Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Currently it outputs the image URLs to stdout, but a file output isn't a bad idea. I'll add it to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MegaSend has been updated to Version 1.1!

The newest version is available at my GitHub.

This version adds the --log and --tlog options (which logs uploaded image URLs to a file with [img] and [timg] tags around them, respectively), and the --gallery option, which lets you choose what gallery you're uploading to.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I致e been toying around with the idea of capturing/streaming my attempts to play the first kaizo super Mario world game (or maybe some other rom hacks... who knows), and I知 trying to think about the best way to do this.

I have a Wii that is soft modded with snes9x as an emulator, which is awesome. I bought one of those wii2hdmi adapters, and while it works, I have to mess up one of my OBS presets to creat the scene I want, and even then, I知 not sure if the resolution is presented correctly on my canvas.

I知 sure I could get that working, but I have an old elgato game capture with the analog ports that I think I値l use instead of my current setup, which is routing everything through and HD60 pro card.

My confusion with older game capture (esp with the old elgato) is the 60fps situation. I stream and capture at 60fps through obs, but the old elgato only lists 30fps. Will the old elgato capture kaizo Mario world through my Wii at the framerate(?) that I will be seeing after it passes through the card?

I think I just need a lesson on analog game capture.

e: this is my analog card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00840353W

e2: I壇 just go ahead and try this, but I知 stuck at home on paternity leave with a sleeping baby on my chest for most of the day. I値l be able to do some tests tonight.

e3: I actually just learned how to patch these into my SNES Classic. Just gonna capture kaizo games like that.

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 15, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Using Desmume, there was supposed to be a flashlight effect for the map on the bottom screen (the right half). The effect is still there, but it makes things darker instead. I tried messing around with the layers/display method/3D settings, but nothing works. Any idea how to fix it?

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 24, 2019

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Without knowing more specifics: Make sure you're using the software renderer, not the OpenGL one.

If that doesn't work try another emulator. melonDS is getting pretty good these days.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I tried using both SoftRasterizer and OpenGL, but none of them works. Using melonDS isn't really an option since this takes place at the end of the game and it can't load Desmume's savestate/save file (as far as I know).

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
melonDS uses raw save files and Desmume uses raw save files with a custom footer, that shouldn't be a problem. Try the following:

- Make a regular in-game save (not savestate) in Desmume and close the emulator.
- In the 'Battery' subfolder of Desmume find the *.dsv file with the same name as your ROM.
- Copy it into the same folder as your ROM and change the extension from .dsv to .sav.
- Open the now-.sav file in a Hex Editor (eg. HxD) and remove the last handful of bytes to create a file with a filesize of a power of 2 -- where it says 'Snip above here to create a raw sav by excluding this DeSmuME savedata footer'. For Last
Window the resulting file should now be exactly 0x40000 or 262144 bytes.

- Open the ROM in melonDS. It should automatically find and load the save.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 25, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

That works like a charm. And the flashlight effect actually works on melonDS for some reason. Thanks! So if I want to transfer the save back to Desmume, I can just add that custom footer, right?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

To get it back into Desmume open the game in Desmume and then go to File -> Import Backup Memory and select the save to import.

e: I just noticed there's also an Export option there that probably just auto-strips that footer, haha. Either way, it works.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Can't you also just import\export the save using Desmume? That's what I do to transfer saves between emulator and flashcart, there's an option right in the File menu.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Oh yeah, I also completely forgot about that :sweatdrop:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Warning everyone now: do not allow ShareX to update to 13.0.1. It completely broke the program for me.

I can no longer drag and drop all my files onto the program window to upload. Even better, it only saves the last 10 images uploaded. It doesn't even display them as a list, it displays them as large icon image previews. So unless there's a hidden "unfuck the program" setting I'm not seeing, the new version has become all but useless for LPs in an efficient fashion.

EDIT: It still displays all the last uploads, but it's forcing that awful "large icon image previews" feature, and you have to dig into a menu to disable it. Also you have to actually go Upload -> From File -> Select Images. So it's still pretty bad.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 29, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I lost Drag-and-Drop functionality from some update like a year or two ago. Instead I do Upload -> Upload folder, which only takes a tad longer.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Does the Blue Yeti mic have a lifespan? I did a recording tonight and I noticed it had a lot of static and noise that it never picked up before. Mine's maybe five or six years old. It still uses the original cable, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's that, but the question still stands.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Maple Leaf posted:

Does the Blue Yeti mic have a lifespan? I did a recording tonight and I noticed it had a lot of static and noise that it never picked up before. Mine's maybe five or six years old. It still uses the original cable, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's that, but the question still stands.
How old is your PSU? My USB devices started bugging on my motherboard when it was time for me to replace the PSU, and everything eventually worked fine after I did.

