Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Flesh Forge posted:

I did the same door/gas element sensor trick to purge some chlorine from my natural gas, and to my great surprise it worked flawlessly, it didn't lose a microgram of the good stuff but dumped all the chlorine

Gravity is really the best tool for gas management, so your design should work for CO2/Chlorine/NG down and hydrogen up everywhere.

The big reason all my base rooms are tall narrow shafts is gas management; put a pump or 2 on the bottom set with an element sensor looking for oxygen but connected to the pump with a NOT gate, and only turn on in the presence of anything But oxygen; it’ll clean the space of contaminants forever. Punch a hole in the roof somewhere and make sure any hydrogen has a clear drifting path and you’ve solved all gas management issues besides converting PO2.

Also I always include an oxygen storage tank in my storage area so my pumps can continue working even when they’re picking up mostly O2 alongside the last couple drops of not-oxygen in a space. If you don’t build proper storage what will eventually happen is the oxygen will have nowhere to go due to pressurization, backing up the entire system/loop.

Once you get some dense pufts eggs put them in the storage room and make free oxylite.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

is heat deletion still a thing? cause I don't understand how I won't eventually die to heat death when I'm generating so much heat. all I can think of is displacing it or using up cold biomes. but if I have 10t of 90 degree water and use up all my cold biomes, I'm eventually gonna have boiling hot spots in the map. am I able to vent hot gas to space? say if I had an open room to space and my heat generating machines were exposed to it, would it all just get sucked away?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Qubee posted:

is heat deletion still a thing? cause I don't understand how I won't eventually die to heat death when I'm generating so much heat. all I can think of is displacing it or using up cold biomes. but if I have 10t of 90 degree water and use up all my cold biomes, I'm eventually gonna have boiling hot spots in the map. am I able to vent hot gas to space? say if I had an open room to space and my heat generating machines were exposed to it, would it all just get sucked away?

Your main heat deleter is steam turbines, which turn 125°+ steam into 99° water with the heat converted to power. It produces less power than an aquatuner requires so it's primarily used to delete heat.

Venting hot gases into space also works, any gas or liquid exposed to space disappears.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
A power control station in the turbine room gets it up to 1275w, just liquid lock the entrance with something that can take 200C, since there isn't the top steam component anymore it doesn't matter the temperature balance above. Also if you have mulitple power control stations you can disable all but 1, the dupes will carry the microchips around to where they're needed. Keeps you from wasting refined metal since they just stack up on the floor.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 29, 2019

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Mazz posted:

A power control station in the turbine room gets it up to 1275w, just liquid lock the entrance with something that can take 200C, since there isn't the top steam component anymore it doesn't matter the temperature balance above. Also if you have mulitple power control stations you can disable all but 1, the dupes will carry the microchips around to where they're needed. Keeps you from wasting refined metal since they just stack up on the floor.

I thought there was an issue with tuning up steam turbines. Does it actually work now? I have like seven of the drat things.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tuning lasts 3 days, regardless of level of use the generators get. Tuning also takes a fair bit of dupe time. So unless you're aquatuner/steam setup is running fairly often it probably doesn't make much sense to do it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

TehSaurus posted:

I thought there was an issue with tuning up steam turbines. Does it actually work now? I have like seven of the drat things.

Seemed to work fine when I tested it, they were showing “engies tune up” and 1275w. I didn’t run it though, I changed my mind on placement before turning it on and never got back around to it.

CainFortea posted:

Tuning lasts 3 days, regardless of level of use the generators get. Tuning also takes a fair bit of dupe time. So unless you're aquatuner/steam setup is running fairly often it probably doesn't make much sense to do it.

For a 50% increase in power it’s generally worth it since it requires no extra material input. Definitely true for petro gens and I would say any turbine that’s part of a main cooling loop. It goes from not supporting a tuner to producing 75w of excess if at full power, you could isolate the battieries in that case and it will mostly self power.

If you make sure to have a decent number of electrical engineers the dupe time isn’t bad at all, it’s like oil reservoirs, the multi-cycle gaps between dupe interaction make it pretty worthwhile if accessible enough. I centralize my power production close to my base though and run miles of conductive wire instead so YMMV.

If you have many little one off turbine cooling systems like insta posted I agree a power station is overkill.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 29, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Most aquatuner/steam generator setups used for cooling don't run all that often. Just as needed. Maybe more late game as you're running cooling more frequently sure.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Most aquatuner/steam generator setups used for cooling don't run all that often. Just as needed. Maybe more late game as you're running cooling more frequently sure.

But my triple volcano driven geothermal plant runs quite a lot!

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Qubee posted:

In addition to steam turbines and the like, heat deletion also exists in the form of things like wheezeworts, AETNs and jettisoning hot stuff into space. You might also have cool slush geysers which provide a renewable supply of cold stuff.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So all of my material storage is stuffed into gaps, crevices, and service gangways on what is now the Inside of the base. Since I have so few suits, my crew of primary haulers can't work while the builders and diggers do their thing, and even if I had suits for them, changing on the way out and back in still slows things down.

