Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Could also be toe drag when stepping up and not pivoting, I pivot a lot and usually wear a spot below my big toe and not the front of the sole/Rand area - looks like you drag the inside of your big toe for balance when you step up with the opposite leg which is a really common problem.

Agreed, it could absolutely be that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Could also be toe drag when stepping up and not pivoting, I pivot a lot and usually wear a spot below my big toe and not the front of the sole/Rand area - looks like you drag the inside of your big toe for balance when you step up with the opposite leg which is a really common problem.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll try to see if I do that. I know it happens sometimes when keeping the foot close to the wall is necessary if I don't want to fall off, but I didn't think I did it often enough to be a problem. I'll try to keep an eye on that and see if I do it more often than I think.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Smearing to holds wore out my first pair of shoes in three months. I've had my second pair for the same amount of time and they aren't anywhere near as worn, despite my sessions being longer now. Keep working on technique and your shoes will last longer.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Does anyone here use any collagen supplements? Do they seem to help with recovery? I have a pretty bad diet that I'm not looking to shore up anytime soon and I've heard that collagen goes a long way for athletes with bad nutrition.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 21, 2019

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I take Vital Proteins about 4-5 days a week, especially if I climb. I figure as a middle-aged climber my tendons/joints need all the help they can get. Hard to tell if it really makes a difference or not though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://imgur.com/a/PaUfLlB wasn't sure what angle was best. They look fine to me, except the right shoe (left of the photo) is a bit beat up looking on the toe? But again I don't particularly know what to look for outside of what was said the other day on the topic

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sab669 posted:

https://imgur.com/a/PaUfLlB wasn't sure what angle was best. They look fine to me, except the right shoe (left of the photo) is a bit beat up looking on the toe? But again I don't particularly know what to look for outside of what was said the other day on the topic

That beat up spot is at the seam of two different sections of rubber. You should be fine for a while yet. On the other pair, that seam had crept down until the whole point of the toe was rubber from the upper (rand) part. On yours you can see that the seam still runs straight across horizontally. It'll start to dip down in the highest wear part of the toe, exposing more and more of the rand.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Any advice on recovering from finger injuries, like A2 pulley or what have you? I take a few weeks off at a time and wait for the pain to go away, start off slowly, and inevitably I bust my finger up just as bad on even the mildest crimps. It's not even red or swollen, it just hurts. It is so dang discouraging since I have barely climbed in months :(

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

yeah it's 60$ here for a resole and it would cost me 180$ for a new pair + hating myself because buying a disposable shoe when it's totally possible to resole and reuse for longer doesn't sound super ethical to me

Buy a new pair of nicer, tight shoes when your old ones are sent in for resole–when you get them back the old pair can be for the easy days.

I too am disappointed with the price of climbing shoes–feels like when I started 7 years ago there were more options in the sub-$100 range, and a high end shoe like the LS Solution was usually had for no more than $150. Now I time my outdoor purchases to when the major retailers have their annual 20% off coupons. Gym memberships are expensive enough, why should shoes too?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

armorer posted:

That beat up spot is at the seam of two different sections of rubber. You should be fine for a while yet. On the other pair, that seam had crept down until the whole point of the toe was rubber from the upper (rand) part. On yours you can see that the seam still runs straight across horizontally. It'll start to dip down in the highest wear part of the toe, exposing more and more of the rand.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

Buy a new pair of nicer, tight shoes when your old ones are sent in for resole–when you get them back the old pair can be for the easy days.

I too am disappointed with the price of climbing shoes–feels like when I started 7 years ago there were more options in the sub-$100 range, and a high end shoe like the LS Solution was usually had for no more than $150. Now I time my outdoor purchases to when the major retailers have their annual 20% off coupons. Gym memberships are expensive enough, why should shoes too?

I linked a study/report several pages ago (I think from American alpine club) where they found people spend more on climbing today than they did before, but basically all of the increase can be attributed to climbing gear having gotten more expensive.

I agree it’s ludicrous.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Tippecanoe posted:

Any advice on recovering from finger injuries, like A2 pulley or what have you? I take a few weeks off at a time and wait for the pain to go away, start off slowly, and inevitably I bust my finger up just as bad on even the mildest crimps. It's not even red or swollen, it just hurts. It is so dang discouraging since I have barely climbed in months :(

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/experience-story?cid=esther-smith-nagging-finger-injuries

This is pretty comprehensive. I lack the discipline to follow a rehab regimine so I tape up problem fingers and stick to pinch and sloper problems until things stop hurting.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
Low intensity load hanging (40-60% max weight) has also shown to help recover fingers faster, and can also inhibit pain for 45-60 minutes after. So 6 sets of 60% hangs on an edge before training then monitoring your effort level on the wall is a decent protocol

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I have definitely noticed a marked improvement in the quality of a niggling finger injury since I started doing low intensity hangs though I'm doing it in a very poorly monitored way (I'm doing sets off the underside of the stairs at work while I'm on break, it does seem to be helping!)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

When I get pulley injuries, I continue to climb regularly, except I avoid underhang problems. I've had two pulley injuries and got over both of them in about a month that way.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

BlancoNino posted:

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/experience-story?cid=esther-smith-nagging-finger-injuries

This is pretty comprehensive. I lack the discipline to follow a rehab regimine so I tape up problem fingers and stick to pinch and sloper problems until things stop hurting.

