Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anybody get Astral Chain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Roth posted:

Easier to ask who isn’t. Because everyone here (good gamers) are definitely getting it.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Austin Walker's review is making me wary of Astral Chain. Tell me it's good, Goons.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Has anyone played the friday the 13th game on switch?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iSIoTLauEU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

I am maybe a third of the way through Fire Emblem and am getting it because I am a big dumb idiot with time management problems.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Austin Walker's review is making me wary of Astral Chain. Tell me it's good, Goons.

Austin Walker thinks ninja is cool

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I kinda got engrossed in playing Picross on my iPhone the last week, how are the games on the Switch? I see PICROSS S3 mentioned a fair bit, which does multicolored stuff which might add a level of fun. I tend to play 15x15 grids on my phone and I don't tend to X out areas to give it a bit of a challenge.

There's also a more anime based one thats a combination of Picross and Overlord? I have no idea what Overlord is mind.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Picross S games are solid, though only S3 has the colored Picross. There's also Pic a Pix, which has a lot of color puzzles and tons of DLC as well as a demo.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Roth posted:

7 more hours until eshop unlock

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Demos are always good! Sounds like if I was to go for one of the S games, S3 would be a good pick due to the extra color mode? Or is it lacking something from previous?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
S3 has the most content, as it has the color puzzles and also the "solve multiple puzzles to create one giant picture" mode they introduced in S2. All three S games also have Mega Picross, which combines two rows/columns of clues for extra challenge.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

If you would find the things he cites as negatives to be negatives, then I think you have your answer. I think he generally explained his position pretty clearly. The story didn't go where he wanted it to, the combat didn't really land for him, and he felt the pacing wasn't great. Many disagree on those points so it seems to just come down to tastes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mega64 posted:

S3 has the most content, as it has the color puzzles and also the "solve multiple puzzles to create one giant picture" mode they introduced in S2. All three S games also have Mega Picross, which combines two rows/columns of clues for extra challenge.

Awesome sounds like fun, time to buy! Thanks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Easier to ask who isn’t. Because everyone here (good gamers) are definitely getting it.

I'm not

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

chumbler posted:

If you would find the things he cites as negatives to be negatives, then I think you have your answer. I think he generally explained his position pretty clearly. The story didn't go where he wanted it to, the combat didn't really land for him, and he felt the pacing wasn't great. Many disagree on those points so it seems to just come down to tastes.

fwiw the pacing is the one complaint I've seen in basically every review

trap sprung

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

fwiw the pacing is the one complaint I've seen in basically every review

That seemed more split from what I saw, but it did generally come up. Most also disliked the silent protagonist thing which I would agree is dumb.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is Astral Chain the game with dat rear end?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Leal posted:

No that's nier automata

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

That ending is amazing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No that's nier automata

You're thinking of rear end.dat

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

There's a puzzle in La Mulana involving balancing a series of gemstones on a giant scale. You're never told the weights of the stones, but you can work it out if you know their relative weights compared to each other. The game never tells you this either, but it does tell you what abstract concepts the stones represent in La-Mulanese culture in a series of stone tablets spread across the entire game map. Another series of stones, also spread across the map, tells you what the relative weights of those concepts are.

You can go hours between encountering these tablets, most of them are hidden behind their own puzzles, and you can only read them if you have a scanner equipped and also have purchased the extra translation software, because some of the tablets are in La-Mulanese, and some are in ancient La-Mulanese.

Also, there aren't enough stones to actually balance the scales. You need to jump on one side of the scales yourself in order to complete the puzzle, and in order to know your own weight you have to have noticed a platform in one of the first rooms in the game that doesn't seem to do anything, but displays some faint characters when you step on it. This is a scale, but the numbers are in ancient La-Mulanese, and your scanner does not work here because it's not a stone tablet. You have to have paid enough attention to the backgrounds of the rooms you've been passing throughout the game to notice those symbols appearing and work out what characters are what numbers from context clues.

Also, this is one of the puzzles you can only try once.

I'm not spoiler tagging anything here because it's an optional puzzle and nobody in history has ever figured it out without checking a walkthrough

People like this game?!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Leal posted:

I'm not sure about a particular rear end, but the girl has an rear end in the official artwork. Which appears to be conveniently covered up on the box, both seen here:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/astral-chain-switch/

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

100 degrees Calcium posted:

People like this game?!

yeah it rules

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

People like this game?!

A Japanese man liked the MSX so much he made an unplayable video game

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i might get astral chain but i will wait six months to hear goons real opinions since i am still hotly burned from lovely rear end octopath traveler that was the goon darling until everyone got real about it

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm not getting it because I haven't even made it to the time skip in Three Houses yet and also I am broke as a joke

and also I have never really enjoyed a Platinum game though Astral Chain does seem right up my alley so I will pick it up eventually

Mad Wack posted:

i might get astral chain but i will wait six months to hear goons real opinions since i am still hotly burned from lovely rear end octopath traveler that was the goon darling until everyone got real about it

In their defense, Octopath had a demo that made it very clear about what kind of game it was so I was able to play the demo and decide "yup, that's a JRPG alright" and not get burned by the goon hivemind again

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 29, 2019

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

People like this game?!

The bit about the La-Mulanese numbers isn't actually a piece of only that puzzle, you have to figure them out like halfway through the game, it's not hard, and you use them regularly.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Please make a thread for Astral Chain talk. I really want it but I can’t afford it now so I’m getting jealous.:smith:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SeANMcBAY posted:

Please make a thread for Astral Chain talk. I really want it but I can’t afford it now so I’m getting jealous.:smith:

Wuss.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Leal posted:

After playing the tutorial as the girl, yep, the camera sure loves rear end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

People like this game?!

there is a market for the kind of nutters who enjoyed myst in days of yore, and la mulana is happy to provide

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I love the idea of La Mulana but I’m too dumb to play it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DanZX posted:

:yeshaha:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I binged through both La Mulana games over the course of a month last summer and it is exactly the kind of game for me but I also like solving puzzles of the kind of nature those games provide (as do others).

Gonna get them again on Switch and enjoy having forgotten enough to make doing it all again fun.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I definitely played the last 10% of La Mulana 1 with a guide and the remainder with like 4-5 pages of handwritten notes.

What I'm saying is it fuckin owns and that bundle is very very enticing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What's the playtime on each of those two?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

After Bloodstained it might not be a bad idea to wait a week or so to make sure there aren't any huge issues.

There's also the slim possibility of finding used copies for a slightly cheaper price, but I had no such luck with Mario Maker or Fire Emblem.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

DanZX posted:

Asstral Chain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the playtime on each of those two?

It really depends on if you use a guide or not but I'd say between the two La Mulana games you'll get 100 hours to get through them both, maybe more or less if the puzzles really click with you or if you have a really hard time.