Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
well thanks for that I guess. I read a few things on bpd and it sounds like my biography. now I just need to figure out how to work on it. finding a therapist here that isnt awful is surprisingly difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The job I interviewed for asked me some follow up questions about my visa then re-posted the job ad so I guess they didn't like the answers. :( Worst case scenario I can work for 4 years unrestricted and it's an entry level/no education position so I'm not sure why that would be an issue.

I didn't think that my visa status would make getting a lovely job so difficult. In my home town there are jobs for everyone because wages are too low to live on, but here the min wage is $19.49 so every application is so competitive.

I have the opposite problem, don't care about anyone or anything enough, besides making enough money to not be homeless. I'm a kind person but everything feels so meaningless. I'd assume depression but I've always been this way.

yeah i'm just like, super dialed in and preachy and analytical all the time and i drive myself and everyone crazy or at least i think i do and get insecure about it, and then i try to fit in with the lack of punctuation and capitalization to seem like i'm really just cool as a loving cucumber

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's two types of bpd and I have both of them and with medication it's bearable 🐻

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:31 on Aug 30, 2019

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:31 on Aug 30, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Chokes McGee posted:

today in the succ thread I had to argue with a mod of all people that banning religion was an incredibly poor idea

like they couldnt connect the dots between organized religion is our enemy and so what happened with that during hitlers reign anyway

the Internet is bad for you, please keep checking in but I recommend turning off your phone one day this week and doing something nice for yourself

The condition of being "caught up with the forums" should be in the DSM-V

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Dumb Lowtax posted:

FOMO disorder. heh.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I would be dumbly proud if my posting was diagnosed as an actual disease.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I would be dumbly proud if my posting was diagnosed as an actual disease.

I'm afraid you have CSPAM culture. It'll eventually metastasize and destroy your posting from within

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like I would be a great mod for DND and E/N and people should tell the mods to give me the reins.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah anhedonia sounds more like what I have. I had a lovely early life with neglectful parents and a bunch of mental and physical health problems that I couldn't even begin to address until my mid 20s. Now I'm almost 40 and I'm still just barely getting by. When I don't have to worry about money I'm pretty happy, I just struggle to stay employed and have much of a social life due to aforementioned issues.

And on that note, I just found out I got the job!!!! $50k salary for entry level with zero experience in the industry, gently caress I love Australia.

:toot:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
hooray for gainful employment!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I posted cringey poo poo in the child abuse thread because I didn't realize what thread i was posting in lol.

e: which is why i would be a great mod.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Turtlicious posted:

I posted cringey poo poo in the child abuse thread because I didn't realize what thread i was posting in lol.

checks out, you have my full support

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

I'm trying to conceive of a thread that's even more hosed than the cspam mental health thread and :smith:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
landlord thread is up there too

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm trying to conceive of a thread that's even more hosed than the cspam mental health thread and :smith:
If this thread wasn't valuable I or someone else would have gassed it. I think it works better because CSPAM knows they're not qualified to give more advice than "get therapy." It's just people sharing their own experiences with mental health. I think it's cool that it's possible - it's nice to have a place online where you can actually have and express emotions without having to constantly project power.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's also kind of inevitable to have mental health issues and increased therapy needs if you are someone who has ever come into contact with CSPAM or the global news. Makes sense to have a way to express it and come together about it

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel like I've had a problem with actively seeking out scenarios that make me angry. I feel like that's already a terrible idea when I get really angry at little things anyway, which makes me do incredibly stupid poo poo like melting down over stuff, randomly attacking people because they believe in things that I don't really like myself, and so on. Honestly, I really hate that a lot of it is tied to my account here forever because I really hate making myself look like an rear end in a top hat on such a small place because people make note of it and remember that when they see me posting elsewhere. I dunno, maybe I should just not concern myself with that since I think the consequences of my really dumb actions matters less than that I keep doing dumb stuff. At the very least, I've stopped reading the threads that get me into an awful mood, such as the climate change thread because I feel like that really stresses me out. Baby steps, I guess.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel like I've had a problem with actively seeking out scenarios that make me angry

this is I think something people get mixed up when trying to recognize their own behaviors. I had to realize how much I sabotaged any relationships I had. it didnt make sense to me because Id behind myself over backwards to do things for people or give them stuff or help them whatever. but then I finally realized I still ultimately wanted people to reject me. I wanted them to reject me in spite of everything I do to make it seem more like I was a good person and it wasnt actually my fault.

