Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TimWinter posted:

I had an eventful Thursday night when I found out my only computer with a GPU had a conflicting linux kernel and nvidia driver version.

Well to be accurate, I had an eventful Thursday night when I found out that the nvidia drivers weren't loading. Hours later when I found out the source of the issue it was just a sleepy, annoyed night.

I mean, it doesn't take that long to install W10 though? What did you spend the rest of the time doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TimWinter posted:

I had an eventful Thursday night when I found out my only computer with a GPU had a conflicting linux kernel and nvidia driver version.

Well to be accurate, I had an eventful Thursday night when I found out that the nvidia drivers weren't loading. Hours later when I found out the source of the issue it was just a sleepy, annoyed night.

next time check the log file and you will discover that immediately

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dhcpv6 is a hosed up mess and the actual useful v6 autoconfig protocols (rd, nd) were not well supported in linux until like five minutes ago

try updating the firmware

Yeah, firmware is current but apparently there are grumblings that it actually worked on older revs and then they broke it with a more current release. The whole thing should be native slaac and apparently from what I can see in the documentation their DHCPv6 option actually means slaac first then dhcpv6 as a failback. Which is what it seems to be doing, because the /64 is getting doled out the the lan. I just can't get it routed anywhere.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah, firmware is current but apparently there are grumblings that it actually worked on older revs and then they broke it with a more current release. The whole thing should be native slaac and apparently from what I can see in the documentation their DHCPv6 option actually means slaac first then dhcpv6 as a failback. Which is what it seems to be doing, because the /64 is getting doled out the the lan. I just can't get it routed anywhere.

if it makes you feel any better getting v6 working on my home equipment was also a nightmare

and then once i actually got it working i discovered browsing the internet is horrendously slow because ipv6 has terrible routing for most v6-enabled domains

so i ended up disabling ipv6 anyway

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
ive had ipv6 enabled on regular old comcast for like 5 years now and it never had a problem, sorry about your incompetence

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
legit question what do people use ipv6 for in a residential network?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
getting your traffic routed to and from the internet generally

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
oh so that's what I was doing wrong

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
it gets rid of bullshit like nat, port forwarding, stun servers and dynamic ip addresses

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
sometimes i like the enforced demarcation point of having a NAT with a gateway, especially in my house

i dont care if you give me a IPv6 at the router interface, im gonna nat it back to v4 RFC 1918 anyway.

and you better have a drat good CGN

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
accidental double.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sniep posted:

sometimes i like the enforced demarcation point of having a NAT with a gateway, especially in my house

i dont care if you give me a IPv6 at the router interface, im gonna nat it back to v4 RFC 1918 anyway.

and you better have a drat good CGN

the nating chokes throughput on gigabit fiber on every piece of home-grade gear I have ever seen even with cut through forwarding. Route those same packets without the nat over native v6 and you're pretty much at lan speeds in terms of cpu overhead. Any home router is going to have a default deny inbound rule for v6 traffic to keep the network boundary, but my company has over a half-million public ips to work with so I'm used to not seeing private ip space

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the nating chokes throughput on gigabit fiber on every piece of home-grade gear I have ever seen even with cut through forwarding. Route those same packets without the nat over native v6 and you're pretty much at lan speeds in terms of cpu overhead. Any home router is going to have a default deny inbound rule for v6 traffic to keep the network boundary, but my company has over a half-million public ips to work with so I'm used to not seeing private ip space

this is why i bought a ubnt doohickey to act as my home router

the firmware situation is very frustrating but it was cheap and it happily routes and nats at line speed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

good news though: media sucks and you are missing nothing by getting bottlenecked on the latest 4k stream from netflix of the latest trash show

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
just run your own plex server with enough media to last a lifetime obvs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

good news though: media sucks and you are missing nothing by getting bottlenecked on the latest 4k stream from netflix of the latest trash show

basically

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i got like 900+ from my asus tomato router with ctf but i enabled qos instead because i don't have gigabit anymore. you can basically only get the full gigabit from microsoft and steam anyway, maybe blizzard too. no need for speeds over 200 honestly

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I get full speed from steam too which is p deece
Although my connection is "only" 500 meg
e: you already said steam my bad

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

legit question what do people use ipv6 for in a residential network?

u get new public ip addresses every day so you can vandalize wikipedia with impunity

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

can you safely assume that an external hard drive will spin down when not in use now? or is it still a bit of a crapshoot?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the ones that spin anyway, yeah, default windows power settings make them do that after 20 minutes or something like that

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

in linux you can check what spindown time is set to with hdparm

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is there a way to make a website your background (so, like Active Desktop only not poo poo)? I'd love to have https://www.submarinecablemap.com/ up.

