Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

teagone posted:

It's called UNO for a reason lol. It's basically the OG Plex Home Theater app UI—which was easily the best—but with some added customization options.

The TV mode was the one that, recently, finally changed to match the UNO UI used in their other streaming apps, though. I'm not quite sure where they're going with this if they are taking that mode out entirely.

I suspect they're not quite sure where they're going with this either. :D

astral fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

They're finally going for a unified UI across all platforms. No different UI for Apple, Roku, Android, etc. They tried with that god awful revision that had the navigation up at the top that you could sorta customize but holy poo poo was that a terrible implementation lol. The OG tvOS UI is still my favorite, but Plex HT was a close second so I'm happy that UNO is modeled after that since that was pretty much the gold standard several years ago for HTPCs running Plex/XBMC.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I was worried when the Apple TV version was caught up in it all, as it was my favorite version too. It’s close enough to the old one with a few new extra bits that I can deal.

RIP to the Firestick holding out and having plugins support until the other week.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Plex.app is an upgrade for the desktop for sure.
It finally reliably does 5.1/7.1 without needing to use the "TV" UI on the desktop.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh nice I hadn’t realized there was a desktop version even, I have been using the web app to watch on pc. Will have to check it out!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So a long time ago I was having a problem with my TCL TV and the built in Plex app just crashing on startup. You might remember this one Ixian. I was never able to resolve it until recently. I doubt anyone else will run into this but just in case they do or this pops up on Google searches, here is the solution. Basically there was some stupid library that Roku didn't include with specific sets/regions, if you add that channel in the link I provided it will work again.

So I can finally just use the TCL TV for Plex and everything else. I long ago bought a Shield TV I'm happy with for that TV but oh well :)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Glad you got that fixed - it was a weird one. Still is. Missing dependency? Hard to troubleshoot in a closed system like the Roku.

I don't know about you but I actually prefer the Plex Roku client over Android TV day to day.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex is finally running a promo code for the $75 lifetime Plex Pass for everyone, no targeted email needed.

Promo code: PLEXFORLIFE

Only for new customers however, so if you have an existing account you need to sign up under a new email.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

FCKGW posted:

Plex is finally running a promo code for the $75 lifetime Plex Pass for everyone, no targeted email needed.

Only for new customers however, so if you have an existing account you need to sign up under a new email.

Can you use google play money with that code?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

FCKGW posted:

For gently caress's sake

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

FCKGW posted:

:argh:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nothing quite like rewarding long term clients.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Does the TCL app properly support 4K files (hdr and all, without transcoding)? My main home theater is has always been a shield on my main 4K tv but we are moving into a new house and while I’ll probably be getting a tcl to fill the space in the living room I’m not sure if I’ll need to repurpose an appletv4k with infuse or grab another shield for it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Delzuma posted:

Does the TCL app properly support 4K files (hdr and all, without transcoding)? My main home theater is has always been a shield on my main 4K tv but we are moving into a new house and while I’ll probably be getting a tcl to fill the space in the living room I’m not sure if I’ll need to repurpose an appletv4k with infuse or grab another shield for it.

I have the P607 and watch 4k HDR via Plex all the time, direct play.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

FCKGW posted:

Just in case it helps some people, it seems as if it's for new paying customers. The code worked on my years-old account, but I'd never paid for Plex Pass before.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My friends setup is told to do 1080p 20mbit for remote streaming and this worked fine for ages, but I noticed in my logs now that he’s getting pushed 720p 4mbit content all of a sudden. Can’t see any settings on my side that might be forcing this, anything I can do to get it working again? Maybe a bug in the current server version?

Tautulli log, and his settings screen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

My friends setup is told to do 1080p 20mbit for remote streaming and this worked fine for ages, but I noticed in my logs now that he’s getting pushed 720p 4mbit content all of a sudden. Can’t see any settings on my side that might be forcing this, anything I can do to get it working again? Maybe a bug in the current server version?

Can your friend manually force the quality setting on whatever file he's watching? Or is it capped to 4 Mbps? He can change the quality by bringing up the navigation menu when a file is playing and hitting the control panel looking icon (the 3 lines with the switches).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll have him give that a whirl and see what happens, maybe that’ll kick it back up. I can see in the logs this setting seems to have gotten forced about a week ago, hard to pinpoint when exactly as a lot of my stuff is HEVC so requires a transcode anyway, or sits below 4mbit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shrimpy posted:

Just in case it helps some people, it seems as if it's for new paying customers. The code worked on my years-old account, but I'd never paid for Plex Pass before.

