Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Disney's gonna have to buy the TSA somehow, as apparently you aren't suppose to bring your Batuu bottles on the plane, checked or carry-on.

https://twitter.com/ladailynews/status/1166486000320823301

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I mean you can’t bring full water bottles on a plane either so I figured that was the reason, then I read where the idiot said it was because they’re bomb “replicas” and I couldn’t stop laughing.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Quixotic1 posted:

Disney's gonna have to buy the TSA somehow, as apparently you aren't suppose to bring your Batuu bottles on the plane, checked or carry-on.

https://twitter.com/ladailynews/status/1166486000320823301

Unless MCO gets busy and they move to their classic plan of "gently caress it let everyone through". The poo poo I have seen go through at that TSA checkpoint is amazing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6uqGtYEl4o

Yeah, those are, uh, full scale AT-ATs.

quote:

After being captured by the First Order, we huddled near the door awaiting to experience what was on the other side. What we saw can only be described as jaw-dropping and other-worldly in terms of design.

The entire hangar bay of a Star Destroyer is recreated in one of the largest rooms I’ve ever seen used for an attraction. The space feels like it was at least three stories tall — it housed a full-size Tie Fighter.

Along the back of the room is a large display showing open space, and in front are three rows of Stormtroopers — about 14 soldiers each — standing at attention. The cold temperature in the room — while pleasing after being in the hot sun — really brings to life the ominous situation in which you find yourself captured. Disney Imagineers said the scale of the project was a must when it comes to recreating the experience from Star Wars.

Now, back to the ride: Guests will find themselves on a prison transport driven by an R5 droid, which isn’t that good at its job. Some fortunate turns later and the ride car finds an escape pod.

Trowbridge said here is another intriguing part of the ride. “The troop transport ship is the first ride system [of this kind] and an ambitious technological experience that takes multiple ride systems and merges it,” he said, noting that the car will enter a simulator-like area that now converts the trackless ride into a simulator, which now will show how the escape pod is launched with a drop.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 28, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok I wasn’t buying the hype but the little section of Kylo burning the hole in the ceiling got me hyped.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Empress Brosephine posted:

Ok I wasn’t buying the hype but the little section of Kylo burning the hole in the ceiling got me hyped.

I don’t even understand how they’re going to do that, but Same.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My cousin travels even more frequently than I do and given his career work, he often has pocket knives on him (with other small tools). He's realized one is in his pocket once he's on the plane at least a dozen times.

But make sure you get the coke bottles.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The lightsaber is very cool but it’s a physical prop connected to a wall. I can sort of imagine how they do it.

If they manage to make blaster bolts look as good as they do in the video, I’ll be gobsmacked

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
There was a patent leaked a few years ago during early development of the star wars stuff about simulating blaster bolts right?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Oh hey they did!

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/disney-replicates-midair-star-wars-blaster-effects-for-live-shows-in-newest-patent/

I wasn’t expecting the effect to look that good, but I suppose there’s almost certainly some digital wizardry at work. I’m very curious how things look live

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I think someone was asking about these

https://twitter.com/wdwmagic/status/1166706000168128512?s=21

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
the metal gift cards & the gringotts gift card wizard money are genius

people buy them as souvenirs and never spend them, it's basically printing money

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I would definitely use that. The staff already encourages you to play along.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My wife strongly disagrees with the gringotts stuff. She wanted physical coins and got a piece of paper. She was furious and to this day it is the thing she most remembers about Harry Potter at Universal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When you use the 'gift card' can't you just keep it even if it has a zero balance? Do you have to physically surrender it when you use it? Aaaand do they sell those at DL?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

When you use the 'gift card' can't you just keep it even if it has a zero balance? Do you have to physically surrender it when you use it? Aaaand do they sell those at DL?

It’s a reloadable card. They initially “gave them out” with a $100 minimum at Disneyland, and it’s yours to keep and reuse.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s a reloadable card. They initially “gave them out” with a $100 minimum at Disneyland, and it’s yours to keep and reuse.

