Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So I'm getting just unplayable Desync most of the time. I've had a few OK games, but just now I got trapped in a house, couldn't open doors or break windows before realizing it was just desync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I reinstalled this on a whim and it feels categorically worse than when I played the beta a year ago. Used to have tense shootouts with six shooters and other old timey weapons. Seeing weird chaingun handguns and stuff is an enormous turn off

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Also the UI.. what the gently caress

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

I reinstalled this on a whim and it feels categorically worse than when I played the beta a year ago. Used to have tense shootouts with six shooters and other old timey weapons. Seeing weird chaingun handguns and stuff is an enormous turn off

I only ever played the alpha of this game and the chain pistol existed way back then. You can find guides from February 2018 mentioning it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I know, I hadn't encountered it before and found it lame.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
The game has always had some weird weapons, with more being added later in development but I don't think it was ever an old timey shootout at the OK Corral game.

I haven't had a problem with any of the changed mechanics so far. The UI is certainly a turd but I haven't noticed the same gameplay issues others report.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm conflicted on this update. Setting aside the horrible menus, the actual in-game stuff I think is mostly improved. I'm conflicted about the weapon sway. I agree that its changed how gunfights work now to an extent, and I've definitely been on the receiving end of some bullshit kills, but on the flipside I've been able to get way more kills myself since the update.

Also I just unlocked the Lebel Marksman and holy poo poo I've been waiting a year for this. The Deadeye scope is largely not enough zoom to really snipe effectively, the Sniper scope has too much zoom in most situations, and the medium-zoom Marksman scope was relegated to the shittastic Winfield.

Speaking of the Winfield, I almost never used it prior to 1.0 because I was just incapable of getting hits with it, because compact ammo has such a lower velocity, you had to really lead your shots a lot more. Since 1.0 I literally never use it just because of how loving slow it fires, you can now fire the Veterli as fast if not faster.

unrelated, https://streamable.com/44ant

*edit* the large influx of new players + the ability to have a secondary server region has made it so I don't think its taken me more than like 10 seconds to find a full game since 1.0 came out.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 31, 2019

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I'm gonna say it. I hate trios.
I think it ruins the original intended pacing and atmosphere and interplay of the game in favor of 'run faster boom harder' which is both stupid and, more damningly, boring.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Rysithusiku posted:

I think it ruins the original intended pacing and atmosphere and interplay of the game in favor of 'run faster boom harder' which is both stupid and, more damningly, boring.

You don't have to play against trios.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

I don't know, different strokes and all that but my and me buddies are having a ton of fun with it.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Yeah I like that trios opens up more options for flanking and distractions, like when my team splits up for mysterious reasons and is extremely murdered by the teams that aren't stupid and stick together.

It also makes for wild firefights.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

The concept and setting of this game seem really cool so I bought it today and died in the tutorial to the giant spider because I was terrified by its movement. Then I had to go to work. I got a long way to go but my first impressions were really good.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How many people use the in-game chat versus something like Discord or Steam chat? My buddy and I played during a free weekend and our absolute favorite part was hearing another pair and then hunting them down in complete silence while hearing the increasing panic in their voices as we closed in.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Coxswain Balls posted:

How many people use the in-game chat versus something like Discord or Steam chat? My buddy and I played during a free weekend and our absolute favorite part was hearing another pair and then hunting them down in complete silence while hearing the increasing panic in their voices as we closed in.

Anyone worth their salt uses discord. In game can be funny tho

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Awww, that's unfortunate. The sound design felt really good and the way voice chat played a part in it made the experience pretty intense at times. I had a feeling it wouldn't be a thing outside of really casual games though.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Its only used by people who for some strange reason play with random pubbie partners, or douchebag twitch streamers who use it just to show off.

The other day I was playing duos with my friend and my other friend was in discord with us playing solo waiting for us to finish. He was like "I'm following this guy and I'm gonna melee him in the back!"

Turns out he had bound discord and in-game to the same button so that guy heard him, turned around and shot him lmfao

unrelated: https://streamable.com/443kt

Basticle fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 1, 2019

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I absolutely love this game. The pre-game UI is an enormous, confusing mess though. I play solo with trios turned off and sneak around with melee and shotguns and crossbows. Y'all are loud as gently caress.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The absolute best way to play solo is to turn trios on and wait for two teams to fight each other and sneak in and take advantage of the chaos like this https://streamable.com/vg71s

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

In my first game after the tutorial I saw a guy getting chased by what looked like a swarm of locusts. I honestly thought he was an NPC because he was running through a wide open swamp area. I watched him for a few seconds and his character model actually did a double take toward me which is when I realized oh poo poo and we started jumping and shooting each other like crazy. I wonder if it was his first game too.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Skyarb posted:

I'm so disappointed with the sway reduction. Such a huge step backwards.

