has all these impossible gadgets but he doesn't use a voice modulator? A technology that actually exists?

Didn’t Affleck Batman use a voice modulator?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah it was subtle but I think it was the smart move.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man I remember the days where Conroy had two voices. Then he just kind of stopped caring.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Blockhouse posted:

Man I remember the days where Conroy had two voices. Then he just kind of stopped caring.

Andrea Romano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Even though there are striking differences (he doesn't quip!!!!!!!!), Tobey remains the closest to comic book Spider-man. Despite those movies being campy as heck, they got the melodrama right.

For me it's Garfield who does the best Spider-Man, Holland who does the best Peter, but despite that and other things the Raimi movies are still the ones to beat. Those highs are the highest.