That's what I figured but I wasn't sure since someone mentioned people would buy them and never use them.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Someone let me know when I should start questioning my decision to fly in at midnight on Saturday for parks on Sunday and Monday with this storm set to arrive Sunday afternoon.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Godaaammmmmmmmmmm
I had a frozen Butterbeer today and I’m in Mythos and Halloween party is Friday SWGE Saturday super loving early and I’m going to hurricane party it at Disney and my flight already has insurance because who the heck knows if I’m flying out Monday evening now.

Braks you can do it lets partyyyyyyy

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

couldcareless posted:

Someone let me know when I should start questioning my decision to fly in at midnight on Saturday for parks on Sunday and Monday with this storm set to arrive Sunday afternoon.

Yeeeeeeeah I don't think that will work out well given all the current models

Bet the parks won't be open on Sunday if this stays the same.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm still planning to fly in on Saturday, but I moved my flight from a 2 pm arrival to an 8:30 am arrival. We'll see how it goes.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think we are gonna play it by ear and either make the call Friday or Saturday to cancel the trip. Luckily Disney is incredibly nice about the hurricane thing and gives you full refund if there's a hurricane warning for Orlando.
This is really just the Disney gods punishing us for doing a last minute trip.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

"Spirit

Spirit officials said in a press release that passengers scheduled to travel between Aug. 30 and Sept. 5 to Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Haiti can rebook their flights and the airline will waive the change fee, with no fare difference.

Passengers can Visit Spirit’s Manage Travel page, or by calling the Spirit Reservations Center at 801-401-2222."

https://www.wfla.com/weather/tracki...U_RoXwOYduE7N60

I'd call and see if they have a timeline for florida. I bet they do.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I was honestly willing to just eat the $133 loss. I doubt we will find another opportunity in the near future to go, this was sort of a "we have a 3 day weekend let's use it" sorta deal. Plus I don't enjoy flying Spirit

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Even if you get to Orlando... The parks could be closed both Sunday and Monday and there will be delays at the airport when you are trying to leave. You may not get back home for days.

Just take the free cancelations and plan a trip some other time.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So wait time for Smugglers is only 5 hours compared to Hagrids which had a 12 hour wait on launch. Is Star Wars land a flop?!?!

Just kidding. Any of you there for opening day?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Zero One posted:

Even if you get to Orlando... The parks could be closed both Sunday and Monday and there will be delays at the airport when you are trying to leave. You may not get back home for days.

Just take the free cancelations and plan a trip some other time.

The problem is that we're due to arrive Saturday. If they don't issue any warnings, they don't give you free cancellations. So if the warning isn't issued until after we're a no-show, that's at least $1700 down the drain. That ain't chump change.

As of right now, we're still planning to go since Saturday looks clear. I'm due to fly home late Wednesday, but my friend is staying on longer anyway so if I have to stay longer, we still have a room. It's not ideal, but it's not the end of the world.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'd honestly be shocked if they weren't willing to work with you on that. The problem is getting through the hour long phone queue that's consistent right now.

I'm less worried about being stuck at Disney during a storm. The problem is being stuck at Disney during the storm while it blows by and heads straight to Nola and we can't get back there to properly evacuate our pups and have to rely on MiL to do it...

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

The wait times at every not HS park are hilarious right now. Five minutes at Splash, Space, Big Thunder, Peter Pan (!!). 5 minutes at Everest and Dinosaur, 15 for Kili Safaris. Flight of Passage and Mine Train are at 30.

I don’t remember these sorts of distortions from Pandora’s opening, and certainly not from TSL.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boxman posted:

The wait times at every not HS park are hilarious right now. Five minutes at Splash, Space, Big Thunder, Peter Pan (!!). 5 minutes at Everest and Dinosaur, 15 for Kili Safaris. Flight of Passage and Mine Train are at 30.

I don’t remember these sorts of distortions from Pandora’s opening, and certainly not from TSL.

