Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Azza Bamboo posted:

Turns out my party is playing a campaign called Storm King's Thunder.

My goody two shoes high elf started a combat that had us kill the mafia that tried to take over Nightstone in a protection racket, but now we're being invaded by orcs with no protection racket to protect us.

You know, the Zhentarim's "protection racket" is little different from the usual allegiance to a local noble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Ok so I would appreciate some input on a character idea. Last time I got shot down for wanting to play a lazy, surly dwarf War Wizard, but whatever.

The character is a Half-Orc Zealot Barbarian with the Hermit background. Dresses in simple monks clothes and carries a maul covered with religious symbols. A few physical characteristics of being a half-orc are noticeable but are subtle and his manner of speech and dress are those of a human. He may have filed down prominent front teeth and removed excess body hair. When asked he will only say that his mother was human but avoids further discussion on the topic. He is similarly vague and evasive on the topic of his monastery, which would not be a familiar one to any party members, described as only "in the north". He presents himself to the party as having been sent from his monastery to strengthen his ability to maintain focus tranquility in the outside world before returning to pass a final test. He will try to talk the party out of violent encounters if possible, but when forced to fight refers to his rages only as "focusing" or "achieving clarity". Uses his Medicine skill to heal himself and others after fights. On rare occasions party members notice signs that he is deeply angry but it is almost always covered up.

So would a DM allow me to play a character like this without telling the other characters my true class, race, and alignment?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

You know, the Zhentarim's "protection racket" is little different from the usual allegiance to a local noble.

A protection racket is actually a liability, because if there's any money in it, the racketeers will help the orcs burn the village. It's... Not a service.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sodomy Hussein posted:

A protection racket is actually a liability, because if there's any money in it, the racketeers will help the orcs burn the village. It's... Not a service.

Yeah, I used quotes because the Sword Coast is a very dangerous place, and so while the Zenths are certainly up to the neck in all sorts of shady poo poo, their public face does provide a valuable and necessary service.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Smashing Link posted:

So would a DM allow me to play a character like this without telling the other characters my true class, race, and alignment?

I don't know the answer to this question, but players are going to wonder why you claim to be a monk yet never use ki points, and for some reason you have way more HP than you should, and you don't die in a few hits, etc. It's gonna be hard to hide that mechanically you're not what you claim to be, in other words. And once they notice that something's off and you're being evasive, they're more than likely going to keep digging and trying to figure out what your deal is, because nobody likes having secrets kept from them by an ostensible ally.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Smashing Link posted:

This sounds great to me as long as the other players know what's going on but their characters don't. We obviously can't say what your DM would say about such a proposition.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't know the answer to this question, but players are going to wonder why you claim to be a monk yet never use ki points, and for some reason you have way more HP than you should, and you don't die in a few hits, etc. It's gonna be hard to hide that mechanically you're not what you claim to be, in other words. And once they notice that something's off and you're being evasive, they're more than likely going to keep digging and trying to figure out what your deal is, because nobody likes having secrets kept from them by an ostensible ally.

Yeah I've considered those issues which make it an interesting question. On the one hand, knowing that a Monk should be using ki points is kind of metagaming. In character, why would a party member know that? Same for the HP issue. So I guess I'm assuming this would only work on an RP heavy group with a supportive DM.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Kaysette posted:

This sounds great to me as long as the other players know what's going on but their characters don't. We obviously can't say what your DM would say about such a proposition.

So where do you draw the line? Does each player have to know the alignment of each character in the group? In all the groups I've been the character sheets are pretty much open to everyone to look at but I'm not sure that is necessary.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Kaysette posted:

Exactly what I was going to post. If you're fine with this just being a roleplay thing I think it's fine; in-game characters shouldn't know the exact capabilities of all the classes unless they were super worldly. But if you're trying to pull a fast one on the actual physical players I would advise against it.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Do monks even use mauls? And yes players should know even if their characters don’t.

