Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

fishmech posted:

Kids haven't used sms abbreviations in like a decade.

To be very pedantic, I used the specific wording "would end up shaking their heads" not the phrase "are shaking their heads" because I was talking about something that happened in the past not something ongoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

fishmech posted:

Kids haven't used sms abbreviations in like a decade.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

To be very pedantic, I used the specific wording "would end up shaking their heads" not the phrase "are shaking their heads" because I was talking about something that happened in the past not something ongoing.

Smh at people shaking their heads thinking kids write out “shaking my head”

(Or did I just out myself as a turbo-old?)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Squalid posted:

ugh. . . I know you're speaking of early breeders, but this is still basically how a lot of breeders talk and I hate it so much. There's so much pseudoscience that get's a pass, even in big national organizations.

I think my favorite ancient dog breed is the Salish Wool Dog

Look at that fuzzy little guy :3: This breed was kept by pacific northwest Indians and shorn every summer. The wool for the blanket in the picture came from those little doggies. Sadly after the introduction of cheap European yarn and cloth in the mid-late 19th century, the Salish Indians ceased to maintain the breed and the wool dog type disappeared. Today the vast majority of North American dogs are descended from European stock, their spread mirroring that of European humans.

Even as wool dogs declined as an identifiable breed some continued to exist into the mid 20th century. By 1950 or so there was no longer any trace of them.

This picture is from the nineteen thirties, and depicts a 14 year old dog still shorn for its wool each year. One of the last :911:

Look at you scrubs and your wool dogs. What if I told you that any cottage in England of respectable size and wealth once had two combined kitchen machine/footwarmer dogs?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Question from the other history thread. I'd also be interested by such a book:

dpf posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book on the Senate?

Specifically in post-Augstan times. I've found the title "senator" popping up in some sources /very/ late (i.e. long after the establishment of the Kingdoms of Odacer and Theodoric).

I'm interested in how signs/images/ideology of the Republic endured, what their function was and finally the liminal moment between the decaying Graeco-Roman civilization and the rise of the Papacy proper.

I love the idea of degredated notables meeting and gossiping in the forum in this grassy, decaying ruin.

Extra info on how iconography of the Empire transmuted and (Dux Bellorum into feudal Dukes, etc.) is also interesting but I only have slithers of information from here and there.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Tias posted:

Look at you scrubs and your wool dogs. What if I told you that any cottage in England of respectable size and wealth once had two combined kitchen machine/footwarmer dogs?

this is just too silly

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Goddammit now I want a cuddly wool dog and I will never have one

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Squalid posted:

this is just too silly

Much like how you can't say 'walk' around pet dogs, a priest accidentally started talking about wheels in a sermon, which made all the turnspit/footrest dogges riot and run out of the church

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Goddammit now I want a cuddly wool dog and I will never have one

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Spitz

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Waroduce posted:

I'll be in Vienna for 3 days and have added the Austrian National Library to my very short list of things to do. So far the lists consists of:

1. Schoenbrun Palace
2. Austrian National Library (globe/papyrus)
3. Mozarts Place
4. Walk around and drink

I've added the Austrian National Library because way downstream in the thread some one mentioned it had the Tabula Peutingeriana. I'm also interested in seeing their globe collection.

Any other cool things to see or recommend? will post pictures.

I'll also be in Barcelona for 3 days but not sure if theres things of a similar vein but not sure if that ask is a match for this thread

You go to the Rüstkammer. It's in the Weltmuseum (top floor), right next to the Nationalbibliothek

When you're done there, go over to the Kunsthistorisches Museum and look at all the BIG painters, like Tizian, Rembrandt, etc. A bit hidden, there's a Roman museum, but I've never been there.

On the next day, you go to the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum and look at all the stuff there. If the weather is a bit better and less tropical, you'll rent a car and go to Carnuntum, to look at the roman remains and the museum there (and think of Marc Aurel), and check out the Heidentor.

Other than that, touristy kitsch.

