Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I played Skyrim VR with the Move controls last night and...there is more of a learning curve than i anticipated. Bow aiming in particular is way more adjustable than I anticipated. I didn't realize the rotation of the controller would adjust the heading of the bow. Having to actually look down the shaft of the arrow to aim owns though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Pyrotoad posted:

Why the hell would I go with Ralof?

For someone going into it cold and not knowing anything about the Stormcloaks, I think "didn't just try to execute me" would still win over those things. Especially playing as a Nord.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Luceo posted:

For someone going into it cold and not knowing anything about the Stormcloaks, I think "didn't just try to execute me" would still win over those things. Especially playing as a Nord.

I went into it cold and still chose Hadvar :colbert:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Pyrotoad posted:

I went into it cold and still chose Hadvar :colbert:

I mean, sure, people can choose Hadvar, but you acted like there was no reason to choose Ralof. Like gently caress man those other guys were trying to chop my head off

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Luceo posted:

First time I played, I didn't realize there was a choice and followed Hadvar.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It also makes Lokir significantly less whiny and more badass, but at the cost of Richard Epcar's :discourse: performance as Chickenshit Lokir, because he apparently had a completely different VA at some point in Skyrim's development.

I just want to say that I think its nice that people out there are appreciatiating the little roles, and I'm sure the VAs do too, cos I must have spent like an hour or more combined in Lokir's company but have never given him a second thought. (OK I do wish the arrows would miss sometimes)

Also, about two years back in this thread or similar, there are pages and pages devoted to good buddy Ralof adventures, so he's got that going for him.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
It feels like it flirts dangerously close to weird head canon territory, but I will cop to siding with Ralof in the intro and flipping to Imperial in the civil war quest line because it's the only thing which makes any sort of reasonable sense in context.

An alternative option to say to hell with both them would be nice. You can just not do the civil war quest line I guess, but then you have to do the ceasefire treaty detour in the main quest which is tedious and cringe worthy as all hell.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I've started switching over to SE modding since it feels pretty overdue. There's a weird camera thing in first person where the camera keeps moving for about half a second after I move, then snaps back to where I am. It's super disorienting and really putting me off. Any ideas what's causing it/fixes for it?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Panty Saluter posted:

I played Skyrim VR with the Move controls last night and...there is more of a learning curve than i anticipated. Bow aiming in particular is way more adjustable than I anticipated. I didn't realize the rotation of the controller would adjust the heading of the bow. Having to actually look down the shaft of the arrow to aim owns though

Vr makes it so much harder to not just machine gun everyone in your way, even iron arrows pack a punch if you fire off 30 of them

There are some mods that make combat more lethal, so one or two hits by a strong enemy kill you even at a high level. That brings some suspense back into the fight.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah I'm playing on novice rn because I'm not very good with these controls :v:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

timn posted:

It feels like it flirts dangerously close to weird head canon territory, but I will cop to siding with Ralof in the intro and flipping to Imperial in the civil war quest line because it's the only thing which makes any sort of reasonable sense in context.

An alternative option to say to hell with both them would be nice. You can just not do the civil war quest line I guess, but then you have to do the ceasefire treaty detour in the main quest which is tedious and cringe worthy as all hell.

side with the stomcloaks then take the jagged crown and gave it to tullius. he gives you some poo poo because you're a two faced loser

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Stumbling through the Nexus trying to find any other fun mods (Magical College of Winterhold is pretty dope, FYI), and came across this loving gem of a comment:

Some guy on Romance of NPCs posted:

This mod is fkn amazing.

Walked into Windhelm, Gray Quarter. Run into Brunwulf Free-Winter, basically MLK v2, mulling about the plight of the Dark Elves and racial minorities in the city, all while getting top and blowing a fat nut on a ho's chin, look's me dead in the eyes too and asks if I'm for the Nords. Absolute lad.

You just can't make up s*** like that.

10/10

The name of this mod was highly deceptive, however the comment made the visit to that page worth it. But yeah, Flower Girls. :yikes:

That'll teach me to actually read the full title of the mod and not the title in their thumbnail.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like that comes down to expecting more from Bethesda's writing and ability to make deeper characters or think up alternate resolutions to quests instead of a straight line from beginning to end with maybe a hug puppy/kick puppy choice at the end.

Had a really disappointing experience after coming fresh off New Vegas into Skyrim in Morthal where you're given a quest by the Jarl to be a detective and find a vampire hiding in town, I discovered the vampire's journal early into the quest filled with entries like "I sure do love being a vampire and drinking blood, nobody suspects a thing" but I still had to follow the quest steps and interview people around town and go back into the house I took the book from before I could show anyone the book.

If it was New Vegas's writing team, I could of either shown the Jarl the book right away or taken it to the vampire and asked to get in on her racket and either blackmail her or become a vampire or had special dialogue if I was already a vampire.

