Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Krazyface posted:

How do people determine first-player in games without a set system? My group does Random Numbers: everyone says a number at the same time, duplicates are eliminated, and then second-lowest wins. You can say any whole positive number, although since you want to be second-lowest, the winner is usually sub-100. There's a bit of honesty required (since it's hard to hear when everyone speaks at once), but it's a good system.

That phone app or someone taking a piece from each player and shaking them in their hands and letting one drop out.

Personally I prefer if the rule teacher goes first unless it's a game everyone is familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I sometimes volunteer to go last as rules teacher (i.e. person with an advantage, sorta).

The other 99% of the time we do "Fingers! 3, 2, 1...". Everyone raises a number of fingers, I count them up and the remainder when divided by # of players determines who starts.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Dancer posted:

I sometimes volunteer to go last as rules teacher (i.e. person with an advantage, sorta).

The other 99% of the time we do "Fingers! 3, 2, 1...". Everyone raises a number of fingers, I count them up and the remainder when divided by # of players determines who starts.

This is what we do, except sometimes the rules guy goes first so everyone can see a real turn play out (again)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

if it's a game with faction pieces we take one identical piece from each player and randomly pull one, usually by shaking them in someone's hands like dice and dropping one on the table, and tada.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Modulo is the fastest and preferred method, but I’ve had people who insisted on taking an extra minute to pull out the Schwazi app

If there’s pieces, especially if it’s not clockwise, I just shake the pieces and determine player order that way.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

What’s wrong with Glen More? I thought it’s pretty cool.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Start player - dice (single roll, or 1-2 rolls such as getting a player from 4 with a d6), or chwazi as people enjoy it, or choice of player pieces (whose piece is in my right hand?). If players need ordering, probably drop the pieces, or use dice.

Kiranamos posted:

To determine a start player? You madman!

I think some people just don't like the leap-ahead/snooze balance.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Roll a die using Google Home since it can roll three sided dice 🙂

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kiranamos posted:

Some people like it!

I do not. The time aspect just doesn't work for me for some reason. I've played it two or three times now and just not enjoyed it. And given that h&a and auztralia both use similar time mechanics and I disliked them in similar ways, I think it's the mechanic and my taste, nothing else.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Clearclaw modulus as God intended.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
clans of caledonia: honestly pretty good. i think it's worth a second look if you dismissed it for kickstarter hype.

gloomhaven: still the king of dungeon crawlers.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

al-azad posted:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Paper-scissors-stone or go paper-scissors-home.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Krazyface posted:

Last week I tried out Inis with the Seasons expansion, and five players. Still early days, but it seems pretty good. The seasons mechanic does some neat things to round the game out, like Summer giving every player easy access to movement and fights, and Autumn functioning like a harvest, letting people trade their bad red cards for more clans. The map wound up being enormous; Exploration was played at least once per round, and there's a couple of new red cards that also add tiles. The five-player action cards are pretty decent. I don't think anyone actually used Coalition for its intended purpose, but it's easy to imagine a situation where you could. I initially dismissed Fili as a marginal upgrade over Festival, but it's actually really powerful: you can use it on a space (such as the capital, with three sanctuaries in it), and then march in without getting killed in the ensuing clash.

Ah thats good to hear because I love Inis but our regular numbers usually make it hard to play.

On that topic Quacks with the Hedge Witch expansion is good and works well for 5 players.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

al-azad posted:

How do you work out who gets which modulus??

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Impermanent posted:

clans of caledonia: honestly pretty good. i think it's worth a second look if you dismissed it for kickstarter hype.

I like it, you have to be aware of how end game scoring works. It's a bit fiddly with a lot of moving parts like a lot of kickstarters.

It's worth a shot on boardgamearena to see I think.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

All this turn order chat has made realise that I haven't even had to go through that process because its 99% wargames and thats usually taken out of your hands.

