Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Starting playing this a few days ago for the first time, on nightmare. It is amazing how the combat dynamics change once you get a base of neuromods build up. At the start I had to be extremely cagey around phantoms, often winning by throwing explosive canisters at them, or hitting them with the stun-gun and then dumping shotgun rounds into them. The ones that would duplicate themselves were particularly problematic. In psychotronics I discovered combat focus, and now I can pretty much bludgeon two phantoms to death at once with the wrench. So yeah, that has made things easier. It does make me reliant on those science operators to fill back up though.

Also, I am currently going through GUTS, and I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Leverage 3 gets really useful in Mooncrash because once power failures start being a thing in the sim, someone who can force doors open with brute strength is very handy.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I went through about 90% of the game before realizing shift makes you go faster in zero gravity. Yes I know all the controls are permanently on screen during those sequences. Didn't think I could go any faster because just holding W makes your thrust meter look maxed out. Going through every zero-G sequence at 1.49 m/s was torture.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I went through about 90% of the game before realizing shift makes you go faster in zero gravity. Yes I know all the controls are permanently on screen during those sequences. Didn't think I could go any faster because just holding W makes your thrust meter look maxed out. Going through every zero-G sequence at 1.49 m/s was torture.

On the plus side, you probably saved yourself some real embarrassing deaths (I sure didnt)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Farrier Theaks posted:

On the plus side, you probably saved yourself some real embarrassing deaths (I sure didnt)

Once I discovered I could jet around at 10 m/s I was zipping around like an ace loving pilot with clutch turns and brakes. Zero-G sections went from phone surfing for 3 minutes on autopilot to a kick-rear end space balet. Also the speed indicator turning red told me not to crash at those speeds.

I have, however, killed myself (in mooncrash) by melee killing kind controlled humans. Turns out they still explode. Killed 3 of them so fast I didn't realize what was happening.

I'm almost done with mooncrash and I'm going back for a second helping of the main game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

At least Mooncrash mind-controlled humans don't really "count" since they're all listed as "?"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really really like Prey....sort of. What a weird thing to say. When I play it for any length of time I'm constantly on edge, and end up playing Dishonored or Deus Ex (any of them) instead. Anyone else have this issue? I can clearly see that this game is amazing, looks fantastic, plays great, and is great fun. But having head crabs made of shadow-stuff constantly jumping on me makes me so on edge.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I remember it being pretty tense in the beginning, but once I had a handle on the combat and some power ups the tension eased up.

I picked up Mooncrash at the 11th hour of the Bethesda sale, I'm looking forward to diving in this weekend.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So, is Mooncrash named as such because it plays on the moon and crashes all the time?
Three times in a row now, a crash ended my run with a message like "tried writing to address 0xFFFFFFFF" or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I really really like Prey....sort of. What a weird thing to say. When I play it for any length of time I'm constantly on edge, and end up playing Dishonored or Deus Ex (any of them) instead. Anyone else have this issue? I can clearly see that this game is amazing, looks fantastic, plays great, and is great fun. But having head crabs made of shadow-stuff constantly jumping on me makes me so on edge.

It fits really well with my tendency to play very slowly and look at all the stuff anyway, so that doesn't bother me, plus eventually you just turn into an insane psionic death machine that blows everyone up by thinking at them real hard and you start summoning the nightmare just to dunk on it.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
I think I am in love with this game.

The sound issue is still bothersome but the rest of the game makes up for it for me.

I love how you are rewarded for exploring every nook and cranny, I love that everywhere is dangerous when you first enter an area and you're forced to methodically clear the place before you've got free reign. I love that my natural hoarding tendencies are rewarded with the recycling system.

It is perfect sperg game.

Only at the Arboretum so far. Trying to go full human neuromods and not kill anyone. At first I thought that you needed mindjack to free the enthralled humans but just discovered the disruptor does the same thing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As someone who went 'full human' on his game... don't. There's a stupid little achievement at the end and that's it. You can still be goodie two shoes while turning yourself into a mimic. And also unlocking like dozens of achievements along the way instead of just one.

Also, if you're like 99% of all players and you picked up the scrounging talents, you end up with more neuromod points than there are interesting human skills to buy. Criminal shame.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

As someone who went 'full human' on his game... don't. There's a stupid little achievement at the end and that's it. You can still be goodie two shoes while turning yourself into a mimic. And also unlocking like dozens of achievements along the way instead of just one.

