Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Like there isnt even any wind or rain right now, just clouds, and I'm just watching TV, snacking on hurricane supplies and drinking añejo rum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Euro track would also allow it to go back out into the Gulf and presumably power back up to wipe another panhandle city off the map

:yeshaha:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

don't get too excited, mara lago is probably built to exceed building codes.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1166799921929961472

I'm the trackthat crosses the Appalachian mountains from the west and then restrengthens into a hurricane over Chesapeake Bay

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dorian officially a hurricane now

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

soy posted:

Maybe/probably, but my favorite is the TABS model that has it pwning florida, then floating back around and pwning it again.

the tabd model is i assume formed around the idea that god hates communists and will try to steer every hurricane towards cuba

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

man I love hurricanes

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I've lived in Orlando for the 12 years but it feels like a hurricane season has only been significant in the past three or four (nothing compared to like, Andrew of course).

The irony of evacuating is that my closest family members live in the Panhandle and New Orleans. Being without power sucks so I'll probably do it unless Dorian miraculously fucks off tomorrow or goes down to a tropical storm.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

man I love hurricanes

They're cool and since I live in the PNW I personally invite people in the southeast states to laugh at us when Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland get owned by a megaquake sometime in the next 50 years

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Being without power sucks so I'll probably do it unless Dorian miraculously fucks off tomorrow or goes down to a tropical storm.

At this point I wouldn't wait 24 hours, start preparing now. The earlier you leave, the easier it'll be.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Luneshot posted:

At this point I wouldn't wait 24 hours, start preparing now. The earlier you leave, the easier it'll be.

Yeah, my girlfriend's a teacher and it really depends on whether or not she gets Friday off. If so, we're gone.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

They're cool and since I live in the PNW I personally invite people in the southeast states to laugh at us when Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland get owned by a megaquake sometime in the next 50 years

lol yeah i wonder if trump is gonna deny or duck with disaster relief aid like he did with :ca: that would own

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I'm tapping into all of the hurricane rum and tropical fruit supplies to blend of a mango papaya rum smoothie. Now drinking out of celebration that San Juan was spared rather than out of fear

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Can't believe Jose has another wedding to attend already

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So no mega-rainfall this time?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Can't believe Jose has another wedding to attend already

it’s hard to top that picture of the balcony patio with clogged drains causing the water to rise up the glass sliding door :911:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1166847991971495942

RIP Puerto Rico...

Again!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

as usual,

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The border crisis is an emergency so seems logical to use federal emergency management funds to deal with it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

soy posted:

don't get too excited, mara lago is probably built to exceed building codes.

builders only do that when they get paid

prediction: Dorian damages a landscaping shed at mar-a-lago, dipshit tries to funnel a few million in FEMA funds to it, liberals go "a-HA, finally caught 'em!", no one to the right gives a poo poo, nothing happens

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

soy posted:

The border crisis is an emergency so seems logical to use federal emergency management funds to deal with it.

Lmao.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

builders only do that when they get paid

prediction: Dorian damages a landscaping shed at mar-a-lago, dipshit tries to funnel a few million in FEMA funds to it, liberals go "a-HA, finally caught 'em!", no one to the right gives a poo poo, nothing happens

Never repeat a grift:

quote:

Trump received a $17 million insurance payment for hurricane damage to Mar-a-Lago after the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season, for damage to the “landscaping, roofing, walls, painting, leaks, artwork in the — you know, the great tapestries, tiles, Spanish tiles, the beach, the erosion,” as he described. Anthony Senecal, Trump's former butler at the resort and later its "in-house historian," said some trees behind the resort had been flattened and some roof tiles were lost, but “That house has never been seriously damaged. I was there for all of [the hurricanes]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar-a-Lago#Hurricane_insurance_claim

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1166799921929961472

I'm the trackthat crosses the Appalachian mountains from the west and then restrengthens into a hurricane over Chesapeake Bay

Lol if Panama City gets another major hurricane this year, hope the Air Force gets all the F-22s out of dodge this time.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Stairmaster posted:

