Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Splashy Gravy posted:

Tesla Insurance available for Californians https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-tesla-insurance

r/teslamotors folks are mostly saying the quoted prices are not competitive right now.

Tesla Insurance would be double than what I pay now for the same coverage on a 2018 RWD LR.

In fact it's $250 more expensive for 6 months than my current policy which has my gf's Honda Pilot on it too.

jabro fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry "Algorithm update in progress"

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Looks like my Volt got an OTA update today. Fixes to the infotainment system!

Also to whoever was wishing for an aptera, apparently, they back: https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124775_1-000-mile-electric-car-unveiled-aptera-returns-10-years-later

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

jabro posted:

Tesla Insurance would be double than what I pay now for the same coverage on a 2018 RWD LR.

In fact it's $250 more expensive for 6 months than my current policy which has my gf's Honda Pilot on it too.

https://twitter.com/bgrahamdisciple/status/1166852487325933572

Vomik posted:

if they're not keeping any of the risk then its actually "tesla insurance brokerage" - even when musk tries to meet one of his made up promises he fails

perfectly normal company.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Is insurance on model 3's still pretty expensive compared to other electrics in the same price range? My premiere Bolt is about the same price as a SR+ and is $340/6mo. (I know there is a lot of other info that affects prices)
Was looking at a M3 and a used volt to replace volt on lease.

ClassH fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 29, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ClassH posted:

Is insurance on model 3's still pretty expensive compared to other electrics in the same price range? My premiere Bolt is about the same price as a SR+ and is $340/6mo. (I know there is a lot of other info that affects prices)
Was looking at a M3 and a used volt to replace volt on lease.

Can’t speak from experience but the Tesla Insurance thread on the subreddit has a lot of people list their coverage (in comparison to the more expensive quote they received) and most of it hovered around the $1200+ a year.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Westy543 posted:

Also to whoever was wishing for an aptera, apparently, they back: https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124775_1-000-mile-electric-car-unveiled-aptera-returns-10-years-later

How were you notified? I haven't seen anything on my 2018. Interested to see what's fixed!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Westy543 posted:

Chevy does OTA updates? :stare: I had some weird poo poo happen the other day where I got an “E-Mail” button on the Infotainment system, but I thought it was a bug because it disappeared right after I shut the Volt off and unplugged my iPhone, and it never came back. Wonder if that was it.

Also, I swear that stupid 3-wheeler design will never happen and it’s just a bat-symbol for grifting. What, we had Elio (lol), Aptera and Archimoto all claim it’s the future, yet all 3 haven’t even gotten them to production even after chugging down DoE loans, grants and literal pre-order money. I think the only company to actually get a modern 3-wheeler to sell is BRP and their Spyder, which is just a gas-powered motorcycle with all the drawbacks of element exposure on bikes but the huge width and inability to park like a bike.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ripoff posted:

Chevy does OTA updates? :stare: I had some weird poo poo happen the other day where I got an “E-Mail” button on the Infotainment system, but I thought it was a bug because it disappeared right after I shut the Volt off and unplugged my iPhone, and it never came back. Wonder if that was it.

Also, I swear that stupid 3-wheeler design will never happen and it’s just a bat-symbol for grifting. What, we had Elio (lol), Aptera and Archimoto all claim it’s the future, yet all 3 haven’t even gotten them to production even after chugging down DoE loans, grants and literal pre-order money. I think the only company to actually get a modern 3-wheeler to sell is BRP and their Spyder, which is just a gas-powered motorcycle with all the drawbacks of element exposure on bikes but the huge width and inability to park like a bike.

There’s also the Polaris Slingshot, a mid $20ks 3 wheeled roadster with a Chevy Cruze 4cyl.

Just like the Spyder it's purely a toy and is only really a 3 wheeler so that they can sell something with no crash protection.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The OTA capability is on the 2019 models only. They have a completely different infotainment unit and instrument cluster computer than the 2016-2018 models. Though I think maybe some very late build 2018 models might possibly have the same computers as the 2019s....

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
My wife and I are still debating what car to get hampered a bit by availability in our state and she's leaning towards a used 2016 eGolf for around 17k, while I'm thinking a new 2019 Bolt or eGolf for the tax credit and better specs.

Can anyone speak to the Bolt? I read a review site that complained about the seats but I wasn't sure how seriously to take that. I'd also be curious about which trim options seem worthwhile, I usually end up wanting the highest most expensive package because if I'm buying new, I feel like I should invest in the best, but the Bolt has more options than other cars I've looked at.

And I guess a bigger question, in the next 3 to 5 years, do EVs seem like they will continue to increase in range and features? Would getting the used eGolf now with its 80 mile range make sense if in 3 to 5 years a used EV for a similar price will have 200 mile range and DC charging will be more robust?