Also, if you're like 99% of all players and you picked up the scrounging talents, you end up with more neuromod points than there are interesting human skills to buy. Criminal shame.

Yeah, the way the game makes it seem like bad things might happen a la Dishonored's chaos system (which is also a shame, I think high chaos is a more compelling and interesting story) is really too bad. Go hog wild on the neuromods imo.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Full Human is easy mode anyways. All the mimic stuff pales in effectiveness compared to the unkillable murdertyphoon that a human-only neuro kit will turn you into. Fast, durable, extremely lethal, versatile and all-access.

Now, going typhon-only... That's hard mode. Very limited inventory, fragile, ineffective weapons, slow, pick and choose from only two scope/suit upgrades, sneak around enemies to conserve psi...

And No Needles is a real challenge. Good thing you can melt down all these stacks of neuromods you find to fabricate more shotgun shells

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Can I just copy a file off the internet that takes place before the Endingtron 3000 so I don't have to put in the effort for a No Needles run?

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Can I just copy a file off the internet that takes place before the Endingtron 3000 so I don't have to put in the effort for a No Needles run?

If you're going to do that might as well just use Steam Achievement Manager (or whatever the kids use now I dunno I'm old)

https://github.com/gibbed/SteamAchievementManager

Immortal Wombat fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 4, 2019

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you're not going to do the run either way and want your reward (????) for the thing you didn't do anyways, might as well skip the middle man and use SAM. An achievement is the only thing it results in.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The “consequence” of going for typhon points is that the incredibly useless turrets will also shoot at you before being knocked over by a stray breeze

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Turrets are pretty effective in numbers actually

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
We all gathered all the possible turrets in the main hall and set them up at effective chokepoints, only for them to be destroyed after leaving them alone for one loading screen.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I put all the main hall turrets in front of my office because No Bugs Allowed, and then when I came back later they all ID'd me as Bug.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial

WaltherFeng posted:

We all gathered all the possible turrets in the main hall and set them up at effective chokepoints, only for them to be destroyed after leaving them alone for one loading screen.

Seriously this pissed me off. I spent so many spare parts fixing turrets and they automatically get destroyed when new enemies spawn. What's the loving point then?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They don't automatically get destroyed and they work really well against mimics, but there's usually a stray phantom walking around and unless the turret somehow gets the drop on said phantom off-screen, it's going to zip-zap once or twice, blast the turret with a yellow ball and, at best, dislodge and auto-collapse it or just outright break it.

Turrets work really well in dead ends without attack angles from above or behind, and in numbers of two or three. They can make short work of even phantoms that way. Buuuuut.... you really, really rarely have that kind of setup. Especially because Prey usually has huuuge vertical setups, and floating enemies.

So you usually load into an area, new pahtoms or bigger baddies have spawned and roam around, and by the time you get to the turret, they'll have broken it (and you might find one or two dead mimic matters at its broken base)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is there any chance of Prey 2 ever happening?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Probably not, at least not anytime soon, but Deathloop could be good!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is there any chance of Prey 2 ever happening?

The project director resigned from the company post-release, in most business contexts that translates to “seen internally as a failure”. But who knows? The Wolfenstein games apparently didn’t perform to expectations and Bethsoft is pretty committed to them. Cult titles can come back from the dead.

There’s been fairly robust speculation that Mooncrash was a dry run for their new time loop game, from a design standpoint. So if you liked Mooncrash you might see something like it next year or the year after.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial

HenryEx posted:

They don't automatically get destroyed...
So you usually load into an area, new pahtoms or bigger baddies have spawned and roam around, and by the time you get to the turret, they'll have broken it (and you might find one or two dead mimic matters at its broken base)

Hmm... I remain suspicious. I'll have to gather all the turrets in the arboretum (4-6?) into an archway to test this on my next run.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

The project director resigned from the company post-release, in most business contexts that translates to “seen internally as a failure”. But who knows? The Wolfenstein games apparently didn’t perform to expectations and Bethsoft is pretty committed to them. Cult titles can come back from the dead.

