Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Omobono posted:

Adol has finally reached that level of fame where they try to arrest him on suspicions of being Lina Inverse Adol Christin.

some wild-eyed intelligence officer grabs his commander by the lapels and screams "do you know what happens to EVERYPLACE THIS KID VISITS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

some wild-eyed intelligence officer grabs his commander by the lapels and screams "do you know what happens to EVERYPLACE THIS KID VISITS"

My mental image is that after 1+2 Feena was fangirling on Godbook over Adol, and now everytime some god needs a problem solved that can be solved with sufficiently skilled stabbing and minor magical artifact use, he gets dragged in.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

(Ys VIII ending spoilers:)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Am I going crazy or do I miss attacks way more in CS2 than 1?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Sakurazuka posted:

You do. They tried to make hit quartz actually important.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah you want a Hit quartz on pretty much every physical attacker in your party.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ugh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It goes both ways. Evasion is strong as gently caress.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You might not have noticed what Gaius's Falco even did in the first game, but insight is a ridiculously good status.

You can also get a few characters up to something nutty like 80-90% evade, including characters that counter-attack from range. (By the way, Fie will now counter attack from range)

You never actually need a hit quartz, but they do help.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I don't think playing through CS2 without Hit quartz is a pleasant experience, especially since counterattacks always hit no matter how high your evasion is, so missing frequently against enemies with long range can start adding up.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm about to try the game on Nightmare, so I'll let you know if that makes a significant difference, but I know that on Normal and Hard, while annoying at points, I was generally happier having my slots open for better quartz. I cover hit with things like accessories if it really matters. Or the insight status.

But there are some really great accessories that don't add hit%, too, so YMMV which way you go about it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I find you need Hit early, but it falls off a little more in need later on. The numbers level out a bit.

But oh god do you need Hit early to not suffer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On the flip side, magic is way better in CS2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished ys: celceta, on to felghana

dogi may be even more of a head case than our humble protagonist. adol is pathologically attracted to danger, sure, but it takes a special kind of mind to look at this human catastrophe-magnet and go "yes. this is my best friend now. i will go where he goes, see what he sees, kill the entombed gods he kills"

as for celceta, i liked how prosaic the ending reveal was. the forbidden knowledge that god wanted to pass on to this kid was...a trade route (the Northwest Passage?). and adol just turns him down because he'd rather aimlessly bop around from disaster to disaster than do things the easy way

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Endorph posted:

On the flip side, magic is way better in CS2.

This is true and extremely refreshing. Gotta love the occasional Emma/Elliot overdrive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I just did the Blueblanc/Altina(?) fight and when she started putting up physical barriers I switched to magic and realised it was doing twice as much damage as my physical skills even with non-magic characters. They seem to have made the casting delay better too.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
They also significantly increased certain characters' magic stats relative to what they were before, namely Laura and Millium.

You'll never use either as a mage, but you won't be penalized if you wanna give them healing arts.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If there's one thing I wish was different about the battle system it's that once you get whichever of rush or burst, the one that costs five, you stop using the one that costs three outside of insanely niche circumstances, since it's almost inarguably worse, but then you miss out on the great "characters calling each other for help" quotes, and I am a sucker for hearing those. "Laura let's go!" "Now, Fie!" Or the immortal: "Don't get in my way" followed by "Shut up!"

Ever call for Claire with Rean in the second game? He'll use his fake posh accent and proclaim "If you would, Captain?" And it's just the best. :allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, CS2 gives you Burst way too early, which means you (probably) never use Rush again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rush is there for those boxes that make you fight with just two characters and that's about it. And a trophy I guess.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And then you use neither of 'em in CS3!*

*okay, maybe sometimes

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't think i used burst even once in 3 or 4. It could be super powerful, no one knows

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Multiple enemies are close together and I am not sure I can kill them in a single turn and I want that unscathed experience and only have 3 points.

A boss is nearly dead, I have 3 points, no CP and it acts next. Between the two scenarios, I used rush a whopping four times in my last playthrough

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

Ever call for Claire with Rean in the second game? He'll use his fake posh accent and proclaim "If you would, Captain?" And it's just the best. :allears:

the actual highlight is Claire's "Yes sir! ♪" response imho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat that giant monkey side boss in Legram was a pain in the arse.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Sakurazuka posted:

drat that giant monkey side boss in Legram was a pain in the arse.

Yeah, that one's kind of infamous due to its huge self-buff and evasion-ignoring faint-inducing AOE attack that seems scripted to be aimed at the spot where it can catch as many party members as possible, rather than the party members closest to him. It seems specifically made to screw over people who like to rely on dodge tanks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Took me three tries and the third time only worked because it barely cast the buff after I S-Break-ed its health below half and I was always in a position to cancel that stupid AoE knockout punch.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Veryslightlymad posted:

Sean Chiplock clearly walked into Cold Steel think "hey, who knows if I'll ever get to be a main character again" and was determined to knock every line out of the park.
And then just kinda kept doing it because he fell in love with the character.
Then they expanded the VA for the PC released because hey, they knew he was gonna nail it.

Yeah we all know that story but it's still awesome

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

yeah I got to see all the additional voice acting when my wife played through the PS4 Cold Steel re-releases and it's simply astounding. Everything is just so much more natural when Rean's talking too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The voice acting is great I wished the lip flaps didn’t look like robot chicken, it’s very distracting

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDcgph2v8-c

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Speaking of voice acting, I wish every other line from most characters didn't begin with a little giggle in Tokyo Xanadu

This happens in CS too but it's everywhere in TX and I can't stop noticing it now

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 30, 2019

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's just Falcom, as I understand. XSeed just usually removes a bunch of them.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Trails in the Sky FC's re-editing job removed a lot of Hmhmhm's that were still in the PSP version too.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
100% a falcom thing, noticed a lot of fufufu's and hmhm's, when going through Cold Steel 3 and Cold Steel 4. It felt like most dialogue boxes started with them after a while, that or repeating <<WORDS>> that come up in those brackets.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh no, that's going to drive me nuts

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Oh no, that's going to drive me nuts

think of it as dark souls dialogue, but in reverse

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Posted this on the phone earlier today and couldn't write a description. This is the character trailer for Ys 9.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I can't wait to play Vampire Boyfriend Adol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BrightWing posted:

I can't wait to play Vampire Boyfriend Adol.

Buddy, I've got news for you. He was always a vampire.:wth: