Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

perhaps i'm misreading it

anyway i guess i willl continue to play cultist simulator because I enjoy the game and it doesn't benefit Kennedy any more. if stopping playing would benefit anyone harmed by him in any way then i will do that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

perhaps i'm misreading it

anyway i guess i willl continue to play cultist simulator because I enjoy the game and it doesn't benefit Kennedy any more. if stopping playing would benefit anyone harmed by him in any way then i will do that instead.

Actually, I’m just trying to cover up for not having read to the end of the thread before posting. Turns out a rapist made it so no way, no how.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah if you haven't bought it, don't. If you own it play it or don't, who cares. It literally changes nothing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

He sounds like a lovely and manipulative guy, but calling him a rapist seems a bit extreme since none of the accusers said that as far as I can tell.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Yes let's argue about the precise degree of shittiness for a few pages because one person offhandedly called a predatory piece of poo poo a rapist, we must have clarity!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rapist, abuser, whatever, all scum.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ugh, why do things I like have to be made by lovely people?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If your enjoyment of things relies on the people involved in making them not being complete and total assholes, you're in for a bad time.

Failing that just go support another indie studio until they inevitably get exposed as also being awful. Circle of life.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

dogstile posted:

If your enjoyment of things relies on the people involved in making them not being complete and total assholes, you're in for a bad time.

Less that and more

BlondRobin posted:

True, but now it reads like 'Serial Sexual Abuser Simulator,' and whether you're doing it for supreme doom enlightenment or not I think most people aren't excited to play that as much.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

SettingSun posted:

Ugh, why do things I like have to be made by lovely people?

Most people are lovely is the answer, I would say.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Was following this game hoping to pick it up at some point but I guess that's not gonna happen now.

If you enjoy cult/Lovecraftian settings and you haven't played Darkest Dungeon you should do that instead!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sunless Skies, as Matt Lees has pointed out, has all the good qualities of an Alexis Kennedy game without Alexis Kennedy benefiting from the sale.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tormented posted:

Just remember how much Lovecraft was a racist hosed up rear end in a top hat. I will not be buying anymore of his works or recommending anything he has written. I will try to look pass it but man come on how loving hard is it just to treat people like people.

That’ll show him.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Wow, randomly checking this thread for the first time in months and just learning all this. AK is the reason I joined twitter after I had the idea that I ought to engage more with social media if only to follow artists and creators whose work I like. This is majorly disappointing and disgusting. Poor Lottie.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
The Weather Factory discord should be preserved by anthropologists. They haven't explicitly banned discussion but they turned on the slowmode posting and if it gets too heated they temporarily ban it.

The juxtaposition of long-time fans truly agonizing over this news; real soul-searching about whether or not they can associate with this company and their products, posting walls of text going over the torment they feel side-by-side with a dude going "this better not gently caress up the BoH ks, loving SJWs"

my personal favorite is the variety of poster who is like, "ackshually he did not commit a crime, and has yet to be convicted in a court of law by a jury of his peers, so your decision to stop supporting this company is simply irrational" with zero irony and increasing levels of dissonance/hostility

frest fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 30, 2019

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
So, as one of those "long-time fans" who is fairly deep into the fandom and various associates around the game and AK's circle. However bad it looks on surface level?

Yeah, it's worse than that.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Zengetsu posted:

So, as one of those "long-time fans" who is fairly deep into the fandom and various associates around the game and AK's circle. However bad it looks on surface level?

Yeah, it's worse than that.

I was thinking about it- if his behaviors were so well known, that also means that guys like Gardiner or Arendt had to have known and just let it happen. The more I think about this the worse it gets.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

frest posted:

I was thinking about it- if his behaviors were so well known, that also means that guys like Gardiner or Arendt had to have known and just let it happen. The more I think about this the worse it gets.

Maybe yes, maybe no. A lot of people are saying it was an "open secret", but based on what I've been hearing, I'm not sure how much I actually buy into that outlook. It does appear that there was a bit of a whisper network, but it also seems to have been an extremely secretive one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Zengetsu posted:

Maybe yes, maybe no. A lot of people are saying it was an "open secret", but based on what I've been hearing, I'm not sure how much I actually buy into that outlook. It does appear that there was a bit of a whisper network, but it also seems to have been an extremely secretive one.