In not-wargames I hate going first. I vastly prefer going last, or late in the turn order. I've never really thought about it before, or can explain why that is lol thanks thread!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Turn order determination chat reminds me that boardgamers are likely have a ranking of favorite colors off the top of their head because of which pieces they play. For instance:

Purple
Green
Red
Pink
Orange
Brown
Grey
Black
White
Natural (wood)
Yellow
Blue

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Fellis posted:

Turn order determination chat reminds me that boardgamers are likely have a ranking of favorite colors off the top of their head because of which pieces they play. For instance:

Purple
Green
Red
Pink
Orange
Brown
Grey
Black
White
Natural (wood)
Yellow
Blue
I just choose the colour with the best contrast against others

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

green, always and forever

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

here is the colour ranking:

god tier: green

big gap

mid tier: every other colour

poo poo tier: yellow

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pink and purple
Black
White
Everything else

Red is weirdly higher despite me not caring because my wife always plays red so it's fun to play it when she's not in the game.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Whats more important token color or the character art associated with it? I normally main green but then when looking at the characters of Celestia

I decided maybe I'd go with purple for this game.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Green character art hitting too close to home?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Jabor posted:

Green character art hitting too close to home?

That's clearly Rutibex

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
BLUE.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Stephenson’s rocket pastel pink is the best, but uncommon, followed by purple, followed by Agra’s neon yellow, followed by orange.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yellow, purple, pink, white, and then idgaf.

Being blue messes me up because one of my friends must always have blue, so I've internalized "blue = him" as much as "yellow = me"

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Kiranamos posted:

Depending on how people play, they may end up with lots of down time. I play with lots of "efficient" gamers. If your turn is too long (over 20 seconds) some of them get grumpy. I agree that you shouldn't ignore the board state until its your turn, but I may not be able to play my whole turn in 3-5 seconds.

I really do get exhausted by people that want to play a game as fast as possible and as many games as possible. Provided its not straight up AP, why aren't people allowed to play at a relaxed pace?

I like Glen More, but I used to play with a very chill group that could converse and enjoy themselves between turns and wouldn't get up and walk to other tables to see whats going on when they didn't have a turn for 2-3 minutes because they launched their meeple to the front of the pack.

Glen More is a good, but not great game that I still enjoy. (I have no clue about Glen More II)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I default to blue, but if there's a purple in the game, I will switch to whichever color is furthest from any other, to reduce the chances my colorblindness impacts the pieces.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah sometimes people do rush too much in games but on the other hand I do have one friend who, I love him to death, but I've seen him take nearly a full minute to deliberate in Camel Up and it's like my dude this game isn't that fuckin complicated make a move please.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I am red forever. Don't touch my color or I will cut you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bobvonunheil posted:

Put numbers under the seat prior to game night, have a third party blindly rearrange them prior to playing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Glagha posted:

Yeah sometimes people do rush too much in games but on the other hand I do have one friend who, I love him to death, but I've seen him take nearly a full minute to deliberate in Camel Up and it's like my dude this game isn't that fuckin complicated make a move please.

Odds on leg bets can be a bit tough for some. It's meant to be a light fun game though, not a minimaxing exercise.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bobvonunheil posted:

Downstream from the Alpha (i. e. the person doing the counting i. e. me)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am that one guy who isn't extremely competitive, and I don't mind taking whatever color happens to be left. :shrug:

In practice this means I'm usually, like, yellow, and I've started to prefer it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I prefer to take red in both game pieces and candies.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Someone help me think of good games older than like 4 years old worth roughly $60 USD. I am trying to trade Mare Nostrum Empires + Atlas, but my wants are too selective even before sending out messages on BGG.

Alternatively, if someone here wants it, let's work out something.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

I am red forever. Don't touch my color or I will cut you.

I'm Team Yellow (the wise, intellectual choice) or Purple (regal, of course).

Decades of games have conditioned me to think of Red as the enemy and in my experience, Red preferers are the most aggressive (see quoted comment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Someone help me think of good games older than like 4 years old worth roughly $60 USD. I am trying to trade Mare Nostrum Empires + Atlas, but my wants are too selective even before sending out messages on BGG.

Alternatively, if someone here wants it, let's work out something.

Games which total $60 or $60 each?

Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Cyclades
Isle of Skye
Lewis and Clark

?

They're all good and 4 years or so old I think.