Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Re: bad soldiers; I watched The Debt Collector recently where a down-on-his-luck Scott Adkins is an ex-uk army troop turned martial arts instructor who goes into the collection business in America. Climax of the movie he and his partner are holed up in an apartment behind a flipped over sofa and bad guys come in slowly through a door 12 feet away - he is armed with an Uzi carbine and misses the bad guys

I was :eyepop: are you kidding me

Earthworm Jim tells me that's very realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ferrous posted:

I can't wait for the next film, "The Last Fassbender."

Well, in keeping with Ridley Scott's tradition, the next one will be called Fassbender3 :colbert:

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can't think of a movie that just existed on the screen more than Red Dragon. I was bored out of my mind in the theater and it's a movie where a tattooed Ralph Fiennes glues a naked Phillip Seymour Hoffman to a wheelchair, sets him on fire, and rolls him down the street for gently caress's sake.

Brett Ratner loving sucks.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

That Italian Guy posted:

Well, in keeping with Ridley Scott's tradition, the next one will be called Fassbender3 :colbert:

Fassb3nd3r!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Brett Ratner loving sucks.

Oh, trust me, I know. Just the poo poo he did to Ellen Page was bad enough, without going into his crimes against cinema.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Oh, trust me, I know. Just the poo poo he did to Ellen Page was bad enough, without going into his crimes against cinema.

The whatnow?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

The whatnow?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Ratner#Sexual_misconduct_allegations

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I can't think of a movie that just existed on the screen more than Red Dragon. I was bored out of my mind in the theater and it's a movie where a tattooed Ralph Fiennes glues a naked Phillip Seymour Hoffman to a wheelchair, sets him on fire, and rolls him down the street for gently caress's sake.
You mean you weren't moved when Ralph Finnes had Emily Watson over to his house and the music got all tense because you thought he was going to harm her, only for her to blow him on the couch?

Weirdo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Android Apocalypse posted:

You mean you weren't moved when Ralph Finnes had Emily Watson over to his house and the music got all tense because you thought he was going to harm her, only for her to blow him on the couch?

Weirdo.

I read that as "only for her to blow on the conch"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Imagined posted:

Also just once I'd like to see a movie with an indoor firefight where everyone is just loving deafened for the rest of the movie. A gun going off indoors is loving unbelievably loud.

It's not a movie, but on Archer, Archer got tinnitus from having a gun fired right by his ear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvQVzmJ0QPc

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

That Italian Guy posted:

Fass & The Furious

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Have you seen Manhunter? Be interested to know what you thought of that.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Schubalts posted:

It's not a movie, but on Archer, Archer got tinnitus from having a gun fired right by his ear.

Multiple times. That "MOP" sound he makes when he goes deaf from firing right next to his ear was an early running gag

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Sunswipe posted:

Have you seen Manhunter? Be interested to know what you thought of that.

Even though it's not as faithful to the book, or to Silence and Hannibal, I still prefer it because watching Red Dragon is like eating plain oatmeal while being reminded that the Quaker Oats guy is a rapist.

I also love Brian Cox and usually enjoy Mann's stuff.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Schubalts posted:

There’s “The Fugitive” and “Cop Land” too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
In Animal House, during the parade riot, Flounder's about to squirt Niedemeyer with a seltzer bottle. Niedemeyer puts a live round into his Enfield and shoots the bottle, which shatters.

Bullet would have gone right through the bottle and continued right into Flounder. And probably gone all the way through him as well.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At one point in Animal House, Pinto is trying to decide whether or not to have sex with an underage girl on the football field, and a small angel and small devil appear on either shoulder to give advice. This is ridiculous and impossible and takes you right out of the movie.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
That was in the frat house, not the football field. Jeeze.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That motorcycle would have ruined those stairs.

Also D-Day was far too young to have actually participated in D-Day.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You have reminded me that the directors commentary is apparently fantastic, and has the entire cast getting roaring drunk and silly. Which means I need to dig my dvd drive out the loft and reinstall it, but goddamn it's gonna be worth it.

The new collector's edition or the regular dvd?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Level 16: a movie that falls for the all too common trap of coasting on an interesting premise. It blew its entire load in the first half hour.

IIMM about it: there's NO way the revenue they would generate by offering these facial transplants would justify an enterprise like this. Buying young girls, keeping them captive for their entire lives up until the late teens, maintaining the prison facility...all for the handful of people on earth willing to support such a thing to get temporarily smooth skin? There's no way this skin farm is economically viable

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s astonishing that there are two Hannibal Lecter movies worse than Red Dragon somehow.

