Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

When you first start Control is pops up a menu saying giving you the most common things that need to be changed (brightness/subtitles/language/etc) more games need to do this because it is super annoying to go hunting for the subtitle option.

Wait was that that trippy looking game at e3 that then vanished off of media until now? I was interested, but completely forgot it existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this! posted:

When you first start Control is pops up a menu saying giving you the most common things that need to be changed (brightness/subtitles/language/etc) more games need to do this because it is super annoying to go hunting for the subtitle option.

It has an option I’ve never seen in a game before- “Mute Copyrighted Music”. Guess they know where a lot of footage is going to end up.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Remedy is such an underrated game developer. They are like on top of their "small things in games" game.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

TontoCorazon posted:

Remedy is such an underrated game developer. They are like on top of their "small things in games" game.

The only thing I can fault them on is failing to update the iOS version of Death Rally to the point that it no longer even installs on modern iOS. The original PC version has an amazing storytelling thing going on with a character called True Tom who essentially was written well enough to give a story to a game that didn't really need one. It's an extra dimension that elevates the game from "enjoyable old game" to "stone cold classic" for me. True Tom only appears in short sentences during pre-races and loading but his words made everything that much more visceral for childhood me. It would have been the same game without him but the addition gave it depth.

E: it's late and I'm going off childhood memory here as I've only experienced it as an adult via the iOS remake which kept the gameplay and dropped everything else. I still loved the racing and shooting though, the gameplay is solid. I just felt the lack of dimension and character. Hopefully I'm describing the original accurately. I'm sure someone else was the exact right age in 96-97 to have played it?

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Aug 29, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

terrenblade posted:

The guy at the bottom wakes up first..

"Oh man, I must have had a wonderful night"
"Wait, it can't have been that good, why are we all wearing clothes?"

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Doom 2016: The Doom Marine is clearly opposed to the extraction of hell argent energy, and takes action to prevent it from occurring again. Also, the background elements in the game show a clear picture of a work environment where growing an extra set of teeth and an exoskeleton is normalized.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mamkute posted:

Doom 2016: The Doom Marine is clearly opposed to the extraction of hell argent energy, and takes action to prevent it from occurring again. Also, the background elements in the game show a clear picture of a work environment where growing an extra set of teeth and an exoskeleton is normalized.
Operational
Skeletons and
Hell
Administration

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

remedy was chasing the shadow of max payne 2 for the whole of alan wake's development and quantum break was them leaning into everything that made alan wake bad

control is looking like a return to form but i've gotta play the thing first

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Quantum Break's whole deal is so wrapped up in Microsoft's push towards transmedia poo poo that it is hard to know what's on Remedy and what was on Microsoft.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Operational
Skeletons and
Hell
Administration

Until Doomguy shows up, then it’s

Oh
poo poo
He’s
Arrived

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

Until Doomguy shows up, then it’s

Oh
poo poo
He’s
Arrived
The stuff you turn up in Hell about how demons are scared of you reminds me of the space pirate research notes in Metroid Prime

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Control is one of those games which has a genuinely awkward first 2-3 hours but gets better afterwards.

As far as little things in games go: I enjoy that you can sequence break by using some of your jumping powers as long as you use TK first to position random boxes in place.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I unashamedly love all of Remedy’s games

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

The stuff you turn up in Hell about how demons are scared of you reminds me of the space pirate research notes in Metroid Prime

I spent so much time making sure I scanned every single thing in every prime game. My favorite was the data log about the space pirates' attempt at morph ball technology.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Dicey Dungeons is a fun dice-based puzzley kinda game where you go through a game-show-esque dungeon with various types of characters, who have been turned into walking dice. As you play you unlock different kinds of characters.

But there is a secret class- Bear. The Thief character lets you use enemy abilities, and one enemy- the Alchemist- has a potion with the effect "Transform into a Bear".

This effect is permanent for the entire run. You turn into a Bear, who does big damage with claws. You can't buy new equipment (the shopkeep says they've got nothing in your size) but you can find new abilities in chests and upgrade your claws, and it's actually kinda easy mode. It flips the entire run on its head.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Pokemon Masters just got released. It's a mobile game where you put together teams of iconic trainers from the series and their Pokemon. So your early lineup includes Brock and his Onix, Misty and her Starmie, stuff like that.

It actually also holds true for some of the generic trainers you fight, who are using various designs from across the series. There's ones you'd expect them to grab from recent games (there are different Ace Trainers using the Sun/Moon and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire designs), but there's some real surprises in there. I'm seeing Gen 1 Hiker designs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How powerful is that rattatta?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Operational
Skeletons and
Hell
Administration

"Demonic presence at unsafe levels - sealing doors"

Implying that there's an acceptable "safe" level of demonic presence.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Barudak posted:

How powerful is that rattatta?