5-7 years is usually the recommended lifespan depending on the quality of the device iirc.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
My PSU is actually my youngest part. I replaced it maybe a year ago.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
There is a chance that ScpToolkit is causing some boot problems for me with games. Is there an alternative option for me to use a PS3 and/or PS4 controller on my PC?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Steam just has drivers for DS4s nowadays. They're literally just plug and play as long as you have the Steam client installed. Also Switch Pro controllers.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Yeah generally these days steam's drivers are the best choice, SCP used to be but now there's no reason not to let steam handle it, especially since they come with user remappings for all games, supports every modern controller, and you can add non-steam games and it still works

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the info. I saw something about Steam having PS4 drivers, but I didn't know they had PS3 ones, and that you could just add non-Steam programs to Steam. Will look into it.

Time for another question. Is there a "science" to balancing audio levels? I've been told many times that my voice gets lost into my audio balance, but I honestly cannot hear it. I listen at different volumes to make sure everything sounds good to me, and I've even boosted my audio and quieted the other audio tracks more and more as time has gone on, but people still say my voice sounds soft and is overpowered by other sounds.

Right now, just eyeballing a video I'm working on right now, I would say my audio track is roughly 10db louder than the other audio track. If I adjust the volumes any more, it sounds way too unbalanced to me, where I either can't hear the other audio track, or my voice just sounds way too loud. If I can't hear the problem myself, how can I fix it? (Please don't say auto-ducking we don't do that in this house)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Jamesman posted:

Right now, just eyeballing a video I'm working on right now, I would say my audio track is roughly 10db louder than the other audio track. If I adjust the volumes any more, it sounds way too unbalanced to me, where I either can't hear the other audio track, or my voice just sounds way too loud. If I can't hear the problem myself, how can I fix it? (Please don't say auto-ducking we don't do that in this house)

I think the best thing to do would be to ask those people if they can give you some representative timestamps where your voice gets lost most noticeably to them, and listen specifically to those parts to try to get a better impression of the problem. My solution is usually to raise my own voice just in places where the game gets louder - it's more work to manually find those parts of the track and amplify them, but it's much more precise than trying to find perfect levels for each track as a whole. I rarely go out of my way to adjust portions of the game audio that way, although I've done it a few times, particularly in cases like games that use the Music volume for all cutscene audio and become inaudible.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
What decent editing software is available? The editing section of the OP hasn't been updated since 2015.

All I really need to do is trim down the video, cut some dead time, and export at 60fps. Also I need to crop from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080. The footage is captured using shadowplay.

The Photos app in win 10 is fine, but exports at 30FPS. I tried AvsPmod, but nearly instantly got a desync.

Edit: I looked around some more and found VirtualDub2, which seems good enough for my needs.

BadMedic fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 30, 2019

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

BadMedic posted:

What decent editing software is available? The editing section of the OP hasn't been updated since 2015.

All I really need to do is trim down the video, cut some dead time, and export at 60fps. Also I need to crop from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080. The footage is captured using shadowplay.

The Photos app in win 10 is fine, but exports at 30FPS. I tried AvsPmod, but nearly instantly got a desync.

Edit: I looked around some more and found VirtualDub2, which seems good enough for my needs.
Avisynth or avspmod. It's free, easy to use, and we're all a fount of knowledge here for it.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 30, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can try OpenShot. It works okay for simple tasks, except the interface is very sluggish and barebones to work with. One advantage over commercial editing software is that it uses x264 for encoding, instead of a commercial encoder.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Other free options include Shotcut, DaVinci Resolve, and HitFilm Express, though I have no idea how useful they are, both in general and as far as editing Let's Plays goes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've used hitfilm express a bit for some dumb stuff, and it seems more or less functional but janky and irritating in ways that adobe premiere isn't. Worth the free price tag though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

I think the best thing to do would be to ask those people if they can give you some representative timestamps where your voice gets lost most noticeably to them, and listen specifically to those parts to try to get a better impression of the problem. My solution is usually to raise my own voice just in places where the game gets louder - it's more work to manually find those parts of the track and amplify them, but it's much more precise than trying to find perfect levels for each track as a whole. I rarely go out of my way to adjust portions of the game audio that way, although I've done it a few times, particularly in cases like games that use the Music volume for all cutscene audio and become inaudible.

I tend to do the opposite, and lower the other audios when the game/music are louder. Usually that's happening as the result of some obnoxious noise that I like to think people would prefer isn't grinding into their ears (see: the driving sections in Tony Hawk's Underground 1). But the same principle, I'd imagine; Adjusting levels in specific spots to create a more balanced mix.