But didn’t you hear? Galaxy’s Edge is a failure! It’s down the tubes! Nobody wants to go! They’re gonna turn it into Aladdin in shame!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheDIS/status/1167065972328603648

Big yikes

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

My good friend who is a travel agent was there at the 6am opening. 5 hours wait for Smugglers within 15 minutes.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ResortTV1 is livestreaming the madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQm_MNoPqCY

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

So wait time for Smugglers is only 5 hours compared to Hagrids which had a 12 hour wait on launch.

What is the passenger rate these two rides support? Is that information available anywhere?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

What a loving ghost town.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re about to see the eighth park closing in history. Dorian seems to be solidifying into a “gently caress Orlando” path.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I mean you expect initial crowds to be nuts. I think a lot of people are talking about long-term staying power based on two rides and... kind of like star wars land: disney springs edition.

I figure it'll do well for a while to come (better than TSL) but I do hope they put more in it that isn't "bring money" create-a-stuff and drink some weird colored milk. An enclosed show would be really great in a year or two.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think a lot of people are talking about long-term staying power based on two rides and... kind of like star wars land: disney springs edition.

How is that any different than any land in any park? That's exactly what the harry potter worlds are and in the case of Diagon Alley it's 1 ride and a transport "ride" and everyone loves it. We've seen that the world building and IP/branding carries most of the weight and everything else is secondary, and Star Wars + Disney is the strongest branding combo on the planet.

As for shows, the roaming organic character interactions are really good and help the place feel real and I would much rather see them ramp that stuff up more since that was an initial selling point of the project.

someone posted this on Reddit; 4 am crowd this morning

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 29, 2019

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I figure it'll do well for a while to come (better than TSL)

I get what you’re saying but at this moment there is a 70 minute wait for slinky dog dash.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

kind of like star wars land: disney springs edition.
I’m a big ol Star Wars nerd but I don’t think I’m alone when I say I’m SUPER here for exactly this.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 29, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

How is that any different than any land in any park? That's exactly what the harry potter worlds are and in the case of Diagon Alley it's 1 ride and a transport "ride" and everyone loves it. We've seen that the world building and IP/branding carries most of the weight and everything else is secondary, and Star Wars + Disney is the strongest branding combo on the planet.

As for shows, the roaming organic character interactions are really good and help the place feel real and I would much rather see them ramp that stuff up more since that was an initial selling point of the project.

I think this is the best point to make. A lot of people (including in this thread) have a somewhat traditional, conservative view of theme parks being based around attractions and shows and judge them based on specific entertainment options. Everything is listed on a map and fits neatly into a specific category like "roller coaster" or "restaurant" or "gift shop." The idea of an immersive environment where entertainment comes from everywhere and guests are encouraged to engage in roleplaying and interaction with the environment around them is a very new one, rooted in the emerging prominence of escape rooms and interactive theatre (members of whom I know Disney consulted with on this project).

Rise of the Resistance and Smuggler's Run both show this on a small scale by having the entire experience be the attraction from the time you get in the queue. The Disney Play app lets you occupy your time with games that further immerse you in the story and require you to pay attention to things around you, like identifying components and hacking the comm array on the Falcon to help Hondo with his diagnostics on the ship. Rise of the Resistance has an elaborate preshow with a giant set and animatronics before transferring to a trackless ride vehicle, which then becomes a simulator partway through. It doesn't fit neatly into any traditional ride category and breaks a lot of boundaries, which comes off as odd if you're not thinking that way.

Galaxy's Edge is the forefront of a new way of looking at theme park entertainment, and probably the way a lot of entertainment options are going to go in the 21st century. Interactivity and immersion are the new buzzwords and will probably be here to stay for a long time as technology allows for more and more advanced expressions of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

couldcareless posted:

I'd honestly be shocked if they weren't willing to work with you on that. The problem is getting through the hour long phone queue that's consistent right now.

I'm less worried about being stuck at Disney during a storm. The problem is being stuck at Disney during the storm while it blows by and heads straight to Nola and we can't get back there to properly evacuate our pups and have to rely on MiL to do it...

At this point, they are very much not working with anyone from what I can see. Of course, we'll see tomorrow since the NHC will have updates and we'll be approx 48 hrs from landfall.