Btw, if you happen to take a detour to Madrid, I'd request a few photos from the Royal Armory there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oh I have a labradoodle who is very fluffy he's just not woolly

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Dalael posted:

Question from the other history thread. I'd also be interested by such a book:

decay is such a strong word, New Rome's senate survived until the 14th century

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

nah

but kids definitely don't use most of the old lexicon just like we don't anymore. a few things like lol permanently enshrined themselves in the english language and the others withered away. they were a product of their time and place like l33t was, and didn't survive the mainstreaming of the internet

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Um what kids do definitely use acronyms and slang in texts in 2019. Okay different ones to 10 years ago but that's cause the memes change.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

check out these glxybrns over here

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like it's just slang. Slang changes rapidly in both written and spoken language, because it's used in part to gatekeep identity--people who speak with he same slang as you do are part of the same group as you. It's gotta change rapidly to accomplish that unless you want your in-group to include olds

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Dang, I thought that meant so much hate. I never thought of shaking your head as like a way of emoting.

Abbreviations are both more difficult and less handy in the era of autocorrect.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel like it's just slang. Slang changes rapidly in both written and spoken language, because it's used in part to gatekeep identity--people who speak with he same slang as you do are part of the same group as you. It's gotta change rapidly to accomplish that unless you want your in-group to include olds

No it's just laziness and memes apart from stuff like lol and wtf

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I say this as a 24 year old who until recently was the kids these days. By the time I got on the internet pwn was lame and no one used 1337 outside of some old on halo 3

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

underage at the vape shop posted:

Um what kids do definitely use acronyms and slang in texts in 2019. Okay different ones to 10 years ago but that's cause the memes change.

There was specific stuff you had to do that only made sense on old phones where T9 was your sole input method. Most of that stuff evaporated as soon as phones with full keyboards and then smartphones with predictive text happened.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

I say this as a 24 year old who until recently was the kids these days. By the time I got on the internet pwn was lame and no one used 1337 outside of some old on halo 3

And now we're talking about ancient language in the ancient history thread, the derail organically rerails itself

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Zopotantor posted:

Imperial Regalia at the treasury in the Hofburg.

The Imperial Orb is known as the Reich's Apple?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You can't fool me. That's the holy hand grenade of Antioch.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SimonCat posted:

The Imperial Orb is known as the Reich's Apple?

and the earth is known as the Erdapfel, apple is german for sphere

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

Is that an early modern thing? I don't think I've ever heard anything but Kugel for the geometric shape.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

You've schooled me on German before so don't take this as me laying down the law here but the only meaning for Erdapfel I'm aware of is potato

e: Erdkugel is kinda dated/oldtimey for the globe, yeah

e: well I'll be goddanged: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdapfel

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Wait a minute--aphidlicker and Cyrano, what do you say for "globe"? Like in an astronomy textbook, the globe of the earth. I think I've heard Erdkugel?

(and by "hear" i mean i read 17th century documents and sound like a weirdo when i speak german)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 29, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
There is also "Globus".

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah the ball-with-a-map-glued-on I'd say is a Globus. In a modern astronomy textbook picturing a planet I think you'd just say (name of planet). Die Erde, Der Mars, Der Mond. Erdball, Erdkugel is oldtimey for the actual thing and might also have been used for the map-on-ball, idk. Modern I'd say Globus solely for map-on-ball, Erde for the actual thing, map-in-book would be eine Karte der Erd(oberfläch)e or something?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah I think I’ve always just used die Erde.

Now in fairness my German comes in two flavors: talking / reading about post-war political poo poo and BS’ing with barflies in the Eckkneipe. That’s to say that I’ve had limited need to employ the word “globe.”

Incidentally, there’s a deutschsprachige Goons thread over in the nerd sub forum where we hammer on this crap incessantly. It’s a fun place.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think you can paste maps onto balls .

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

euphronius posted:

not with that attitude you can't

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

euphronius posted:

You can, they just end up wrinkled.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

euphronius posted:

depends on where you put the paste

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Map is stored on the balls you nincompoops

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

You can, they just end up wrinkled.

The problem, fundamentally, is that balls are already wrinkled.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good thing I paste maps on oblate spheroids and not balls

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

euphronius posted:

Good thing I paste maps on oblate spheroids and not balls

sounds like a personal problem

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ben Nevis posted:

The problem, fundamentally, is that balls are already wrinkled.

those are fjords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah the ball-with-a-map-glued-on I'd say is a Globus. In a modern astronomy textbook picturing a planet I think you'd just say (name of planet). Die Erde, Der Mars, Der Mond. Erdball, Erdkugel is oldtimey for the actual thing and might also have been used for the map-on-ball, idk. Modern I'd say Globus solely for map-on-ball, Erde for the actual thing, map-in-book would be eine Karte der Erd(oberfläch)e or something?

is this the part where i tell you that the word for gallows my subjects use is Justitz