I still do it sometimes and I dont really know how to stop because its compensating for the fact that I cant stand myself. but Im doing it less. and unraveling the weirdness that is my brain typically gives me some relief at least.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FactsAreUseless posted:

If this thread wasn't valuable I or someone else would have gassed it. I think it works better because CSPAM knows they're not qualified to give more advice than "get therapy." It's just people sharing their own experiences with mental health. I think it's cool that it's possible - it's nice to have a place online where you can actually have and express emotions without having to constantly project power.

From the beginning I was very careful to vomit up a bunch of caveat emptor resources and a testimonial and then keep it as a group therapy style chat instead of "COME ON DOWN AND GET YOUR DIAGNOSIS." I'm super happy it's worked and self maintaining now.

Everybody give yourself a pat on the back, acting like reasonable adults is the reason we have nice things :)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I'm glad this thread is around and I'm happy to chip in with my two cents and I appreciate others answering my questions. I'm a firm believer in "destigmatizing" mental health issues and answering questions honestly with friends and family. I certainly have no issues doing the same semi anonymously

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

was going to a psychologist for a few months, didn't feel like i got anywhere and then she left for a new position, so in an hour I get to do a meet/greet with a new guy - yay for tying to explain how i'm a mess despite being better off than the vast majority of people and while i absolutely want children i can't get around the fact that its pretty loving awful to force someone into existence given the trainwreck currently in motion and the unending depression and ennui that computer touching leaves people with and and and and and

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm glad this thread is around and I'm happy to chip in with my two cents and I appreciate others answering my questions. I'm a firm believer in "destigmatizing" mental health issues and answering questions honestly with friends and family. I certainly have no issues doing the same semi anonymously

If you have a local NAMI chapter, have you considered volunteering for their "In Our Own Voices" program? You give a little presentation on your backstory and then field any questions curious folk have about your experiences with mental illness. I do one around ~1mo and they almost always need people to go to hospitals.

I thought I'd be wasting my time because lol I think everyone in the rec room me included knows all about mental illness but it's such a big deal for them to see someone functional with the same problems they do, it gives a lot of them hope

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Chokes McGee posted:

If you have a local NAMI chapter, have you considered volunteering for their "In Our Own Voices" program? You give a little presentation on your backstory and then field any questions curious folk have about your experiences with mental illness. I do one around ~1mo and they almost always need people to go to hospitals.

I thought I'd be wasting my time because lol I think everyone in the rec room me included knows all about mental illness but it's such a big deal for them to see someone functional with the same problems they do, it gives a lot of them hope

I havent heard of that, but I'll definitely look into it!

e: there is a chapter right near me. Neat!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Eat This Glob posted:

I havent heard of that, but I'll definitely look into it!

e: there is a chapter right near me. Neat!

:thumbsup:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Woke up sad, angry, and tired today, last three hours of work are going to be a struggle. Thanks for being here, all.

Mutar posted:

was going to a psychologist for a few months, didn't feel like i got anywhere and then she left for a new position, so in an hour I get to do a meet/greet with a new guy - yay for tying to explain how i'm a mess despite being better off than the vast majority of people and while i absolutely want children i can't get around the fact that its pretty loving awful to force someone into existence given the trainwreck currently in motion and the unending depression and ennui that computer touching leaves people with and and and and and

Fistbump of solidarity on almost all of that.

