Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

I expect contrition from pro opposition leftist academics any day now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I expect contrition from pro opposition leftist academics any day now

jacobin hasnt published a pro opposition article in a while come to think of it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Al! posted:

jacobin hasnt published a pro opposition article in a while come to think of it

I was gonna ask which country's opposition, but why bother.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

In the face of this, the Left should embrace the call for free and fair elections in Venezuela. Failure to do so is a failure to promote the principle of self-determination.

- jacobin, lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It seems like one of the biggest issues with the logic of people like the ones who post in The Other Thread (though this is an issue throughout all mainstream media, etc) is that they're incapable of understanding that, using their reasoning, you can create a basis for overthrowing the government of almost every poorer country on the planet. To them, showing that there's any unjust and/or undemocratic behavior in a country (or any harm that can't be 100% proven to be caused by the US or external forces) is sufficient to make the argument that its government should be deposed, but you will be extremely hard pressed to come up with a single country where you can't come up with a list of crimes and abuses its government has committed (and by "be hard pressed" I mean it's literally impossible). But these people have been trained to deflect any attempt to put things in context as "whataboutism." You can't talk about how their logic can be applied to every poor country on the planet, because that's "whataboutism." Heck, you could apply it to the United States.

This is a large part of how these idiots end up with distorted worldviews. Not only do they often assign credibility to sources in deeply questionable ways, but they don't realize how the media can manipulate them through simply selectively focusing on the things that are convenient for the US government.

The worst part is how condescending they are while being destructive idiots. It's seriously the absolute worst, and is the reason why I very rarely read or post in the other thread.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's almost like most of lib propaganda is built on blaming poor countries for being poor

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

what about instead of maduro its umadbro and vuneuzula invades america to free it from the capitalists

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like one of the biggest issues with the logic of people like the ones who post in The Other Thread (though this is an issue throughout all mainstream media, etc) is that they're incapable of understanding that, using their reasoning, you can create a basis for overthrowing the government of almost every poorer country on the planet. To them, showing that there's any unjust and/or undemocratic behavior in a country (or any harm that can't be 100% proven to be caused by the US or external forces) is sufficient to make the argument that its government should be deposed, but you will be extremely hard pressed to come up with a single country where you can't come up with a list of crimes and abuses its government has committed (and by "be hard pressed" I mean it's literally impossible). But these people have been trained to deflect any attempt to put things in context as "whataboutism." You can't talk about how their logic can be applied to every poor country on the planet, because that's "whataboutism." Heck, you could appl8y it to the United States.

This is a large part of how these idiots end up with distorted worldviews. Not only do they often assign credibility to sources in deeply questionable ways, but they don't realize how the media can manipulate them through simply selectively focusing on the things that are convenient for the US government.

The worst part is how condescending they are while being destructive idiots. It's seriously the absolute worst, and is the reason why I very rarely read or post in the other thread.

Wow look at this maduro death squad apologist

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Be careful or the thread cop will roll in to yell at you for posting anything but Maduro Bad

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I wonder if you could get them to line up behind invading some famous first world country (bonus points if you can make it the USA) just by cherry picking statistics that make it look like it's in crisis.

Hell, what are American police if not slightly inefficient death squads? Got plenty of hungry people here too!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

WampaLord posted:

I wonder if you could get them to line up behind invading some famous first world country (bonus points if you can make it the USA) just by cherry picking statistics that make it look like it's in crisis.

Hell, what are American police if not slightly inefficient death squads? Got plenty of hungry people here too!

The US is too easy to do that with. Baby difficulty.

Concentration camps. 1 out of every hundred people in jail. fraudulent elections. In 2000 the brother of the future president used executive fiat to override the vote and install him. Currency manipulation. HyperInflation. Security forces gunning people down in the street. Laws banning protests against the regime.

Its too easy

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
noninterventionism is the new white mans burden

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Salean posted:

what about instead of maduro its umadbro

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Salean posted:

what about instead of maduro its umadbro and vuneuzula invades america to free it from the capitalists

call of duty: ghosts

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ikanreed posted:

The US is too easy to do that with. Baby difficulty.

Concentration camps. 1 out of every hundred people in jail. fraudulent elections. In 2000 the brother of the future president used executive fiat to override the vote and install him. Currency manipulation. HyperInflation. Security forces gunning people down in the street. Laws banning protests against the regime.

Its too easy

https://youtu.be/0JFgxnWVBL4

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Not exactly thread relevant l, but I think I found out where the energy that was going to Venezuela will now be directed

https://twitter.com/JimfromBC/status/1166550191832330240?s=19

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!

I stand for four-square justice. No black magic. No bounce backs. You break the rules, I break you.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

this thread goes in on some of the people spreading the #SOSBolivia stuff. Seems like a similar social media campaign directed at English speaking audiences like what targeted Venezuela and Nicaragua.

https://twitter.com/OLAASM/status/1166384558754926593?s=20
https://twitter.com/OLAASM/status/1166386587208495109?s=20
https://twitter.com/OLAASM/status/1166140816986988546?s=20

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/MKarnitschnig/status/1165907518125748225

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Feel bad for Boots, trying to use facts and logic against these people

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Not exactly thread relevant l, but I think I found out where the energy that was going to Venezuela will now be directed

https://twitter.com/JimfromBC/status/1166550191832330240?s=19

evo the goat

https://twitter.com/VOANews/status/1166510899705856000

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

he really should focus on fighting fires in bolivia, not california

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/KarlCascia/status/1166944200039907328

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Killing rich people, saving the forests, and fighting against american imperialism. Does it get any better?

from now on whenever someone asks who they should donate to save the rainforest I will always reply FARC.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you dont live in colombia you cant donate directly but you can still help farc by buying out some of their "merch" wink

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One of the most insane takes I've seen from this whole thing has to be "this Venezuelan says racism isn't a thing in Venezuela, and it's paternalistic of you to claim it is." I could maybe understand giving some weight to that if the person in question was a black/dark-skinned Venezuelan (though I still wouldn't take it as some kind of gospel), but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's probably not the case in 99.9% of these situations (because if it was, the people in question would probably mention it). Like, jesus christ, it is not reasonable for your default assumption to ever be "racism isn't a thing unless you can prove it to me," especially in a region of the world with a long history of racial tensions.