These kinds of situations always remind me of the Chapelle skit about the blind white supremacist who doesn’t know he’s black. It’s like the character himself doesn’t know he isn’t a real human monk, or the place he trains isn’t a real monastery because of the way he was raised. Perhaps intelligence was his dump stat. Anyway he isn’t actively trying to hide anything he just doesn’t know any better.

nelson fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 29, 2019

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is there a reason you'd be so secretive to traveling companions after you've been through a few scrapes? It doesn't seem like a huge deal to me, but then again I'm playing an aarakocra monk skinned as a human with wire-fu wuxia bullshit (I get the fly speed but cannot end my turn in mid-air) with a houserule to allow acrobatics as well as athletics for grappling so we're not exactly 100% by the book.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
It's also way easier to make fun character stuff happen when everyone involved knows what is going on, so they can play into your Definitely A Monk schtick instead of wasting a bunch of everybody's time going in circles trying to figure out what's up with you.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Smashing Link posted:

So where do you draw the line? Does each player have to know the alignment of each character in the group? In all the groups I've been the character sheets are pretty much open to everyone to look at but I'm not sure that is necessary.

The standard in every group I've even been in for vanilla D&D is open book as far as player knowledge of other PCs. Separating player knowledge from character knowledge is one of the big skills necessary to RP effectively and most people in my experience can do it well with an occasional reminder or slip up. If you want to play more secretively between players, talk it over with the DM and the group first and make sure they're on board with those different expectations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Conspiratiorist posted:

My character is a noble. The difference, from his perspective, is huge.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Smashing Link posted:

Ok so I would appreciate some input on a character idea. Last time I got shot down for wanting to play a lazy, surly dwarf War Wizard, but whatever.

The character is a Half-Orc Zealot Barbarian with the Hermit background. Dresses in simple monks clothes and carries a maul covered with religious symbols. A few physical characteristics of being a half-orc are noticeable but are subtle and his manner of speech and dress are those of a human. He may have filed down prominent front teeth and removed excess body hair. When asked he will only say that his mother was human but avoids further discussion on the topic. He is similarly vague and evasive on the topic of his monastery, which would not be a familiar one to any party members, described as only "in the north". He presents himself to the party as having been sent from his monastery to strengthen his ability to maintain focus tranquility in the outside world before returning to pass a final test. He will try to talk the party out of violent encounters if possible, but when forced to fight refers to his rages only as "focusing" or "achieving clarity". Uses his Medicine skill to heal himself and others after fights. On rare occasions party members notice signs that he is deeply angry but it is almost always covered up.

My experience here is that DM's are always content to let players try things like this out (unless it explicitly clashes with the campaign setup for some reason), but regardless of whether they play along with the mystery or strive to uncover it for quite valid IC reasons, the fact is the other players will fairly quickly deduce OOC your race and class just from your mechanical interactions - and attempts to obfuscate them with vague answers or hidden rolls and under-the-table notes to the DM will only slow down the game and possibly be annoying. Plus the first time you go down they'll peel your clothes off and, if not immediately obvious, the DM will give them a roll to guess your race. And they'll probably not even care.

So what I'm saying is go ahead and try it - it does actually work for one or two sessions, like when people mistakenly assume I'm playing a Fighter until I cast spells because I'm actually a Paladin, or a friend whose Dwarf "Wizard" turned out to be able to Rage and whose every "spell" involved hitting things really hard with various weapons.

Just, don't expect it to be a gimmick with any staying power whatsoever. And also, you can be a Monk in the Fluff, and a Barbarian in the Mechanics. In fact, that's what people might assume you're doing.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Kaysette posted:

The standard in every group I've even been in for vanilla D&D is open book as far as player knowledge of other PCs. Separating player knowledge from character knowledge is one of the big skills necessary to RP effectively and most people in my experience can do it well with an occasional reminder or slip up. If you want to play more secretively between players, talk it over with the DM and the group first and make sure they're on board with those different expectations.