I have some basic ideas on approaches for Interior and Exterior working inventories, but they are elaborate and nebulously rely on assumptions about a bunch of systems I've barely interacted with. How do y'all approach this?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I make huge amounts of oxygen in order to make the base habitable, and only use suits when going into dangerously hot places (the oil biome) or space (...space).

A lot of people swear by atmo suits and use them all the time, though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

any word on DLCs?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Mechanical Ape posted:

In addition to steam turbines and the like, heat deletion also exists in the form of things like wheezeworts, AETNs and jettisoning hot stuff into space. You might also have cool slush geysers which provide a renewable supply of cold stuff.

the lowly ice machine actually subtracts heat too, apparently

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ice Maker deletes ~20% of the heat from the sourced water while Ice-E Fan's input also absorbs heat while active (and providing a ridiculous -32kDTU while a Dupe operates it, stalling out when it gets too cold). For comparison, Wheezeworts provide -12kDTU while immersed in Hydrogen and AETN's are -80kDTU.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 29, 2019

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
I’m at cycle 1800 in my base and about to launch a hydrogen rocket for the first time.

But first I need to disinfect some water. I built a chlorine room with reservoirs daisy chained together, but I cannot get the germ sensor loop to work because there is a always a water packet inside the germ sensor before the shutoff valve that does not get disinfected and does not return to the main loop. What is the solution?

I’m really not enjoying the finicky mechanics of this game (though it is fun to read about everyone who is!) but I’d like to launch the rocket and finish the game before I uninstall.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Don't use a germ sensor. Use that bridge setup with a liquid pipe sensor and a control valve on the output end. It will fill all the containers daisy chained together, then only output fluid as you put fluid in. Which should give the chlorine plenty of time to clean the water for you.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Don't use a germ sensor. Use that bridge setup with a liquid pipe sensor and a control valve on the output end. It will fill all the containers daisy chained together, then only output fluid as you put fluid in. Which should give the chlorine plenty of time to clean the water for you.

How and why does this work? it seems very exploit-y and doesn't sit right in my brain

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fano posted:

How and why does this work? it seems very exploit-y and doesn't sit right in my brain

The only "exploity" thing is chlorine de-germing liquid in a container. Which the poster I was showing this to has already accepted as something he wants to use.

The bridge priority thing just fill the containers. Once they are full, the liquid goes through the pipes to the next bridge triggering the sensor. Once the sensor detects fluid, it opens the valve letting some fluid out, thus opening space into the containers. It just does that basically forever as long as the power is on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mazz posted:

For a 50% increase in power it’s generally worth it since it requires no extra material input.

Doesn't tuning up consume refined metals every time you do it?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

OwlFancier posted:

Very little. It's primary purpose isn't to increase your power generation but to make your setup more efficient. 4 petroleum generators are now 6, two nat gas geysers can't keep up with my 4 generators, but with tuning, 3 of them can while outputting more power than 4, as an example, leaving me a nice surplus instead of empty all the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might feel better if I had a renewable source of metal, there's not a huge amount of it on my map at the moment.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, anyone have a deece 1.0+ seed with at least a gold volcano and a decent amount of water (polluted or otherwise, doesn't matter)? I'm pretty much ready to finally try for the endgame.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've got assloads of water, polluted and salty, but not found a metal volcano yet.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, anyone have a deece 1.0+ seed with at least a gold volcano and a decent amount of water (polluted or otherwise, doesn't matter)? I'm pretty much ready to finally try for the endgame.

yes, will share when i get home

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Will try this, thanks! I have like 20 tanks chained together so I guess I’ll break it up into smaller sections and hope for the best! (It will take me 50 cycles to get it to work and by then I’ll have another huge problem that will need solving).

Fano posted:

ONI is just like that. Like, you have to “exploit” the heating element automation to be able to boil water into steam with it (even though there is an espresso machine that presumably does the same thing) and in many cases exploits are the preferred way to do something extremely simple.

I don’t know any tricks, so (for example) I have like 20 gas pumps all around the map with a “not” gate attached to a gas sensor for oxygen separation venting all non-oxygen into space and about 100k nautical miles of pipes running everywhere without much regard to the temperature of the contents, and I have a collection of water, polluted water, brine, oil, and petroleum across the entire bottom of the map with only the abbysalite separating it from the magma. Of course I use a bunch of pumps and separators to just bring it back up at whatever temperature it is after all the steam vents and cold slush geysers and salt water geysers and oil derricks diffuse at. I have a bunch of wheeze worts and oxyferns just everywhere so it’s a never ending chaos of mixed gasses, dying critters, wrong temperatures/no irrigation for bristle berries, food poisoning, low morale, scalding and hypothermic dupes, and rockets melting things into magma.

Basicallly my setup would send anyone who has optimized a base blueprint into convulsions, but it’s been going from one disaster to the next for 1800 cycles, so whatever.

Also want to bitch that it took almost 500 cycles to find fullerene for super coolant because the first planet with any was at 50k or whatever.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

Ice Maker deletes ~20% of the heat from the sourced water while Ice-E Fan's input also absorbs heat while active (and providing a ridiculous -32kDTU while a Dupe operates it, stalling out when it gets too cold). For comparison, Wheezeworts provide -12kDTU while immersed in Hydrogen and AETN's are -80kDTU.

