Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBC posted:

There's a first time for everything. Remember every liberal leader had always been PM at least once until stephen dion and michael ignatieff came along

I wonder how much of that was them being actually lovely leaders vs. Harper's custom-built Republican-inspired attack machine polluting the airwaves with poo poo like those "Just Visiting" ads and making people think they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

*when taking over from the other party. Pardon. Trudeau took the role with a majority, that has previously signaled he'll hold on at least one more cycle.

That's not like, an iron law of the world, it's just "governments tend to be reelected". Another way to say "every first term majority government since the 1930s has won a second mandate" is "Brian Mulroney and Jean Chrétien won a second mandate", and generalising from two instances isn't actually super helpful.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the NDP looks really uncredible this election, I won't be surprised if the Libs win a reduced majority.

Overall the NDP is really bad at messaging and making people aware of their platform. But there are some super radical candidates running across the country for the NDP:

Yvonne Hanson for Vancouver-Granville

Leah Gazan for Winnipeg Centre

Diana Yoon for Spadina-Fort York

There are some more probably but I'm lazy. Anyway if you are near these folks they could probably use your help!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It is really worth keeping in mind that academics and journalists face all kinds of pressure and one of the largest pressures they face is the need to present information in the socially legitimate fashion, which currently means having empirical data that can ideally be expressed in charts or tables. That creates a lot of temptation to go out and randomly count things so that you can claim to identify statistical regularities that can then be expressed in numerical form, because that is what "real" data looks like. Just check out Eric Grenier if you want a particularly sad example of someone doing really basic election punditry and then trying to dress it up in statistical models.

The problem is, you can count up all the majority governments that have been elected in Canada and then claim to have found statistical regularities (hey look, nobody who entered government with a working majority has ever lost the next election!) but there's no reason to think your sample is actually representative of something. Is a Canadian election from sixty years ago actually comparable to an election today? Are the available number of elections you're looking at actually a large enough sample size to be meaningfully analyzed? Authors often don't bother to ask that question because the real motivation for including the raw data is that it makes the written words appear more convincing. It's basically an aesthetic decision.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I'm enjoying that there is a piece that espouses "This election should be about more than which leader sucks."
Because as an Ontarian, I really don't know any other kind of election.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

thehoodie posted:

Overall the NDP is really bad at messaging and making people aware of their platform. But there are some super radical candidates running across the country for the NDP:

Yvonne Hanson for Vancouver-Granville

Leah Gazan for Winnipeg Centre

Diana Yoon for Spadina-Fort York

There are some more probably but I'm lazy. Anyway if you are near these folks they could probably use your help!

Breen Ouellette, Vancouver Centre

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Jessa MacLean (York-Simcoe) seemed more radical than the average NDPeep when I met her

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Like, doing sick half-pipe tricks?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just saw a Chinese lady handing out flyers for the People's Party.

Okay lady, let me know how that works out for you. :thunk:

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

infernal machines posted:

Like, doing sick half-pipe tricks?

No that's the other guy https://radicalwayne.tumblr.com/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Solid Gold

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

McGavin posted:

I can't believe the face-eating leopards would eat my face first, etc.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

It is really worth keeping in mind that academics and journalists face all kinds of pressure and one of the largest pressures they face is the need to present information in the socially legitimate fashion, which currently means having empirical data that can ideally be expressed in charts or tables. That creates a lot of temptation to go out and randomly count things so that you can claim to identify statistical regularities that can then be expressed in numerical form, because that is what "real" data looks like. Just check out Eric Grenier if you want a particularly sad example of someone doing really basic election punditry and then trying to dress it up in statistical models.

The problem is, you can count up all the majority governments that have been elected in Canada and then claim to have found statistical regularities (hey look, nobody who entered government with a working majority has ever lost the next election!) but there's no reason to think your sample is actually representative of something. Is a Canadian election from sixty years ago actually comparable to an election today? Are the available number of elections you're looking at actually a large enough sample size to be meaningfully analyzed? Authors often don't bother to ask that question because the real motivation for including the raw data is that it makes the written words appear more convincing. It's basically an aesthetic decision.

Yep, the best prediction I've seen so far is from norm's brother.

https://twitter.com/natnewswatch/status/1166286671047995393

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

McGavin posted:

there were like two dozen of them at Metrotown station a week ago.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Juul-Whip posted:

there were like two dozen of them at Metrotown station a week ago.

Proof that immigrants are stealing our jobs!

The amount of press that a party with like 1% of the projected vote is getting is unfathomable. CBC in particular can’t seem to shut the gently caress about them. Maybe the ndp needs their own batshit personality to stir the pot a little bit and get this type of coverage.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

nine-gear crow posted:

I wonder how much of that was them being actually lovely leaders vs. Harper's custom-built Republican-inspired attack machine polluting the airwaves with poo poo like those "Just Visiting" ads and making people think they were.

