Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Huh? In general, I believe that most lathes can turn either direction, but I think that you want the chuck and the work spinning toward you so the tool bit cuts efficiently into the work. Also, I think that some metal lathe chucks thread on in a particular direction, so you want them spinning so as to keep them tight (usually spinning counter clockwise to tighten a standard threaded part) instead of loosening the chuck.

You are absolutely right, it's been almost 2 decades since I last used a lathe, so I dont remember poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I did not respect the lathe once and thought I'd try polishing a small metal rod on a buffing attachment but in the opposite direction since it worked better for what I was doing.

20 seconds later it launched the rod straight into my face splitting my lip.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Power take‐off shafts are like lathes except they don’t look dangerous and you’re climbing around them on uneven ground while drunk and on your way to heat exhaustion.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
The tech who installed one of our CNC mills told me a story about a lathe shop down in Pacoima that ruined a machine by launching a tree trunk-sized aluminum blank(custom wheel shop). Apparently, the chunk tore the door off of the machine, went through the roof of the shop and ended up on a nearby road :stare:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

null_pointer posted:

Any objection to me emailing the mods and asking for a title change?

Do you have me on ignore? Same page friend. Need some feedback cuz this title was soo good. Idc though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just dooooo it, sheesh

The truckfucklers had their time.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Them's fightin words

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Burt Sexual posted:

Do you have me on ignore? Same page friend. Need some feedback cuz this title was soo good. Idc though.

I do not have you on ignore, dear sir. I am simply overwhelmed by your OSHA compliant luminescense to think straight.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bad Munki posted:

Just dooooo it, sheesh

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Them's fightin words

Then fight me

Come on, buddy, drive my train, forge my iron, fuckle my truck

e: to be clear, that is not intended as a pickup line

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Too late, that's the dirtiest anyone has talked to me in years and I'm all riled up

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Go take a cold shower, Roy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

You are absolutely right, it's been almost 2 decades since I last used a lathe, so I dont remember poo poo.

Machine lathes can spin either direction, but the cross slides and tool holders are intended to work on a piece turning towards the operator. You would spin the workpiece backwards if you mounted the tool upside down, which you might do to work on the inside of a large bore with a custom-ground tool, but it's not common.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The way it normally spins, the bit of material you're cutting is moving downwards, so the hot chips coming off it tend to get flung downwards - which is much better than them being flung upwards towards your face.

(They do, however, get flung towards where your hands are when they're operating the machine. Nothing's perfect.)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Running the spindle clockwise can also sometimes be the easiest way to cut left-handed threads depending on the particulars of the machine but yeah anytime the chuck spins away from you, you're doing something very intentional and very weird.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Or remove a tap

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Platystemon posted:

Power take‐off shafts are like lathes except they don’t look dangerous and you’re climbing around them on uneven ground while drunk and on your way to heat exhaustion.
That doesn't not describe a bunch of home workshop lathes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Willfrey posted:

Aaah makes sense now. I work in a sawmill that cuts mostly softwood structural lumber. After the wood is cut and dried it goes through a machine called a planer which planes everything down to its final rectangular width and thickness

I am guessing you guys did hardwood stuff? Or finished wood for like trim or furniture?

More finished stuff yeah. Sorry I can't remember the name of the particular machine.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bad Munki posted:

Just dooooo it, sheesh

I'm no longer a truckfuckler, now I'm in the NFC South crew.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

You do not gently caress with lathes. Its the one tool that really needs multiple emergency shutoff buttons.

Used to be a volunteer in the engineering works of a preservation (steam) railway. In the workshop we had lathe for machining train wheels which used to scare the poo poo out of me.