There's nothing you can really say against the logic of "this ex-pat says a thing, and you can't contest it unless you're also living in that country." It's utter lunacy on its face, and it's scary to see because it makes you realize that these gullible fucks could be manipulated into virtually anything; all you need is a literal handful of voices from the target country. It seriously disgusts me to see progressive language used to justify this sort of thing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's the same gaslighting southernors use here.

"We don't have those racial problems down here like the Yankees do up north. They're projecting their own problems with black people on our southern way of life, stirring up trouble and trying to put one race against the other."

The same people in that thread are saying the real imperialism and paternalism is not carpet bombing the global south and installing US puppet governments.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

It's the same gaslighting southernors use here.

"We don't have those racial problems down here like the Yankees do up north. They're projecting their own problems with black people on our southern way of life, stirring up trouble and trying to put one race against the other."

The same people in that thread are saying the real imperialism and paternalism is not carpet bombing the global south and installing US puppet governments.

Hey, they're not supporting US intervention. They just think it's wrong to oppose US intervention and insist that Maduro be removed by external forces! It's also a total coincidence that they never speak out against people who support US sanctions/intervention and focus 100% of their negative attention on leftists who oppose it.

Also, the majority of Venezuelans who appear to oppose US sanctions? Fake news. This SA poster is 100% sure that all the people in Venezuela agree with him, and you're denying his lived experience if you don't agree with everything he says.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Hey, they're not supporting US intervention. They just think it's wrong to oppose US intervention and insist that Maduro be removed by external forces! It's also a total coincidence that they never speak out against people who support US sanctions/intervention and focus 100% of their negative attention on leftists who oppose it.

Also, the majority of Venezuelans who appear to oppose US sanctions? Fake news. This SA poster is 100% sure that all the people in Venezuela agree with him, and you're denying his lived experience if you don't agree with everything he says.

so are you gonna continue arguing with yourself and a strawman on this thread or are you gonna bother to respond with something about things I’ve actually said lol.

also loving lmao at any of you fuckers crying about violence and disappearances and atrocities from a still non existent American invasion yet raving the return of paramilitaries to Colombia. hell yeah those farmers getting limbs torn off from land mines are gonna love it. couldn’t get more hypocritical if you tried. same poo poo you’re accusing me of.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
hey fnox, tell me more about how those dirty chavista rats need to be exterminated without remorse while you sit safely away in loving sweden

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fnox posted:

also loving lmao at any of you fuckers crying about violence and disappearances and atrocities from a still non existent American invasion yet raving the return of paramilitaries to Colombia. hell yeah those farmers getting limbs torn off from land mines are gonna love it. couldn’t get more hypocritical if you tried. same poo poo you’re accusing me of.

farc yeah baby lets go mets love da mets

fnox
May 19, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

hey fnox, tell me more about how those dirty chavista rats need to be exterminated without remorse while you sit safely away in loving sweden

no problem bro we can chat it out, you can talk to me about how those civilians getting carbombed in Bogota really got what was coming to them

fnox
May 19, 2013

you fuckers said you don’t have money to donate to feed Venezuelans but you’ve got money to donate to the loving FARC?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
tired: people being carbombed in colombia
wired: people being burned alive in venezuela for being blackchavistas
inspired: the filthy lefty scum being herded to the camps where they belong loving smash their skulls with sledgehammers hail guaido im so loving close just give me the loving war

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

fnox posted:

you fuckers said you don’t have money to donate to feed Venezuelans but you’ve got money to donate to the loving FARC?

nah mate, i said wouldn't be donating to a catholic charity to prove myself to your entitled rear end. about a year back

fnox
May 19, 2013

Kurnugia posted:

nah mate, i said wouldn't be donating to a catholic charity to prove myself to your entitled rear end. about a year back

ok donate to the Red Cross then? do I also got to find the charities for you or is it that much of a hassle to open a new tab, it’s been a loving year and this is still your excuse?

Cerebral Bore posted:

tired: people being carbombed in colombia
wired: people being burned alive in venezuela for being blackchavistas
inspired: the filthy lefty scum being herded to the camps where they belong loving smash their skulls with sledgehammers hail guaido im so loving close just give me the loving war

are you sure you’re not hallucinating

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fnox posted:

are you sure you’re not hallucinating

yea, i think i was possessed by a lib interventionist for a moment there sorry bout that

also fnox aren't you one of them guys who's super adamant that maduro will never ever let aid into the country, so what good do you think donating to charity is going to do exactly

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh my, please find the charity for me i cant possibly keep posting if you dont uhh, do that google search

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

Kurnugia posted:

oh my, please find the charity for me i cant possibly keep posting if you dont uhh, do that google search

it’s a poo poo excuse bruv

Cerebral Bore posted:

yea, i think i was possessed by a lib interventionist for a moment there sorry bout that

also fnox aren't you one of them guys who's super adamant that maduro will never ever let aid into the country, so what good do you think donating to charity is going to do exactly

he didn’t until April 2019, for nearly 7 years of crisis he didn’t let anyone bring aid. now he’s letting the Red Cross in, and they’re severely underfunded, so help them out.

if you’re skeptical look them up at @cruzrojave, they have accountability on everything they’re doing.