Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Imagine being a goon and trying to dunk on someone else's fashion choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Speak for yourself, I have the fashion sense (and physique) of Seabass.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I only ever wear a speedo and my Alabama helmet I'm the best dressed Man on the forums

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That's the great thing about getting old, you don't give a flying gently caress.

Sort of like how the AFC South approaches things.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

god dammit no

quote:

The Houston Chronicle reports the Seahawks and Eagles have been in trade talks for unsigned franchise player Jadeveon Clowney.
The Dolphins are the frontrunners for Clowney, but the Texans have reached out to two of his preferred teams. The Jets and Washington have also expressed interest. Houston has been in a holding pattern with Clowney, who won't report or sign his franchise tender. Clowney is upset over being shopped and is willing to sit out regular season games. The three-time Pro Bowler looks destined to be traded before Week 1.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Play posted:

yeah after his first tough year for the Colts I was one of those people saying that Brisket could do a lot more than that and was handed one of the shittiest situations possible that year. I still believe that situation was lovely but I'm not really sure if Jacoby's any good. It'll be interesting to watch at least, certainly I expect him to do better than 2017

Here is a good article detailing just how atrocious the coaching was thst year:
https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/the-unbelievable-story-of-the-2017-colts/

Brissett had basically two problems: he holds onto the ball forever and his accuracy isn't great. Let's see if (hopefully) competent coaching and being in the system for more than 2 weeks to start the season helps.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shadow225 posted:

Brissett had basically two problems: he holds onto the ball forever and his accuracy isn't great.

i've often seen QB's overcome problems with pocket presence, decision making and accuracy.

famous examples include:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

His decision making isn't bad. He was just put in a hole by perpetually being in 3rd and long and hoping that TY could bail him out while sitting behind a line that severed Luck's kidney.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shadow225 posted:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/the-unbelievable-story-of-the-2017-colts/

Brissett had basically two problems: he holds onto the ball forever and his accuracy isn't great. Let's see if (hopefully) competent coaching and being in the system for more than 2 weeks to start the season helps.

Thank you for reposting that, cause I could not for the life of me remember where it was from (I may have read the original twitter thread). 2017 was basically the year Pagano didn't have Grigson forcing him to use lovely players, and he proved to be one of the most conservative coaches in history.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1167089609383264256

Pay the man, Jerry.

Or don’t and screw up your team. :shrug:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm very torn on Clowney, we definitely need DL help but the cost would be way too high and these trades haven't really worked for us in the past mostly due to injuries (which Clowney has had trouble with).

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Seahawks and Clowney makes no sense to me because they moved Frank Clark because, presumably, they didn't want to pay him, so they're going to trade for Clowney to have to pay him next season or let him walk...am I missing something?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Silly Burrito posted:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1167089609383264256

Pay the man, Jerry.

Or don’t and screw up your team. :shrug:

I'm down on dak and Zeke is still the least important of him, Cooper, and dak

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Seahawks and Clowney makes no sense to me because they moved Frank Clark because, presumably, they didn't want to pay him, so they're going to trade for Clowney to have to pay him next season or let him walk...am I missing something?

It's gonna be the Dolphins because the sun is too hot in Miami and it melts brains apparently.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dolphins have no business sending draft capital for a player like clowney they'll have to commit long term money because of the state of their team so lmao of course they do it

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Raku posted:

I realize you’re an Alabama man, but Amari Cooper over Zeke?

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Dolphins have no business sending draft capital for a player like clowney they'll have to commit long term money because of the state of their team so lmao of course they do it

No man, they're trying to trade Tunsil lol.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
How many teams even have the cap space to absorb a franchise contract?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wandler20 posted:

Over 20 teams have $10m+ in space, so could afford Clowney with easy restructures, about half could just add him no problem.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

Do the Colts still have a ton of space?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Silly Burrito posted:

I realize you’re an Alabama man, but Amari Cooper over Zeke?

The line can't block for wide receivers. You can get a pretty good running back cheaper than a wide receiver that makes a difference.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kalli posted:

Over 20 teams have $10m+ in space, so could afford Clowney with easy restructures, about half could just add him no problem.

Gotcha. I figured his tag would be like ~$17m since he's a pass rusher.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wandler20 posted:

Gotcha. I figured his tag would be like ~$17m since he's a pass rusher.

It is, but you can create $10m in cap space by restructuring a couple contracts if you have to. It's not that big of a deal if you're considering trading for a dude like that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's the same hype the Rams had last preseason

One crucial difference is that the Rams were the 2 seed in the NFC the year before and I believe scored more points per game in the regular season than anyone else. The Browns weren't anybody, and besides Baker getting 27 touchdowns as a rookie I can't think of a stat they necessarily dominated in. So it's a liiiiiittttllle bit more of a projection.

I like the Browns and think they're gonna win a good amount of games, just pointing out the differences there

Shadow225 posted:

Yep, a lot of things against him that year, but you hit on my actual concern: accuracy. If Jacoby can put it where he wants it he should be fine. If he's missing throws as much as we've seen in the past it could be a tough year.

Raku posted:

I'm not sure about that. I think we'll see that the offense without Zeke is gonna be missing a huge part of it. His best leverage will be if they go 1-3 or something which, looking at the schedule.... is pretty unlikely. 3-1 is probably more likely because they'd have to loose to 2/3 of the Giants, Washington and Miami. But I think that offense doesn't work all that well without Zeke, it's not as easy as people think to replace 304 positive plays and 1,434 yards.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

Do the Colts still have a ton of space?

