Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

They couldn't custom build a P8 for y'all?

A 737 probably isn't a good platform for hurricane hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
That impressive, thanks for the pictures.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Wonder Free posted:

It’s because it’s based on a passenger airliner from the 50’s. Also the P-3 was originally for ASW, hence the big windows for looking for subs. The P-3 started testing in the late 50’s and most Navy ones were built in the 60’s and 70’s. Ours were custom built in the late 70’s.

Are there any plans to replace the P-3s? Offhand I can't think of any modern turboprop equivalent. Dash-8, maybe, but those are only kind of in production still.

And of course thanks for sharing your amazing job with us.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Are there any plans to replace the P-3s? Offhand I can't think of any modern turboprop equivalent. Dash-8, maybe, but those are only kind of in production still.

Maybe that Japanese flying boat? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShinMaywa_US-2

The boring answer is they'd get some "lightly used" WC-130s.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Oh the Dash-8 is still in production. It’s the Dash-7 that went to the great STOLport in the sky.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
Wouldn’t use a P-8 for hurricanes. We had a discussion about props vs jets a little bit ago here but basically we would probably lose engines very quickly.

Ours just got new wings, so the new end of life is supposed to be 2030. Most likely it’ll be a 4 engine turboprop again, so it’s basically C-130 or A400. The Airbus is probably overkill and would be hard to get with the Buy America Act probably. Biggest hangup with a C-130 is that all the extra radars we have on the P-3 can’t go on a C-130 without a complete redesign of the airframe. There is an established need to keep employing our radars since they seem to be the future of data collection in the storm. The tornado guys also like them (we were in Kansas earlier this year).

NOAA Corps is kind of weird but I like it a lot more than the Navy. It feels almost like halfway between civilian and military, and I’m probably responsible for what someone the next rank down in the Navy would be doing. We fly with and are supported by mostly GS employees. Conversely, nobody messes with you like the Navy, and it’s more egalitarian and casual as well. Also we promote a lot faster so that’s not bad. Overall much better than my Navy experience.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Maybe that Japanese flying boat? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShinMaywa_US-2

The boring answer is they'd get some "lightly used" WC-130s.

Maybe im missing something but i would have thought a flying boat perfect for this kind of thing because of the additional survivability if anything happened? Coast out of the storm if ppssible and land on the water? Youd still be in storm tossed seas so not a great chance but slightly better?

Edit: did we not use any because we havent built any big ones since the PBYs went away?

Stravag fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 29, 2019

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wonder Free posted:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It was a strong CAT 1 with a concentric (double) eye wall. You can see the two circles on the radar.

The inside one was like 5 miles in diameter so it looked like crap and we couldn’t maneuver in there. The outer one was okay though.

Eventually the inner one will go away as it strengthens. I guess it might be a CAT 4 before it hits land now?

You rule. Thanks for sharing your stories. Weather's always been really awesome and it's been an absolute shame to watch what's been happening to it.

quote:

Accuweather talk
I made something that displayed some local weather information a while ago, and it was extremely depressing how something so vital is locked behind paywall bullshit - and when it isn't, it's inaccurate as hell.

Accuweather can go off a cliff.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Stravag posted:

Maybe im missing something but i would have thought a flying boat perfect for this kind of thing because of the additional survivability if anything happened? Coast out of the storm if ppssible and land on the water? Youd still be in storm tossed seas so not a great chance but slightly better?

Edit: did we not use any because we havent built any big ones since the PBYs went away?

You wouldn’t be able to push out of the crosswind without engines, and it’s probably super high drag as well. You also can’t land or ditch safely in the sea states that we see near storms.

I will admit I was kind of disappointed we don’t do anything with float planes. We have a lot of marine mammal survey stuff on our light aircraft that could be cool for. Our primary light aircraft is a DHC-6 Twin Otter, which even has a float plane variant.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zamujasa posted:

You rule. Thanks for sharing your stories. Weather's always been really awesome and it's been an absolute shame to watch what's been happening to it.

