Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Why does this guy have an Advanced Seal as his loot in Chapter 19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Speaking of Slithers...

Why is their full faction name Those Who Slither In The Dark. It's so awkward, especially when it's their official faction name. Localization usually goes for something more snappy but this feels very overly literal. Something like Dark Serpents might've worked better.

There's a few other terms like that in the script, like all the weapons that are like Sword of _______ (interestingly Sword of the Creator is just Creator Sword in heroes) or things like Tragedy of Duscur, but those don't stick out to me the same way TWSITD. There's a certain gravitas to Tragedy of Duscur over Duscur Tragedy that feels like something I'd read in a text book that makes it work.

TWSITD is eerily close to twisted though :thunk:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Jeez Rodrigue learn to read the room when it comes to Dimitri and the dead

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

rannum posted:

Speaking of Slithers...

Why is their full faction name Those Who Slither In The Dark. It's so awkward, especially when it's their official faction name. Localization usually goes for something more snappy but this feels very overly literal. Something like Dark Serpents might've worked better.

There's a few other terms like that in the script, like all the weapons that are like Sword of _______ (interestingly Sword of the Creator is just Creator Sword in heroes) or things like Tragedy of Duscur, but those don't stick out to me the same way TWSITD. There's a certain gravitas to Tragedy of Duscur over Duscur Tragedy that feels like something I'd read in a text book that makes it work.

It's supposed to sound awkward, Hubert is making fun of them. The real problem is that you start seeing the faction name long before it's actually mentioned in the story. Having only finished Edelgard's route so far, I'm also curious how the name even comes up, if at all, in other routes.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Cattail Prophet posted:

It's supposed to sound awkward, Hubert is making fun of them. The real problem is that you start seeing the faction name long before it's actually mentioned in the story. Having only finished Edelgard's route so far, I'm also curious how the name even comes up, if at all, in other routes.
everyone else just calls them that without prompting, Hubert's the only one who calls them that as, like, something he just came up with as a joke

the joke answer for why everyone calls them that is because Hubert told them it'd be funny

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

Well for Golden Deer Lysithea is the first to mention them as “those strange mages”, for obvious reasons, upon first sighting them in the Great Gronder battle

They’re only formally referred to as TWSITD after Hubert’s letter and also as Shambhala loyalists or Agarthans in the final two maps

e: now that I’m in chapter 16 of Blue Lions I get the sense that almost everyone I have on my roster poached from other houses is gonna say the same things as they did for Golden Deer, aside from maybe Marianne mentioning her adoptive father telling her to promote her house to the Kingdom

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 29, 2019

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well for Golden Deer Lysithea is the first to mention them as “those strange mages”, for obvious reasons, upon first sighting them in the Great Gronder battle

They’re only formally referred to as TWSITD after Hubert’s letter and also as Shambhala loyalists or Agarthans in the final two maps

e: now that I’m in chapter 16 of Blue Lions I get the sense that almost everyone I have on my roster poached from other houses is gonna say the same things as they did for Golden Deer, aside from maybe Marianne mentioning her adoptive father telling her to promote her house to the Kingdom

The Deer say it mostly in parody at first, seemingly, until it catches on somewhat and everybody begins using more serious tones with it for lack of other name.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

rannum posted:

Speaking of Slithers...

yeah the localization seems completely allergic to abbreviating anything. The Battle of the Eagle and Lion is another pretty egregious offender

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

:allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

5 years later Raphael is happy to have his running study partner back

Hilda wishes she faked her death

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I used Ashe so little the game power leveled him to 20 in the timeskip so he could do something

I didn't give him anything but an iron axe though before so he didn't anyway :v:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

low key my favorite art of byleth involves him/her being a professor, this is funny.

this was on Kotaku but someone made a bunch of jokes about 3H characters if they were on Twitter, which is a perfect blend of two of my current interests. my personal favorites are anytime Sylvain is a reply guy and also Ingrid's one and only appearance in the series.

