Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The meme thread's very own Bible verse is Phillipians 3:8, "I count all things as Loss."

sebmojo posted:

i was swimming with my family at a beach in my home town and there was a sort of inception BWAAARRRPPP in my head as I saw a gigantic orca just sort of slide out of the water about fifteen metres away.

Cool! I thought it was just me that got the BWAARP. Generally from spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

You can't tap me! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

spiny posted:

The owners manual of my old Subaru had a specific warning about doing that, so it's apparently common enough to require a paragraph in the handbook.

There was even a Sopranos episode where the kid burns down his new Nissan SUV on a pile of dry leaves. One would think that would engrave it in the public consciousness.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Solice Kirsk posted:

Don't worry, I got you:

Magnificent. Doing God's work.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whooping Crabs posted:

Are you telling me that they are no longer making Wyvern, Netrunner, Star Trek, Star Wars, or the X-files ccgs? What am I going to do with all of these "collectors items"?

Netrunner and the og Star Wars game were alright

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

Netrunner and the og Star Wars game were alright

:lol:

I never played Netrunner so I can't speak for it, but the OG Star Wars CCG was virtually unplayable. It had some interesting concepts, but none of it could possibly work for a a CCG.

First off, your cards are divited 50/50 into light side and dark side, you can't mix and match them either as both of them have a different card back.

Next, you have to put down a location. The locations are keyed to planets, so it's not a big deal if everyone brought nothing but Tattooine, but everything was random, so it's likely someone else put down somewhere on the Death Star or Yavin IV, but we'll come back to this.

Now you have to have a character. Characters are a dime a dozen if you don't care that it's "Corellian" or "X2 Droid." If you want them to actually be able to do some real fighting, you'll need a weapon to attach to the character. Some charecter cards had limits of what you could play between 1 and 3. Named characters like "Bo Shek" were limited to one, but rare aliens like a Talz was three.

At this point if the stars were aligned correctly, or your friend wasn't lovely, you can possibly play by having your guys shoot at the other guys. Most of the time the stars weren't aligned and I played with my brother (who was lovely).

And here we are back at locations. If you wanted to move to a second location you needed a vehicle. You just pile your guys into the land speeder and move from the Cantina to the Moisture Farm, EZ PZ. The problem arises now if you have to move between planets. In order to leave Tattooine, you first have to have a space craft (not a capital ship, those had to stay in orbit), and the card for Tattooine. Now you have one character (two if one is an astromech droid) in orbit, and you want to fly to the Death Star where the other guy's guys are, that's fine but it requires the Death Star card.

On top of all that conditional poo poo, there were a ton of cards that required other rare cards. Congratulations, you've got Han's Blaster! Of course you can't use it unless you have Han Solo, which is a rare card. There were a bunch of other cards like that required one of the main characters (all of which were rare), so you essentially had a pile of chaff you'd never use.

That doesn't even get into actually having a battle which was really confusing and by that point we'd just give up and play Magic or Mario Kart.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Oh man I'm getting flashbacks of Middle Earth: The Wizards lol. What a poo poo show that game was.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Of the original run of "we want in on this too!" CCGs, I really liked Vampire: The Eternal Struggle, Netrunner, Illuminati, and Doomtrooper.

Apparently Vampire is even kind of back in print. It had some really interesting win conditions, but IIRC individual games could take an hour.

http://www.vekn.net/

It's funny how many of these were also designed by Richard Garfield. I didn't see it at the time but my buddy has a bunch of Battletech CCG cards that look awesome.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Aug 30, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DandyLion posted:

Magnificent. Doing God's work.

Nah.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Aug 30, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

But what's that behind the whale?

Oh no. You maniacs!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

I never played Netrunner so I can't speak for it, but the OG Star Wars CCG was virtually unplayable. It had some interesting concepts, but none of it could possibly work for a a CCG.

Netrunner was fantastic. It was brought back as a Living Card Game (no random packs, you just buy playsets of cards every month), but was plagued by balance issues that I think were eventually worked out just in time for Wizards of the Coast to demand their license back for them to do absolutely nothing with.

Star Wars was fun to play for the flavor, and since they only had three movies to work with, random background characters were cropped out and made into cards. It also has one of my favorite bad game design stories, about Operative cards. They contributed to an unbeatable deck, and tournament organizers didn't really deal with them well. Read it here for the funny picture (in your head) of nerds throwing a chair over a card game.

shut up nerd, post funny pictures in the funny pictures thread
:goonsay:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

marshmallow creep posted:

This sounds like he is in the prowl for BBW mermaids.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they should have also got Divine to do the voice, instead of just stealing they're look

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I took care of that one prick:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

gbut posted:

There was even a Sopranos episode where the kid burns down his new Nissan SUV on a pile of dry leaves. One would think that would engrave it in the public consciousness.

"Hazard: Do not burn down mob boss's car" ?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

gbut posted:

This stupid idiot cop sped at 142 MPH and weaved dangerously through traffic so he could pull over a speeder. Karma caught up to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9feVp0RZvQ

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But if he didn't do that then someone who broke the law would have gotten away! And now they can tack the destruction of the car onto the speeders charges.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

But if he didn't do that then someone who broke the law would have gotten away! And now they can tack the destruction of the car onto the speeders charges.