I made something that displayed some local weather information a while ago, and it was extremely depressing how something so vital is locked behind paywall bullshit - and when it isn't, it's inaccurate as hell.

Accuweather can go off a cliff.

My google-fu is failing me but I read a few articles about the shithead behind AccuWeather and how he wants to basically outlaw government weather data collection being open to the public and monopolize it for himself or some poo poo. It was very much in the same vein as the Nestle guy saying water isn't a human right and he should be able to buy it all.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Joining the “your job rules” chorus

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

bird food bathtub posted:

My google-fu is failing me but I read a few articles about the shithead behind AccuWeather and how he wants to basically outlaw government weather data collection being open to the public and monopolize it for himself or some poo poo. It was very much in the same vein as the Nestle guy saying water isn't a human right and he should be able to buy it all.

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/01/7-year-old-attack-on-weather-service-could-cloud-santorums-campaign-071129
https://www.pogo.org/investigation/2018/12/washington-sherpas/

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wonder Free posted:

You wouldn’t be able to push out of the crosswind without engines, and it’s probably super high drag as well. You also can’t land or ditch safely in the sea states that we see near storms.

Thats kibda what i thought but i figured id ask incase other people knew

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing! My uncle was an NFO on the weather recon version of the EC-121 in the 70's and did a similar hurricane hunting thing. It sounded like a really cool gig.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wonder Free posted:

Wouldn’t use a P-8 for hurricanes. We had a discussion about props vs jets a little bit ago here but basically we would probably lose engines very quickly.

I was a black shoe shipboard guy so did not realize that the P-8 was that different. Thanks again for the pictures

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wonder Free posted:

NOAA Corps is kind of weird but I like it a lot more than the Navy. It feels almost like halfway between civilian and military, and I’m probably responsible for what someone the next rank down in the Navy would be doing. We fly with and are supported by mostly GS employees. Conversely, nobody messes with you like the Navy, and it’s more egalitarian and casual as well. Also we promote a lot faster so that’s not bad. Overall much better than my Navy experience.

It sounds like the military but actually doing something good for humanity, if I were 5-10 years younger and not somewhat physically broken this actually sounds appealing. I'd have to imagine there is some role at NOAA for geographers/GIS or related stuff?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I interviewed for NOAA Corps a few years ago, and that was something they were definitely looking for. Boat/ship experience, dive experience, and GIS stuff seemed like their top criteria (outside of leadership experience, of course). That was in mid-2016, so it may have changed a bit since.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I mean doing OCS or whatever at 36 (assuming that's not past their max age limit) sounds like it sucks, but doing it as a civilian GS employee would be great.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
NOAA sounds kind of like USPHS. Take a component of the services (medical core, flying/meteorology) and strip out almost all the military part of it and put them in a dedicated agency.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s more or less exactly what it is. There are 7 uniformed services, but only 5 military; NOAA and the Public Health Corps round out the last 2.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Flying_Crab posted:

I imagine it has to be better than the rest of the military.

Except during a government shutdown.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Every single Bernie Sanders Facebook post for the past few months has had some dude shouting in Russian as the top comment. When you go to read it or do anything with it though, it's not there. What the heck is going on with this?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nick Soapdish posted:

They couldn't custom build a P8 for y'all?

Buddy they can't even find P8s to do actual P8 poo poo.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
How come Obama never got more credit for his work in housing homeless Veterans?

https://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/hud-reports-drop-to-37-878-homeless-veterans-in-2018-1.554650

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SimonCat posted:

https://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/hud-reports-drop-to-37-878-homeless-veterans-in-2018-1.554650

11 potential homeless kept off the streets:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.w...foutputType=amp

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

SimonCat posted:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

SimonCat posted:

The (according to pepple i worked with in nashville) america hating kenyan terrorist fascist communist who wasnt a valid president and took every opportunity to direspect are trupes with a latte he could? No idea

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Flying_Crab posted:

I mean doing OCS or whatever at 36 (assuming that's not past their max age limit) sounds like it sucks, but doing it as a civilian GS employee would be great.

