Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

:allears: If life had Quicksave... :allears:

It does, but you can't save when there are enemies nearby.

I'm finally gonna cut the mini mufflers off my car, 8 inch long exhaust turndowns are $15 at canadian tire. a 90 degree 2 inch galvanized conduit is $11 at home depot and i can make like 4 of em out of it.

life hacks!

Beach Bum posted:

I dunno; it's just a weird situation and it might resolve (between them, that is; his job keeps him away from home life a lot sometimes and Mom's had enough). Dad's so fiercely independent, and he hates feeling like a failure, I agree he shouldn't be ashamed or secretive or whatever but I guess he wants to keep the problem under wraps until it's a sure thing.

Just tell her if she's edged cause he's weasing on her grindage, just chill, cause if he had the whole brady bunch thing happening at his pad, he'd go grind over there, so don't tax his gig so hard-core cruster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CCwlbMJDUw&t=31s

(that scene starts out super creepy, holy poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tremek posted:

Beach Bum: sounds like you both need to work on communication; you being weird and evasive about your dad’s situation probably didn’t help, but her lack of understanding (I mean c’mon - it’s your parent) also sucks. Side note, you’re not in college, “roommate” has juvenile implications, probably better to phrase that differently to any/all.

With that said I’m astounded that she doesn’t contribute to the mortgage unless that’s how you see the $200/mo. This person sounds coddled.

The dog thing is also dumb considering she has to know you have a dog, and that said dog needs help? Moving in together and adopting cats all in a 6 month period are yellow flags at best. This kind of drama may well be portents of things to come IMO. :( I sense a lack of empathy and an increased sense of narcissism on her part, and you may be an enabler. Consider counseling/therapy, or maybe just :sever: as none of this will just get better on its own, you’ll need effort from both parties.

KillHour posted:

Yeah, but she doesn't even know it's his dad. I feel like if you're dating and living with this person, she has a right to know this stuff. I'd be bothered as hell if my GF said "someone might need to live with us for a while and I can't tell you who." Like, if you don't trust her to not go out and tell everyone about it, you shouldn't be dating or living with her.

Edit: to be honest, 3 months is way too soon to move in together. You're still treating her like a roommate instead of a partner and she doesn't appreciate it.

Combination of what's already been posted. This doesn't sound like a good situation, and her being young/poor/whatever and not having another place to go she could feel a little trapped without much control of her situation. You have to be up front and communicate if you expect any of this to work out. It sounds like a touchy situation with the work aspect but this is your partner, not a roommate. If you can't trust her with this info (to keep quiet about it) then there are probably deeper issues.

The dog thing is probably just her already being pissed in the first place and just one more thing to be mad about. Resolve problem one first and deal with this later, IMO.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KillHour posted:

Yeah, but she doesn't even know it's his dad. I feel like if you're dating and living with this person, she has a right to know this stuff. I'd be bothered as hell if my GF said "someone might need to live with us for a while and I can't tell you who." Like, if you don't trust her to not go out and tell everyone about it, you shouldn't be dating or living with her.

:agreed:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

some people only view dogs as the little yippy purse dogs, or the tear a child apart dogs, and don't realize most of them are just big dumb cats.

LOL Dogs only WISH they were cool like cats.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I mean it's not that I don't trust her, it's that Dad asked me to keep quiet about it, and being that we're super close I tend to respect those requests. It's just put me in a rather dicey spot.

I'll likely end up asking if he can loosen up a bit so I can ease the tension a bit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Cats are cool too. I generally like most pet-type critters.

Except squirrels, squirrels can loving gently caress off, bitey little shits.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 29, 2019

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I will steal every bicycle you own and leave you with only recumbents if you keep this up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I don't see a need for any DOG interceptors around here. :colbert:

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

I mean it's not that I don't trust her, it's that Dad asked me to keep quiet about it, and being that we're super close I tend to respect those requests. It's just put me in a rather dicey spot.

I'll likely end up asking if he can loosen up a bit so I can ease the tension a bit.

She doesn't really have any say, but not telling her who is possibly moving in is a dick move, and a bigger dick move by your dad for making it your problem.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

Maksimus54 posted:

She doesn't really have any say, but not telling her who is possibly moving in is a dick move, and a bigger dick move by your dad for making it your problem.

