Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Mr Teatime posted:

Is there trick to thinning scale 75 metallics that I'm missing? I love the colours but I'm struggling between too thick leaving brush strokes or too thin and getting zero coverage.
Not really, just shake them for longer than you think you have to, and thin them a slightly. They go from thick to way too thin very quickly.

Thanqol posted:

Can I get some advice?

I've done a whole bunch of Combined miniatures in this colour scheme and have no idea what to do for the bases.

I'd go for busted tiles with some dead grass, and a few spots of bright grass. Maybe weirdly colored grass for the bright stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Thanqol posted:

Can I get some advice?

I've done a whole bunch of Combined miniatures in this colour scheme and have no idea what to do for the bases.

I feel like a warmer color base would really complement these, if you’re looking for general color suggestions. Something like a red/orange clay or desert scheme.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Which thread recently had the chart of a half-dozen different OSL bases to do with Mordant Earth technical crackle paint?

Maybe try one of them?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ceebees posted:

Which thread recently had the chart of a half-dozen different OSL bases to do with Mordant Earth technical crackle paint?

Maybe try one of them?

I linked it originally in the 40k thread, should've probably linked it here too. :shobon:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I think I'm doing the "Slaaneshi Powers" base for my new Shasvastii.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Haven't posted in a while, but this is my most recent project. Mostly done.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 28, 2019

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Cooked Auto posted:

I linked it originally in the 40k thread, should've probably linked it here too. :shobon:

Any idea what's meant by crack pattern?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

Any idea what's meant by crack pattern?

Yeah, how you paint the underlayers. Crack pattern is probably squiggly lines of the different colors.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
So you're underlaying and then the Mordant Earth will retract and reveal them?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

EvilBeard posted:

Yes

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

EvilBeard posted:

A good example for that is the Volcanic Base tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH5C6_TxPr8

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Has anyone tried the Wraith Bone (or Grey Seer) contrast spray on a Reaper Bones mini? Does it ever fully dry?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I think once I finish the lenses, make the grenades red, and do some touch up the turret will be done.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cooked Auto posted:

fyi, don't buy that, buy this and add your own color to it

https://www.amazon.com/FolkArt-Medi...925118046&psc=1

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think once I finish the lenses, make the grenades red, and do some touch up the turret will be done.

This is looking really good.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Unoriginal Name posted:

Has anyone tried the Wraith Bone (or Grey Seer) contrast spray on a Reaper Bones mini? Does it ever fully dry?

Someone told me the reaper bones plastic doesnt react well to most spray propellants, so that could be the problem? Reaper say they dont need primed at all, but having painted a couple I feel this is a terrible lie.

Surprisingly Bitter
Oct 10, 2008

JBP posted:

I think this looks awesome, it's really clean. Have you thought about weathering it up? Also I like doing double washes on metal then one super thin highlight of bright metal/silver on the sharp bits. I don't know if that's going to make it darker than you want but it'll really show up your colours and bits like the head of you brighten it. I always struggle figuring out how to brighten up big panels with highlights because I end up painting everything to look like a Gundam.

I've honestly never weathered anything before, but I probably should, after adding chaos symbols and such. I'll run another wash over the metal and give that a shot, I think that sounds like a really good idea.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Thanqol posted:

Can I get some advice?

I get some real Protos from Starcraft or Covenant from Halo vibes from these figures, especially the large muscled one covered in interlocking plates. It might be neat to do bases with some alien architecture that mirrors the curving geometry of the big guy's armor using some thin polystyrene cut into different patterned seams. This would require removing the painted minis from their bases though.

Something like the connected plate texture used as the normal maps on these 3d models:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ebwZX

Propitious Jerk fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 29, 2019

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I finished Ironsoul's Comdemnors for Warhammer Underworlds.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is there somewhere you can see what paints are recommended for a mini before you buy it and can read the back of the box? I'm looking to start trying out Citadel paints, but it'd be nice if I knew to buy X, Y, and Z paints at the same time I'm buying a mini online.

I know the painting app does a great job of this, but that of course only covers a small fraction of the models out there.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is there somewhere you can see what paints are recommended for a mini before you buy it and can read the back of the box? I'm looking to start trying out Citadel paints, but it'd be nice if I knew to buy X, Y, and Z paints at the same time I'm buying a mini online.

I know the painting app does a great job of this, but that of course only covers a small fraction of the models out there.

For the most part faction colours are generally the same in warhammer so if you find a unit in the app for the same faction chances are itll be the same colours (except maybe small details like plasma coils). You can also see the warhammer channel on youtube for official paint schemes and techniques

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

they usually have recommended colors on the back of the box (if you're referring to GW minis). Others, you'd have to look up.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Warhammer TV on youtube has a ton of colorschemes and guides, and always tells what paints to use.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Thanks for the tips.

I'm surprised that GW just doesn't list all paints needed on the product page of every product. Would be a great help, and could only lead to more sales. Hell, they should have a one-click "Buy All Colors" button on each product page, with a little dropdown to choose whether you want just the basic shades for a table ready mini, or all the additional tints as well to make it a show piece.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Thanks for the tips.

