Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BobbyThompson is a low-effort UK troll, please ignore his weird casual chuckle about mass murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

BobbyThompson is a low-effort UK troll, please ignore his weird casual chuckle about mass murder.

That's me told.

Peace comrade.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BobbyThompson posted:

I visited Japan last month and drove to Hiroshima to do the pay my respects thing.

The way the peace museum approaches the horror of it all is humbling. No denial of Japan's actions and a complete want to never let nuclear weapons be used again.

When you see how integrated the history of the bomb is in education, from primary school level up and you listen to the multiple stories of children with their skin melting off them, at no point does the experience attempt blame on the US.

It is all about it never loving happening again.

One of the many things I love and respect about Japan.

Also, battery vending machines.

It's cool how you somehow managed to imply both 1) the use of nuclear weapons against Japan was good and 2) there is no ww2 revisionism in Japan in one post.

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

mystes posted:

It's cool how you somehow managed to imply both 1) the use of nuclear weapons against Japan was good and 2) there is no ww2 revisionism in Japan in one post.

Actually, I was rather taken aback by how much the place referenced how Japan entered the war in such an ashamed of their actions way.

The museum is like WTC in depth of explanation, but doesn't touch on blaming the people who dropped the bomb, just focuses on the horror of it all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BobbyThompson posted:

Actually, I was rather taken aback by how much the place referenced how Japan entered the war in such an ashamed of their actions way.

To put it kindly, it’s a nice exception to the norm in terms of how the war is treated.

The longer answer runs the gamut, but at best, the common teaching of WWII looks over how Japan entered the war, those motivations, and actions taken during. At worst, you get right-wingers denying things happened and using the nuclear attacks to say they were the one true victim.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I keep seeing in Japanese media about how the "bubble" period of the 1980s had the average Japanese person live substantially better than they do today. Is that true, or has Japan mostly just stagnated since the '90s rather than decline?

Well the "here is our investment guidelines" broken into 10 year chunks over the past 30 years indicates the economy basically imploded and then just kind of flatlined. I can't say if socially or any other metric, but from a pure economic growth standpoint, yes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Barudak posted:

Well the "here is our investment guidelines" broken into 10 year chunks over the past 30 years indicates the economy basically imploded and then just kind of flatlined. I can't say if socially or any other metric, but from a pure economic growth standpoint, yes.

I see. What about quality of life like wages and such? I mean. The American economy has largely grow. Since the eighties, but quality of life has remained stagnant or even has declined.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

prisoner of waffles posted:

It's a phenomenon noted by Japanese commentators that major outlets in U.S. media do like to run with articles and narratives that exoticize Japan.

The book I recall was named 笑われる日本人

The Japanese like to exoticise Japan all the time, so much stuff that is "unique to Japan" that is, at best, merely not common in the USA or whatever single country they are comparing themselves to.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. What about quality of life like wages and such? I mean. The American economy has largely grow. Since the eighties, but quality of life has remained stagnant or even has declined.

If you're comparing by age then everyone born post 1969 or so is hosed compared to the equivalent aged person in the 80s, and this has been true for their entire working life. Older people have had a whale of a time though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Seems like Gen X got hosed pretty badly, but the Baby Boomers were also politically disenfranchised in Japan for a long time. They got to enjoy the postwar economy but if you compare the first Boomer president in the US was Bill Clinton in 92, in the UK Blair in 97, in Japan the first Boomer PM was our buddy Abe in 2006 and then only for a year before going back to shriveled old men Fukuda and Aso. Japanese politics in the 90s and 00s was pretty much still all guys born well before the war. Ozawa and Koizumi were born in 42, so they sort of half count.

Economically speaking though things seem to be better for millenials than Gen X, at least for the ones with regular employment

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Japan-s-optimistic-millennials-shed-frugal-habits-and-lift-spending

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Maybe this is why Japan isn't undergoing as much populism as the West, because things are improving for the youth?

What's Japan's secret?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Maybe this is why Japan isn't undergoing as much populism as the West, because things are improving for the youth?

What's Japan's secret?

That plus the rural middle/petty-capitalist class continuing to be extremely well taken care of by the LDP

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's Japan's secret?

Can't have populist xenophobia surge if there are no immigrants and your country's already xenophobic in the first place.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

That plus the rural middle/petty-capitalist class continuing to be extremely well taken care of by the LDP

How so?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Because the LDP heavily subsidizes farmers, construction contractors, and small shopkeepers. Not as much as 30 years ago, but still more than probably any other first world country

Chuka Umana posted:

Can't have populist xenophobia surge if there are no immigrants and your country's already xenophobic in the first place.