Top percentage!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Pokemon Masters

Is it just from the games/show, or do they also draw from the Pokemon Adventures manga? And if so, does Green have 7 pokemon?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mamkute posted:

I love how their computer system has detection and alerts for acceptable demon levels :allears: and in the trailer for Eternal the computer announced that the Slayer had entered the facility, meaning someone had to program a detection algorithm for that

Speaking of Eternal, the smartest person in the Doom canon is that one UAC guard who saw his friend yell at the Doomslayer, and immediately lowered his gun and backed out of frame. Just like whoops not getting my fingerprints on this situation

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I could be making this up, but I remember hearing that in one of the games, that ratatta has maxed out growth stats, so for it's level it is actually the best it can be.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Danaru posted:

I love how their computer system has detection and alerts for acceptable demon levels :allears: and in the trailer for Eternal the computer announced that the Slayer had entered the facility, meaning someone had to program a detection algorithm for that

"Look Jim, they are paying us by the hour and if that means filling out this testing framework with every goddamn possible test case available, you best be sure I'm doing that. There're some parameters for a "Slayer" or something I don't know, when that hits make sure it puts out a message. No I don't think it'll ever happen I don't give a poo poo."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The standard procedure for being locked in a room with a demon is to let it eat you and know that you're helping the company by doing so.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Randalor posted:

Is it just from the games/show, or do they also draw from the Pokemon Adventures manga? And if so, does Green have 7 pokemon?

At least right now, it's just the core games, although they're willing to make deeper cuts of nostalgia than the core games are. For example, the real eye-catcher when they started showing trainers available in the game was Kris, Pokemon Crystal's female protagonist who appears absolutely nowhere else in the series but Crystal.

I expect at some point we'll see some spinoff, anime or manga-exclusive characters, it's just a matter of when, and who comes first. I've personally got my money on Miror B from Colosseum in a year or two, when they've run dry of all the natural 'hype picks' and decide the time is right for a cult favorite pull to get in all the huge nerds. Somewhere around the same amount of time it took for them to introduce Final Fantasy Tactics stuff into Record Keeper.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Del Lago fight in Resident Evil 4 is complete insanity and it's really fun. It's not particularly hard or even threatening and the whole thing has this absurdist slapstick feel to it as you're dragged around this tiny lake at high speeds throwing spears at a giant salamander.

I also really appreciate the spear-throwing thing because I was almost out of ammo when I got there, and there's absolute boatloads of bullets pretty shortly after encountering it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

food court bailiff posted:

The Del Lago fight in Resident Evil 4 is complete insanity and it's really fun. It's not particularly hard or even threatening and the whole thing has this absurdist slapstick feel to it as you're dragged around this tiny lake at high speeds throwing spears at a giant salamander.

I also really appreciate the spear-throwing thing because I was almost out of ammo when I got there, and there's absolute boatloads of bullets pretty shortly after encountering it.

Del Lago owns because everyone falls for "shoot the water a bunch and a box of ammo will float up" just before that fight

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

The thing is, some of the people you send back get rolled into that very same support crew. The system creates and then maintains itself, and your job is to keep airlifting bodies.

Stealth games are one of my favorite genres, so something I've been doing since the first splinter cell is the body pile. Survey the area, grab and knock out the most isolated guy, dump his unconscious body in a shed where no guards will patrol onto him. Grab the next most isolated guy, knock him out, bring him back to the shed and drop him off. Keep going until the entire compound is knocked out and piled up in one big lump. Everywhere I infiltrate in stealth games, no one ever sees me or gets killed, and they wake up in a big pile of unconscious dudes every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC7NXfvGE6A&t=331s

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I loved that from the start. I didn't expect DOOM to have a sense of humor, let alone actually be funny. Little moments like that, some of the lore and such, or your character just angrily smashing computers to deal with them give the game a lot more character than Borderlands manages in a hundred hours of screaming idiocy. Borderlands spends its time screaming "badass" and DOOM just lets you do badass stuff and doesn't have to make it a thing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

I loved that from the start. I didn't expect DOOM to have a sense of humor, let alone actually be funny. Little moments like that, some of the lore and such, or your character just angrily smashing computers to deal with them give the game a lot more character than Borderlands manages in a hundred hours of screaming idiocy. Borderlands spends its time screaming "badass" and DOOM just lets you do badass stuff and doesn't have to make it a thing.

The intro sequence manages to pack so much badass in just like...what, a minute and a half? Like when the soldier is all "YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE! CAN I SEE YOUR AUTHORIZATION?" The Doom Slayer just takes his gun and walks away. He doesn't even say anything; he's just like "look buddy I'm the loving Doom Slayer. You know what's about to happen? I'm going to walk through that door right there. I'm going to rip and I'm going to tear. There isn't a single person here that can stop me. Aside from that why would you? You have a serious demon problem here and I'm going to loving solve it because that's what I do."