To an extent, neither of them have any say here. Your communication to the GF shouldn't have been any more than "my dad is coming to stay for a while and I'm bringing my dog home", and your dad cannot reasonably expect you to keep someone WHO WILL BE IN THE loving HOUSE WITH HIM from knowing what is going on.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Maksimus54 posted:

I guess I hadn’t picked up that Beach Bum STILL hadn’t told his GF the “roommate” is dad.

Life lesson for Beach Bum: if you’re living with someone and sleeping with them, honest and open communication with them trumps whatever reason for confidentiality you think you need to carry with your dad.

If you still can’t bring yourself to be open and honest with said person,

1) you probably shouldn’t be with them,
2) you need to work on your own poo poo so you can have mature relationships, and
3) you need to make sure your dad understands those boundaries, and if he doesn’t, set them

Put yourself in your GF’s shoes - if the tables were turned and you were living with her and it was her mom that was moving in but you didn’t know that - leaving you to think her ex-boyfriend or someone is moving in as a “roommate” - you would be 10x weirded out by the whole thing.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
BB, if I were in your GF’s shoes “hey we might be getting a new roommate but I can’t tell you who it is, I’m going to work now kbye!” would definitely upset me more than “hey my mom and dad are splitting up and he might need to crash with us until he finds a place, are you OK with that?” I’m sure your GF would respect his privacy if you asked, it’s inevitable that she’s going to find out what’s going on if/when he moves in with you so keeping it a secret is just going to make things unnecessarily weird.

She might not pay any of the mortgage but having gone through a similar situation recently (hosting a recently single close friend of my partner’s until he could find a new place) it’s a stressful situation even if you’re all in the loop about what’s going on. If you guys are at the point where you’re saying “I love you” and living together she deserves transparency even if she doesn’t get veto power.

efb kinda but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Maksimus54 posted:

I agree with this a lot.

You have more than a "housemate" in your SO at this point. The way expenses are tied up are completely irrelevant and pulling rank by saying "I make more money and spend on our housing than you do" will end your relationship. You share your dwelling, full stop. My wife hasn't worked in over seven years and I wouldn't dare ever trying something like that. Your dad should be completely understanding that "you aren't telling anyone" means that you don't tell anyone outside of your house. My wife and I tell each other everything because we are mature adults and understand that things told in confidence are meant to be kept in confidence and we are united together. When friends/neighbors/family say "don't tell anyone" to one of us, they know full well that the other person in the marriage will also be told but that it will be kept in confidence.

Rethink the whole situation and think about how if you approached it differently. If you came outright and said "Hey, SHTF for my parents marriage and I am concerned Dad might not have a place immediately following the fall out. We (Editors note: not "I") have a spare room. If I help you get it a little sorted and organized do you think it would be okay if he stays here until he figures out housing?"

You could then go into specifics about what kind of duration you anticipate so you have a plan. Your dad should be involved in that discussion as well barring an agreement with your SO.

I have a 2K sqft basement with two guest rooms, bathroom, etc that we fully have set up for the expectation that either my parents or my wife's parents stay literally whenever they need. It is an open invitation to either of them, they have access to the house etc but my wife and I always clear it with one another before committing the "okay" with our parents because we respect that we both have equal say.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I agree with this a lot.

You have more than a "housemate" in your SO at this point. The way expenses are tied up are completely irrelevant and pulling rank by saying "I make more money and spend on our housing than you do" will end your relationship. You share your dwelling, full stop. My wife hasn't worked in over seven years and I wouldn't dare ever trying something like that. Your dad should be completely understanding that "you aren't telling anyone" means that you don't tell anyone outside of your house. My wife and I tell each other everything because we are mature adults and understand that things told in confidence are meant to be kept in confidence and we are united together. When friends/neighbors/family say "don't tell anyone" to one of us, they know full well that the other person in the marriage will also be told but that it will be kept in confidence.

Rethink the whole situation and think about how if you approached it differently. If you came outright and said "Hey, SHTF for my parents marriage and I am concerned Dad might not have a place immediately following the fall out. We (Editors note: not "I") have a spare room. If I help you get it a little sorted and organized do you think it would be okay if he stays here until he figures out housing?"

You could then go into specifics about what kind of duration you anticipate so you have a plan. Your dad should be involved in that discussion as well barring an agreement with your SO.

I have a 2K sqft basement with two guest rooms, bathroom, etc that we fully have set up for the expectation that either my parents or my wife's parents stay literally whenever they need. It is an open invitation to either of them, they have access to the house etc but my wife and I always clear it with one another before committing the "okay" with our parents because we respect that we both have equal say.

This.

And: some dog people just don't know they're dog people yet. My wife finally cajoled me into getting my first dog 6 years ago and I sometimes get a little weepy just thinking about all of the dog love I missed in the previous 34 years of my life.

And: when you are in a position of power, reminding somebody of that position ("you get a say when you have an ownership interest in the house") is antagonistic at best. That may be true, but saying it is unkind. Yes, you have approached this situation with logic. But you have not approached it with kindness or emotional sensitivity. That's a hard skill to learn but is a 100% predictor of relationship health.

Try this on for size: knowing that you have the power in the situation - you could, after all, break up with her and kick her out into the street - would it actually hurt you to make her feel like a part of the decision by making it a question? "Hon, this is family stuff and so just between you and I, but it looks like my dad might need to move out and he doesn't know where to go right now. Do you think we could put him up here in the spare room for a bit to take some pressure off of him?" If she says no, maybe there's a good reason, and maybe that's a good conversation. But if it's a no with no good reason, you still have all the power in this situation.

Now imagine being in her shoes and knowing everything above. She can't say no. She isn't being consulted, but if she pushes back, she could be homeless.

1. Be kind to people, it's just the right thing to do. Sometimes they'll really surprise you.
2. Object lesson: this is privilege. Be careful with it, it's a weapon even if you don't intend to use it so.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HandlingByJebus posted:

And: some dog people just don't know they're dog people yet. My wife finally cajoled me into getting my first dog 6 years ago and I sometimes get a little weepy just thinking about all of the dog love I missed in the previous 34 years of my life.

I've tried, and I'm not a dog person :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

e: holy poo poo this owns

https://www.stryder-it.de/simdashboard/index.php

live gauges and button panels for racing sims. this is from beam.NG but it works in ETS2. If i can get this working with my tractors i'll be over the moon.

e2: and i just mashed the throttle and launched my loving tablet across the room.

Why can't someone do this for ACTUAL cars?
I sincerely wish someone would make a black box that takes inputs from gauge senders and such, then outputs to an app you can install on a cheap phone or tablet so I can build a dash. There are aftermarket dashes, but they all seem to be expensive as hell and all kinds of proprietary, not to mention no where near as customizable. I mean, you could even use the GPS in the phone for speed!
I suppose the answer is I need to learn a bit more about electronics and programming.
Hmmm... I guess if you get your black box to spit out telemetry data like a game...

edit: I have nothing to add to the E/N discussion. I've been married successfully for 19 years, but I'm still not sure how.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Darchangel posted:

I sincerely wish someone would make a black box that takes inputs from gauge senders and such, then outputs to an app you can install on a cheap phone or tablet so I can build a dash...

They have that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I sincerely wish someone would make a black box that takes inputs from gauge senders and such, then outputs to an app you can install on a cheap phone or tablet so I can build a dash. There are aftermarket dashes, but they all seem to be expensive as hell and all kinds of proprietary, not to mention no where near as customizable. I mean, you could even use the GPS in the phone for speed!
I suppose the answer is I need to learn a bit more about electronics and programming.
Hmmm... I guess if you get your black box to spit out telemetry data like a game...

edit: I have nothing to add to the E/N discussion. I've been married successfully for 19 years, but I'm still not sure how.

You just described a $10 bluetooth dongle and $5 for torque pro

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

Kinda. The rate of data on from the OBD-II might not be sufficient for gauges. Which is why

Darchangel posted:

There are aftermarket dashes, but they all seem to be expensive as hell and all kinds of proprietary, not to mention no where near as customizable.

HandlingByJebus posted:

Be kind to people, it's just the right thing to do. Sometimes they'll really surprise you.

Good folks on these here forums. :)

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Kinda. The rate of data on from the OBD-II might not be sufficient for gauges. Which is why

Good folks on these here forums. :)

I'm pretty sure a device communicating with a vehicle's CANbus over the OBD2 port is at no disadvantage versus other devices on the bus - CAN in theory has a 1 mbit/s limit and gauge clusters themselves are often directly consuming CANbus data for display.

What can sometimes be harder to deal with is decoding which PIDs represent what data, and what scale the values are on.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Along those lines, I have been hunting for a semi-affordable way to combine OBD data with auxiliary analog sensor data and send all of that combined data to a single android app like torque or dashcommand.

Cheapest I have found is PLX followed by AEM then DEFI.

Is there anything else?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Cool. Because my 1970 Cutlass *definitely* has OBD II.
I should have clarified that, I suppose. This would be for my ancient poo poo that doesn't have all the gee-whiz to begin with. All the retail stuff I've found (so far) to work with analog sensors starts at about $1K, and still doesn't offer the kind of customization as far as the layouts and style as that SIM Dashboard.

I mean, I can use discrete electronic gauges, sure, but it really seems like, in 2019, I should be able to put a single display in the car, and drive it with whatever gauges, colors, or layout I want, like the newer Vettes, Hellcat, etc.

edit: One potential answer is the MegaSquirt 3 Pro, which supports CAN-BUS, as I recall. I plan to fuel inject the thing anyway. $800 for the ECU, though.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 29, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Tremek posted:

What can sometimes be harder to deal with is decoding which PIDs represent what data, and what scale the values are on.

With the right tools, this is easy for basic signals at least. Did some of this when I was green(er) doing competitive testing. :) What is difficult also is that not everything is mandated to be streamed to the ALDL, and more and more parameters are added every year at an exponential rate. Oh, and the manufacturers that have separate diagnostic ports hidden away under panels that we needed to use because they were less secure with generic (AKA not their manufacturer) tools.

The rate thing bugs me because I was used to 100 hz for anything I wanted in previous work, so 5-10 hz looks like garbage in comparison. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Cool. Because my 1970 Cutlass *definitely* has OBD II.
I should have clarified that, I suppose. This would be for my ancient poo poo that doesn't have all the gee-whiz to begin with. All the retail stuff I've found (so far) to work with analog sensors starts at about $1K, and still doesn't offer the kind of customization as far as the layouts and style as that SIM Dashboard.

I mean, I can use discrete electronic gauges, sure, but it really seems like, in 2019, I should be able to put a single display in the car, and drive it with whatever gauges, colors, or layout I want, like the newer Vettes, Hellcat, etc.

edit: One potential answer is the MegaSquirt 3 Pro, which supports CAN-BUS, as I recall. I plan to fuel inject the thing anyway. $800 for the ECU, though.

LT4 swap it :shrug:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tremek posted:

I'm pretty sure a device communicating with a vehicle's CANbus over the OBD2 port is at no disadvantage versus other devices on the bus - CAN in theory has a 1 mbit/s limit and gauge clusters themselves are often directly consuming CANbus data for display.

Except the sampling rate over OBD2 is much slower than interfacing directly with the bus. And the more PIDs you're checking, the slower the refresh gets.

10 hZ (best case) is a bit too slow for stuff like a tach, and the more stuff you're pulling data for, the slower it gets. Hell the factory tach on my car is laggy enough, and it's tied directly into the bus. Comparing directly interfacing with the bus to capturing data using the generic OBD2 protocol is like comparing 6mbit DSL to a 2400 bps dialup BBS.

There's ways to directly interface with the bus over the OBD2 port, but you need something that speaks the car's native tongue instead of the generic OBD2 protocols. That's not gonna be as cheap or easy.

T-Square posted:

About a month ago, I asked my friend to come over with his Tacoma to help me get rid of a mattress and box spring, and we could NOT get his tailgate to open, so we had to gently caress around worming our arms under the tonneau cover to get it rolled up.

Last weekend he borrowed his step-dad's chainsaw to help his wife's grandpa clear some trees out of his property. On the way home, the tailgate popped open and the chainsaw slid out of the bed :v:

:golfclap:

I wanted to get some more stuff moved today. Sprayed graphite in the lock. No good, it still locks, I can still open the glass part (which slams into the top of my dome about 10 seconds after letting go of it, natch), but I can't unlock the hatch. Stuck my head in and found an access panel dead center in the middle. It looks like it's to get to the license plate lights, but I was able to find the rod going to the lock cylinder. Popped it open easily. That cover is staying off until I can get a copy of the key she uses every day. The key I use sometimes has issues with the passenger side door too (it'll lock, but not unlock).

And if you ever wondered if you cat fit a Lay-Z-Boy recliner in a Matrix and fully close the hatch... yes you can. Have to angle it a little to get it to completely clear the opening, but it fit with plenty of room to spare. And now the car smells like hantavirus. :barf:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 29, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

LT4 swap it :shrug:

Nah, I like my Oldmobile engine. If I were going to swap it, some variant of LSx would happen, but that’s too easy.
A twin turbo, EFI genuine Olds engine will be much more unusual.
I do intend to LS something at some point, though, probably one of my dead rotaries.

Edit: typo initially a mistake, but it amused me, so it stays.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

Except the sampling rate over OBD2 is much slower than interfacing directly with the bus. And the more PIDs you're checking, the slower the refresh gets.

10 hZ (best case) is a bit too slow for stuff like a tach, and the more stuff you're pulling data for, the slower it gets. Hell the factory tach on my car is laggy enough, and it's tied directly into the bus. Comparing directly interfacing with the bus to capturing data using the generic OBD2 protocol is like comparing 6mbit DSL to a 2400 bps dialup BBS.

There's ways to directly interface with the bus over the OBD2 port, but you need something that speaks the car's native tongue instead of the generic OBD2 protocols. That's not gonna be as cheap or easy.

OBD2 in practice is a standard, not a protocol. There’s 5+? widely used protocols that can run over the port/bus, and CANbus can talk at 250-500kbit/s. Virtually all cars over the past 10 years speak some form of CAN.

Edit, more info:

Wikipedia posted:

ISO 15765 CAN (250 kbit/s or 500 kbit/s). The CAN protocol was developed by Bosch for automotive and industrial control. Unlike other OBD protocols, variants are widely used outside of the automotive industry. While it did not meet the OBD-II requirements for U.S. vehicles prior to 2003, as of 2008 all vehicles sold in the US are required to implement CAN as one of their signaling protocols.

pin 6: CAN High
pin 14: CAN Low
CANH signal voltage level: 3.5V (min/max 2.75 to 4.50)
CANL signal voltage level: 1.5V (min/max 0.5 to 2.25)

All OBD-II pinouts use the same connector, but different pins are used with the exception of pin 4 (battery ground) and pin 16 (battery positive).

I also found sources indicating CAN can transmit 1mbit/s, so in no way are you going to saturate the bus even doing 1-10ms update/refresh cycle, multi-byte messages to a speedo and tach.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 29, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm aware of that, but many of them are significantly slower when communicating with one of the several OBD2 protocols instead of the manufacturer-specific protocol.

And CAN dates back to 1992 for automotive use; GM and Mercedes were the first to use it. GM's implementation, at least in the late 00s, uses a whopping 10.4 Kbps for stuff that doesn't need the high speed bus (the PCM and other critical components communicate with each other at ~500 Kbps).

I'm not saying the CAN bus itself isn't speedy - it's plenty fast for what it is. But speed goes to poo poo when you're using one of the generic OBD2 protocols instead of a manufacturer specific protocol. The whole reason this came up was implementing aftermarket gauges; any that actually do tie into the existing vehicle electronics will likely do so via a generic OBD2 protocol.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 29, 2019

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

I guess I hadn’t picked up that Beach Bum STILL hadn’t told his GF the “roommate” is dad.

Life lesson for Beach Bum: if you’re living with someone and sleeping with them, honest and open communication with them trumps whatever reason for confidentiality you think you need to carry with your dad.

If you still can’t bring yourself to be open and honest with said person,

1) you probably shouldn’t be with them,
2) you need to work on your own poo poo so you can have mature relationships, and
3) you need to make sure your dad understands those boundaries, and if he doesn’t, set them

Put yourself in your GF’s shoes - if the tables were turned and you were living with her and it was her mom that was moving in but you didn’t know that - leaving you to think her ex-boyfriend or someone is moving in as a “roommate” - you would be 10x weirded out by the whole thing.

seconding this. Communication is paramount. Whether it's the best of times or when everything is going to hell in a Russian missile program.

Darchangel posted:

Nah, I like my Oldmobile engine. If I were going to swap it, some variant of LSx would happen, but that’s too easy.

keep your old poo poo. Learn some python or arduino or whatever

sensor >> analog to digital converter >> esp32/rpi/arduino/etc >> display

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

I'm aware of that, but many of them are significantly slower when communicating with one of the several OBD2 protocols instead of the manufacturer-specific protocol.

And CAN dates back to 1992 for automotive use; GM and Mercedes were the first to use it. GM's implementation, at least in the late 00s, uses a whopping 10.4 Kbps for stuff that doesn't need the high speed bus (the PCM and other critical components communicate with each other at ~500 Kbps).

I'm not saying the CAN bus itself isn't speedy - it's plenty fast for what it is. But speed goes to poo poo when you're using one of the generic OBD2 protocols instead of a manufacturer specific protocol. The whole reason this came up was implementing aftermarket gauges; any that actually do tie into any kind of bus will likely be using one of the generic protocols.

You're not making sense or confused, I'm not sure which. OBD2 ports were required on all US cars from 1996 onward, and I think the original OBD2 standard was ISO 9141, but there's been 4+ standards just used in the US that communicate over the physical port, using different wires, as none of the standards have ever utilized all wires available on the OBD2 port.

In 1996, no car used ISO 15745-4 CAN on the OBD2 port as I don't think it existed as an ISO standard at that point even if Bosch (may) have already designed it, or at the very least an earlier revision of CAN. The US Gov't didn't require any CAN to be available on the OBD2 port until it adopted ISO 15765-4 CAN as the standard that would ultimately be required by 2008; some manufacturers started providing ISO 15765-4 on the OBD2 port as early as 2003, but it was required from 2008 onward.

GM in the 1990s was using the Class-2 Bus - not CAN - and conforming to SAE J1850 VPW (variable pulse-width) which is and was limited to 10.4 KB/s. They may have also still supported ISO 9141 for backward compatibility on the OBD2 port itself for pulling OBD2 fault codes, but I'm not 100% on that.

Prior to ISO 15765-4 being required as an industry-wide standard, GM designed and switched to using GMLAN as a communications format running over the CAN network, but in a transition period (~2000-2007?) often or always, not sure, did not support ISO 15765-4 on the OBD2 port, still providing SAE J1850 VPW. Meanwhile Ford in the early 00s was doing their own thing and decided to use SAE J1850 PWM (pulse-width modulation) which could run something like 40 KB/s on their cars.

All these different standards could still provide OBD2 PIDs, but at differing rates, on different wires, via different communication methods. So yes, your old cars are transmitting information over the equivalent of a POTS copper telephone line at 2400 bps, but as of 2003 onward, some manufacturers were using the equivalent of DSL modems over the same infrastructure to transmit the same information and more over a different digital bus at 250-500 kbit/s, and everyone was by 2008.

In a car from 2008+ onward, you're guaranteed that it's going to support ISO 15765 CAN, and that's going to be available on the OBD2 port because ultimately all the different standards use different pins so adding new standards hasn't negatively impacted previous standards. Even a $10 ELM327 Chinesium dongle off Amazon supports 500 kbit/s CAN so long as the manufacturer added the right pins and/or the ripoff chip in it isn't hobbled.

A good visualization of the different pins used by the different standards:

Edit: one more analogy for you; for cars that support ISO 15765 CAN, think of the OBD2 port as not just where you can pull OBD2 trouble/fault codes, but a network jack that lets you get on the Car Wide Web via CANBus and, with a CAN-compatible device, you can either be a passive listener to the data flowing over the bus (gauges) or transmit your own data to other devices on the bus (ECM, BCM, TCM, etc etc.)

Before the forced adoption of ISO 15765 by 2008, yes, different manufacturers were using their expensive and proprietary scan tools to be able to update their own cars and run diagnostics or control different computers in their cars - but they were still ultimately doing so (with a few minor exceptions) using the same wiring and conforming to one of the 4 standards that an emissions testing center could pull OBD2 PIDs on demand from.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 29, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

keep your old poo poo. Learn some python or arduino or whatever

sensor >> analog to digital converter >> esp32/rpi/arduino/etc >> display

Yes, I should do that, and I want to do that, but good God, I'm 50 next week, and I've still got a *lot* of poo poo on my list. Y'know?
I really do want to fiddle with Arduino, etc., among other things.
I just watched aaroncake over on YouTube convert some of the instruments in the factory dash in his Mazda Cosmo AP (1976 - not the original Cosmo,) and that's pretty damned cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLoYRv2thwc

edit: part of my problem is that the factory gauges in my Cutlass didn't have all the useful gauges like oil pressure and coolant temp, or even tach. There was a factory option, but it's pricey (look up 1970 Cutlass "tick tock tach" or "Rallye gauges".) I have three ~4" gauge locations, so I'd need a tach in one, speedo in one, and then a combo gauge in the third. It's that 4" combo gauge that's tough to find, though I bet Dakota Digital or someone could build me a custom face if I shat $$.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 29, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://twitter.com/Bringatrailer/status/1167177676546658304?s=19

Hahahahahaha what the gently caress?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

We're getting old right before our very eyes. Someday soon BaT is going to sell a mint-condition yellow H2 for 35,000

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Darchangel posted:

Yes, I should do that, and I want to do that, but good God, I'm 50 next week, and I've still got a *lot* of poo poo on my list. Y'know?
I really do want to fiddle with Arduino, etc., among other things.
I just watched aaroncake over on YouTube convert some of the instruments in the factory dash in his Mazda Cosmo AP (1976 - not the original Cosmo,) and that's pretty damned cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLoYRv2thwc

edit: part of my problem is that the factory gauges in my Cutlass didn't have all the useful gauges like oil pressure and coolant temp, or even tach. There was a factory option, but it's pricey (look up 1970 Cutlass "tick tock tach" or "Rallye gauges".) I have three ~4" gauge locations, so I'd need a tach in one, speedo in one, and then a combo gauge in the third. It's that 4" combo gauge that's tough to find, though I bet Dakota Digital or someone could build me a custom face if I shat $$.

There's a pretty insane cluster build that Sagebrush did for his old Honda Hawk somewhere in CA, the end product looks like cover art for Gunship, tons of tech links and whatnot in the post that might be a good jumping-off point for building something yourself, there's so many little electronic doodads available nowadays a lot of electronics poo poo is pretty easy, and you can avoid a lot of the programming by buying electrical gubbins that work without being wrung through an Arduino first, if you want to cheat, I whipped up this "magic" box as a sensory toy for my nephew in a out an hour.

There's a lot of really solid relationship advice going on in this thread, I own the house I live in, and I still let my roomates (married couple) know when my gf is coming over, and I always phrase it politely, ask if they "mind" and it's been almost every weekend for months. People, especially those who are constrained by situation or finance, like to at least have the feeling that they have some amount of control over it, and it's never a bad idea to find a more polite way to break news to someone, even, or especially, if the ultimate card that you're going to play is "get out of MY house" which is the one I'd personally use if my GF of 6ish months took a hard stand against any of my family moving in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Weird. My wife insists I deliberately turn the traction control off, but then again she does give the warboys V8 salute to the M3 every time we go out to it from wherever we're parked at...

Your wife sounds cool. :)

Did the fluids in Vic today pending road trip tomorrow, and I adore working on something that big. Everything's well clearanced except the rear spark plugs.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
She is pretty cool. The fact that she's owned more fun cars (two Mk1 MR2's - one with RHD and one with LHD, a couple Fox Body Mustangs, a vintage Rolls) than I have isn't a bad thing either.

She's also 5'9, has a very middle-english british accent with the edges rubbed off from being a Lancashire lass educated at Oxford, and enjoys watching me play shooter video games (poorly). I can't complain - I've done okay for a no-account chancer from Iowa..

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I don't know what offends me more: this or that e46.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

RE: BaT

This is going to 20k innit?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

I am upset. I'm ancient. gently caress

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've been watching prices climb on 240s for a while now. Maybe 3 years ago you could pick them up in decent condition for well under a grand and now they're all at least 2 grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

dubzee posted:

RE: BaT

This is going to 20k innit?

I bet more. Clean CRXs were picked over a decade ago. Fun car at the time, pretty much defined the segment. I wouldn't be surprised with $25k+

Edit: speaking of deals, one of you guys buy this, put it on BaT, then reap major profit. I don't have the time right now.

https://www.cedarrapidstoyota.com/used/Toyota/1975-Toyota-Land+Cruiser+FJ55-hiawatha-ia-9eeb99f10a0d0cc72f5092d3d13aa3e7.htm

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 30, 2019