I'm surprised that GW just doesn't list all paints needed on the product page of every product. Would be a great help, and could only lead to more sales. Hell, they should have a one-click "Buy All Colors" button on each product page, with a little dropdown to choose whether you want just the basic shades for a table ready mini, or all the additional tints as well to make it a show piece.
i’d be surprised if anyone doing not their first ever model would need to Buy All

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Buy ALL.

Now!

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Does anyone know of any good weird/alien plants for basing? I'm doing an alien desert theme and have some crystals but kinda want something more organic. Open to building or buying.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

fish tank plants are plentiful and cheap. a quick dry brush makes them look good

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Somebody on here used tufts painted with neon colors on top of a Martian red base for a demon world theme. It looked really good.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Y'all I'm at ReaperCon. This hobby has consumed me. My life has spiraled out of control.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018

Two Headed Calf posted:

Does anyone know of any good weird/alien plants for basing? I'm doing an alien desert theme and have some crystals but kinda want something more organic. Open to building or buying.

Reaper Bones has a couple alien plants, plus other stuff that looks suitably plant like. I did this stuff from their dragon plants, shoggoths, and giant worms.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Two Headed Calf posted:

The GW basing plants are honestly pretty good if you paint them exotic colors.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Does anyone recognise this mini? I picked up a box of assorted bits and pieces online and it had ten of these dwarf bear riders - there is a little baggie with heads and armour plates for all of them so it either shipped that way or someone snipped them off the sprue and sealed them up. I thought perhaps it was one of the Scibor ones, but their bear heads seem shorter and I can't see a match for the armour. There are five axe arms and five hammer arms, so I can only assume it came in a box of ten?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Does anyone recognise this mini? I picked up a box of assorted bits and pieces online and it had ten of these dwarf bear riders - there is a little baggie with heads and armour plates for all of them so it either shipped that way or someone snipped them off the sprue and sealed them up. I thought perhaps it was one of the Scibor ones, but their bear heads seem shorter and I can't see a match for the armour. There are five axe arms and five hammer arms, so I can only assume it came in a box of ten?

Mantic Games Berserker Brock Rider.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So I just finished painting a miniature for the first time in ~8 years (and I wasn't prolific or good then). Presenting: the test run for my Slaaneshi Chaos Warriors.

It's nothing special, but I'm unduly proud of him for a first effort from a neophyte painter. I think if you choose the right paints - knowing which ones are very light and unpigmented VS darker and bolder - contrasts really are a miracle for people like me who have a very poor grasp on stuff like thinning that's second nature to pros.

I may actually get a finished Warhammer army that I'm actually proud of on the table at my LGS. That's wild.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
And yes, that mold line on the underside of his left horn pisses me off as much as it does the paint wizards itt

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
First time painter, long time lurker. I like building scale models sometimes and I've been looking for a way to practice painting them without ruining a $50 model. A friend of mine is into Warhammer 40k and gave me a few throwaway soldiers to slather some paint on. I even managed to get distinguishable pupils on the soldier! These are basic as hell compared to most of what comes through this thread, but I had fun with these could see myself getting into this.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Going for a "Physician, heal thyself" thing, eh?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Been slacking off, but I made some progress on the Blood Angels today:

Trying to get all the little details like the ropes and gems is really stressful. Thinning the paint has been something of a crapshoot. With the Zandri Dust, I've had to be careful about the amount of water, lest it starts flooding off the ropes.

The more frustrating task has been doing the metallics. I don't know if it's that I don't know how to thin metallics, or that the color I'm using (Vallejo Game Color: Silver) is just sort of crappy, but it seems impossible to thin. It seems like it's either to thick and I have to drab it on carefully, or it's too thin and goes on like watery glitter. It seems to stick in the brush more than it does on the mini.

As far as color choices go, I picked VGC Silver because 1.) I thought it would make a good undercoat for the Retributor Armor gold, and 2.) the silver color seemed more fitting to the Blood Angels than VGC Gunmetal.

-

On a plus note, I more-or-less finished the Redemptor Dreadnought a while back, and I did some okay on this (still unfinished) Ultramarine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

So I just finished painting a miniature for the first time in ~8 years (and I wasn't prolific or good then). Presenting: the test run for my Slaaneshi Chaos Warriors.

It's nothing special, but I'm unduly proud of him for a first effort from a neophyte painter. I think if you choose the right paints - knowing which ones are very light and unpigmented VS darker and bolder - contrasts really are a miracle for people like me who have a very poor grasp on stuff like thinning that's second nature to pros.

I may actually get a finished Warhammer army that I'm actually proud of on the table at my LGS. That's wild.

No unduly. That's a great result for someone just returning to the hobby - hell, it's better than some of my paintjobs as I keep rolling. It's a dark impression but if that's the idea then you nailed it - brooding Slaaneshi in the colour of luxury rather than hyper-neon is a neat way to go.