Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
AI Jean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's the deal with Al Jean anyway? He was influential early on with good poo poo and even left for a bit to make the also awesome critic but god drat simpsons sucks now

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I've also wondered what the hell happened, but I assume it's just due to him never leaving again. One person can be funny when writing the same show for only so long before their ideas get old and stale. Variety is the spice of life.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Picturing an AI that is programmed today so it produces Cryptkeeper Marge and Unrecognizable Moe voices from now till eternity

It's been done already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78gYyTrG7Y

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the deal with Al Jean anyway? He was influential early on with good poo poo and even left for a bit to make the also awesome critic but god drat simpsons sucks now

That really just makes me curious as to just how much of The Critic he was responsible for. Yeah I know his name's on it but that doesn't always mean everything. :colbert:

Maybe he was funny once upon a time before he became Al "jokes in the corner" Jean

esports magazine
Aug 23, 2019

page 83: NERF THIS! 6 hot new Irelia builds to make him SWEAT!

wanjeon joh-a! new meta! douyu's future superstar, today!
:potg:

what the unbelievable gently caress is this poo poo

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

esports magazine posted:

couch gag guest animated by the great Don Hertzfeldt

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

No showrunner should be doing one show for twenty years, no matter how good they are it’s gonna get stale with such an enormous time frame. I’m sure there are exceptions for the best of the best but I don’t think that includes Al Jean.

No matter the talent or intentions, this poo poo it just unsustainable in its current form

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

esports magazine posted:

One of very few good things to come out of the Simpsons in a long while.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I keep seeing this avatar:

But all I can think of is:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I keep seeing this avatar:

But all I can think of is:

drat you really gonna make me waste another $5?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

WeaponX posted:

No showrunner should be doing one show for twenty years, no matter how good they are it’s gonna get stale with such an enormous time frame. I’m sure there are exceptions for the best of the best but I don’t think that includes Al Jean.

No matter the talent or intentions, this poo poo it just unsustainable in its current form

Good point, if Bill Oakley were entering his 23rd season of showrunning it would still be in bad shape. Although he does seem to have self awareness so it wouldn’t be as dire.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Milo and POTUS posted:

I guess Mike Reiss was the funny one

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

Actually it sucks poo poo

esports magazine
Aug 23, 2019

DizzyBum posted:

is this what stockholm syndrome looks like, that poo poo sucked

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Last Chance posted:

esports magazine posted:

is this what stockholm syndrome looks like, that poo poo sucked

Nah.

Some of the couch gags have been better than the vast majority of Simpsons episodes over the last decade.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
that hertzfeldt is great, sorry

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

That really just makes me curious as to just how much of The Critic he was responsible for. Yeah I know his name's on it but that doesn't always mean everything. :colbert:

Maybe he was funny once upon a time before he became Al "jokes in the corner" Jean

Gonna do a hot take here, but a good chunk of The Critic isn't that great. It might be just me, but as episodes go by in The Critic, the show more and more does the late-era Simpsons thing of "we wrote like five minutes of plot and need to fill the rest of this thing up." So there'll be someone saying one sentence, then do a non-sequitir monkeycheese joke or a cutaway gag, then say a sentence, then do a gag, and so on and so forth. On my last watch, I think the trucker and Desert Storm episodes were probably the biggest offenders that made me notice this. You'd have people start talking in a restaurant doing plot stuff, then after chaining together a bunch of cutaways and random gags, you'd be about 8 minutes along realizing that they only said a few sentences in that restaurant. Modern Simpsons does that a lot too, but instead of some funny gags like The Critic, they're these laboriously-long windups and post-scripts to really lame jokes. I still like The Critic and think it's fine, I've just started noticing common threads between it and the worse parts of the Simpsons every time I rewatch it.

There's a group of people that rip on the early Simpsons for using nothing but Harvard writers, but we also keep saying that those are the only good episodes so :shrug: maybe hiring people who graduate from a good school for writing may know what they're doing when it comes to writing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Last Chance posted:

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its the only guest opening that doesn't feel like the unfunny Simpson writers "punched it up" or had the guest sign off on a shallow caricature of their work. Look at the Del Toro or Banksy ones to see what I mean.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Yeah, Don Hertzfeldt owns and his opening feels very him. Don't have cow, man.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

this is just awful, and it probably cost more money than i'll ever see

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think I'm being trolled , I rewatched that couch gag and it's extremely irritating lol, i wish I hadn't rewatched it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i'm surprised they let him get away with it, really

i guess the showrunners didn't really get it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think you're missing the point, that couch gag is terrible, but we all know it was better than the rest of the episode

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Plan Z posted:

Gonna do a hot take here, but a good chunk of The Critic isn't that great. It might be just me, but as episodes go by in The Critic, the show more and more does the late-era Simpsons thing of "we wrote like five minutes of plot and need to fill the rest of this thing up." So there'll be someone saying one sentence, then do a non-sequitir monkeycheese joke or a cutaway gag, then say a sentence, then do a gag, and so on and so forth. On my last watch, I think the trucker and Desert Storm episodes were probably the biggest offenders that made me notice this. You'd have people start talking in a restaurant doing plot stuff, then after chaining together a bunch of cutaways and random gags, you'd be about 8 minutes along realizing that they only said a few sentences in that restaurant. Modern Simpsons does that a lot too, but instead of some funny gags like The Critic, they're these laboriously-long windups and post-scripts to really lame jokes. I still like The Critic and think it's fine, I've just started noticing common threads between it and the worse parts of the Simpsons every time I rewatch it.

There's a group of people that rip on the early Simpsons for using nothing but Harvard writers, but we also keep saying that those are the only good episodes so :shrug: maybe hiring people who graduate from a good school for writing may know what they're doing when it comes to writing.

I was trying to find a way to say something like this. You can see the seeds of the problems Jean would have in his second run pretty much from the start, but there was enough new material to explore and incredible writers to turn it into some of the best television ever. But even back in the 90's, Jean and Reiss episodes would run short and be padded out by full openings, longer couch gags, and stuff like tv show or movie parodies.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I think you're missing the point, that couch gag is terrible, but we all know it was better than the rest of the episode

except that it isn't terrible

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i'm surprised they let him get away with it, really

i guess the showrunners didn't really get it

It ate up two minutes of the show they don't have to write. I'm sure they're thrilled

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the hertzfeldt couch gag is good

esports magazine
Aug 23, 2019

"i am simpson. i am simpson. i am simpson." drat what comedic skill

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How many people who don’t like the Hertzfeldt couch gag don’t know who Hertzfeldt is I wonder

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

this is just awful, and it probably cost more money than i'll ever see
Don Hertzfeldt, famously high-budget animator

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i never thought i'd see the day when people on this forum hated on hertzfeldt. we deserve modern simpsons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Plan Z posted:

It's actually great, sorry you're poo poo

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

esports magazine posted:

It's her shattered brain trying to remember "you are Lisa Simpson"

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

we deserve modern simpsons.
let’s not say anything crazy

esports magazine
Aug 23, 2019

Sentient Data posted:

It's her shattered brain trying to remember "you are Lisa Simpson"

whats the punchline

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

esports magazine posted:

that's not the point, the animation is saying what everyone in this thread has been saying for 253 pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Well, even though that was unfunny and awful, it certainly wasn't the lowest point of the show

The New Orleans sequence is considerably worse imho