Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

You installed your suicide shower wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

How many different kinds of ugly carpet can you fit into 1000sf?

imagine how bad it smells

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That dude told all his co-workers what a great deal he got by shopping for remnants at the carpet stores

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That seems an extraordinarily large heater.

Is this house in the arctic circle?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd imagine buying a beefier stove and the increased fuel to run it is likely to be cheaper than tearing everything apart to upgrade the insulation if yours is lovely, which I assume it is because look at that place

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Holy loving lol at the cross outline on the wall like at least we know this chain smoker had Jesus in their heart.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

canyoneer posted:

That dude told all his co-workers what a great deal he got by shopping for remnants at the carpet stores

At least they're all the same colour within each room. There's that.

Apparently my cousin's ex-husband once got remnants (I think carpet remnants, but I'm not sure) and bragged about what a great deal they were and how great it looked, when none of them matched or even coordinated. It was the world's shittiest patchwork.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Holy loving lol at the cross outline on the wall like at least we know this chain smoker had Jesus in their heart.

I don't doubt the chain smoking, but that heater looks like a coal stove and they will absolutely do that to a house.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dear lord, I feel all sticky and grimy just looking at the pics. I feel like I need a shower and I just took one

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i like the color schemes :shobon:

they should just rip out everything (piss towels included) and put the same colors back in

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

While house shopping ten years ago we looked at an exceedingly well built house in a nice neighborhood that had carpet EVERYWHERE. And by everywhere I mean not only wall to wall in every room including the orange kitchen and lime green bathrooms, but it was even on the ceiling in several rooms. Bedrooms and living room had these large, like 2'x6' wood framed panels of carpet up on the ceilings. Also the owner was murdered by her adult son inside the home.

Our asking-price offer was not accepted, and we decided not to get in a bidding war over the carpet murder house.

Please say there are listing photos of this still online.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That seems an extraordinarily large heater.

Is this house in the arctic circle?

I presume that coal heater is the only heat source in the entire house.

It looks like a place that needs a little bit of work done.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Legitimately, those 5 colors are the exact colors of the carpet in my house right now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Please say there are listing photos of this still online.

I found a listing on zillow, but sadly it's been remodeled in the intervening 10 years. Fortunately ceiling carpet survived in at least one room:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8110-Imperial-Cir-Lincoln-NE-68506/6629365_zpid/

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Hey Spider-man! wipe your feet outside, do you even know how hard it is to clean up there?!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I dunno, for 55g, that's a nice reno. That heater looks wack as hell though. But if it was just a new floors and paint, you could have a pretty excellent home. Toss a few more grand to get a half bath in a closet.

But it probably needs a new heating system, torn to studs for new insulation and sheetrock, probably rewiring, and always assume foundation or drainage issues.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

The carpet in the bathroom and kitchen looks exactly like the horrible scratchy office carpet my dad ganked and put in my folk's bedroom because their waterbed exploded and they needed new carpet quick and cheap. The carpet came from the airport my dad worked for, it was being remodeled and they used that crappy carpet in all the office spaces.

I've only ever seen it in other cheap office spaces that got remodeled or built in the 80s. It is the worst and also impossible to clean.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Suspect Bucket posted:

I dunno, for 55g, that's a nice reno. That heater looks wack as hell though. But if it was just a new floors and paint, you could have a pretty excellent home. Toss a few more grand to get a half bath in a closet.

But it probably needs a new heating system, torn to studs for new insulation and sheetrock, probably rewiring, and always assume foundation or drainage issues.

It's in Hopewell VA where $100k buys a nicely renovated bungalow of that size. It does look like a good house under all that carpet but since you'd be replacing the HVAC and much of the drywall and probably the roof in addition to the cosmetics it isn't worth it. Also you'd have to live in Hopewell.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Far more than enough, it would seem.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:argh: This is why I asked several times to test things prior to the drywall going up and several coats of paint going on it. It's one of the two refrigerant lines to my minisplit heat pump.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Motronic posted:

I don't doubt the chain smoking, but that heater looks like a coal stove and they will absolutely do that to a house.

I can't imagine what something that does that to a room it isn't even next to would do to your lungs

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

much of the drywall

It's lath and plaster. Which also means it's probably completely uninsulated.

Also, something about that house just screams hidden black mold problems.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

:argh: This is why I asked several times to test things prior to the drywall going up and several coats of paint going on it. It's one of the two refrigerant lines to my minisplit heat pump.

gently caress

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Moatman posted:

I can't imagine what something that does that to a room it isn't even next to would do to your lungs

Nothing good.

Also, if you've ever tried to paint a house that has had a coal stove in it......just lol. The fresh paint basically just slides off the wall. It doesn't matter how much TSP you cleaned it with beforehand.

I had a friend in this situation with a cabin he bought (and replaced the coal heater because.....yeah) and he ended up throwing 1/4" drywall over all of the existing because there was simply no cleaning it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

So I investigated a water damage loss last week. First-time homebuyer, bought a flip about a year ago.

Everything seemed fine until we had some heavy thunderstorms/wind with rain about a month ago, and water started leaking in all the way down to the first floor. Saw nothing obvious from outside. Roof's about 10-years old and in good condition. Sent up a roofer, and...

...lovely roofing/waterproofing shenanigans continue.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The caption is art.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

is that a soffit vent? Why is it tilted? Are we looking at the lack of flashing, or is something more going on?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm a complete layman so I want to guess it has to do with the missing flashing but I feel like you'd want an eave or something overhanging the vent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You can do it by wrapping the underlayment over the edge, and then putting the trim over that, *and* flashing over that. A small overhang would be better, though.
Even just flashing would be 100% better than what’s there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Darchangel posted:

You can do it by wrapping the underlayment over the edge, and then putting the trim over that, *and* flashing over that. A small overhang would be better, though.
Even just flashing would be 100% better than what’s there.

Crappy Construction Tales: flashing a small overhang

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Heh.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Leperflesh posted:

is that a soffit vent? Why is it tilted? Are we looking at the lack of flashing, or is something more going on?

It's a weird little half-roof - looks like a tiny house was cut in half at the ridge line. Except this is America, so they built it that way.

What's under it is a wall: vinyl siding (double-4 dutch lap)

The fascia wrap (aluminum face flashing) is short, and there appears to be zero drip edge too.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Crappy Construction Tales: WE FOUND YOUR PROBLEM

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

This gave me belly laughs.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:boom:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Motronic posted:

Nothing good.

Also, if you've ever tried to paint a house that has had a coal stove in it......just lol. The fresh paint basically just slides off the wall. It doesn't matter how much TSP you cleaned it with beforehand.

I had a friend in this situation with a cabin he bought (and replaced the coal heater because.....yeah) and he ended up throwing 1/4" drywall over all of the existing because there was simply no cleaning it.

Play‐Dough is the successor to a putty for cleaning soot stains from walls.

As coal stoves declined, the product was rebranded.

To be clear, Play‐Dough will not get walls clean enough to paint, but coal soot has always been a bastard.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Play‐Dough is the successor to a putty for cleaning soot stains from walls.

As coal stoves declined, the product was rebranded.

To be clear, Play‐Dough will not get walls clean enough to paint, but coal soot has always been a bastard.

I like that the first one has a pronunciation guide printed on it from some butthurt executive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

I like that the first one has a pronunciation guide printed on it from some butthurt executive.

I enjoy ignoring pronunciation guides on products.