https://twitter.com/coolfest1999/status/1164321771618594816?s=20

https://twitter.com/coolfest1999/status/1164335413789523968?s=20

https://twitter.com/coolfest1999/status/1164232723344478213?s=20

https://twitter.com/coolfest1999/status/1165275913711316994?s=20

here's the beginngin. they're not all gold but enough made me laugh that i thought it was worth posting here.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm still laughing at this one

https://twitter.com/coolfest1999/status/1164048968696786944?s=19

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

earnest professor byleth is definitely my favorite thing, if only because before coming to the monastery byleth knew let me see here *flips through notes* E swords, pirates and the vague concept of being a mercenary

so the idea of them going from probably never reading a book to earnestly throwing themselves into their work is just...nice. It's pleasant. Any time there was a dialog prompt for being proud of your students or a support based around you doing something as a teacher (helping others, stepping in to fix issues, general worries) I liked it a lot. Their Heroes conversations was also nice.

Do wish there was some talk about them preparing lesson plans or whatever, though, but these game mechanics wait for no one

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm sorry, but I can't believe that Jareth's kid has no idea how to drink.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm sorry, but I can't believe that Jareth's kid has no idea how to drink.

you say that as if his parenting style wasn't just "leave child in dark room until job comes in, repeat until you/they die"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

you say that as if his parenting style wasn't just "leave child in dark room until job comes in, repeat until you/they die"

Jareth cared about two things other than his family. One of them was fishing. The other was drinking. Considering how Byleth takes to fishing, I think the evidence is pretty strong for my position on this one.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It'll be a while before I get ot Church/Deer so minor question about Byleth's backstory

Is there anything more to Byleth's age? All the mystery surrounding their age, including that no one not even Byleth themself doesn't know how old they are seems a bit weird when you find a journal detailing the day you were born and that you're about 21 or so. It just seems weirdly unceremonious. I was expecting weird time poo poo, especially when Byleth can't say how old they are or even how long they've been an active mercenary.
Can't even really blame Sothis on that one, like you can with the Red Canyon stuff.
It's not like the age thing needed to be a mystery, Byleth having no emotions, a crest that shouldn't be in the world, being the focus of Rhea's attention and not having a heartbeat are all fine enough.

At least Jeralts age thing had a fun thing to figure out based on a few supports, his stat screen and thinking about the implications of why that'd happen.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol I used Ashe so little the game power leveled him to 20 in the timeskip so he could do something

I didn't give him anything but an iron axe though before so he didn't anyway :v:

Ashe is such a fucker though so don't count on him :mad: I'm not sure if I did something wrong but I recruited him right before the time skip and he was missing from my team and fought me anyhow

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The only bad thing about those twitters is that they had Ferdinand agree with Lorenz on trickle down economics and I won't stand for that slander.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Chronojam posted:

Ashe is such a fucker though so don't count on him :mad: I'm not sure if I did something wrong but I recruited him right before the time skip and he was missing from my team and fought me anyhow
Ashe always leaves the team if you're not on the Blue Lions. Basically, he becomes a knight at the worst possible time, because he immediately gets conscripted into the war, and he has to fight you. (But if you've recruited him and you're the one to defeat him, you can be like "yo I'm actually alive, get your rear end over here idiot")

Eimi posted:

The only bad thing about those twitters is that they had Ferdinand agree with Lorenz on trickle down economics and I won't stand for that slander.
Ferdinand is a much more tolerable noble than Lorenz, but he's still "acutely aware of his nobility," and probably would advocate for that economic system.

In their defense, they both buy into noblesse oblige to varying degrees, and think the nobility who don't take care of the commoners under their jurisdiction are garbage idiots.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

Ashe always leaves the team if you're not on the Blue Lions. Basically, he becomes a knight at the worst possible time, because he immediately gets conscripted into the war, and he has to fight you. (But if you've recruited him and you're the one to defeat him, you can be like "yo I'm actually alive, get your rear end over here idiot")

Ferdinand is a much more tolerable noble than Lorenz, but he's still "acutely aware of his nobility," and probably would advocate for that economic system.

In their defense, they both buy into noblesse oblige to varying degrees, and think the nobility who don't take care of the commoners under their jurisdiction are garbage idiots.