Japan had a populist xenophobia surge 20 years ago though, with people like Ishihara and Koizumi and Abe version 1

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Aren't more immigrants coming to Japan though? I saw a fair share of Nigerians and Indians at my stay in Tokyo.

icantfindaname posted:

Because the LDP heavily subsidizes farmers, construction contractors, and small shopkeepers. Not as much as 30 years ago, but still more than probably any other first world country

I see.

mystes
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's Japan's secret?
There aren't enough immigrants, and the existing mainstream ldp isn't pro-immigration enough, for a populist xenophobic movement to turn out voters, so instead you just get silly populist people like Tachibana.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It also helps that GDP per capita has been increasing during the last two decades, even if overall GDP has not. Such is the magic of a shrinking population.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah, I didn't want to jump to conclusions, but when I visited Tokyo, it came across that the average Japanese person had a higher quality of life than the average American.

mystes
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah, I didn't want to jump to conclusions, but when I visited Tokyo, it came across that the average Japanese person had a higher quality of life than the average American.
Well, the economy is stagnant and tons of people now have no hope of getting permanent, full time jobs ever, so they're never going to be able to retire, but on the other hand, having a functioning health care system helps a lot.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 20, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

mystes posted:

Well, the economy is stagnant and tons of people now have no hope of getting permanent, full time jobs ever, so they're never going to be able to retire, but on the other hand, having a functioning health care system helps a lot.

I legit thought you were talking about America until you brought up healthcare.

mystes
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I legit thought you were talking about America until you brought up healthcare.
Also, the government is screwing over poor people by raising the consumption tax to pay for entitlements, which is a bit different than US politics, where the Republicans want to cut benefits but also at least pretend to cut taxes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Where is Japanese Bernie?

mystes posted:

Also, the government is screwing over poor people by raising the consumption tax to pay for entitlements, which is a bit different than US politics, where the Republicans want to cut benefits but also at least pretend to cut taxes.

Okay that is crazy stupid.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Aren't more immigrants coming to Japan though? I saw a fair share of Nigerians and Indians at my stay in Tokyo.

Roughly 4% of the population living in Japan is foreign-born, and at least half of that are from other parts of Asia. Tokyo skews that because it's Tokyo.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

harperdc posted:

Roughly 4% of the population living in Japan is foreign-born, and at least half of that are from other parts of Asia. Tokyo skews that because it's Tokyo.

Does that number include internationally born Japanese?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

ocrumsprug posted:

Does that number include internationally born Japanese?

The number is likely a pure nationality stat with an exception for _special_ permanent residents, so an internationally born Japanese would be counted as Japanese and not "foreign-born".

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Welp

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Yeah, this dumbass tax thing first came to my attention when a family member told me about higher regressive taxes in Japan and how some guy was mentioned in some article they’d read as an American expert on opposing such taxes.

Arthur Laffer :stonk:

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

Where is Japanese Bernie?
It's like "how will you pay for that" :smug: except you suck through your teeth until your lungs explode and you die.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

It's like "how will you pay for that" :smug: except you suck through your teeth until your lungs explode and you die.
MMT has gotten a ton of attention lately, although the mainstream coverage has been negative.

I think it's possible that a "screw Abe, let's stop worrying about the debt" platform would work because people are tired of regressive taxes and austerity.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Abe’s been on a what? 5 year game of chicken? Of raising the sales tax to 10%?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Japan sounds worse than America in regards to this.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

harperdc posted:

To put it kindly, it’s a nice exception to the norm in terms of how the war is treated.

The longer answer runs the gamut, but at best, the common teaching of WWII looks over how Japan entered the war, those motivations, and actions taken during. At worst, you get right-wingers denying things happened and using the nuclear attacks to say they were the one true victim.

I thought it was very interesting that Radhabinod Pal's dissent (basically that the A-level war crimes defendants were just "playing the imperialism game" / that punishing them was victor's justice and could not be justified by a legal principle, IIUC) apparently has made him very popular with right wingers in Japan but, in retrospect, it's unsurprising.

ookiimarukochan posted:

The Japanese like to exoticise Japan all the time, so much stuff that is "unique to Japan" that is, at best, merely not common in the USA or whatever single country they are comparing themselves to.

Also entirely true.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The one thing I like about USA and Western Europe is that they are so much more readily to admit their war crimes, at least relatively to other countries.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

The one thing I like about USA and Western Europe is that they are so much more readily to admit their war crimes, at least relatively to other countries.
What the gently caress are you talking about

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

I thought it was very interesting that Radhabinod Pal's dissent (basically that the A-level war crimes defendants were just "playing the imperialism game" / that punishing them was victor's justice and could not be justified by a legal principle, IIUC) apparently has made him very popular with right wingers in Japan but, in retrospect, it's unsurprising.

I haven’t been in a while so I’m not sure if it’s still there but at Yasukuni Shrine there’s a little kiosk board where you can get a free copy of Pal’s dissent. Yasukuni is a pretty beautiful place. Too bad it’s wacko central.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that’s a big old nope there chief.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that’s a big old nope there chief.

Germany is basically the only country that really faces its past crimes well. Japan is middle of the road in that regard, worse about it than Germany but better about it than Turkey.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

punk rebel ecks posted:

There's more than one kind of person in these countries and plenty of them refuse to countenance the idea that anyone from their country could have ever done a war crime (or maybe they did but "it was justified for *X reason that is not materially different from racism*")

Chomsky will not just admit but argue that the US does war crimes but he's not representative of people who hold power

Or is this :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

There's more than one kind of person in these countries and plenty of them refuse to countenance the idea that anyone from their country could have ever done a war crime (or maybe they did but "it was justified for *X reason that is not materially different from racism*")

Chomsky will not just admit but argue that the US does war crimes but he's not representative of people who hold power

Or is this :thejoke:

IIRC doesn't a majority of the Japanese public and government severely downplay or not even acknowledge their war crimes during WWII?