I can say from personal experience that I heard from someone in the games industry that Kennedy was a #MeToo waiting to happen, so it was definitely knowledge that was available to certain people.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

frest posted:

The Weather Factory discord should be preserved by anthropologists. They haven't explicitly banned discussion but they turned on the slowmode posting and if it gets too heated they temporarily ban it.

The juxtaposition of long-time fans truly agonizing over this news; real soul-searching about whether or not they can associate with this company and their products, posting walls of text going over the torment they feel side-by-side with a dude going "this better not gently caress up the BoH ks, loving SJWs"

my personal favorite is the variety of poster who is like, "ackshually he did not commit a crime, and has yet to be convicted in a court of law by a jury of his peers, so your decision to stop supporting this company is simply irrational" with zero irony and increasing levels of dissonance/hostility

i've personally seen a level beyond that, that this is an intentional psyops campaign designed to discredit the BoH ks (their words)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I've been trying to rewire myself out of the "feel bad that the creators work was ruined for you" way of thinking and it's really struck me, especially in this case, how many awesome writers who were inspired by AK (and subsequently tried to work with him because of that) now have no desire to work in the industry because of his actions. And I'm upset that their work won't see the light of day.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Zengetsu posted:

It does appear that there was a bit of a whisper network, but it also seems to have been an extremely secretive one.

There's definitely a whisper network among female game developers, that unfortunately has to be kept on the down low because the wrong word at the wrong place can get you in the crosshairs of gamergaters, with the doxxing, death and rape threats that usually implies. So yeah, there's definitely been enough victims to register, it just hasn't come to light because it wasn't safe (and arguably still isn't, considering the ones that have come out have been getting harassment and reassurance/praise in equal measure).

frest
Sep 17, 2004

GulagDolls posted:

i've personally seen a level beyond that, that this is an intentional psyops campaign designed to discredit the BoH ks (their words)

I saw that today on reddit and immediately closed the thread. I know from the discord last night that all this stuff is getting boosted on /v/ which means this poo poo is going to get WAY WORSE before it goes away.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Zengetsu posted:

Its always a low-key whisper network with these things because anything more than that fucks with your employment, because that's how people get away with it for so long.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Pylons posted:

I've been trying to rewire myself out of the "feel bad that the creators work was ruined for you" way of thinking and it's really struck me, especially in this case, how many awesome writers who were inspired by AK (and subsequently tried to work with him because of that) now have no desire to work in the industry because of his actions. And I'm upset that their work won't see the light of day.

I love Kennedy's work. I'm also glad and grateful that someone who apparently routinely abused other people has been called out, and I hope the industry responds by ensuring he's no longer in a position to abuse his power or prey on others. It looks like #metoo is hitting gaming, and I suspect we'll see lots more prominent figures called out for atrocious behavior. Again, I hope the end result of this is that people who abuse others are removed from positions of power and held accountable for their acts.

But I really hope that the revelations don't cause people inspired by the WORK to give up their passion. Unfortunately, lovely people in positions of power and influence have long been part of human history. My hope is that we're a seeing a trend where that kind of behavior is now actually punished and results in consequences for the perpetrators, and we'll see more people able to share and develop their talent without fear of predators down the line.

There's a cliche that talent and lovely behavior go together. I don't think that's true at all. I think we've put people with talent on a pedestal, and they let it get to their head, and they get away with poo poo that's completely unacceptable. And our general society has been incredibly unjust for millennia; when was marital rape declared illegal in the United States? I am optimistic that we're seeing the tide finally turn on this.

I'm angry at the perpetrators, and I feel awful for the victims, but I'm glad that we're finally starting to see justice and I'm optimistic that the end result of this will be a kinder industry and society.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Zengetsu posted:

One of my absolute best friends had been warned about him; she was actually who I found out about this from, from her relief at him having been called out. I actually also have a personal experience where nothing inappropriate happened, but basically if things had even been slightly different-- let's just say this puts that interaction with him in a new light. I was hosed up Wednesday because of it.