That isn't true if you are on the Edelgard path as he just sticks with the empire

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Hunt11 posted:

That isn't true if you are on the Edelgard path as he just sticks with the empire

Ferdinand's initially pretty unenthusiastic about Edelgard's whole vision for rebuilding society, but he comes up with pretty good ideas on how to make it happen once he gets talked around to it. There's a point on her route where Ferdinand can have a conversation with her that basically goes "okay, if you're really set on this whole 'abolishing the nobility' thing, there are still a bunch of important things the nobility does right now that nobody else really gets taught how to do, so how about we invent the concept of universal education"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

rannum posted:

It'll be a while before I get ot Church/Deer so minor question about Byleth's backstory

Is there anything more to Byleth's age? All the mystery surrounding their age, including that no one not even Byleth themself doesn't know how old they are seems a bit weird when you find a journal detailing the day you were born and that you're about 21 or so. It just seems weirdly unceremonious. I was expecting weird time poo poo, especially when Byleth can't say how old they are or even how long they've been an active mercenary.
Can't even really blame Sothis on that one, like you can with the Red Canyon stuff.
It's not like the age thing needed to be a mystery, Byleth having no emotions, a crest that shouldn't be in the world, being the focus of Rhea's attention and not having a heartbeat are all fine enough.

At least Jeralts age thing had a fun thing to figure out based on a few supports, his stat screen and thinking about the implications of why that'd happen.

There's also Leonies support where her and Byleth remark that for Jeralt to have based himself out of Leonies village for several months (which he did because it's her entire backstory) it's impossible for Leonie and Byleth to not have known each since they were kids. Like they had some idea that Byleth was actually recently born/created and ages super fast.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thuryl posted:

Ferdinand's initially pretty unenthusiastic about Edelgard's whole vision for rebuilding society, but he comes up with pretty good ideas on how to make it happen once he gets talked around to it. There's a point on her route where Ferdinand can have a conversation with her that basically goes "okay, if you're really set on this whole 'abolishing the nobility' thing, there are still a bunch of important things the nobility does right now that nobody else really gets taught how to do, so how about we invent the concept of universal education"

I should have been more clear as I was talking about what was referenced in the spoilers.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Thuryl posted:

Which is why Ferdie loving owns

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

"yo I'm actually alive, get your rear end over here idiot"

Are you kidding, because I purposely didn't attack, hoping for a recruiting event after the battle :saddowns:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I made a branching save in my BE run and after beating the church route I've gone back to it to complete the other side. I initially had quite liked the church route but after about five seconds I'm now in the Church sucks camp.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

so Ferdinand is basically FDR

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

so Ferdinand is basically FDR
"I am FerdinanD von aegiR"

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

ingrid is pretty good once you work with her a bit. She just needs a bit of remedial work to get there.

Honestly, next run (because lol I'm definitely gonna keep replaying this, it's fun) I'm probably gonna drag her through brigand to get Death Blow to make her deadly.

Considering she dosen't need an intermediate class, i'm getting her both darting and death blow

Ashe does need sniper, but ive slapped him with a knowledge gem to get archer and Brigand mastered

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/jivke/status/1166900734308179969

Hunt11 posted:

i mean it makes sense because he enters the service of a western faerghus noble who immediately throws his lot in with the empire, so at that point why not just go back to the monastery with the black eagles in 1185

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 29, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

https://twitter.com/jivke/status/1166900734308179969

i mean it makes sense because he enters the service of a western faerghus noble who immediately throws his lot in with the empire, so at that point why not just go back to the monastery with the black eagles in 1185

That doesn't happen in the Edelgard route as with the church's support Dimitri takes the throne no problem and Faerghus doesn't shatter as nation. So for people like Ashe they just stick around or at least remain within Empire territory.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

rannum posted:

Honestly, I think it's just that Jeralt doesn't really count years or care about keeping track of age. Byleth's mother died 21 years prior to the Academy phase, so that makes Byleth 21. Nobody contradicts this, not even Rhea on the Church route when she tells you everything. I think Byleth has also been in kind of a haze for most of their life thanks to Sothis being asleep--Sothis suggests that her slumber might be the reason for Byleth's lack of emotion, which tracks, because as soon as she woke up, Byleth started to show a lot more emotion.