So I'm thinking being open about the Half-Orc Barb piece is now a good idea, for the reasons mentioned above. What I'm not sure about myself is the character's true motivations -- is he Evil, raised by monks but they slaughtered them and is now concealing that fact? Or perhaps he is LG and truly trying to overcome his anger issues but was rejected by the monks and is concealing that part. I wonder if it would be ok to leave that part undecided, along with his alignment, and just RP it for awhile and see what happens.

edit: Third option mentioned above is that he is too stupid to know he isn't really a monk. That could be fun.

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 29, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nobody actually cares about what's written on your alignment field until you decide to make it an issue.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Maybe he’s angry at orcs instead of monks. Perhaps the relationship between his father and mother wasn’t consensual. That would explain why he’s trying to look/sound more human.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

When I made my tiefling vengeance paladin/rogue who's quite brutal I intentionally left the field blank so the other players would be slightly unsure of my character's intentions the first couple of games. And also because I wanted to see which direction the idea would go personally. It worked very well, and I ended up filling out chaotic good because that's the closest to what I was despite the brutality.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

nelson posted:

Maybe he’s angry at orcs instead of monks. Perhaps the relationship between his father and mother wasn’t consensual. That would explain why he’s trying to look/sound more human.

That could be it. His mother could have come to the monastery for help after she was raped by an orc.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Why not just make him an angry halforc who really wants to be a monk but gosh darn it he's always so angry? Make the monk-barb tension a part of the character, not a gotcha for the rest of the group.

Because if you lean too hard into the mystery of it, eventually (probably quite soon) that mystery is gonna come out, and you've lost half your character concept.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I dunno, secrets can be fun. Pretty much every character in our entire party in my current D&D game is hiding something from the others. Some of it we know out of character and some of it we don't know. I dunno what's up with our bard, but he's nervous about being seen around nobility for fear someone recognizes him, so there's something about that. I'm a warlock who is just doing the usual "I totally didn't get my powers from bargains with eldritch horrors" type thing, along with our paladin (who is totally not ALSO a warlock, which I didn't realize until he cast burning hands one time). Just don't make it a whole "SOMEONE PLEASE ASK ME ABOUT MY BACKSTORY" thing.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Kaysette posted:

Same here, my D&D games where we've had Secret poo poo going on that other players didn't know about had that possibility established with the group first. (In other poo poo like VtM, on the other hand, it was assumed.) The other PCs in my 5e game don't know that my warlock is a sentient sword possessing a guy, but the players know out of character, which means they can set up fun stuff for us to play off each other and my actions aren't completely bewildering to them.

e: For another example, I appreciate that I don't know OOC whether my Eberron game's cleric of the Traveler is Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil--and that game had it clear from the get-go that there could be stuff going on with other PCs that we didn't know about out of character.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Smashing Link posted:

So I'm thinking being open about the Half-Orc Barb piece is now a good idea, for the reasons mentioned above. What I'm not sure about myself is the character's true motivations -- is he Evil, raised by monks but they slaughtered them and is now concealing that fact? Or perhaps he is LG and truly trying to overcome his anger issues but was rejected by the monks and is concealing that part. I wonder if it would be ok to leave that part undecided, along with his alignment, and just RP it for awhile and see what happens.

edit: Third option mentioned above is that he is too stupid to know he isn't really a monk. That could be fun.

On the other hand, it could be totally reasonable that his skillset is completely normal by the standards of orcish monasticism, who value beating people to death with farming and/or construction tools and being dead 'ard to physical and spiritual pain.