I mean, the "Just Visiting" part proved mostly accurate.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
This tweet continues to age well

https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/862734636543332352?s=19

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
A well thought out oped with this image inserted in the middle for some reason:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
this gem:

quote:

The Remain side tells Britons that a vote for exiting the EU is akin to choosing economic and political uncertainty. Voters are led to believe there’s no other option. They must accept the bureaucratic excesses of Brussels (which even the Remain supporters can’t defend) to avoid disruption, isolation and decline. It’s a profoundly negative and simplistic vision that just happens to be wrong..

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Why is that a gem, I dont understand.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Brexit has literally hosed the UK.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

Why is that a gem, I dont understand.

Because that’s exactly what happened

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Starks posted:

Proof that immigrants are stealing our jobs!

The amount of press that a party with like 1% of the projected vote is getting is unfathomable. CBC in particular can’t seem to shut the gently caress about them. Maybe the ndp needs their own batshit personality to stir the pot a little bit and get this type of coverage.

The NDP needs to become a right wing, pro-business party to get this type of coverage

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Remember that the Clinton campaign and mainstream liberal commentators were all salivating over the thought of Trump being the Republican nominee and in the case of the Clinton campaign they were actively trying to raise his profile in the media early in his primary campaign because they thought it was a brilliant way to ensure their victory. Even though its very bad for the country to foment these kinds of political forces it gives liberals (in the small l sense, not just the party itself) a great excuse to demand you keep supporting them even when they break their promises and govern terribly, because after all the opposite is worse.

There's a reason that the Reform party's appearance coincided with a hard right turn by the federal Liberals or why in America the Reagan revolution was quickly followed by Bill Clinton throwing labour under the bus and embracing High Finance. The more horrible your enemy the less room your own supporters have to challenge your authority or hold you accountable for your betrayals.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Juul-Whip posted:

Breen Ouellette, Vancouver Centre

Yeah he's dope too

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
https://twitter.com/cbcalerts/status/1166763259468353536?s=21

Stay safe Winnipeg goons

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

quote:

However, last week, Gen. Jonathan Vance, chief of defence staff, said the military had already been talking to Mathews about some of his viewpoints.

"In April he had undergone the first step of administrative response to his utterances. And thereafter, as I understand it, he decided to put in his release," Vance told reporters.

The military and RCMP are continuing to investigate his alleged ties to The Base, a hate group that seeks to gain military training to prepare for what they see as a coming race war. Posters for the group began popping up around Winnipeg in late July.

So the CF knew this guy was walking around expousing Neo-Nazi idelogies since April, at the earliest, and they didn't take any action to restrict him from anything military until he tendered his own loving resignation.

quote:

Mathews's boss described him as highly functional, a good worker and well read, but with some intellectual disabilities.

He said co-workers have heard him talk about some white nationalist ideologies, but they are shocked about his alleged involvement in a hate group, and no one would describe him as racist.

"People think he's a monster, but we've never seen that side of him," says Mathews's boss.

"If you know him, you'd feel more empathy because he does have challenges. If we would turn our backs on him, the last thing he needs to be doing is sitting at home on the internet."

The boss doesn't feel Mathews is capable of hurting himself or anyone else.

"My biggest concern is [that] I would like to hear some news, [to] know what's going on.

"Pat, if you're out there, please call your dad," the boss added.

gently caress off CBC

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
"He said co-workers have heard him talk about some white nationalist ideologies, but [...] no one would describe him as racist."

Either this is terrible 2+2=5 journalism or somebody should look in to those co-workers next

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"White nationalism isn't racism" - Manitobans, apparently

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
He's a reservist that's not capable of hurting other people? What do people do in the military these days?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://canadiandimension.com/articles/view/the-devastation-of-manitoba

Long read about what the PCs have done in Manitoba over the last four years and probably what Manitoba is facing more of over the next five years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

"White nationalism isn't racism" - Manitobans, apparently

There are a whole bunch of chuds that like that talking point.

Along side "I'm not a white supremacist, I didn't say whites were better, but race mixing is bad..."

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think people started saying that because they were forced to admit to being white nationalists to begin with, so they had to redefine what that meant. But it was good that they were confronted with that, at least.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
watching another country discover that yes, you can prorogue parliament whenever you like is kinda fun

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DariusLikewise posted:

That would be incredibly ironic given the fact that it's Ford that's killing Scheers chances of winning this election

I'm still mad he's not running this cycle, I wanted a Ford Bojo Trump summit

and whoever the worst person in Australian politics is

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dreylad posted:

watching another country discover that yes, you can prorogue parliament whenever you like is kinda fun

I will admit to a certain amount of meanspirited cackling earlier, yes.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Dreylad posted:

More specifically, whenever the Queen likes.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Dreylad posted:

It's crazy that it's so easy to break a system where most of the rules are based upon tradition and breaking the rules that are concrete and written down have no consequences until you have to run for re-election and even then

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

More specifically, whenever the Queen likes.

I mean the last time it happened in Britain, from what I understand, is that the king who did it whenever he liked got a pretty severe haircut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Was it 2008 when Harper lost a no confidence vote but it was a rider attached to another bill so it didn't count? Parliament is a mess.