The entire sequence is just him being all like "I'm going to gently caress up every demon I can find then go look for more. Nobody is going to get in my way. Got it?"

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Aug 29, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I like Mr Torgue. He has two jokes: He’s either a screaming explosion-loving man child acting as such, or a screaming explosion-loving man child acting surprisingly insightful. It’s predictable, but it just works for me somehow.

*My extremely mean-looking tournament sponsor is introduced shooting a reporter for bringing up cheating allegations*
“IS IT JUST ME, OR DOES IT SEEM LIKE HE’S GOING TO BETRAY THE F*CK OUT OF YOU :byodood:

I actually got to hear a psycho i aggro’d recite the entire “Too solid flesh” monologue from Hamlet uninterrupted in-game without worry due to a combination of level disparity, distance, and intervening terrain, and it was kinda magical how everything converged to to make that moment.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’M TORGUE, AND I’M HERE TO ASK YOU ONE QUESTION: EXPLOSIONS????

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

DOOM's sense of humor is all the better because it's subtle. You have to be paying attention to pick up on it, there's nothing like Face McShooty.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST
My favourite tiny bit of silent character building in Doom 2016 is right near the start when you're riding the lift up to the surface and Hayden is on the radio trying to justify what he's done. The line about "everything we did, we did for the benefit of mankind" right as Doomguy looks down at the mangled scientist corpse at his feet is fantastic.

In fact that entire sequence is superb - the moment I just mentioned, Doomguy's deliberate knuckle cracks in preparation for the ripping and tearing to come, the build up and release of the E1M1 theme remix, the DOOM logo, and finally the shotgun cock at the end of the music.

https://youtu.be/Ienu85W5Rkk

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hey, I resent being compared to Borderlands. :mad:

Also, Warframe is introducing a playable shamisen "shawzen," making it a cyborg ninja third-person shooter Tony Hawk hoverboard-riding spear-fishing extravaganza where you can have improptu jam sessions. For more fun, add the playable character Octavia who can summon a rolling speaker which can play any song you can compose that actually has benefits in battle.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Also, Warframe is introducing a playable shamisen "shawzen," making it a cyborg ninja third-person shooter Tony Hawk hoverboard-riding spear-fishing extravaganza where you can have improptu jam sessions. For more fun, add the playable character Octavia who can summon a rolling speaker which can play any song you can compose that actually has benefits in battle.

So, a dumb joke they put into this latest Warframe update for a laugh.

The main draw of this update is Gauss, a new Warframe who's basically just The Flash; his whole moveset revolves around super speed. But the word 'Gauss' has actually already been used in the game; it's a cosmetic, the 'Gauss Helmet' for the Warframe Mag. Basically just a little coincidence, it's a common enough word that it's fair enough they used it before.

They decided to make a joke of it, and Gauss launched with his own cosmetic: The 'Mag Helmet'.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly the fact that they leaned into it rather than renaming the helmet is probably one of the better examples of why i like de.

Speaking of gauss the fact that they made a super speed frame and made bashing into walls not only a part of his kit, but not even really slow you down is just fantastic. When you collide with a wall it makes a decent sized shockwave that does damage and ragdolls enemies, and instead of doing a stun animation you just resume moving like normal. Even on tighter maps its a good idea to use his dash a lot just because of it being designed so well.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Copy-paste from when I accidentally posted this in the drag-down thread:

The Explorer vehicle (basically a buggy) in Satisfactory has the most satisfying (pun not intended) experience for a vehicle in a relatively open-world game since, like, Halo's warthog. It's fast but controls really well over minor hazards like rocks, and has solid well-some-idiot-driving-this-thing-flipped-it-so-reset-it-to-work mechanics. It destroys ambient plantlife around too, so it's a crude/temporary this-is-where-you-came-from landmark generator, too.

Plus, in terms of it being a game about making a giant worldwide factory, it has huge benefits there too. It can run on any fuel you're able to create, including fuel based on plant matter, so there's no possibility of having to strand the thing. It has a boatload of storage and has a workbench on the back, so a "poo poo I need to go back to base for X" situation becomes a "I just need to drive over there to get the raw materials for mats". It's just awesome.

Plus (and I think this is more for the tractor and trucks for the game), all vehicles have the ability to record both position and path. Haven't used it myself, but supposedly you can drive one of those vehicles from one place (a pickup point), drive it to another (a factory), and the game takes your path back and forth.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Exposing my inner sperg here, but I love that the developers of the flight sim DCS have integrated wake turbulence into the game.

https://youtu.be/82Q3kd4v3bw

I don't even play it as I don't any of the gear needed, but I wish I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Subnautica is doing an outstanding job of making me feel like a tiny, fragile speck in a dangerous, indifferent environment.

I've never played a game that captured that sort of feeling of dread and awe in the face of creatures that can end you on a whim, yet in a very primal, naturalistic sense, rather than outright horror.