As for why he decided to leave the monastery, it could be that they've somehow become disillusioned towards monastic values, either because he found them corrupt and hypocritical with respect to the values they claim to have, or he's not happy with the values their doctrine actually does uphold. As a half-orc, there could be any number of reasons why he feels he doesn't fit in with full-blooded orcs.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

I dunno, secrets can be fun. Pretty much every character in our entire party in my current D&D game is hiding something from the others. Some of it we know out of character and some of it we don't know. I dunno what's up with our bard, but he's nervous about being seen around nobility for fear someone recognizes him, so there's something about that. I'm a warlock who is just doing the usual "I totally didn't get my powers from bargains with eldritch horrors" type thing, along with our paladin (who is totally not ALSO a warlock, which I didn't realize until he cast burning hands one time). Just don't make it a whole "SOMEONE PLEASE ASK ME ABOUT MY BACKSTORY" thing.

lightrook posted:

On the other hand, it could be totally reasonable that his skillset is completely normal by the standards of orcish monasticism, who value beating people to death with farming and/or construction tools and being dead 'ard to physical and spiritual pain.

As for why he decided to leave the monastery, it could be that they've somehow become disillusioned towards monastic values, either because he found them corrupt and hypocritical with respect to the values they claim to have, or he's not happy with the values their doctrine actually does uphold. As a half-orc, there could be any number of reasons why he feels he doesn't fit in with full-blooded orcs.

So to avoid the PLEASE ASK ME ABOUT MY BACKSTORY thing I think just making him a character who is reluctant to talk about his background (at least first few sessions) is the way to go. Players will know he is a Half-Orc Barb who is going to present himself as a Monk for as yet undeclared reasons, but I will leave alignment and the full backstory blank for now, especially since there are too many good ideas to choose from.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Smashing Link posted:

So to avoid the PLEASE ASK ME ABOUT MY BACKSTORY thing I think just making him a character who is reluctant to talk about his background (at least first few sessions) is the way to go. Players will know he is a Half-Orc Barb who is going to present himself as a Monk for as yet undeclared reasons, but I will leave alignment and the full backstory blank for now, especially since there are too many good ideas to choose from.

That’s a great compromise.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Kaysette posted:

That’s a great compromise.

Thanks to the thread for the help.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Smashing Link posted:

It's probably fine to have your backstory still in the air, and arguably a bit better, because it's a bit easier to work your story into the world at large once you have a better idea what the world at large is actually like. I'd still suggest figuring out his general personality, full backstory or no, and once you've settled on the general pattern of his personality you can write a backstory to justify it. Even just being able to answer simple questions like what things (i.e. foods, activities, people) your character likes/dislikes goes a long way towards fleshing them out.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Alright lads, I've been drafted to enter a formerly one-on-one game (GM and 1 PC) and spice up social interactions and combat a bit.

I'm thinking i go Scourge Asamar Padlock, as a kind of Don Quixote knight-errant sort of thing. Problem is, i usually play full casters. I don't know how to build a great weapon fighter, and would appreciate any tips.

I'm coming in at level 3, if i could get an idea on how to progress as an effective DPS Padlock, I'd appreciate it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Smashing Link posted:

The premise that it's a lie does kind of require "Barbarian" and "Monk" to exist as things in the world. If your character uses his training to focus his emotions into improving his combat prowess then he might not be a capital M Monk but there's no actual in-game reason that "I'm a monk" has to be a lie.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah I'm also of the thought that players hiding information from each other, or hiding GM manual/monster manual information from players for that matter, is a bad crutch to lean on. I've seen even new players effectively separate IC information from OOC information, and it's a skill like any other so even those who are not great at it would benefit from practicing it rather than forcing it with hidden information. And in my experience some of the most fun moments in gaming were from knowing things my character didn't and being able to see the doom my character was carelessly wandering into.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Yeah, i think the only time it's good for the other players not to know background stuff is when nobody knows this stuff. I have a harper rogue in my current group who has Harper HQ pissed off at him after he royally hosed up a job, but it's only ever referred to as "the incident" and all other harpers the party interact with refuse to talk about it for increasingly ludicrous reasons. But all the players are fully in on the idea that nobody at the table knows what happened in the incident, even if the rogue and half my NPCs do. That's what makes the secret fun!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
We had a guy once who was posing as a different race, which we all knew since we helped build the character, but he never revealed it to the characters because it never came up. Anyway, we pulled off a heist after 5-6 prep games and the dude was the one to hold the bag when we split up. When we all got to the meeting spot, the player had his shiteating grin on his face. He had run with the money and shed his disguise, and we had no clue who he really was.