So no mega-rainfall this time?

last i heard it's kind of a slow moving storm so if it hits the east coast it'll have storm surge over multiple normal tidal cycles.

mega-flooding > mega-rains this time around

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Zeno-25 posted:

Lol if Panama City gets another major hurricane this year, hope the Air Force gets all the F-22s out of dodge this time.

lol how hard is it they fukken fly

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i imagine the operational aircraft are flown out, it's just the hangar queens that got left i think

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

why not? it's not like there'll be any consequences

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Florida will get the red carpet treatment because they voted for him.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

ScrubLeague posted:

Florida will get the red carpet treatment because they voted for him.

Nah, the Panhandle was ignored by pretty much everyone after Michael kicked it around. Going by recent (May?) photos, all they've been able to do is haul away debris.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

I live just south of Tampa near the water, so I'm watching pretty closely. At this point the trajectory is... anywhere in Florida or maybe even south Georgia. Basically useless information until it gets closer.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Norton posted:

I live just south of Tampa near the water, so I'm watching pretty closely. At this point the trajectory is... anywhere in Florida or maybe even south Georgia. Basically useless information until it gets closer.

Yeah the latest advisory is out and so far it's still too soon to tell where along the coast it will hit.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT5+shtml/291447.shtml

quote:

The track guidance becomes more divergent beyond 72 hours, primarily due to model differences in the strength of the ridge and whether a weakness develops in the ridge late in the period. The new NHC track forecast is virtually unchanged from the previous advisory, and lies very close to the multi-model consensus. It should be noted that the ECMWF, UKMET, and HFIP corrected consensus models remain south of the official forecast. The spread of the deterministic models and the various ensemble guidance is still considerable at days 4 and 5, and it is too soon to specify where along the Florida east coast the greatest impacts could occur.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The track is still pretty uncertain but every model seems to be slowing the storm way the gently caress down. The Euro has it landfalling in near West Palm Beach as a category 3/4 and then taking like a full day to get to Orlando and another full day to get to Jacksonville.

It feels a bit like Matthew from a few years ago where if the models are a bit too fast then it could just parallel the coast and go back out to sea. Or it just plows through S. Florida and spits back out into the Gulf. Right now it's a real boom or bust forecast depending on like the little nuances of what the high pressure system to the north is going to do.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Anthony Senecal sounds like an interesting man:

quote:

Senecal has frequently stated that President Obama is a "secret Muslim" and has called the White House the "white mosque".[4] Senecal was questioned by the Secret Service about his calls for the assassination of President Obama. Afterward, he stated that Washington was too far for him to drive to kill the President, but that he hoped somebody else would do it. He said, “I think it should have been done by the military in the first term—they still have a chance to do it.”[1] In an interview with NBC News, Senecal stated that the US should use nuclear weapons in Detroit and Milwaukee to "bomb out" the Muslim populations there.[3]

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Gibbering posted:

Nah, the Panhandle was ignored by pretty much everyone after Michael kicked it around. Going by recent (May?) photos, all they've been able to do is haul away debris.

As someone with family and friends who had their poo poo completely wrecked by Michael, this is absolutely true.

I suspect a big part of why the damage didn't get as much national or state-wide attention was that Panama City BEACH was largely untouched. Panama City proper (not much in terms of tourism, much poorer) and the surrounding rural areas were crushed. I visited a few months ago and there still were plenty of collapsed shopping complexes, signs knocked over, abandoned buildings on every corner, etc.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Zeno-25 posted:

yeah, as someone who was less than 200 miles from michael's eye im side-eyeing that mean track real hard

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I hope this one hunts down Jose too.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Hooray for Puerto Rico getting skipped, my condolences to... Florida and Georgia goons?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Failson posted:

Hooray for Puerto Rico getting skipped, my condolences to... Florida and Georgia goons?

Too early to tell. It could also come say hi to the Gulf goons, or some combination of all 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Gibbering posted:

what's your av from?