That's pretty much what they do right? Like if the cop ran someone over while in pursuit they would charge the speeder?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

nerdz posted:

That's pretty much what they do right? Like if the cop ran someone over while in pursuit they would charge the speeder?

6 and 1/2 dozen. Sometimes they do, but the other half they just forget about it and go get doughnuts since who likes filling out paperwork when you're above the law anyways.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

spiny posted:

It's not an overheating issue as such, it's that they presumably ranted the tits off it to the point the exhaust/cat got really hot, then parked on top of some nice dry flammable long grass.

The owners manual of my old Subaru had a specific warning about doing that, so it's apparently common enough to require a paragraph in the handbook.

Don't just roll up on people and argue facts when they're enjoying another reason to call BMWs poo poo cars for poo poo people. We're having a good time here. You probably brought your own $12 6-pack and hid it in the back of the fridge again, didn't you? This is why you don't get invited to anything, Colin.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nerdz posted:

Generally depends on how much they want to slap you with additional charges. Theoretically you can be charged for any damage or injuries that indirectly occur as a result of your crime even if you didn't do it yourself. There was an incident in NYC years ago where a crazy guy having a breakdown near Times Square put his hand in his pocket, so two cops whipped out their guns and tried to shoot him. They missed and instead accidentally shot two women, so they charged the (unarmed) man with their injuries.

In the case of the speeding cop, he just waved the guy off and told him to leave while he dealt with his self-induced immolation.

FistOfTacitus
Oct 21, 2009

DandyLion posted:

6 and 1/2 dozen. Sometimes they do, but the other half they just forget about it and go get doughnuts since who likes filling out paperwork when you're above the law anyways.

Most states have both felony murder and the less elegantly titled misdemeanor manslaughter rules, under which you sure can get charged with killing someone if the victim dies during the commission of a crime, even if they get shot by mistake or run over by cops or similar. The rational is that, but for your crime, the vic wouldn't have died. The distinction is usually whether or not the underlying crime is inherently violent, so the classic felony murder is an accomplice getting shot by a storekeeper during a robbery. That's a murder charge in most jurisdictions, for whichever other defendants were involved. A death that occurred during pursuit of a speeding car would probably get charged as manslaughter, since usually speeding isn't on the list of intrinsically dangerous felonies, but I would expect that a DA would charge it as felony murder and expect to plea down to manslaughter.

As always, charges are gonna be more severe the further you are from being a white male.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Clitch posted:

Don't just roll up on people and argue facts when they're enjoying another reason to call BMWs poo poo cars for poo poo people.

https://twitter.com/CNNBusiness/status/1166694444537696257?s=20

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This seems hilariously unsafe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Now we just need Stuart Semple to make a PINK car.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Vanta black is amazing. And insanely expensive. Also dust isnt black so that will be a showpiece that never practically works and will only look right freshly cleaned

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But just think of all the smooth clean lines you won't be able to see!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Vanta black is amazing. And insanely expensive. Also dust isnt black so that will be a showpiece that never practically works and will only look right freshly cleaned

If you're rich enough to buy it, you're rich enough to have Enrique scrub it down after every drive.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have a sneaking suspicion that, like those matte black finishes, vantablack cannot be "cleaned" as such.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Moon Slayer posted:

If you're rich enough to buy it, you're rich enough to have Enrique scrub it down after every drive.

Keeping a car clean is a chore. Keeping a black car clean is a career

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Data Graham posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that, like those matte black finishes, vantablack cannot be "cleaned" as such.

I was under the impression that even touching it would ruin it irreversibly, or maybe that was for one of those other ultrablack coatings.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

canyoneer posted:

Keeping a car clean is a chore. Keeping a black car clean is a career

I think as others have intimated if you're rich enough to afford a vantablack paintjob your probably rich enough to hire a washing crew to wait at every intersection/stoplight for you to do the needful. Not that big a deal really.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Cars like that have signed engines by the engineers that hand assemble them. Cars like that get shipped to exotic places solely for the purpose of having plates from those places. Cars like that get sold to celebrities first so the second real buyer can name drop the first owner.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Inceltown posted:

Since the schadenfreude thread got cancelled you can have this. It's a $200,000 BMW police car that was stopped on long dry grass after a high speed pursuit.

Fuckin’ AJ, I TOLD him about the grass.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

DandyLion posted:

I think as others have intimated if you're rich enough to afford a vantablack paintjob your probably rich enough to hire a washing crew to wait at every intersection/stoplight for you to do the needful. Not that big a deal really.

Heck, we have that in Baltimore as a public service.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I was under the impression that even touching it would ruin it irreversibly, or maybe that was for one of those other ultrablack coatings.

Exactly. I'm imagining a giant vaccum sealed glass case for it

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

DandyLion posted:

If you are rich enough to afford a vantablack paint job, you are rich enough for a trip to the guillotine.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Johnny Aztec posted:

If you are rich enough to afford a vantablack paint job, you are rich enough for a trip to the guillotine.

But is the guillotine painted with vantablack?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Segmentation Fox posted:

But is the guillotine painted with vantablack?

The blade so you cant see it coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Doesn't vantablack absorb so much light that it gets super hot? That cars going to catch on fire if it ever goes outside.