I noped out of the discord basically immediately. I never really hung out there, just used it for the guides, but...... well, that's some work I'm not ever playing again so it's not like I need those guides anymore.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...
Rock Paper Shotgun put up a decent article on the fallout since the accusations came to light. Alexis is refuting at least the severity of the accusations and says he is looking into sueing one of his accusers. RPS seems to be trying to lay out all the info neutrally but found that Alexis was lying about the part of his claim that he did date his subordinate, but he says her stopped being her manager shortly afterword. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/09/04/alexis-kennedy-denies-allegations-of-abusive-or-coercive-behaviour/

I'm still feeling down that the writer of such bizzare and creative worlds is at best a creep and at worst a serial predator. I really wish he would have taken appropriate steps to self reflect, apologize and adjust his behavior. The way hes responded just makes me wonder how much more will never come to light and makes it unconscionable to continue to support any future works of his as much as I have enjoyed and taken inspiration from his previous works.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Note also how Olivia Wood says she got dumped via IM by Alexis, notifying her that he'd cheated on her with a colleague at a Halloween party, and in the puff piece about him and his current fiancee they go on about how they finally officially became a couple at the company Halloween party.

So either Halloween's a lucky time of year for him, or Alexis was actively seeing Olivia even as he was doing his "ooh, shouldn't date subordinates" dance with Lottie Bevan.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Their response on Discord feels pretty manipulative. From what I can tell, AK and Alec barely knew each other, so invoking his death in a sentence complaining about how the accusations come from a "hate mob" is offputting. They also posted this a couple hours before Scott Benson posted a huge post about how Alec would manipulate him with suicide threats for years. Gross.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 6, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol "the intercalate has happened"

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Star Guarded posted:

Their response on Discord feels pretty manipulative. From what I can tell, AK and Alec barely knew each other, so invoking his death in a sentence complaining about how the accusations come from a "hate mob" is offputting. They also posted this a couple hours before Scott Benson posted a huge post about how Alec would manipulate him with suicide threats for years. Gross.

“I didn’t actually know AK, but I fear his fate (which I imply was undeserved); pray for me and await me, those I love best!”

Yeah, it drips with the facile bullshit of someone who is used to being good with words and therefore good at manipulating people.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Star Guarded posted:

Everyone should really take the time to read the Scott Benson post: https://medium.com/@bombsfall/alec-2618dc1e23e

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3kxd99/games-industry-wrestles-with-multiple-new-allegations-of-abuse

quote:

In a series of private messages to VICE Games, Kennedy said, “if everything Jayanth had said was literally true, which it isn’t, then that still falls short of abuse and clearly under the heading of being irresponsible.” He claimed to have contacted the police to “make a complaint” over Jayanth’s comments. We contacted the police department Kennedy said he filed a complaint with, and it would neither confirm nor deny the existence of a report.

Shortly after, Kennedy asked to have his previous (and on the record) comments retracted, which is against standard journalistic practice. Kennedy then passed on the contact information for his legal representation, who, when contacted, had no official comment.

Lmao

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 6, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I get that being roasted publicly (deserved or not) must be an extremely stressful experience, but anyone in his life who cares about him really needs to take all AK's devices away and tell him to stop talking, because everything that he's said so far has just made the allegations seem more plausible and makes it harder for him to say that he's learned and changed since his previous bad behavior. If he'd said he doesn't believe he was an abuser but he realizes he's behaved inappropriately, knows he's hurt people, and that he's sincerely sorry for that, his rehabilitation would have been a lot more likely. Maybe it'll all blow over eventually anyway since he's talented, nobody's accused him of an actual crime yet, and he seems to have the support of his fiancee so far, but he's really not doing himself any favors.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm not guilty *starts rapidly yelling in every direction and linking people to my lawyer*

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wait wasn't the Intercalate due to sex that shouldn't have happened

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm not guilty *starts rapidly yelling in every direction and linking people to my lawyer*

Even if you're not guilty you should still get a lawyer. I'm not defending any other part of what he's been accused of but i refuse to see lawyering up as an admission of guilt.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

This is exactly how that Zac Smith dude reacted every time someone called him out for being a giant piece of poo poo.

Rally your own fans on social media to support you, deny and discredit your accusers.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

dogstile posted:

Even if you're not guilty you should still get a lawyer. I'm not defending any other part of what he's been accused of but i refuse to see lawyering up as an admission of guilt.

It’s not the lawyering up by itself that’s eyebrow raising, it’s the very public use of the threat of legal action to intimidate and silence his accuser. If he’s innocent it’s very unlikely he would of made such a showy proclamation on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

OTOH telling people you’re lawyering up and forgetting to tell your lawyer is a rookie mistake. The trick is to completely stay silent and allow the lawyer room to maneuver that doesn’t involve the defense just bringing in a stack of tweets.