I know it's kind of unanswerable, but I know a lot of you guys are more in the know about what technologies might be coming down the line. I'm just torn between getting a new 2019 if there's some huge change for EVs around the corner and getting the older used one with the idea I could trade up in a few years.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
The wife and I really like our 2017 Bolt. The seats did suck, I spent about 30 minutes after watching a youtube on fixing them and stuffed some foam in them and now they are fine. This may not be a problem in 2019. The higher package on the premiere is really nice, gives you camera options on the rear view mirror, (nice if you piled stuff up and blocked back window), the top down view which is amazing and I dont understand why more car makers don't do.

In general when we go to leave we always take the Bolt over the Volt, it's easier to get in, faster, handles better, easier to park, cooler in hot weather.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adding onto my garage, and thinking for the future for an EV down the road. How many amps would be a good setup for a sub panel? It makes sense to do it now even though the need isn't there at the moment. They quoted me for a 30 amp panel but I assume I'll need at least a 50 amp circuit for just the charger itself. Thoughts?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The seats on the Bolt are reviled in such a consistent fashion that I seriously wonder who the gently caress product tested them for GM.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

Adding onto my garage, and thinking for the future for an EV down the road. How many amps would be a good setup for a sub panel? It makes sense to do it now even though the need isn't there at the moment. They quoted me for a 30 amp panel but I assume I'll need at least a 50 amp circuit for just the charger itself. Thoughts?

Nema 14-50 is a sorta standard for future proofing EV chargers. So thats a 50 amp circuit. You can do fine with less but if it's new you might as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Suburban Dad posted:

I have a 200a subpanel running two 50a EVSE/Welder circuits in the garage, and my pool pump and pool lights.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

My wife and I are still debating what car to get hampered a bit by availability in our state and she's leaning towards a used 2016 eGolf for around 17k, while I'm thinking a new 2019 Bolt or eGolf for the tax credit and better specs.

E-golfs are only like $10k in california. The drive back might suck though.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

TraderStav posted:

How were you notified? I haven't seen anything on my 2018. Interested to see what's fixed!

Got this popping up on my screen when I pulled in to work yesterday:

Apparently (as Steve said), only 2019 Volts and Bolts can OTA update. Most of the ones I've gotten have been bug fixes for the infotainment but apparently they reskinned a few screens too with this one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Westy543 posted:

Got this popping up on my screen when I pulled in to work yesterday:

Apparently (as Steve said), only 2019 Volts and Bolts can OTA update. Most of the ones I've gotten have been bug fixes for the infotainment but apparently they reskinned a few screens too with this one.

Ahh, mine is a 2018. So dealer only likely. Plus different infotainment. Didn't realize 2019 had a different unit, any ideas on how it's different than the 2017-18? Does the 2019 CarPlay gently caress up often like mine?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Powershift posted:

E-golfs are only like $10k in california. The drive back might suck though.

Wow. Will have to look into that.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Ahh, mine is a 2018. So dealer only likely. Plus different infotainment. Didn't realize 2019 had a different unit, any ideas on how it's different than the 2017-18? Does the 2019 CarPlay gently caress up often like mine?

From what I understand, very different. It uses the newest version of the MyLink hardware, which haswifi and OTA capability.

Concerning CarPlay screwing up... Have you tried a different cable? I've had multiple instances now where Type C cables on my Android phone will still charge but start having problems with data connectivity. Resulting in Android Auto flaking out and eventually stop working entirely, but still be able to charge the phone. Getting a new cable always fixes the issue for a few months.

And in dealing with Apple phones at work, they are prone to crap getting down inside the lighting port causing data and/or power connectivity problems. I've had to take a needle and clean the inside of the port on many iPhones..

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

Wow. Will have to look into that.

Should have specified, used 2016s around 20k miles. Still beats $17k.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can anyone speak to the Bolt? I read a review site that complained about the seats but I wasn't sure how seriously to take that. I'd also be curious about which trim options seem worthwhile, I usually end up wanting the highest most expensive package because if I'm buying new, I feel like I should invest in the best, but the Bolt has more options than other cars I've looked at.

And I guess a bigger question, in the next 3 to 5 years, do EVs seem like they will continue to increase in range and features? Would getting the used eGolf now with its 80 mile range make sense if in 3 to 5 years a used EV for a similar price will have 200 mile range and DC charging will be more robust?

I know it's kind of unanswerable, but I know a lot of you guys are more in the know about what technologies might be coming down the line. I'm just torn between getting a new 2019 if there's some huge change for EVs around the corner and getting the older used one with the idea I could trade up in a few years.

2019 Bolt seats aren't great. I believe they improved them in 2018 but still they aren't great. It is a frequent complaint of the Bolt. I hadn't really noticed in my test drive but longer drives it can be annoying. It might not be important to you but you can't get adaptive cruise control for the Bolt.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 29, 2019

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Suburban Dad posted:

If you are running fresh wires anyway run a 220/100A and do it right, even if no EVs are really gonna need to draw more than 50A anyway. It's a garage. More power isn't a bad thing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Another failed Model S OTA update (second in two months) and now they want to put a new main screen in it :allears:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ilkhan posted:

If you are running fresh wires anyway run a 220/100A and do it right, even if no EVs are really gonna need to draw more than 50A anyway. It's a garage. More power isn't a bad thing.

Fair enough. My house is old enough that it only has 100A. :lol:

Thanks for the responses dudes.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I test drove a bolt (2019) a few weeks ago, and did notice the seat issue. I mean I think I could live with it if I got a good deal, but it was tough for me to justify if I was buying new.

I think you're right to be thinking about obsolescence in evs. One of the things that was holding me back from getting a eGolf or a 2017 leaf is that the resale will continue to plummet (I think) for evs at sub 200 mile range or so. The cars are still cool, but are def a niche use case, but as you get closer to 200 mile range, I think they become a full ice replacement and thus I think they retain more value.

I don't think there will be a huge change in technology in the next 3-5 years, I think there will be more options, and the average range will go up and price per kwh will slowly decrease.

There are a lot of 2017 Bolts coming off lease now, you might consider them as a new one might not justify the new premium.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Twerk from Home posted:

There’s also the Polaris Slingshot, a mid $20ks 3 wheeled roadster with a Chevy Cruze 4cyl.

Just like the Spyder it's purely a toy and is only really a 3 wheeler so that they can sell something with no crash protection.

I actually have one for a few days; they dropped it off yesterday but so far I’ve only driven it a few miles. Not sure I feel safe without a helmet, but it’s kind of fun for a toy. More so than an ATV or bike, to me at least.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Westy543 posted:

https://wefunder.com/aptera

Laughter is what they were going for with that video right?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

stevewm posted:

From what I understand, very different. It uses the newest version of the MyLink hardware, which haswifi and OTA capability.

Concerning CarPlay screwing up... Have you tried a different cable? I've had multiple instances now where Type C cables on my Android phone will still charge but start having problems with data connectivity. Resulting in Android Auto flaking out and eventually stop working entirely, but still be able to charge the phone. Getting a new cable always fixes the issue for a few months.

And in dealing with Apple phones at work, they are prone to crap getting down inside the lighting port causing data and/or power connectivity problems. I've had to take a needle and clean the inside of the port on many iPhones..

CarPlay problems are almost entirely solved by rebooting your phone. At worst it’s a reboot and a different lightning cable.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ilkhan posted:

So, dumb question, if I have this plug in my garage already:

(not mine, just for illustration)

What's needed to use it for charging an EV?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VideoGameVet posted:

What kind of EV? Tesla’s can plug in with just a cheap adaptor. Most other EVs are going to need an EVSE of one type or another.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

That is a NEMA 10-30 plug. Technically it should be on a 30 Amp circuit breaker. I would check this first before actually attempting to use it.

So you would be looking for a EVSE with a 10-30 plug. Most EVSEs with that plug type appear to be 3.6kW units.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Well, after a month of bugging them my Tesla Delivery Center finally gave me an unofficial estimate of 'Mid to Late September'

I guess I should have waited before selling my car lol. My order date was 4 weeks ago. I guess it's going to be another 2-4 weeeeeeeks.

Oh well, at least now I have an idea.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

SerCypher posted:

Well, after a month of bugging them my Tesla Delivery Center finally gave me an unofficial estimate of 'Mid to Late September'

I guess I should have waited before selling my car lol. My order date was 4 weeks ago. I guess it's going to be another 2-4 weeeeeeeks.

Oh well, at least now I have an idea.

Did your sales associate at least try to find an inventory model like the one you put $2,500 down for?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Did your sales associate at least try to find an inventory model like the one you put $2,500 down for?

Yes, but there just aren't any.

I wanted Performance in Red with white seats.

I check the inventory every few days to see if one pops up but no dice.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

SerCypher posted:

I wanted Performance in Red with white seats.

I check the inventory every few days to see if one pops up but no dice.

I think there's a reason for that. :v:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My brother has red with white seats, other brother has white with white seats, mother has blue with white seats. Anyway just so you know and can fret over someone on the internet telling you something, the red with white I like the least. I think I like the white Tesla the best out of the three.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 30, 2019

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I keep hearing the horror stories about people ordering Model 3s and getting their delivery date 2-3 months later. I must have lucked out because I ordered mine on Saturday and got my VIN on Monday.

This seems like a problem that could easily be solved if Tesla had a functional inventory search system, but I guess the same thing could be said of almost everything Tesla does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

How is the M3P for tall people and car seats? I haven’t been able to get in one, but the S was a bit tight when I sat in one a few years ago.
I’m worried I will both want and need an X if I want a Tesla. They are nice but hellaciously expensive.