I too am annoyed. I feel like the weapon sway was removed from the console version but because they don't want to have 2 versions, they just made it the same on both PC and Xbox.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

E-Tank posted:

I too am annoyed. I feel like the weapon sway was removed from the console version but because they don't want to have 2 versions, they just made it the same on both PC and Xbox.

It's definitely a 'console appeal' change but alas dumbs it all down noticeably.

When they revert the movement 'momentum' I'll get really worried.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Is there a way to tell how much experience you've gained with a weapon? Do you need to actually get a kill with a weapon for it to gain experience?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Stokes posted:

Is there a way to tell how much experience you've gained with a weapon? Do you need to actually get a kill with a weapon for it to gain experience?

Kills with it help but do does killing monsters with it. Check the book of weapons for xp progress.

Also I never would have guessed but trios is great for solo because of the extra chaos. Got five solo extractions last night and one was a grand slam. People don't expect solos so you can reposition and just wreck havoc. Silenced weapons and crossbows are a boon.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Personal observation:

Before 1.0 at least 50% of my deaths were from the C96

After 1.0 at least 50% of my deaths are from the chain pistol with fanning. I guess everyone went to the next best thing?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Basticle posted:

Personal observation:

Before 1.0 at least 50% of my deaths were from the C96

After 1.0 at least 50% of my deaths are from the chain pistol with fanning. I guess everyone went to the next best thing?

Chain pistol and fanning is so much less bad than dolche. Also I almost never die to that, its typically pax fanning personally. But I will take that a million times over the dolche:

1) It can only be spammed at relatively short range, its just so drat innacurate past that. If you want to up your accuracy with fanning you can crouch but then you just become a headshot magnet. So really its only useful within I'd say 20 meters. and even then only truly effective within ~10. At the range your just as vulnerable to a side by side.

2) If you miss all of your shots have fun reloading forever! No more stripper clips.

3) Each shot does almost no damage unless bloom blesses you with a headshot.

Personally I love chain pistol with fanning and run it often but it is hardly broken.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I never said it was broken?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Basticle posted:

I never said it was broken?

Fair! Sorry I think I interpreted it that way because you were comparing it to the pre nerf dolche which was super broken

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ge_3cZLKcM

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Y'all should be happy, yesterdays update re-added weapon sway. The patchnotes say it was only increased slightly and only when moving while ADS'd but in my experience it seemed to be mostly back to pre-1.0 levels even when standing still, though I only tested a few guns.

*edit* emphasis mine:

quote:

***Developer Note:***With Update 1.0, we chose to tweak aiming with weapons towards a more accessible gunplay experience, reducing the sway patterns to make it easier for players to train and keep their sights on target. This is one of a number of balancing adjustments made to our weapons. These adjustments include (but aren't limited to): more realistic, slower bullet velocities for some weapons and torso shots registering in spite of any arm hitboxes in the way. While we are still happy with these changes, we have seen a comeback of ADAD sidestep dancing in combat, which players are using to reduce the chances of getting hit. At the same time, the reduced sway allows them to shoot with fairly high accuracy while strafing, so that it has started to become a dominant strategy in combat, which is not what we intended.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 12, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I dunno, I was seeing people on Reddit saying it's only a 10% increase and only when moving but then again, Reddit.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

idk, when the previous sway was pretty much nonexistent, 10% seems like a lot :v:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

It is barely existant. THe increase is minimal and it is still no where near what it was before. A step in the right direction but not enough.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/y0e1j

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I really wish added a LOT more sway while moving.
Guns still end up magically glued to your face, and the difference in 'sway' between moving, standing still and crouching is so minimal, you might as well never ever stop moving - as it just makes you an easy target.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I agree, I think the sway should go nuts when moving and maybe only slightly increase it while standing still. I was pretty excited to see those patch notes and then extremely disappointed when I got in game and tested it. Oh well, back to dancing in and out of cover and getting mad when I lose that game.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

help, i've been killed by an anime https://gfycat.com/soulfulfarawayeyas

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I know I'm in the minority on this but, except for a few minor things, I'm really enjoying the current version of the game.

What I'm not enjoying, however, is the fact that every single game the last 2-3 weeks has had constant lag spikes and server disconnects. I or my partner has been dropped from the server (and it dosent always tell you this!) at least once a night.

Crytek has claimed they arent sure why this is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Okay do I have a reason to not have Cadwell Conversion Chain and Fanning always as my secondary? I have about twenty hours in and I do well, killing bunch and often getting out alive. I struggle to see the point of other weapons.

I don’t know how much of it is the fact that it has a weird population, but with premade threesomes basic fireteam tactics are so loving effectice. Basic flanking will wreck the opposition.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 6, 2019