Eat This Glob posted:

Concur.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:35 on Aug 30, 2019

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I've been getting PMs nonstop about this so I'm just going to address the elephant in the room --- I am not, at this time, prepared to accept the title of E/N Mod. I'm sorry. Thanks for the support

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Jon Snowishly: Nooooo dun't make me the mod, I dun't want it, I dun't want it. She's my queen

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Calibanibal posted:

I've been getting PMs nonstop about this so I'm just going to address the elephant in the room --- I am not, at this time, prepared to accept the title of E/N Mod. I'm sorry. Thanks for the support

dude there are people in this thread already hurting and now you just want to deliver a blow like that out of nowhere?? smDh

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SunAndSpring posted:

Is there anything I can do on my one for DBT? I want to improve my mood, I feel too angry all the time.

meditation might help with the stuff you're doing DBT for, like anger. as someone still getting into meditating, and trying to practice with any degree of regularity, i've found some of these guided audio files useful:
https://medschool.ucsd.edu/som/fmph/research/mindfulness/programs/mindfulness-programs/MBSR-programs/Pages/audio.aspx

i'm mostly trying to use the book The Mind Illuminated tho. you can probably 'find' a copy of it online if you look :filez:

edit: i'm someone pretty wary of the claims most people touting meditation make, and wary of the whole thing in general because of its connection to religion/mysticism/'woo.' if you have any of those concerns, that book i mentioned is especially good

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 13:20 on Aug 29, 2019

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Yossarian-22 posted:

i find myself putting in effort to not effort post and look even-keeled and this is also a problem i have in social interactions

like i simply care too much and like to hear myself talk and expound on things and ask questions so i'm never ever chill and i can't loosen up

Yossarian-22 posted:

yeah i'm just like, super dialed in and preachy and analytical all the time and i drive myself and everyone crazy or at least i think i do and get insecure about it, and then i try to fit in with the lack of punctuation and capitalization to seem like i'm really just cool as a loving cucumber

just make the effort posts. what's the worst that's gonna happen? no empty quotes? your post gets drowned out by a sea of 'trumnt' and 'teee-ru p' and so on? a ban or a probation? it does'nt matter lol. nothing does, sure, but posting least of all. just post whatever, is what i do. and hell, maybe if you make the preachy, unchill, super dialed in effortposts or w/e on the forums, you'll either not feel the need to do the irl equivalent, or feel different about doing so.

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 13:38 on Aug 29, 2019

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
My wife is a therapist and she is constantly telling me not to read the trump thread cause it gets me all fuckin depressed.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I can't avoid the news, so it's nice to have this subforum as a metaphorical hangout to just look at other people and go "are you seeing this? This all weird and bad, right?"

... Distilled as a plaintive "trumpo"

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i wish i could get my therapist and my doctor in the same room and ask things like "why does it feel like my adderall is going sideways on me and makes it so i can't pay attention to my work whatsoever for an entire day?" like sometimes i feel like it helps me focus, but other times i get double ADD and i'm just fidgety and can't focus on anything but posting and similar small bites that don't require me to sit still and keep focused on one thing.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Flavius Aetass posted:

i wish i could get my therapist and my doctor in the same room and ask things like "why does it feel like my adderall is going sideways on me and makes it so i can't pay attention to my work whatsoever for an entire day?" like sometimes i feel like it helps me focus, but other times i get double ADD and i'm just fidgety and can't focus on anything but posting and similar small bites that don't require me to sit still and keep focused on one thing.

My Adderall does that to me sometimes as well. I always figured it's because I'm on the lowest starter dose and I need more of that sweet sweet dextro.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I have struggled a lot with sleep and restlessness lately, but I got approved for a medical card and got some vape carts today. Really hoping it helps with the restless leg syndrome.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Failson posted:

I can't avoid the news, so it's nice to have this subforum as a metaphorical hangout to just look at other people and go "are you seeing this? This all weird and bad, right?"

... Distilled as a plaintive "trumpo"

the bent and broken trumpo lu ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

I have struggled a lot with sleep and restlessness lately, but I got approved for a medical card and got some vape carts today. Really hoping it helps with the restless leg syndrome.

i wish you well and think it may help you