Just for comparison, a single steam turbine deletes over 877kDTU/s.

OwlFancier posted:

I might feel better if I had a renewable source of metal, there's not a huge amount of it on my map at the moment.

Copper, iron, and gold are renewable in small amounts once you've dug up to space - they periodically fall from the sky in meteors.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Well, I think I have to face facts and abandon The Unpleasant Panopticon. I was concentrating so much on cooling my water supply/getting a general cooling loop running that I didn't notice that the minor volcano under my base had turned the lower third of it into a shittier Arizona. And the only open path to the other AETN I discovered is through tunnels I somehow pressurized to 4 kg.

Sorry little guys, I'll build some statues in your honor in the next try.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
oh my god one oxygen diffuser and three slicksters has led to the total consumption of all CO2 in the base for some 40-50 cycles and theyre actually on the edge of starving to death

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PoultryGeist posted:

Well, I think I have to face facts and abandon The Unpleasant Panopticon. I was concentrating so much on cooling my water supply/getting a general cooling loop running that I didn't notice that the minor volcano under my base had turned the lower third of it into a shittier Arizona. And the only open path to the other AETN I discovered is through tunnels I somehow pressurized to 4 kg.

Sorry little guys, I'll build some statues in your honor in the next try.

4kg/tile is fine? It won't hurt your dupes they just don't particularly like it. Plus it's only, like 2 atmospheres as far as dupes go so you can get rid of that by just venting it into your base, your usual CO2 dispersal system should get rid of it and if it's oxygen that's a plus.

If you want to get through hostile terrain generally the best thing to do is just build a narrow insulated corridor right through it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

4kg/tile is fine? It won't hurt your dupes they just don't particularly like it. Plus it's only, like 2 atmospheres as far as dupes go so you can get rid of that by just venting it into your base, your usual CO2 dispersal system should get rid of it and if it's oxygen that's a plus.

If you want to get through hostile terrain generally the best thing to do is just build a narrow insulated corridor right through it.

Popped eardrums adds a fair bit of stress and tanks moral pretty hard.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Note: trying to build an insulated corridor straight through those 1300C obsidian super-boulders without exosuits is a dupe-fuckling pain in the rear end. Took me like 50 cycles and a shitload of tempshift plate heat-deletion.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Yeah but only for like a day. And some tunnels pressurized to 4kg will pretty quickly spread out and equalize to a safe pressure level unless they are, like, larger than the entire rest of your colony.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I’ve taken to ranching smooth hatchlings this game and feeding them gold amalgam in lieu of any metal smelting besides Steel, I have to say I kind of like it. 12-16 hatches will keep up with demand pretty good and I’m pretty sure between my dreckos, hatches, shine bugs and pufts I can feed 27 dupes omelettes and just like delete my farms. Im not going to, but I have 450k+ kcal of omelettes just kind of hanging out now. Maybe next game I’ll try the heat cooling of omelettes thing and skip cooks entirely.

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but it’s only 50kg per generator every 3 days. If you have a lead biome nearby it will supply more than enough. That is a material cost though, that’s true.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 29, 2019

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

CainFortea posted:

Yeah that's how I noticed, I suddenly had a dup at 70 stress when everyone else was at 0-5. I guess I could deconstruct the airlock holding it in and hope it equalizes without blowing polluted oxygen and residual chlorine everywhere

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

insta posted:

Note: trying to build an insulated corridor straight through those 1300C obsidian super-boulders without exosuits is a dupe-fuckling pain in the rear end. Took me like 50 cycles and a shitload of tempshift plate heat-deletion.

Extreme heat is difficult yeah not least cos it melts your dupes but most kinds of hostile terrain it's just a matter of clearing out the corridor and insulating the walls. i like to do it along the path of an abyssalite border for maximum ease.

But actually melting dupes is why I don't particularly characterise overpressuring as a problem, unless it's a place your dupes are going to keep visiting.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

I am of the opinion that you cannot have too many morbs. Also note the kill room, I could probably automate that but its easier to just let my dupes dump all the extra animals in there and just drag an attack command across the space every 30-40 cycles.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 30, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You know that recurring theme of what to do when you get a big messed up mix of fluids all jumbled up, well, this is extremely redneck science but it takes no power and is very fast compared to pumping and filtering the entire contents of a large tank:

How do the pitcher pumps know exactly what fluids to take? The hose knows

It KNOWS :shrug:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Every time I get super pissed at some mechanic in this game I end up restarting and playing a new base that’s more efficient and for slightly more cycles than the last one took to go sour.

I believe this is what most people call enjoying the game. I begrudgingly accept. (Heat diffusion and mechanics are still really annoying, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I need to start doing things on a small scale first. I'm nervously watching my algae tick down while I build a long term farm and power plant.

Now I just need to build my massive gas circulator and I can start on my SPOM.

Oh , and dig out some massive water tanks.

I'm definitely gonna run out of air.