All the prior enlisted I saw at OCS spent every second not in class sitting around the bbq pits drinking beer and waving at the rest of us. I, some kid off the street and fresh out of college, had no idea how they weren't staying up until 3 AM trying to figure this poo poo out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

look I ain't about to start believing in prayer but uh drat

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The really fun thing is that the fact check, aside from drawing an insane conclusion, was also itself wrong:

https://twitter.com/GunnelsWarren/status/1167105760750383110?s=20

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FAUXTON posted:

look I ain't about to start believing in prayer but uh drat

oh poo poo

thats going full steam ahead for landfall. not planning on going up the coast at all

the storm surges must be fuckin crazy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh poo poo

thats going full steam ahead for landfall. not planning on going up the coast at all

the storm surges must be fuckin crazy

Yeah if you are north of this thing get the gently caress out

If you are south of it strongly consider also getting the gently caress out, that whole area of the coast built loving high rise retirement condos on goddamn sandbars and if it hits they're gonna get it real bad. It's worth pointing out that Isabel straight up erased part of Hatteras island and the ACE had to raise it from the deep over the course of months during which time people had to take a ferry to get to school/work/basically anything.

E: they also built multi-million dollar mansions

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 30, 2019

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Flying_Crab posted:

NOAA absorbed the US Coast and Geodetic Survey agency in 1970. We now have a lot of hydrography and coastal survey ships, as well as coastal survey aircraft. Usually we deploy one or two of our light aircraft after a hurricane to do survey work. Special cameras basically take a before and after shot, and they also will map the new coastline that the hurricane just rearranged. All of our aviation (and all of the NOAA Corps) falls under the Office of Marine and Aviation Operations, but we basically contract out to the line offices to collect data. In this case it is Remote Sensing Division, part of the National Geodetic Survey line office.

https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/RSD/rsd_home.shtml

RSD would be your best bet for aviation related stuff, but NGS I’m sure would love a GIS experienced civilian as well. Those branches are all GS.

I’m not sure of our OCS age limit, we do have some really old people. It is done with the Coast Guard OCS and then they tack some extra stuff on at the end. You are likely to go to a ship if you do this, possibly even with significant aviation experience. The majority of NOAA Corps officers are ship guys.

About to head in for another flight, you can follow the plane do stupid stuff on here.

https://airbornescience.nasa.gov/tracker/#!/map?callsign=NOAA42&mapid=Dark%20Gray&zoom=10&lat=27.9859&lng=-82.0176

Wonder Free fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 30, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RIP the Bahamas if this scenario pans out

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Where's Mar-a-lago at? I will worship whatever deity is responsible for wiping out that fat gently caress's funhouse.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bird food bathtub posted:

Where's Mar-a-lago at? I will worship whatever deity is responsible for wiping out that fat gently caress's funhouse.

15.22 miles south of the current forecast point of landfall.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 30, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s a 22 miles south of Jupiter, where the hurricane is currently expected to make landfall :laffo:

e: I did driving distance, straight line is probably what ^ said.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It should also be noted that models have fairly good agreement on landfall being south of maralago, which puts it on the mean side of the storm.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That's pretty cool. Since I'm apparently worshipping something now, anything that really wants to cement my loyalty can also wipe out whatever resort that poo poo head spent all of G7 running an infomercial on between shilling for Daddy Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Wonder Free posted:

About to head in for another flight, you can follow the plane do stupid stuff on here.

https://airbornescience.nasa.gov/tracker/#!/map?callsign=NOAA42&mapid=Dark%20Gray&zoom=10&lat=27.9859&lng=-82.0176

And the stupid stuff has started. I gotta say, the government's done a lot of things to me, but it never officially gave me a swirlie like it's doing to Wonder Free.