I'm sorry, yes this is for new customers who have never had Plex Pass before. If you've always been on the free tier you can still upgrade for $75.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I have been using Plex pass on a monthly basis and waiting for a discount like this.

As a single user of Plex what would I lose by making a new account to take advantage of the discount?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

cryptoclastic posted:

I have been using Plex pass on a monthly basis and waiting for a discount like this.

As a single user of Plex what would I lose by making a new account to take advantage of the discount?

All your custom metadata, maybe?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I'm sorry, yes this is for new customers who have never had Plex Pass before. If you've always been on the free tier you can still upgrade for $75.

It worked for me, I paid for Plex Pass for two years until recently (cancelled my yearly Pass subscription a couple months ago) and was able to use the code on that same account

Edit: According to the Plex subreddit, this might be a Canada thing. Someone on there suggested using a VPN set to Canada and trying it, at least one person said that worked as well.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 26, 2019

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

is he streaming over the new verizon unlimited plan? that limits you to 4Mbit

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No, looking up the IP that hasn't changed in some time and it traces to a small cable co called Knology / WOW. If they were implementing some kind of limit like that, wouldn't it just force buffering on his end as opposed to it somehow overriding the quality profile?

e: I forget that Plex has an automatic speed/profile thing, maybe that's enabled. I need him to be online the same time I am to try run some tests! Updated Server build again today, but didn't see anything in the changelog that indicates this is an issue with that though.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 26, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Huh, so this is looking to be the issue. How it got set I have no idea... I added plex pass a few weeks ago, is this an option that unlocks with that?

Of course whatever googling I did didn’t bring this up, and I was convinced this option was in the Sharing or Transcoder settings, not the remote access. I shall remember this!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Huh, so this is looking to be the issue. How it got set I have no idea... I added plex pass a few weeks ago, is this an option that unlocks with that?

Of course whatever googling I did didn’t bring this up, and I was convinced this option was in the Sharing or Transcoder settings, not the remote access. I shall remember this!

Yeah, that's a Plex Pass feature. I had already assumed you had a Plex Pass already since I've seen you post in this thread quite a bit over the years and figured that would've been the obvious thing that you checked first lol.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I’ve had PP on and off over the years, I don’t usually make use of the features tbh so never plumped for lifetime. Wanted that Apple TV video engine they use that’s taking ages to make it out of Pass and someone in SA Mart has a cheap 6 month-er. I knew I’d seen that option before, but all my googling returned nothing useful. Ah well, nice to resolve something.

Next to try get everyone on more modern boxes that’ll stream the hevc 1080p stuff without transcoding.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 27, 2019

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Anyone having troubles pulling Movie metadata? I've done the plex dance and even changed agents with no luck. :(

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
If I have to make a new account to use that plex for life discount code can I restore my library to the new account? I've had to restore my library before and it worked fine, just wondering if it works restoring to a different account.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
so Plex will soon have ad supported, free, movies from Warner Brothers.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/08/29/plex-warner-bros-streaming/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Time to start testing Emby again.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Motronic posted:

I've been waiting for a server build for the shield.

Or maybe it's the fork I'm thinking of but can't recall the name

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

oh no not the ability to view outside content

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

I personally feel the UNO UI has fixed a lot of problems I had with Plex. I can easily disable poo poo I don't want to see and I get a straightforward, consistent UI across devices that all my friends and family find easy to use. I'll take it. Hell, it's a semi-miracle it works as well as it does.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

More partnerships mean more reasons to exist as a default app on STBs, so I'm all for it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

Why? The "free ad-supported movies" is a good, and optional thing, not something that would turn anyone away from Plex. It doesn't mean they're adding ads to all of your content! :psyduck:

Qwijib0 posted:

More partnerships mean more reasons to exist as a default app on STBs, so I'm all for it.

Yeah, although one thing I'd like to see is that Roku-style multi-service integration thing, where you connect all your accounts (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) and can do a search for content across all of them at once.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

One step closer to getting to my purchased movies in Plex

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, although one thing I'd like to see is that Roku-style multi-service integration thing, where you connect all your accounts (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) and can do a search for content across all of them at once.

I seem to remember Boxee doing this. Like I remember it showing me seasons of Lost that I had on my server and the ones that were on Hulu or whatever.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How long do you think Big Movie Companies are going to partner with Plex while it is basically the easiest and best way to pirate poo poo that has ever existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RichterIX posted:

How long do you think Big Movie Companies are going to partner with Plex while it is basically the easiest and best way to pirate poo poo that has ever existed

I think that's the worry - Plex wants to legitimize itself and pal up with these companies, how long until they start ringing in some influence. Coming soon, a new version of Plex with Cineavia preinstalled.