Fucker pulled off a double-con where we were in on half the joke and the DM had planned for him to become the temporary villain while he played something else.

The dude died to save our lives later down the line :cheers:

Secrets aren't bad but you definitely need to get people on board, to a point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Azza Bamboo posted:

My character is a noble. The difference, from his perspective, is huge.

That is generally how it is for that stuff. Good luck on not being murdered by Orcs.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
It depends on your DM. I've played with a DM who banned anyone in the group relaying their class/race/etc out of character and multiple people in that group played an obfuscated race (such as me playing a kitsune who never used her natural form and was very good at pretending to be human) and it was a fun time. Generally, though, groups like to play open knowledge, so if that's what you've been doing I wouldn't bother trying to hide it from the players. Just ask them not to metagame that knowledge to their characters and let them be in on the joke that their characters don't know.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

nelson posted:

Do monks even use mauls? And yes players should know even if their characters don’t.

These kinds of situations always remind me of the Chapelle skit about the blind white supremacist who doesn’t know he’s black. It’s like the character himself doesn’t know he isn’t a real human monk, or the place he trains isn’t a real monastery because of the way he was raised. Perhaps intelligence was his dump stat. Anyway he isn’t actively trying to hide anything he just doesn’t know any better.

That kind of setup is definitely workable and can be fun - in the game I'm running now, one of the player characters is a half-orc in a setting that normally doesn't have orcs, so everyone just assumes he's a freakishly large goblin, including him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I once played a session where a bard was pretending to be a fighter because he was on the lam and had an amulet that gave people the illusion that he's much buffer than he really is. And there was a cleric in the party who was actually a star pact warlock and basically just using the party to get to an eldritch relic to help his masters cross over into the world. And there was an elf wizard who was hiding his religion because he was afraid of persecution, and he was also hiding that he was basically on a holy quest from his order and not just a random adventurer.

Then there was a half orc barbarian, who was generally confused.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Then there was a half orc barbarian, who was generally confused.

Confusion leads to impatience. Impatience leads to rage. Thus the life of the barbarian.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Most players are OOC Barbarians - they get impatient, and rage.

I myself have been guilty of this on multiple occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Goddamn, what do you even do with a character like that? Isn't literal godhood somewhere around 30th level?

They had fought one deity in order to restore another one to existence, but nobody in the group actually wanted to ascend. Gamers in college before the Internet had a lot of time on our hands, so I continued the campaign with them for a while longer. They did some plane traveling, then crossed a nasty mountain range that coincided with a dead magic zone to find out what was on the other side. They found a nation of beholders with some very powerful wizards, loosely based on the Taken from the Black Company series. For example, one of them was actually an illusion made real, formed by eight archmagi who merged their minds together into a gestalt form, which was capable of casting up to eight spells at once.

Things wrapped when they encountered the nation on the other side of the beholder nation, which was dragons. With character levels. An ancient Red Dragon with 30 levels of wizard and magical equipment appropriate for the level is rather dangerous.

I should note that the campaign was deliberately imagined as a high-level campaign to see how things played; characters started with 3 million XP, which was 18th level for wizards and higher for everyone else. I wanted to see what happened to the system if you tried breaking it.

It's not hard to challenge PCs at any level, it's just a matter of imagination. I designed a one-off game where high level PCs were sent into a vault designed by a deity and defended by a mixture of magical traps and some extremely well-equipped kobolds. Normal kobolds. No character levels. Kobolds in a complex they know very well that's packed with magical traps created by a deity (that therefore work even in antimagic and are very hard to dispel or disarm) can be remarkably lethal. Telling interesting stories can be trickier, but it's not impossible.