Shouldn't be clickable but it should update?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Maximum Leader posted:

i got like 900+ from my asus tomato router with ctf but i enabled qos instead because i don't have gigabit anymore. you can basically only get the full gigabit from microsoft and steam anyway, maybe blizzard too. no need for speeds over 200 honestly

yeah gigabit's probably most useful in a multi-tenant scenario

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Is there a way to make a website your background (so, like Active Desktop only not poo poo)? I'd love to have https://www.submarinecablemap.com/ up.

Shouldn't be clickable but it should update?

I've never used it but wallpaper engine should be able to do this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

no one needs more than 640kb

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Let's say I have three monitors: a 24" 16:10, 21.5" 75Hz, and an old 1280x1024. The 24" 16:10 is obviously the primary monitor, the 21.5" is a gaming monitor, and the 1280 is there for terminal windows and hooking up to Pis.

Is there a way to force games to launch on the 21.5" screen? Like an affinity setting or something? This seems like a dumb question that of course should be easy to do but I can't actually figure it out.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 4, 2019

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i think you have to set your gaming monitor as primary

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sniep posted:

BUY A SYNOh

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
fastboot breaks gsync? :psyduck:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hey why the gently caress would a user in the Local Administrators group not have file permissions to do something but BUILTIN\Administrator would

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
as far as i understand it BUILTIN\Administrator and BUILTIN\Administrators are treated specially by UAC.

Administrator (the user) always runs with max privileges. Anything you do, like running explorer.exe, runs with the maximum admin context and thus you can access anything that administrators can access.

For everyone else in the Administrators group, its different. They run in a reduced privilege mode most of the time and then require elevation to do admin stuff. Thats the UAC prompt.

When a member of the administrators group runs explorer, they're running it without that special admin token so they cant access stuff that the Administrators group has privileges on. If you were to elevate explorer.exe to run with admin creds you'd get your token and be able to access that stuff. However, Microsoft tries to prevent this and afaik it doesn't work.

So what will happen is you get a permission denied message and then a prompt to grant yourself privs. If you do that it will elevate via UAC, get your admin context, grant your specific user access, and then de-elevate. Then when you try to access its with your normal user level account which now has the access you just granted it.

There are a few ways to deal with it other than granting yourself specific access. You can access the folder via a network share. When you connect to a remote computer you bypass those UAC protections and go straight in with max privs. You can also create a different group (aka not BUILTIN\Administrators or another built in group) and give that group the access you want and then add your user to that group. Since its not a special group your normal user context will have that membership so you get access.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

honestly even streaming plex to gfs house
from mine and thru her wifi produces bits of such high quality most people couldn’t differentiate them from blu-dvd it’s incredible and mostly a testament to plex our friend

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

hey why the gently caress would a user in the Local Administrators group not have file permissions to do something but BUILTIN\Administrator would

If its not a super-sensitive/important file or directory then you can also modify the acls to either give your specific account modify or full control which will get rid of the need to elevate, or grant the entire users group those privs if you're feeling lazy. But yeah, it's what shaggar said

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If its not a super-sensitive/important file or directory then you can also modify the acls to either give your specific account modify or full control which will get rid of the need to elevate, or grant the entire users group those privs if you're feeling lazy. But yeah, it's what shaggar said

Oh ok right local Administrators isn't "do anything" it's "can elevate"

thanks

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

is there an airprint driver for Windows? every search result is for enabling airprint sharing of a printer from a Windows PC but I want the opposite

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I went to reschedule my Network+ exam for the second time and realized I was minutes into the 24-hour cutoff window, so looks like I'll be taking it tomorrow.
Any advice? Do I need to memorize the subnet tables or can I wing it?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

netwerk23 posted:

I went to reschedule my Network+ exam for the second time and realized I was minutes into the 24-hour cutoff window, so looks like I'll be taking it tomorrow.
Any advice? Do I need to memorize the subnet tables or can I wing it?

this is a joke right

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a joke right

I've read a couple study guides and watched a bunch of Messer videos. Not a joke - been a CJ long enough to already know pretty much every concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

netwerk23 posted:

I've read a couple study guides and watched a bunch of Messer videos. Not a joke - been a CJ long enough to already know pretty much every concept.

i am sorry it was not a joke. but now that i know you were serious... well i have good news and bad news

good news: a blind mule could pass network+ just by mashing buttons with his nose. you're not going to have any problems there

bad news: for related reasons, network+ is completely worthless as a credential