My problem is I just cannot hear what other people seem to be hearing. I want the mix to be that my voice is prioritized so I come through clear, but I also want the game sounds and music to also be part of the experience (usually in that order). I adjust the levels in a way that I feel works, and I listen to it and it sounds right to me. But then someone might say "Hey your voice is really quiet in this video" and I don't know if it's like that for everyone but me, or what. I've also had people tell me that my audio mixing is good. I don't know who to believe.

In other words, this is how I'm feeling right now.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Thanks for the recommendations. VirtualDub2 is working fine for me, as I'm just cleaning up a few clips to show my friends. My dad is a professional editor though, so I will probably bug him to show me around Resolve if I move on to an actual project.

AviSynth being a scripting language feels so weird to me though. I watched my dad edit while growing up, and it is a very visual process. I can't imagine tweaking a special effect or even colours to be just right by editing a text file.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Resolve is insanely good and a lot better than Premiere IMHO.

I tried a couple of the FOSS editors and they were absolute trash. Openshot is extremely basic and Kdenlive is awkward and buggy and gave me terrible flashbacks to trying to use Inkscape.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

BadMedic posted:

AviSynth being a scripting language feels so weird to me though. I watched my dad edit while growing up, and it is a very visual process. I can't imagine tweaking a special effect or even colours to be just right by editing a text file.

Doing it once may well be more tedious than doing it in a more immediately visual editor, although I find it very smooth just to have Editpad and VirtualDub open side by side and reload the video as I change the script. The real advantage to Avisynth comes from only having to do most of the edits once. For some series, I can just rename a script, change a couple of numbers, and turn the input files into a complete video in a matter of seconds (not counting encoding time). I can also set up a complicated sequence of edits using a variable and tweak the whole thing just by changing a number in one place, if I set it up properly.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jamesman posted:

In other words, this is how I'm feeling right now.

...still like him better than Steinbrenner.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm trying to figure out the best way to get four people playing the same game at the same time in a video.

My idea was just to do a multi twitch and just record and resize. The other option is everyone records and I resize it all into one video, ideally each person into quadrants.

What's the best editor for this? Avisynth is making it look byzantine at this point.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GrandmaParty posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get four people playing the same game at the same time in a video.

My idea was just to do a multi twitch and just record and resize. The other option is everyone records and I resize it all into one video, ideally each person into quadrants.

What's the best editor for this? Avisynth is making it look byzantine at this point.

I attempted this once. I used (and continue to use) Vegas, where it was just a matter of having each video on its own track, and using pan/crop to resize each one into a quarter of the screen. You just need to be able to obtain their files with relative ease, and it also helps if everyone's following a guideline on how to record to make the editing easier on you.

I feel like there'd be too much variance in delay to record a multi-twitch setup, but it's something I don't have much experience with.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

GrandmaParty posted:

Bah.

left = StackVertical(upperleft, lowerleft)
right = StackVertical(upperright, lowerright)
final = StackHorizontal(left, right)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
What's the current recommended (free or cheap, preferably) software for capturing video of your computer screen? Specifically an emulator or things along those lines. The recommendations in the op seem a little out of date, mostly because it hasn't been edited in over four years. Has the market just not changed at all?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you're using an emulator, most of those come with built in recording functions nowadays, and I'd personally recommend sticking with those if possible. They record at the console's native resolution and ignore any frame dips except those present on hardware (e.g. slowdown or lag). They can be somewhat CPU-intensive, though, so I'd recommend recording uncompressed and then encoding after the fact (which will take a fair amount of hard drive space).

If you can't record from the emulator, I think the standard recommendation for free software is either OBS or VirtualDub.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Is that fine for something with a very small resolution, like GBA (240x160)? Would it still look alright blown up after the fact? And what's a suggested resolution to bring it to so that it plays well with YouTube?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For low res consoles definitely record with the emulator's built in feature, it typically outputs lossless video which you can then properly upscale during editing.
Make sure to use point/pixel resizing, usually anything other just looks bad.
You should aim for 720 or 1080 pixels in height.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As long as you resize with Nearest Neighbor or Point filters, and stick with integer multiples of the base size (e.g. 200%, 300%, etc), the output should look fine. Old consoles like that don't look good with filters applied. As for YouTube, you want to resize to at least 720 vertical pixels to prevent YouTube's algorithm from doing nasty things to it, from what I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Since neither 720 nor 1080 can be properly divided by 160, I imagine resize it as close as possible and then add black bars so YouTube will still give the 720/1080 option?