Ive used this recovery plan for pulley injuries in the past, it's a good approach.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

This red on the comp wall will be taken down on Friday, but the downward dyno would be an illegal set in a competition, right?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1okt2rJ_ah/?igshid=1hg9liiemsa5z

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
Yes, any sort of downward jump is illegal. I believe this is mostly designed to prevent shoulder injuries when catching yourself with your hands, but it's illegal in the IFSC rules regardless.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Son of Discovery

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do you guys use any sort of products on your hands after climbing? I normally don't, but I was given a container of this stuff the other day. Put some on last night, I liked the smell but $15 for a 2oz tin is dumb. It seemed no different than using just regular moisturizer, if one were so inclined. Seems like it's just ~~all natural~~

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Popular Utah rock-climbing spot [Castleton Tower] vibrates in time with earth, wind, and waves

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Do you guys use any sort of products on your hands after climbing? I normally don't, but I was given a container of this stuff the other day. Put some on last night, I liked the smell but $15 for a 2oz tin is dumb. It seemed no different than using just regular moisturizer, if one were so inclined. Seems like it's just ~~all natural~~

It's not regular moisturizer, but it's definitely no more special than say burt's beeswax or other anti-bacterial beeswax based stuff. I use rhino skin because I started having a bunch of skin issues and it's definitely helping, but I'm sure I could get similar results out of a cheaper product, this was just easier and I know it's worked for a bunch of people. Skin definitely becomes a limiting a factor in a lot of climbing, but if it isn't for you I wouldn't worry about it. Their equivalent to that tin is called "split" and it's $12 for 2.5 oz, and their website doesn't go nearly as hard on the "all natural essentials oil" crap that the one you linked or stuff like climbon does, which I'm not a fan of.

It's worth noting that 2 oz is actually a loving ton in practice, at least it was for climbOn bars when I used them.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Buy Jtree climbing salve or whatever it's called. I've had the same little thing for almost two years.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
I just use gold bond moisturizer when my hands are feeling extra dry

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I bought some beeswax and some shea butter and just make my own for stupid cheap.

Before I used O'Keefe working hand which is amazing for easy to find commercial stuff

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i use like, regular-rear end unscented hand lotion after gym climbing which is out of the ordinary for me, but chalk & relatively high friction holds tend to dry out my hands even more

i also keep a climbon bar in my crag pack and that seems to work pretty well on the rare occasion i use it

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

I bought some beeswax and some shea butter and just make my own for stupid cheap.

Before I used O'Keefe working hand which is amazing for easy to find commercial stuff

Yep, this is the way. I make lotion bars that are 1:1:1 Shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax melted down into cupcake tins. Heals the poo poo oh my hands from the antibacterial soap at work, too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

KingColliwog posted:

O'Keefe's is definitely the lazy poor man's choice.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDIV81zVLGQ

After watching myself, I think I just need to get my legs up higher and then bump to the left and top out, but... I'd love some beta/feedback. I've been able to get to this point for like 2 weeks now and I just can't figure it out :argh:

e; also if it's not apparent in the video,

it's super overhung

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 30, 2019

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sab669 posted:

After watching myself, I think I just need to get my legs up higher and then bump to the left and top out, but... I'd love some beta/feedback. I've been able to get to this point for like 2 weeks now and I just can't figure it out :argh:

Definitely looks like you're supposed to bump. Put your right foot where your left was when you tried to cross, bump, then higher right foot and finish.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Sab669 posted:

e; also if it's not apparent in the video,

it's super overhung

Higher left foot, drop knee, bump looks like the sequence

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
It looks like there’s a hold slightly higher than the one that you put your right foot on, could you use that to get higher?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Overall it looks like you still need to work on generating movement from your lower body/hips. You climb pretty square, which isn’t bad in itself, but on this climb it looks like there are a lot of opportunities to turn your hip into the wall and flag your opposite foot out. This will generate movement, extend your reach, and reduce load on you arms/fingers.

Or if you want to keep climbing square, you can still generate movement by shifting you center of gravity and turning out your hip in the same direction. Point is, you don’t want to just place your feet and then ignore your lower body, you want to place your feet and engage with your hips. A lot of times this means having only one foot on a hold and flagging the other for optimal balance and tension.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
We’re going to be in BC in September, and we were thinking of doing a day of bouldering in Squamish. Does anyone have any good resources for highlights probably up to, being realistic, V5? Is it possible to take any of the shuttles to the bouldering areas, or will we need a car? Is there any one area with a good concentration of problems, or will we need to hop around to hit the best stuff?

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
I mean if you just went for it you’d get it. You’re nowhere near full extension

I mean poo poo - skip the hold and go for the top. Otherwise just bump your right foot and smear the left and bump the left hand

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 31, 2019

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Take weeks off to rehab a shoulder injury. Come back for the first time, feeling good, sailing through a V5, last move gently caress up my other shoulder. :smith:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Happens.

I tweaked my left ACL playing ultimate, and waited two weeks. Eased into climbing the last week and during a really simply tiny drop knee, I heard a pop and now my ACL/knee is killing me again. :(

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

gamera009 posted:

Happens.

I tweaked my left ACL playing ultimate, and waited two weeks. Eased into climbing the last week and during a really simply tiny drop knee, I heard a pop and now my ACL/knee is killing me again. :(

Two weeks is inadequate for a ligament sprain, speaking as an after-market ACL haver.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

Take weeks off to rehab a shoulder injury. Come back for the first time, feeling good, sailing through a V5, last move gently caress up my other shoulder. :smith:
When I hurt both sides I like to think of it as symmetry :toot:

(I sprained both MCLs in different sports)

remote control carnivore posted:

Two weeks is inadequate for a ligament sprain, speaking as an after-market ACL haver.
Yeahhh that seems really quick. Unfortunately you found out there’s no such thing as a really simple tiny drop knee when you have hosed up knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, unfortunate but I'll manage.

On the plus side got a pair of Futuras from REI for just over $100 after the sale discount and my dividend.