I'm not too sure why they don't update Byleth's age on their roster page once it's clear Byleth would've figured it out, but I guess it also leaves open the question of "is Byleth 5 years older after the time skip or are their students older than them now, how does that work"

galagazombie posted:

There's also Leonies support where her and Byleth remark that for Jeralt to have based himself out of Leonies village for several months (which he did because it's her entire backstory) it's impossible for Leonie and Byleth to not have known each since they were kids. Like they had some idea that Byleth was actually recently born/created and ages super fast.

My assumption with that support was just that Jeralt's a bad dad and either left Byleth with someone else while he was off on a mission or kept Byleth sort of hidden away so people wouldn't be spooked by the emotionless child. This sort of tracks with Byleth having little to no opinion of Jeralt right up until he dies--it seems like maybe Byleth barely knew their dad because until Byleth was old enough to fight, Jeralt was away a lot and/or just kind of kept Byleth hidden away as well as he could.

The idea that Byleth was recently created and aged quickly might have at some point been in the story, but if it was, it was definitely removed because there aren't any suggestions in-game of that kind of thing. We can work out when Jeralt left the monastery and nobody who knows the truth contradicts the timeline at all.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 29, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
B cares about Jeralt, just doesn't really understand it. I took it more as "he's dad, I guess" from an unemotive robot who didn't really know what that meant then "EH gently caress HIM," B does cry in the end after all And the only time as a otherwise ruthless killer.

also; has it ever been said when maddening is coming because I don't want to do the other routes until then, hard is just... ugh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

B cares about Jeralt, just doesn't really understand it. I took it more as "he's dad, I guess" from an unemotive robot who didn't really know what that meant then "EH gently caress HIM," B does cry in the end after all And the only time as a otherwise ruthless killer.

Yeah, I think this is accurate. It's not so much that Byleth hates Jeralt or anything, they just don't really have strong feelings towards him until Sothis wakes up. Mostly because they don't have strong feelings at all until then, really.

Gamerofthegame posted:

also; has it ever been said when maddening is coming because I don't want to do the other routes until then, hard is just... ugh.

The DLC page mentions that there'll be a major update in October, so that seems like the safest bet. It could come earlier and just not be part of that roadmap, though, since an incomplete version of insanity/maddening is already in the game files.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chronojam posted:

Oh I'm Blue Lions, he just sucked and failed every level up. :v:

Also lmao if you tell Sothis "Who?" when she's urging you to get up in the timeskip she gets super pissed off

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 29, 2019

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The very last level in the black eagles route has a pretty rough difficulty spike. anyone have any tips, particularly for dealing with the drat golems that get buffed to hell within just a few turns?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Polo-Rican posted:

The very last level in the black eagles route has a pretty rough difficulty spike. anyone have any tips, particularly for dealing with the drat golems that get buffed to hell within just a few turns?

Go around the sides of the map; you can ignore most of the enemies in the centre completely, since you'll have a couple of turns between getting in range of the boss and them being able to reach you, and if that's not enough to win the fight you'll have bigger problems than them. The golems in your way should be treated as high-priority targets; get into range of them as quickly as you safely can and bring as many wide AoE Gambits as possible, enough to inflict armour breaks on all the golems and the big boss. In particular, dig through your battalion list for AoE physical Gambits to use on the magic-immune golems and save magic-based Gambits for the boss if possible. When facing a dangerous enemy like one of the named characters, sometimes you'll want to rush them without letting them get a turn, while other times you'll want someone who can survive a hit to lure them out, depending on your party composition and the enemy's abilities. Don't let any of your squishy characters get too far away from allies who can surround and protect them, since there are a couple of waves of flying reinforcements to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
In regards to the slitherers and replacing people
I think the game makes it clear that Tomas and Monica both existed before they got replaced. And now are either dead or...merged?
Kronya/Monica's bit is really weird, especially when you're Black Eagles - I kinda expected her to join then leave.