There’s been fairly robust speculation that Mooncrash was a dry run for their new time loop game, from a design standpoint. So if you liked Mooncrash you might see something like it next year or the year after.

Mooncrash was good but a little too easy and not random enough for what it was trying to do. I think expanding into an entire game will work a lot better than slapping it on Prey's existing systems so here's hoping!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Immortal Wombat posted:

Hmm... I remain suspicious. I'll have to gather all the turrets in the arboretum (4-6?) into an archway to test this on my next run.
If you drop em in your office corridor they typically survive between spawns. I wouldn’t be surprised if it really was a space / distance thing. Maybe they survive in bathrooms, idk

It’s a real shame they didn’t have the time or resources to put all the extra stuff from Mooncrash into the game. Laser turrets would have made a big difference.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I thought the turrets deactivated on level load?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

El_Elegante posted:

I thought the turrets deactivated on level load?

Nah they don't. All the deactivated turrets you find probably got pinball'd around by respawned phantoms' psychic blasts though, they usually do after a certain point in the game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Nah they don't. All the deactivated turrets you find probably got pinball'd around by respawned phantoms' psychic blasts though, they usually do after a certain point in the game.

The turrets I place in "safe" zones like your office will still get damaged and knocked over on map load, iirc. Also, when a turret is near a map entrance, I could swear I've seen them explode as soon as I zone in.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial

Ravenfood posted:

Also, when a turret is near a map entrance, I could swear I've seen them explode as soon as I zone in.

I was going to mention this but I play the game high a lot and I wasn't sure if I was remembering wrong

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

The turrets I place in "safe" zones like your office will still get damaged and knocked over on map load, iirc. Also, when a turret is near a map entrance, I could swear I've seen them explode as soon as I zone in.

Equally anecdotal, but one of my office turrets lasted an entire run. Are you sure the turret you saw explode on zone in wasn't just attacked by a fresh typhon spawn as soon as you zoned in? I'm reasonably certain they don't just blow up by themselves.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The reinforced turret i left at my office in my current run was also damaged when i came back from Psychotronics, but then i also saw two unlooted mimic bodies in the corridor

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mooncrash ending speculations.

I was wondering if any of the characters actually survive.

I reckon the memory block missions take precedence in being the actual events, so we can be sure Andrius is 100% dead, since he is killed by a Telepath at the end of his mission. So no escape in the Mimic Portal for him.

Yu is likewise 200% dead, since even in her escape she gets deleted and then the operator with her backup ends up Mooncrashing.

Claire may be alive or dead, as in Bhatia's memory the player gets the option of letting her escape. So whatever is chosen there is her determinant.

I am on the fence about Bhatia. We originally find his corpse in the simulation close to where his memory mission concludes, but the simulation is supposed to become more accurate as the player explores it, so that may or may not be precise at that point. If it isn't, I guess he pulled off the Mass Driver escape.

And as for Joan, I guess she's dead too, since the Shuttle is still around the base, unless there is a second. Shame, she was my favorite. :smith:

Peter obviously survives long enough to crash on Earth. He might or might not get eaten by the Mimic that came along with him.

I guess it's kind of a moot point, since the Earth is taken over by the Typhon and the likehood of a Prey 2 is not looking good at the present.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm at least halfway into my 'typhon powers too' run. Jeeesus christ, it's OP. Telepaths and technopaths were always really tough, but now psychoshock just removes all of their powers. At level 3 you can cast it again before their powers come back. Technopaths only need it to be cast once though: 1 psychoshock then 1 machine mind on a turret it's controlling. That will kill it.

Psychoshock is also nice if the nightmare is stuck behind something and casting those light-ball things at you. It's ALSO nice because it doesn't destroy anything or cause fires. It has a short range though, seems to be 20 feet or so.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typhon powers basically turns you into a walking death machine. It's insane how powerful you can get if you really go out of your way to get neuromod parts and buy all the psi powers.

In the end I was desperately hucking anything I could find into a big pile to recycle grenade it for metal, because I had more exotic than I could eat but I used all the metal making neuromods :v:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The best thing about typhon powers is time stops while you cast them. So you can drop 3-4 big damage spells on something in an instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Even just the one that locks out enemy powers is enough to break the game, turning enemies that were previously extremely dangerous into harmless kittens