There are also two better ones though, so maybe it’s meant to be.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Re: bad soldiers; I watched The Debt Collector recently where a down-on-his-luck Scott Adkins is an ex-uk army troop turned martial arts instructor who goes into the collection business in America. Climax of the movie he and his partner are holed up in an apartment behind a flipped over sofa and bad guys come in slowly through a door 12 feet away - he is armed with an Uzi carbine and misses the bad guys

I was :eyepop: are you kidding me

Probably realistic. Most gunshots miss, especially automatics.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Level 16: a movie that falls for the all too common trap of coasting on an interesting premise. It blew its entire load in the first half hour.

IIMM about it: there's NO way the revenue they would generate by offering these facial transplants would justify an enterprise like this. Buying young girls, keeping them captive for their entire lives up until the late teens, maintaining the prison facility...all for the handful of people on earth willing to support such a thing to get temporarily smooth skin? There's no way this skin farm is economically viable

If recent news has taught me one thing it's that there is absolutely no way to make vast amounts of money from harming children for the benefit for a few super-rich patrons.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The new collector's edition or the regular dvd?

Regular. 25p on amazon. So old it still advertises interactive menus

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Even though it's not as faithful to the book, or to Silence and Hannibal, I still prefer it because watching Red Dragon is like eating plain oatmeal while being reminded that the Quaker Oats guy is a rapist.

Could be worse; the Scott's Porage Oats guy murdered a defenceless child.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Whybird posted:

If recent news has taught me one thing it's that there is absolutely no way to make vast amounts of money from harming children for the benefit for a few super-rich patrons.

I suppose I wasn't being fair, I was too focused on "would I pay for this" than "would dumb rich people pay for this". Like they could just go the normal plastic surgery route and get almost as good results, but it wouldn't be the first time people dramatically overpaid just to get "the best".

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Hell yeah!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jedit posted:

Okay, you get points for that one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Maybe the skin slaves could double as batteries to power robots.Find some good synergy between sci-fi movie plots.

But yeah, it's very difficult to raise meat eaters for any economically viable purpose, which is why every animal we eat en mass is feed cheap corn or grain. Maybe a crop of vegan girls? Is a all-plant diet good for your skin?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe the skin slaves could double as batteries to power robots.Find some good synergy between sci-fi movie plots.

But yeah, it's very difficult to raise meat eaters for any economically viable purpose, which is why every animal we eat en mass is feed cheap corn or grain. Maybe a crop of vegan girls? Is a all-plant diet good for your skin?

I wasn't paying too close attention to what they were eating, but I remember one girl got excited that it's "cabbage day" or something, so their food mustn't have been very good because honestly nobody gets that amped for cabbage.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

What's the story behind either of these?

Just, a weird thing to read first thing in the morning. Like finding out Tony the Tiger did the voice for the grinch or something.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Regular. 25p on amazon. So old it still advertises interactive menus

Neat, I'll pick it up. Been thinking of seeing the movie, and this just gives me an excuse. One of the things I really hate about streaming media is the lack of commentary, but thankfully on some bigger releases we get the option on the digital versions for commentary tracks now. I'd loving love it if netflix or amazon had an option to stream with commentary though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Aug 31, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Just, a weird thing to read first thing in the morning. Like finding out Tony the Tiger did the voice for the grinch or something.

The spokesperson for Scott's Porage Oats is Rory McCann, the actor that played Sandor "The Hound" Clean on Game of Thrones. One of the things he was ordered to do that ended up haunting him was murdering a defenseless child on orders from Prince Joffrey.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like when people say "A defenseless child" like it would have been any better if he'd given the kid a sword first so he could fight back.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

BioEnchanted posted:

I like when people say "A defenseless child" like it would have been any better if he'd given the kid a sword first so he could fight back.

whatever they're talking about wouldn't have happened if the child had had a gun

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The only defense against a bad kid with a gun is a good kid with a gun.

Also if it's a kid shooting a kid it makes it less awkward for the adults.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Neat, I'll pick it up. Been thinking of seeing the movie, and this just gives me an excuse. One of the things I really hate about streaming media is the lack of commentary, but thankfully on some bigger releases we get the option on the digital versions for commentary tracks now. I'd loving love it if netflix or amazon had an option to stream with commentary though.

To bring everything full circle - the director of Dog Soldiers, Neil Marshall, also directed the Game of Thrones episode Blackwater (and Watchers on the Wall), and the directors commentary on that has Peter Dinklage making fun of Lena Heady for not drinking.

He also directed a post-apocalyptic cannibal movie set in Scotland, which has probably the greatest scene in cinema history:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN7uqQnAxIc

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krispy Wafer posted:

The only defense against a bad kid with a gun is a good kid with a gun.

Also if it's a kid shooting a kid it makes it less awkward for the adults.

If both kids have guns the one that gets shot is the bad guy correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

If both kids have guns the one that gets shot is the bad guy correct?

Which one is White?

Okay. Next question, which one is Whiter?