It's a broken record to complain about the Elder Scrolls Engine, but Fallout: New Vegas shows that the flaws with the game aren't engine related. Sure New Vegas had stiff animation and crappy combat, but the world really felt alive, because of the writing and quest design and world design. I would take an Elder Scrolls 6 with zero graphical or engine upgrades if they incorporated decent writing and reactive, multi-pathed quests.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Anyone know of a music replacing mod?
Preferable to replace with Zelda music, since I need something good to listen to after learning about Soule.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Siegkrow posted:

Anyone know of a music replacing mod?
Preferable to replace with Zelda music, since I need something good to listen to after learning about Soule.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4827

Also what happened to Soule?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

prometheusbound2 posted:

It's a broken record to complain about the Elder Scrolls Engine

yes

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dalris Othaine posted:

Also what happened to Soule?
Someone has come forward accusing Soule of being an abusive poo poo and raping her.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/alienmelon/status/1166106560809992192?s=19

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I really wouldn't mind Inon Zur doing the soundtrack for every Bethesda game.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Welp. Time to scratch another one off the list

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

He said his music is inspired by his loving rape victims.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cool, guess I'll get used to thinking about sex pests when listening to the OST at work

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any mods that alter the Nordic/Stormcloak armor designs? I found a neat mod that alters the Empire to wear armor inspired by late antiquity Eastern Roman Byzantine armors, and I think it would be cool to have some more viking styled mail hauberks and lamellar armours for the Nords. Really emphasize how much time has passed since the height of the Empire and the high fantasy days of the Septims.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there any mods that alter the Nordic/Stormcloak armor designs? I found a neat mod that alters the Empire to wear armor inspired by late antiquity Eastern Roman Byzantine armors, and I think it would be cool to have some more viking styled mail hauberks and lamellar armours for the Nords. Really emphasize how much time has passed since the height of the Empire and the high fantasy days of the Septims.

Got a link? Sounds cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fuzz posted:

Got a link? Sounds cool.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/22011?tab=posts

EDIT
And as I looked this up, I found a mod that might do what I want.
Somewhat historically accurate weapons and viking gear.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 27, 2019

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Are there any / many good mods that change your vampire lord form?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Prokhor posted:

How it looks or how it plays? On the latter Sacrosanct is good.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

A Sometimes Food posted:

How it looks or how it plays? On the latter Sacrosanct is good.

Just like... Physically how it looks. Like, you're a big grey diaper boy

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
*checks back in* so did he get cancer or

Crazypoops posted:

He said his music is inspired by his loving rape victims.

:yikes: ooookay then, gently caress him

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

timn posted:

You only have to do the peace treaty quest if you start the civil war questline without finishing it before attempting The Fallen. Also it's worth doing because you can shout Ulfric off of the Throat of the World afterward.

Also gently caress jeremy soule.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Agents are GO! posted:

You only have to do the peace treaty quest if you start the civil war questline without finishing it before attempting The Fallen. Also it's worth doing because you can shout Ulfric off of the Throat of the World afterward.

Also gently caress jeremy soule.
I had to do Season Unending in my recent playthrough despite never starting the civil war. Unless that's something they changed for SE.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If you don't carve "rest in peace" on your first word wall you are automatically drafted into the Skyrim war

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
hosed up if true

Is that why there are so many Draugr milling about in their tombs and such?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Commander Keene posted:

I had to do Season Unending in my recent playthrough despite never starting the civil war. Unless that's something they changed for SE.

The civil was has started, even if you haven't joined. The Season Unending truce talks will be a required quest unless you've finished the civil war.

I almost never join the civil war, and I always have had to do the talks.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

bony tony posted:

hosed up if true

Is that why there are so many Draugr milling about in their tombs and such?

There's actually a book with some pretty neat lore about this.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Amongst_the_Draugr

Basically Draugr get up in shifts, do basic maintenance and feed their lifeforce to the elites and then crawl back into their sarcophagus to try and regen enough power to do it again.

Just like modern capitalism am I right?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Cool! And you completely gently caress up that schedule by running in and slapping them in the face, right?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

bony tony posted:

Cool! And you completely gently caress up that schedule by running in and slapping them in the face, right?

you kill their boss though so it's cool

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

they're scabs. the unionized draugr are the ones who stay dead

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Prokhor posted:

No More Ugly Vampire Lord for Oldrim and Humanoid Vampire Lords for SE both keep your character the same when you transform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Not related to modding, but I just did the soul cairn thing again. Really liked it.

I thought they took a hint from dark souls / its predecessor for that one: gray, dead, ruins and world. Oversized and oppressive buildings. Little to no music, just the wind howling. Oversized guardians guarding places. Really digged it.

What I still find interesting is the architecture palette they used there. It's not featured in any other part of the game, and it's completely unclear to which region it would belong. It looks like it might have been an alternative concept for Nord or Akavir ruins. I think it works very well.