I'm not sure if OverTheCap is accurate to this very moment, but the Colts have $56 million free. The Texans would never trade him within the division... but they have loving $37 million free so why don't they pay Clowney?! The Browns and Titans both also are listed having over $30 million free, and they'd never send him to Tennessee. The 49ers are the first non-AFC team, with over $27 million and a dead Bosa brother, but I don't think I've seen their name come up once in possible landing spots for Clowney.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1167104019308974083

Nov 6, 2002

Can he play center?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm really confused at why these teams which are having such serious struggles with their offensive lines are shipping out players to New England. They must really think they're trash but I bet Scarnecchia manages to fix them, or not. Harder and harder to find tackles anywhere though, stocking up seems to make sense.

He's only played guard and tackle but of course it's possible. The cool thing is he's from London and I also thought this tidbit was funny:

quote:

He became interested in American football after watching the 2007 Miami Dolphins-New York Giants game on television.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Play posted:

He's only played guard and tackle but of course it's possible. The cool thing is he's from London and I also thought this tidbit was funny:

Lol that game sucked. It was rainy and gross and the only interesting play was Eli slow scrambling into the endzone for the only touchdown

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Play posted:

One crucial difference is that the Rams were the 2 seed in the NFC the year before and I believe scored more points per game in the regular season than anyone else.

Lol. In the regular season:

Chiefs: 565 / 35.3 ppg
Rams: 527 / 32.9 ppg

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strobe posted:

Lol. In the regular season:

Chiefs: 565 / 35.3 ppg
Rams: 527 / 32.9 ppg

I was talking about 2017, my man. Which is what the poster who I quoted was talking about

Febreeze posted:

Lol that game sucked. It was rainy and gross and the only interesting play was Eli slow scrambling into the endzone for the only touchdown

I kind of assumed it did suck but I was waiting for someone to confirm

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Send Clowney to the Steelers so they can have 15 sacks per game

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember when the Ross announced a new way of doing things? No more expensive vets who didn't bring playoffs, he said! Build through the draft! Sustained winning seasons! The right way!

Turns out, that maybe was a lie.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Mods please make my av text Fish Smithson ty

Queued.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Eagles make sense for Clowney as we keep taking one year out of a contract year player to great effect and we need DL help. We won’t try to sign him long term and he will help is make a push this year. The only potential issue is how much a leverageless Houston thinks he’s worth.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

fartknocker posted:

I'm not sure if OverTheCap is accurate to this very moment, but the Colts have $56 million free. The Texans would never trade him within the division... but they have loving $37 million free so why don't they pay Clowney?! The Browns and Titans both also are listed having over $30 million free, and they'd never send him to Tennessee. The 49ers are the first non-AFC team, with over $27 million and a dead Bosa brother, but I don't think I've seen their name come up once in possible landing spots for Clowney.

They can't pay him anymore, the deadline for an extension has passed. Clowney is pissed now and wants to be traded because by all appearances the Texans just didn't negiotiate with him at all.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Play posted:

One crucial difference is that the Rams were the 2 seed in the NFC the year before and I believe scored more points per game in the regular season than anyone else. The Browns weren't anybody, and besides Baker getting 27 touchdowns as a rookie I can't think of a stat they necessarily dominated in. So it's a liiiiiittttllle bit more of a projection.

The Rams were the number 4 seed in 2017, they lost that wildcard game against Atlanta(mostly because of Pharoh Cooper muffing two punts early), but yeah hiring McVay and adding pieces to the offense flipped them from the 32nd scoring offense in 2016 to the number 1 scoring offense in 2017.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Seahawks turned Clark into like 11 players through draft day trades. I think they were hoping for another big season from reed and decent play from Ansah and hopefully more development from players like Martin. But with reed out for the first 6 weeks and the play of the dline in preseason they know that this defense needs help since the secondary is very middle of the road.

I'm all aboard shipping a 2nd plus something else for clowney. The hawks have 10 picks next year including 2 seconds. And if clowney walks he probably comps for a 3rd. Ansah is on a 1 year deal and will probably warrant some sort of comp pick if he doesn't get injured (big if) and the Seahawks pick up extra picks each draft. Wilson is in his prime. The defense looks like the weak link. loving go for it. People over value draft picks

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

The Rams were the number 4 seed in 2017, they lost that wildcard game against Atlanta(mostly because of Pharoh Cooper muffing two punts early), but yeah hiring McVay and adding pieces to the offense flipped them from the 32nd scoring offense in 2016 to the number 1 scoring offense in 2017.

You're right, I screwed that part up which probably confused Strobe. They were the six seed that year (pretty low for scoring all those points). The main point was there was a bit more to hang your hat on in hyping the Rams for 2018 than hyping the Browns for 2019. The Browns may well do great but there are plenty of unknowns too.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Seahawks turned Clark into like 11 players through draft day trades. I think they were hoping for another big season from reed and decent play from Ansah and hopefully more development from players like Martin. But with reed out for the first 6 weeks and the play of the dline in preseason they know that this defense needs help since the secondary is very middle of the road.

I'm all aboard shipping a 2nd plus something else for clowney. The hawks have 10 picks next year including 2 seconds. And if clowney walks he probably comps for a 3rd. Ansah is on a 1 year deal and will probably warrant some sort of comp pick if he doesn't get injured (big if) and the Seahawks pick up extra picks each draft. Wilson is in his prime. The defense looks like the weak link. loving go for it. People over value draft picks

Yeah the Seahawks actually make more sense than any other team mentioned just based on need as well as being in a win now phase

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1167062757797191681

Weeden will be 36 in October lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Athanatos posted:

Remember when the Ross announced a new way of doing things? No more expensive vets who didn't bring playoffs, he said! Build through the draft! Sustained winning seasons! The right way!

Turns out, that maybe was a lie.

Queued.

*fistbump*