Looked like this:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-29/footage-of-man-fishing-from-drone-being-investigated-by-casa/

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Not sure if this got posted already it was making the rounds on a lot of production Facebook groups

https://www.facebook.com/Hexstage/videos/10220149581873567/?t=15

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bad Munki posted:

Just dooooo it, sheesh

Time for the chuckfucklers to shine!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The truckfucklers won't forget this insult. We will have our revenge. It may not be today, it may not be tomorrow, it might have even been yesterday, dispatch hasn't made up their mind yet.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Your link broke, here's a new one

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-29/footage-of-man-fishing-from-drone-being-investigated-by-casa/11460604

Edit: ... also :stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

e:

:stare:

the wheel bolts

Powershift fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 29, 2019

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Speaking of Spinny shafts and whatnot, this happened about 10 years or so ago, around here.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/2175070-drilling-machine-that-killed-hamilton-worker-was-1980s-model-with-no-shield/

Guy got caught in spinning augers while working on a soil sampling machine.

Local lore has it that the helper and consultant were around the front of the rig when it happened (therefore no one actually knows if he slipped, or was kicking soil out of the way and got a boot lace caught) and came around the back to find the dude, dead and his corpse just kinda leisurely spinning with the augers. Or maybe they saw the whole thing, and that was a story they came up with to try and cover their asses a bit.

It was also supposedly the helper's first day on the job, and he had no idea how to shut that poo poo off/where the kill switch was etc...

The owner of the company was supposed to have had to come out and spin the augers in reverse so that paramedics could untangle the dude's remains.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

OSHA-related reddit post

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The worst "first day on the job" story I've heard, from these forums I think, was the teenage kid who got sucked feet first into a wood chipper he was operating on his first day on the job.

https://abc7ny.com/news/north-carolina-teen-falls-into-wood-chipper-dies-during-1st-day-of-work/1115689/

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Imagined posted:

The worst "first day on the job" story I've heard, from these forums I think, was the teenage kid who got sucked feet first into a wood chipper he was operating on his first day on the job.

https://abc7ny.com/news/north-carolina-teen-falls-into-wood-chipper-dies-during-1st-day-of-work/1115689/

A couple of years ago, two guys were killed on their first day on the job when a boiler fell on them after exploding. https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/us/st-louis-boiler-explosion/index.html

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Looks like the standard Truck Simulator light layout.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

duz posted:

Looks like the standard Truck Simulator light layout.

Looks like 4 of them are out, that's 4 tickets at $180 a piece.

I pulled every light i could off my own truck for that reason. head lights, signal lights, cab lights. all 3 boxes checked

Didn't much matter, they were covered in mud most of the time anyways.

that is, of course, when they weren't covered in road salt.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 29, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Explosionface posted:

A couple of years ago, two guys were killed on their first day on the job when a boiler fell on them after exploding. https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/us/st-louis-boiler-explosion/index.html

from post I was expecting them to have been under or near the boiler, but NOPE :stonk:

quote:

The 7:30 a.m. blast initially killed one person, and sent a piece of debris about the size of a large cargo van through the factory roof. It traveled about 500 feet and killed two people where it landed, officials said.

gently caress being anywere near an industrial plant ever I guess

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Imagined posted:

Oh hey, that's just a short drive from here :smith:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Nenonen posted:

from post I was expecting them to have been under or near the boiler, but NOPE :stonk:

gently caress being anywere near an industrial plant ever I guess

Yeah, people are always afraid of natural gas explosions, but steam explosions are a hundred times worse. I may be directly attached to the boiler industry and have heard so many stories.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Explosionface posted:

Yeah, people are always afraid of natural gas explosions, but steam explosions are a hundred times worse. I may be directly attached to the boiler industry and have heard so many stories.

I've brought this up a few times, but i found some oilfield boilers put together in the 70s that had boilers built in the 1800s as trains and tractors inside the shack.

e: looking for the pics through my posts in the old thread, saw this again and cringed.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 29, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Speaking of shafts does anyone have the video of the guy running on the prop shaft of a container ship like a lumberjack on a floating log

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Explosionface posted:

There's no real upward limit on the size of the gas explosion though, we only make boilers so big but we have city sized petroleum complexes everywhere

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nocheez posted:

Oh hey, that's just a short drive from here :smith:

Or a short parabolic flight!

:v:

E: Never mind, I thought you were talking about the boiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

shovelbum posted:

There's no real upward limit on the size of the gas explosion though, we only make boilers so big but we have city sized petroleum complexes everywhere

Right. I meant to only speak in the context of boilers since so many are gas fired these days.